Official Haze (PS3) Thread

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
HAZE Demo has been released on the European PSN Store today. Not sure if we get it this thursday or not. but here are the first impressions. i still have it as a rental on my list on gamefly.

I’ve just downloaded the Haze demo (1557mb) from the European Playstation Store and here’s my initial verdict.

Graphics - 8/10

My first impressions on the graphics were WOW. The look and feel is great. Haze looks so much better when actually seeing it on your 40″ HDTV. The videos you see on the internet aren’t very good and doesn’t show what this game is capable of. The explosions look great and the firefights suffer no slowdown at all and runs at a solid frame rate.

The foliage, trees etc make it look like your in a real jungle. During my time of playing i didn’t notice any jaggies or blury graphics in the background, it looked solid and crisp. Oh and for those that want to know Haze runs at 720p max, it won’t run at 1080p.

Sound and Music - 8/10

The voice acting in this Haze is top notch no complaints here. Guns sound good enough, the explosions sound real, there is a lot going on and the sound does well to keep up. No problems with the sound and music. During firefights there are explosions going off, team mates shouting, enemies calling etc. It’s all good.

Gameplay - 9/10

Although i only had a short play through the demo i can tell you that the game is very fun play. The gameplay mechanics are excellent with the use of nectar to boost your movements, strength and to easily see the enemies work well. The controls are good, the learning curve is around 30 minutes. Haze uses the pretty much the same controls as your standard first person shooter with triggers to shoot, X to jump etc.

Co-op - 9/10

This is where i spent most of my time. Playing co-op over the Playstation Network suffered no lag at all and it’s super fun! Me and a friend teamed to go up against the AI through the campaign mode.

There is a lobby system when looking for a game to join and, its easy to use and navigate, you won’t have a problem joining a game. I havent witnessed any connection problems either, i’ve always connected first time.

This is probably where we will spend most of our time playing Haze.

Overall - 8/10

I had a good experience playing through Haze, the cut scenes are good, the voice acting is great and the gameplay is even better. If you havent played Haze yet, download the demo from the European Playstation Store. You will probably play through single player one or two times and then spend the rest of your time online. I’d say Free Radical have done a fantastic job.

I will be buying Haze when it’s released later this month purely because co-op is fun!

Here are some screenshots that i took:- (pictures of the tv LOL)

haze-screenshot01-394x296.jpg

haze-screenshot02-394x296.jpg

The Haze demo went up on the European PlayStation Store today and I had a chance to play through it a few times. At first, the game feels a lot like Crysis. You’re in the middle of a very nice looking jungle in an enhanced suit taking out enemies. You go through a series of small of objectives (clear the area, move to point A, clear the area, move to point B, clear the area, move to point C, clear the area…). It gets a bit repetitive, but that’s how shooters are these days.

The graphics are fairly nice and the demo runs at a constant framerate with no noticeable slowdown no matter how many enemies you’re taking out. The one problem I have graphically is interacting with the environment. You’re in a huge lush forest and brushing by leaves and branches does nothing. In games like Crysis and Halo 3, when you’re in a jungle, these things move when you hit them. It’s a bit disappointing to see this type of thing neglected by developers still.

Haze has a solid control set which is typical of most FPS games. You use R1 to shoot, L1 to throw grenades, and most of your standard controls apply. The big addition is L2 to use Nectar. If you haven’t heard much about the game, Nectar is some special JuJu that makes you faster, stronger, more accurate… the best soldier you can be. You carry 6 vials of Nectar and can inject yourself at any time to improve your abilities by holding L2. You have to be careful not to hold it too long and inject too much Nectar or you get pretty messed up (inability to control yourself, shooting continuously all over the place and killing teammates, etc.). While hopped up on the juice, enemies appear glowing on the battlefield and your aim is greatly improved. If you need to snipe anyone, Nectar makes it easier. Hitting someone with a melee attack (R2) on Nectar is a ton of fun as well as enemies go flying about 20 feet away.

The demo is fairly short and is pretty easy. I played through a couple times on Normal and it took me about 20 minutes each time. I haven’t tested out the 4 player co-op aspects of the demo yet, but having real people instead of AI is usually a plus (although the AI is very good in this game).

Even after playing the demo, I’m still worried this will fall into the cracks of “just another FPS”. Nectar is fun and 4 player co-op is nice, but there’s really not much here to differentiate from the flood of other great shooters on the market. At this point, I’m probably going to classify Haze as a rental.

Jagi

OG Investor
Haze Demo Coming To US PlayStation Network Tomorrow (5/8/08)

Today, Ubisoft confirmed that a playable demo for Haze will be coming to the US PlayStation Store tomorrow. The demo was released yesterday on the European PlayStation Network, following the PlayStation Day event. The demo features a sample of the single-player campaign, online 2-4 player co-op (drop-in/drop-out play), and 2-player split-screen play.

From Ubisoft: "Haze 4 Player Co-op / Campaign Demo: *Salva Region*:
It’s finally time to feed your addiction…the playable demo for Haze has arrived. Take a Nectar-induced romp solo style, or with 3 of your friends in fierce co-op action through the Salva Region, a bright and high-octane environment, where explosions are huge and delightful, and deaths are fleeting and meaningless. It’s the only place on earth where you can blow a stranger’s head off with a jolly smile on your face. The green-orange vegetation teams with primary-coloured, unthreatening wildlife for the marines to trample all over. The sunshine beats down in comforting waves as you merrily murder your fellow man. This world makes you feel confident. Artificially so and like a dream."

PRESS RELEASE
MEDIA ALERT: HAZE – *4 Player Co-op / Campaign Demo Now Available Exclusively on the PLAYSTATION®Network*

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: 6th May, 2008 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, today announced the release of a fully playable demo for Haze, the new first-person shooter set in a harsh future where war is never quite what it seems. Available exclusively on the PLAYSTATION®Network, this playable demo gives gamers a taste of not only the single-player campaign in Haze, but also allows for up to four-player, drop-in drop-out co-op play online, via LAN or even 2 player split-screen. The demo is now available across Europe, and will go live on the PLAYSTATION®Network on 8th May in the U.S. Developed by shooter experts Free Radical, creators of the critically acclaimed TimeSplitters® series, Haze is scheduled for release exclusively on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system on May 23rd 2008 in EMEA territories. Haze is rated “18+” by PEGI.

Haze 4 Player Co-op / Campaign Demo: *Salva Region*
It’s finally time to feed your addiction…the playable demo for Haze has arrived. Take a Nectar-induced romp solo style, or with 3 of your friends in fierce co-op action through the Salva Region, a bright and high-octane environment, where explosions are huge and delightful, and deaths are fleeting and meaningless. It’s the only place on earth where you can blow a stranger’s head off with a jolly smile on your face. The green-orange vegetation teams with primary-coloured, unthreatening wildlife for the marines to trample all over. The sunshine beats down in comforting waves as you merrily murder your fellow man. This world makes you feel confident. Artificially so and like a dream.

For more information on Haze, please visit www.hazegame.com.

© 2008 Ubisoft Entertainment and Free Radical Design Limited. All Rights Reserved. Haze is a trademark of Ubisoft Entertainment and Free Radical Design. Free Radical Design and its associated logo are trademarks of Free Radical Design Limited. Ubisoft, Ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are registered trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. Developed by Free Radical Design Limited. “PlayStation”, “PLAYSTATION” and “PS” Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

About Ubisoft
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 24 countries and sales in more than 55 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. For the 2007-08 fiscal year Ubisoft forecasts generated sales of 920 million Euros. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

About Free Radical:
Founded in 1999, Free Radical Design is one of the UK’s leading independent video game developers and is now wholly focused on next-generation development. It recently achieved its first listing in the Sunday Times Microsoft Tech Track 100, being one of the UK’s fastest-growing technology companies. To learn more, please visit www.frd.co.uk.

Jagi

OG Investor

The long-awaited demo of Haze is now up on the Euro PlayStation Store. The demo includes only a single, short level from the campaign, playable both alone and online with up to four players. The online play is seamless: other players merely fill the roles of the various Mantel troopers who are already fighting with you.

As Mantel troopers working through a jungle in the demo, you and your squad will quickly learn to love the drug "Nectar." Using the drug in-game boosts your abilities, making you a much more effective soldier. What's amazing about this mechanic is Nectar quickly becomes a crutch; it gives you such a significant edge in battle that, after a while, you'll begin to feel naked without it. Kills don't feel as good, the battlefield doesn't look as manageable, you run slower, you feel weaker. It's uncanny the way that the palpable feeling of need is injected into the game. What's more, if you can continuously chain rebel kills and shoot through the competition while keeping your adrenaline high, you'll become more and more powerful, to the point where you become almost invincible. Just be careful not to go overboard, or you'll quickly find yourself overdosing. The overdose isn't just for show, you'll begin firing wildly and may even commit suicide.

ars_haze_screen1.jpg

As you move through the straightforward early level, learning the ropes as fresh recruit Shane Carpenter, you'll only have enough time to come to terms with the general controls and flow of play before the demo ends. Those with an exposure to the Halo series will feel immediately at home, as the experience is quite similar. You're behind Shane's mask, the GUI is worked into the interface of the helmet, the NPCs talk amongst themselves while you move with your squad, and the game play is peppered with short, intense set pieces. You're even limited to two weapons at a time, which will likely lead to situations common in Halo where you'll have to make some hard and fast decisions on what to carry.

Graphically, Haze holds its own. The demo doesn't showcase anything unprecedented: like most of Free Radical's games, the art style and the frame rate will be the main draws. The use of Nectar gives the game some graphical kick, as the rush of the drug and the use of motion blur go hand-in-hand; and the blur effects feel more appropriate than in other games. The same goes for the audio, as simple things that are easy to take for granted make the biggest difference. The beating of Shane's heart after multiple Nectar-aided kills adds punch. One issue I noticed, though, was that the demo doesn't seem to support 1080i properly: the images looked extremely washed out until I tried it at 720p.

While the core FPS action lives up to Free Radical's pedigree of tight, refined shooting, the story, the two wildly different forces you'll get to play as in the final game, and the use of Nectar make Haze a more interesting title than the Timesplitters games. There's more to the action than straight-out shooting. It's the asymmetry of the two playable factions in Haze that will make it worth playing, especially the multiplayer. Haze hits stores on May 20.

Jagi

OG Investor
Haze? from the pics it looks like a halo for ps3

thats the general idea i'm getting from most of the reviews. i started a separate thread for it because people were asking about it in other threads and its out this month. would have gotten more hype if it had come out last xmas holiday.

TripleTags Haze Demo Impressions

Simply put, Haze has been a long time coming. Originally planned to release across the 360, PS3 and PC last Summer, then pushed until Winter and given much-debated exclusivity rights to the PS3 before once again being delayed to May 2008, this is a game that has been off and on many gamer's radar for some time. Featuring a group of private soldiers fighting for... well, it's still up in the air what they are fighting for, the exact plot of the game being a bit hazy at this point (Sorry, but you knew that was coming). What we do know is that the game features a change of allegiance mid game, massive amounts of performance-enhancing hallucinogens, an unhealthy obsession with things bee related, and a more serious tone than past Free Radical titles. Thanks to a new demo on the EU Store (and set to assault the US this Thursday), we also know it features solid gameplay, decent graphics and a fun co-op experience.

We'll start with the graphics, which once looked impressive, at least until Uncharted and Crysis showed up setting two distinctly higher bars for virtual jungles. Although nothing special, they do their job for the title with nice effects and filtering used throughout to convey a convincing environment. Leaves, trees, flowers and grass abound—all static and completely oblivious to your movement or the explosions that look good but can't seem to level anything more than a rebel soldier. Compared to the afore mentioned titles, Haze feels somewhat flat and boring graphically, but the effects of the Nectar on your vision are well handled, the lighting is good, dust and smoke are actually quite impressive and in the end it works. Worth mentioning is the HUD, which is incorporated into the visor that Mantel soldiers wear. It does a good job of conveying the needed information without being too intrusive, and the slight yellow highlighting and overall shape and presentation further the immersion in the world as your character sees it.

The sound fares somewhat better than the graphics, but still doesn't amaze. Guns clatter away loudly, explosions sound suitably violent, and the various sounds in the background fill your room with the ambience of the jungle when it isn't being ripped apart by the fighting. The music amps up as battle starts, and quickens in pace futher as you inject Nectar and hear the reassuring sound that you quickly come to love. Some OK voice acting, with actors who were either hamming it up because they were told to, or simply because they felt like it—either way, it fits the bravado of these drug-fueled super soldiers. Together the sound and the visuals work well enough, but can't compete with what really matters here, the actual gameplay.

This is where the title comes together, as we should expect from the people who brought us the TimeSplitters series. The shooting is solid, whether you are zoomed in and hopped-up on Nectar pulling headshots on the glowing shapes left and right, or firing madly at the two rebels who flanked you while you were focused on their buddies across the map. The guns rattle away, dealing an appropriate amount of damage without feeling either weak or overpowered. It's already apparent that the pedigree of FPS titles under Free Radical's belt pays off in the balanced feel of the weaponry and how it all controls. To top it off the Nectar, which could be nothing more than a gimmick, is actually a cool addition and will definitely play a major role in not just the story but the fighting itself, whatever side you're on. You'll find yourself hitting the L2 button regularly as another battle starts up, hearing the sound of it being administered, the screen warping for a second and then seeing the glowing shapes that are just begging to be shot at. Kill a rebel and another shot hits your bloodstream, keeping you on a Nectar high of death-dealing and general destruction. Hold it too long, or get shot in the right spot and an overdose of Nectar quickly shows how important it will be to the rebels as well, with spastic controls and a tight grip on the trigger as you start unloading your gun into the black shapes you think are the enemy, but soon realize were your allies. Other than a brief "Nectar Disruption" the darker side of this wonder drug is only alluded to, but it's obvious already that the game intends to make some statements and show another face of war. Unfortunately you can't play as the rebels in the demo, but from what has already been shown the trade off of strength and technology for stealth and strategy will be interesting. This should make for a great twist in the campaign, and a great multiplayer experience pitting brute force against cunning. To top it off the game runs smoothly, never slowing down or dropping a frame. It's locked in at 30fps and feels good at that. This is a tight, responsive shooter that's easy to get into.

In the end, this game is not only very playable but with the addition of the online 4 player co-op, actually a lot of fun. This is going to be the mode to play through the campaign on, and hopefully a sign of things to come in a more traditional multiplayer. I'll admit that my first time through I didn't think it was anything special, but after a few more rounds and trying the online co-op I'm starting to change my mind. I'm hoping that when the game releases, the chaotic run&gun style of play from the demo will turn into a somewhat more tactical experience for the rebels. The bright, almost superhero like costuming and testosterone fueled banter of your Mantel squad fits their drug-induced world of being a supersoldier nicely as well. I'm sure that the rebel side of the campaign will be more strategic, a bit slower and much darker, showing a slightly more realistic side of war. This juxtaposition of ideas about what war is will hopefully help propel this game past being just another shooter, even if it's already a fun one. Graphically it won't blow anyone away, the sound won't push your surround setup to any new heights, but Free Radical shows why in the end gameplay is king. It's not likely to make many waves or dramatically change the FPS genre in any way, but it looks as though Haze will deliver a fun, and hopefully thought-provoking experience when it arrives later this month.

Jagi

OG Investor
guess thats the only alternative since Killzone 2 has ben delayed to feb 09

another mistake by sony. i know they dont want to put killzone and resistance against each other but i'm seriously hoping the 2009 release is UK only. i just want the game out so the nightmare behind it can be over.

Jagi

OG Investor

[FLASH]http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=213468[/FLASH]

PlayStation Day 2008 is over but our coverage continues! We're also enjoying the spoils to be found on the European PlayStation Store. In particular, we're talking about the Haze demo which we fired up and took out for a spin. North Americans without Euro accounts can get their nectar dosage tomorrow. While we've played the demo and have written our thoughts here, reader Chris G. shares his gameplay footage through the Haze trial play. So read our thoughts and check out the vid (or not the vid, if you wish not to spoil the experience before you give it a go).

The demo starts off with a firefight in the middle of the jungle. There's no real explanation as to why you're there but that doesn't matter too much for a demo. The controls are standard as far as shooters go, move with the left analog stick, aim with the right, and fire with a shoulder button. Left-handed players will be glad to see control options for them.

Anyway, the thing that deviates from the typical formula is the inclusion of the nectar drug which heightens one's senses and actually makes killing easier. When you inject yourself will a limited supply of nectar, you can zoom in farther, your melee attack is stronger, and enemies glow a bright orange giving away their position. While this is a strategic enhancement, at times it does tend to feel more like a distraction deviating from the main action. We're sure the story aspect of nectar will be fleshed out through the final game, but it doesn't come through in the demo, which feels a bit like a heavy weight dragging the experience down.

haze_screenshot_landcarrier_10.jpg

haze_screenshot_landcarrier_9.jpg

haze_screenshot_finalscreen_8.jpg

haze_screenshot_finalscreen_7.jpg

haze_screenshot_finalscreen_6.jpg

haze_screenshot_finalscreen_5.jpg

haze_screenshot_finalscreen_1.jpg

hazedemoscreena.jpg

hazef8.jpg

hazef6.jpg

hazef5.jpg

hazef4.jpg

hazef3.jpg

hazef2.jpg

Another note on nectar input, we noticed that not injecting oneself after awhile caused a "nectar distortion" message to flash and everything going hazy. What exactly happened and the consequences of this are not entirely certain as a real-life panic attack ensued and we quickly injected nectar into our computerized character's system to stabilize. Unfortunately, we couldn't get it to reappear.

The single player campaign was an average experience. It's what you expect from the genre, but there's nothing really more to it. The online four-player co-op is, on the other hand, a much better experience as it conjures up the feeling of really working as a team and being a specialized squad. The four-player co-op campaign took place on the same mission as the single player, if anyone wants to know. The two player split screen is divided vertically. There appears to be no way to change that in the demo.

Overall, the demo was fairly fun, though it does seem like a genre generic title ... and by the merit of this demo alone, shooter fans probably may have felt the experience seemed a little too close to another shooter by a single name of four letters (well at least the very beginning). Can you guess which one?

Jagi

OG Investor

We downloaded the Haze demo yesterday. At last, we could actually play the game free from all the exclusivity shenanigans; free from the talk of the how’s and why’s of the delay; free from all the politics - it was just us and the game. Finally. Is it any good?

We found ourselves immediately under attack in a dense jungle: bullets flying everywhere, yells from our AI-controlled team-mates and the on-rushing enemies. Being no stranger to FPS’, we instantly ran to the nearest piece of cover and made an advance. Seconds later, the tutorial appeared telling how to use Nectar in order to proceed.

Nectar, for those in the dark, is a performance-enhancing drug that increases your accuracy over distance and makes you a little bit harder than everyone else on the playing field.

We hit ourselves up, and the first thing we noticed was that everyone else on the battlefield was covered in a yellow… nectar (strangely enough). We found that we could literally stand there, soak up the gun-fire and pick our enemies off at will. Of course, a nectar shot doesn’t last forever and too much dwindling around in open spaces ’sober’ will get you killed.

In fact, here’s a good time to mention the AI. Hats off to Free Radical in this respect as there are no easy kills here. You enemy uses the environment well, takes cover, rolls out of the way when seen and is generally a worthy opponent. No cannon fodder here.

However, they’re assisted by a very twitchy aiming system. It felt a lot like TimeSplitters (funnily enough) in this respect, and to be honest we’re hoping that the look-sensitivity can be adjusted in the final version: the slightest movement of the analogue stick felt as though you almost spun round 180 degrees.

Also, the Nectar effect isn’t as all encompassing as we’d expected. We can’t describe it any other way than to say we didn’t feel like we were some kind of drugged-up nutter who could rip-up trees with his bare hands and wrestle elephants and other such super-human feats. Which was a bit of let down to be honest, and hopefully the effect will be more pronounced in the final game.

The campaign is punctuated by real-time cut-scenes in which you’re free to look around as you’re being spoken to and take in the finer graphical points. Pretty, they are, too.

These in-game sequences are the plot-delivery devices and also serve as checkpoints. No sooner than it’s over, you’re on the move again - no loading times, no FMV. We liked that a lot: the gameplay was never dampened or slowed at all, and we hear it’s like this throughout the whole game.

A few checkpoints later and a little bit more blasting and we found ourselves at the end. In fact, playing on medium difficulty we clocked the demo in just under 15 minutes, so it’s very short. However given the nature of the AI, we doubt you’ll have the same experience twice, which in itself gets a double thumb-up from us. Also, as we don’t have any friends, we couldn’t try out the four player co-op, which given our experiences with Halo 3 is always lots of fun.

We reckon the best way to sum up the demo was that we were left wanting more, which is always a positive. However, to fully praise it without pointing out the rather disappointing Nectar effect together with the all too sensitive aiming system, wouldn’t be fair. It is also worth pointing out that Free Radical has plastered a disclaimer on the menu screen saying that this version isn’t the final one.

So, with all that in mind we’d say it felt like a solid FPS whose story-driven campaign and lush graphics could well take it over and above the norm. However, as with every demo, it’s far too early to say.

Chitown

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
another mistake by sony. i know they dont want to put killzone and resistance against each other but i'm seriously hoping the 2009 release is UK only. i just want the game out so the nightmare behind it can be over.
Its not a mistake the game is so big and massive (budget and asset wise) that it isn't ready. From the footage that has been shown you can tell that it has been and will continue to be one big massive undertaking. Anything but a steller showing from that game will be a massive let down for Sony.

Jagi

OG Investor
Its not a mistake the game is so big and massive (budget and asset wise) that it isn't ready. From the footage that has been shown you can tell that it has been and will continue to be one big massive undertaking. Anything but a steller showing from that game will be a massive let down for Sony.

the mistake is the momentum.. just when you might get excited they delay it.

just like home and just like this Haze. which i'm giving the Demo a good run through now.

its just not as exciting and thrilling as it should be. the story is what sets it apart.

_______

on haze

having played Halo. the maps etc are pretty much halo. the jungle looks pretty much the same except for it being brighter.

haze, (which was hyped and pushed back like killzone) shows its age.

if you have played halo and own/or have access to both a 360 and ps3 you may want to save your money and rent this one based on the demo. you get the "been there done that" feeling.

if you are a ps3 owner and need a shooter thats different from cod4 and mgo coming out. haze may satisfy your needs.

it looks fucking great and handles very well. i'm actually liking the game but its nothing I haven't done before.

this would have been a great game to have launched last year maybe to be the Halo contender. side by side comparisons would be nice to see the similarities more. but they are different games in a lot of ways. its not really a clone but its not going to scare the leaders in the genre.

one thing thats obviously different is the story. which i'm actually interested in seeing through. the nectar/drug hallucinations are interesting.

there are hints of cracks in reality and perception. i even overdosed once and lost it shooting aimlessly at everyone and anyone including teammates before they turned on me (which plays a factor on online play) ... very cool.

haven't tried co-op. maybe tonight.

based on what i have seen so far. could have been a great xmas holiday release in 2007. its a good game in spring 08 with a release date just a month or less earlier than metal gear solid 4 and metal gear online as well as behind cod4 w/recent map pack.

i'll be back later with an online review. i may round up some bgol ps3 folk for some co-op later on tonight.

_______

thats where i put killzone if they keep playing the release date game. i'm just glad i wasnt super hyped about haze, killzone 2 or home.

with the need for sony to flex its muscle, drop some titles etc..

i would have preferred moving SOCOM up to august. Resistance 2 in october and killzone 2 in december.

aside from mgs4, mgo, lbp, heavy rain, heist all the multiplatform games coming out. haze is going to sadly slip through the cracks. which is a shame.

haze still has a chance, but not the originally predicted one sales wise. it is a quality game worth playing it just feels ....late.

how's everyone else feel about the demo so far?

the first night i tried it on thursday i was drunk and today is when i'm actually giving the demos some love (just played the bourne demo)

Chitown

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thats Sony's MO though. Their fans just haven't caught on to it yet. They over promise and under deliver. They have been doing this since the PS1 days. The plan is to keep stringing people along (Read waiting) until their promises come to fruition.

ChosenAkaTheOne

Potential Star
Registered
I'm feelin Haze, Halo 3 was way overhyped and I'm more of a story game anyway. So while COD4 was good, it wasnt no resistance 2 me. Haze tho, im ready 2 fuck wit it just cause opposite sides can do opposite things.

marvel83

Star
Registered
Thats Sony's MO though. Their fans just haven't caught on to it yet. They over promise and under deliver. They have been doing this since the PS1 days. The plan is to keep stringing people along (Read waiting) until their promises come to fruition.

Sony didn't make Haze Ubisoft did. So if the game falls short of expectations its the Developers fault not the console company. Haze was a Multi Console game at first, but for whatever reason the 360 and PC versions were canceled.

Its not Sony's fault that Madden or Orange Box fell very short of expectations for PS3 is it?

Chitown

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sony didn't make Haze Ubisoft did. So if the game falls short of expectations its the Developers fault not the console company. Haze was a Multi Console game at first, but for whatever reason the 360 and PC versions were canceled.

Its not Sony's fault that Madden or Orange Box fell very short of expectations for PS3 is it?
Read upward some more fam.... my response's to Jagi were in relation to Killzone 2...

Real2DaC0re

Rising Star
Registered
i played the demo and that shit is str8 garbage. im suprise ubisoft made a game this weak. the demo is on psn go check it out.

QwietStorm

Star
Registered
i played the demo and that shit is str8 garbage. im suprise ubisoft made a game this weak. the demo is on psn go check it out.

Ubisoft didn't make it, Free Radical did, and I think the game plays great. I don't know if people are spoiled with the abundance of FPS games out there or if they just had super high expectations, but I don't understand where the complaints are coming from with Haze, especially after playing it. The game just FEELS good. The people at Free Radical made Goldeneye, Timesplitters, and Second Sight. They know what they're doing. Just like the reviews above say, the mechanics are great, and the demo left me wanting to play more.

Chitown

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ubisoft didn't make it, Free Radical did, and I think the game plays great. I don't know if people are spoiled with the abundance of FPS games out there or if they just had super high expectations, but I don't understand where the complaints are coming from with Haze, especially after playing it. The game just FEELS good. The people at Free Radical made Goldeneye, Timesplitters, and Second Sight. They know what they're doing. Just like the reviews above say, the mechanics are great, and the demo left me wanting to play more.
Yeah Free Radical has a great FPS pedigree but Haze looks very generic from the game play videos and footage that I've seen. I haven't gotten a chance to play the demo because I haven't picked up my PS3 yet but that joint won't even be on my radar when I do. What are some of the specific things that make you say the game feels good?

Jagi

OG Investor
Yeah Free Radical has a great FPS pedigree but Haze looks very generic from the game play videos and footage that I've seen. I haven't gotten a chance to play the demo because I haven't picked up my PS3 yet but that joint won't even be on my radar when I do. What are some of the specific things that make you say the game feels good?

and thats my point with Haze's (and any other MAJOR delay)

haze is what almost a year past original release date?

i dont hate the game. i'm just not WOWed.

the gameplay is solid. meaning it works without flaw. the story behind is also a departure from more of your classic aliens want our resources kill them plots. that to me is huge as i've said story to me is big.

but thats different for everyone. i played halo 3 all the way through in campaign mode. others are still playing the shit out of the multiplayer but have yet to even see the opening story to halo 3's campaign mode.

the game also features no loading time.

Again, i can compare halo 3 to it. but many ps3 owners dont have a 360 and for them this is a good game especially if they are not mgs4/mgo fans and are actually waiting on other titles. some people are mgs4 fans but arent fans of mgo so again this fps that has 4 player co-op is a good addition.

i definately plan on renting it and playing it through, just like i did dark sector, condemned 2 and a few others.

just dont go into this game expecting salvation.

the haze and playstation forums are split down the middle. they either extremely hate it or are extremely psyched.

Jagi

OG Investor
HAZE, Your Questions Answered

Hi guys, this is Ubi_Wuzzi! First I wanted to thank everyone for reading my first post last week about the demo of HAZE. Your comments and feedback are much appreciated, so please keep them coming.

Since last week, I hope you enjoyed the demo and that you did not make any abusive use of Nectar. From what we saw, it seems that you enjoyed playing this demo. Yet, we noticed that some of you found the demo too easy, for those ones the suggestion is to try the Hard mode. (You may also be glad to know that an Ultra Hard mode is unlockable in the final version of the game!) From some other comments I read, I wanted to clarify that the game runs at 720p resolution.

Now for this week’s entry, I brought answers to several of your questions. I hope they make things clearer, otherwise feel free to post additional questions here or check out the “Ask the Devs!” thread in the Haze forums.
________
From k.j.khaos :

Will the game support four-player Co-op offline or just online?

The four-players Co-op mode is supported online, and offline via LAN by linking two PS3 with two players split screen per PS3.

From the_icon :

Will the game support 4 player co-op and multiplayer in split screen? How much of the game-play takes place in open environments vs enclosed spaces?

The game supports two players split screen per PS3 in Co-op and multiplayer. You can connect two PS3 with 2 players playing split screen to make it four players. And you can even LAN four consoles to play four versus four… if you want to. And, it’s an even split for gameplay in open vs closed environments. It ranges from claustrophobic firefights to stunning unbroken vistas - but you will be too busy with the action to take in the view.

From P_tear_griffin :

Will there be customizable elements to some weapons aside from nectar enhancement?

No need. The power of Nectar and the rebels resourcefulness will give you all the firepower you need.

From wocyob:

How long will the game be?

The campaign will take you through twelve places, but there are no levels as usually meant. The whole story will take place over three long days and nights, without any loading times whatsoever. The time you will need to go from the beginning to the end pretty much depends on your skills and the level of difficulty you chose. It can be shorter if you are especially skilled or much longer if you are especially average! ;)

From whoelse:

What inspired you to make Haze including the use of ‘Nectar’?

Nectar is everything. It shapes the gameplay throughout.

From ghamdikh1:

Does this game support the SIXAXIS?

Yes, and it can get you out of some life threatening situations… As an example, you can use it to pull out a knife or extinguish flames when you are on fire.

From ghamdikh1:

Does this game have an option to install the game to the hard drive?

We install some data, but not the whole game. The disc will still be needed to launch the game.

________

I think we’re done for today. Thanks everyone for reading!

Before ending this post, I wanted to share with you these wallpapers of funny Tiny Troopers. I hope you will like them!

2490213751_0889b8045e.jpg

2491030068_56153fe8be.jpg

2490212921_145798d7c5.jpg

2490212605_40e840de3d.jpg

warlock

Potential Star
Registered
I am getting it. The demo was made last year. They have improved this game tremendously since then.

Nok17

Star
Registered
We'll see. The demo for this game sucks. You try to tell anyone on playstation forums that and they make every excuse in the world about it . The full game better be good, i'm mostly getting it for the multiplayer.

Jagi

OG Investor
Haze Week; 5 things you may not know about Haze

Haze Week begins at PS3 Attitude - check back every day for new Haze content, information and exclusives... plus details of our biggest competition yet!

Let's start the ball rolling with a few details you may have missed during the recent information storm surrounding Haze.

1. Multiplayer has 8 modes, not 3

Whilst you may be excused for thinking that Haze only has three multiplayer game types - Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Team Assault - the reality is that Team Assault has a lot more to offer than it seems.

Each of the six maps has a different Team Assault mode, changing the multiplayer gameplay depending on which landscape you choose to fight in.

2. The script brings people out of retirement

Carlos Riera, a Spanish star who plays Gabriel "Skin Coat" Merino (the leader of the rebels), apparently came out of retirement to do the voice acting after having read the script. Of course, we gleaned this fact from scriptwriter, Rob Yescombe...

The voice talent also includes Rupert Evans, who has been seen in films such as Hellboy and on the sci-fi TV series Lexx.

3. Spanish people love Haze

The acting for the various rebel soldiers was performed by a group of Mexican actors who happened to be in the UK performing Shakespeare at the time when Free Radical were recording the voices.

Consequently, the accents and inflections are spot on, and that's one of the reasons the Spanish press seem to have really latched on to Haze.

4. The single-player campaign will take you about 8-10 hours to complete

Like that other great FPS title, CoD4,the single-player campaign could be seen as a relatively short experience.

However, just like that other FPS, it is an emotional ride with a great story and a real sense of involvement. The main difference between the two titles is the switch from one distinct style of fighting (when playing as the dosed-up Troopers) to another (the nimble and resourceful rebels).
Of course, this is only in Normal difficulty. Hard is particularly challenging and completing the game in that mode unlocks Extra Hard, in which you die... a lot!

5. Separated at birth
skin_coat_haze-769341.gif
david_doak-721967.gif

"Skin Coat" looks remarkably like one of the Directors of Free Radical, David Doak. Take a look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

Jagi

OG Investor
Haze 4v4 Tournament Announced

2505929118_4a3d74de7d_o.jpg

Ubisoft, Game Crazy, and the GGL have partnered to create a 4 vs 4 Haze tournament. Registration is open now with the tournament set to begin 06/04/08 to 08/03/08. You can find the official tournament page here.

Official Release:
Ubisoft, Game Crazy, and GGL have teamed up to bring you an Official Haze 4v4 Tournament, where the top squad can win $5,000! The second place squad takes home two Ubisoft games per player, and everyone gets to join in on the thrill of heated competition.

The game drops on 5/20/08 but we'll open up a Practice Ladder right here on 5/14/08 - join the group and start finding teammates now, so you can join the ladder and start challenging and playing opponents as soon as it opens. On 6/4/08 the Practice Ladder will be reset (all squads' records and points set to 0), and we will start the official Ladder Stage. You can challenge other squads, play matches, and move up and down the ladder. Points are awarded not only for winning, but also just for playing, so the more you play the better you will do! At the end of the Ladder Stage on 7/13/08, the top 64 squads will advance to a single-elimination bracket, and the winner of the Bracket Stage takes home the $5,000!

This is a team tournament, so if you need help finding players for your squad, you can try our 'Find/Form a Squad' forum. This prize tournament is open to U.S. residents only, but Haze players from anywhere in the world are welcome to join open competition ladders on GGL's Haze Game Group.

Haze is one of the hottest new titles out for the PS3, so join now, invite your friends, form your squad, challenge opponents, and play!