**Official Apple WWDC-08/Apple iPhone 2.0 thread**

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
[warning:angry:]

I am upfront requesting that this sandbox here is meant for productive conversation so ALL THE HATERS PLEASE CREATE YOUR OWN (I hate Apple) THREAD.

[/warning:angry:]

Thanks much appreciated.:D

Today at 1pm EST (10 AM PST) Steve Jobs and friends will give will host another Keynote event. The most anticipated event will be an announcement of iPhone 2.0 which if the price is going to be what they say it will be, will be the cheapest iPhone ever, and the most corporate compatible in the iPhone short lived existence. PLUS the much wanted 3G capability!!

Its been a few months since the newest SDK was released so I can't wait to see what sick applications have been made with it.:dance:

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
Some news WWDC speculations. :yes:

Fortune said:
Apple 2.0
Mac news from outside the reality distortion field

The World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) that opens Monday morning in San Francisco would be a relatively obscure technical gathering of programmers and IT administrators - with sessions on “Advances in OpenGL” and “What’s New in Objective-C” - were it not for one thing.

Steve Jobs.

The keynote address that Apple’s CEO is scheduled to give starting at 10 am Pacific Time (1 pm ET) is perhaps the second most closely watched event in high tech - after the opening speech Jobs gives every January at Macworld.

In the audience at Moscone West’s main hall will be - in addition to thousands of developers (WWDC sold out for the first time this year) - hundreds of reporters, photographers, TV crews, venture capitalists, CEOs and maybe even a few celebrities from Hollywood and the music world.

What’s Jobs going to talk about? To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, there are known knowns and known unknowns. That is to say, there are things we think we know he’s going to say, and things we know we don’t know. Here’s a rundown:

3G iPhone
Except for a few short sellers on Wall Street, everybody who follows Apple assumes that Jobs will introduce a new iPhone that can send and receive data at so-called third-generation speeds. (In fact, so widespread is this belief that if Jobs doesn’t show up with the thing on Monday, Apple’s (AAPL) shares will get hammered before he leaves the stage.) Almost everything else about iPhone 2.0 are matters of little hard information and intense speculation. Is it thicker or thinner than version 1.0? Will it have a built-in GPS chip so it always knows where it’s at? Will its price be subsidized by AT&T and the overseas carriers? Will it go on sale next week or sometime later? If these questions weren’t still in play, there would be almost nothing to talk about next week.

The SDK
We know Jobs is going to spend some time discussing the so-called software development kit for the iPhone. We know because that’s one of the two main themes of the conference (symbolized by the bizarre image of two Golden Gate Bridges that decorated the e-mail invitation). The other theme is the Macintosh operating system; presumably the two are merging somewhere in Marin County, judging by the doctored photograph. The SDK will finally give third party developers access to the platform Apple has managed to build, as Jupiter Research’s Michael Gartenberg notes, without them. There’s a flood of new software for the iPhone and iPod touch ready for release soon as Apple gives the word - including programs that will allow IT departments, should they be so inclined, to integrate the iPhone into their enterprises the way Research in Motion’s (RIMM) BlackBerry is today.

.Mac

Even Jobs agrees that Apple’s $99-a-year suite of Internet services (Mail, Backup, iSync, iDisk, etc.) needs an overhaul, if only to match the online applications that Google (GOOG), Yahoo (YHOO) and Microsoft (MSFT) now offer for free. By tracking crumbs of information scattered in recent Apple software releases, some observers believe Jobs is set to replace .Mac with something called Mobile Me, or just plain .Me. Probably the single most effective thing Apple could do improve .Mac would be to emulate Google and give it away.

Another iPhone. Speculation that Jobs would introduce a so-called iPhone nano - a smaller iPhone at a more affordable price - has faded; the smart money has pushed this back to next January. However, as American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu points out, there are good reasons to suspect that Apple will keep the first generation iPhone around, if only to have something to sell in those parts of Latin America - and parts of North America, for that matter - where where 3G coverage is spotty or nonexistent.

New MacBooks

Two weeks ago, Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster put the odds of Apple introducing redesigned Mac portables next week at 60%. The other odds he gave - 80% by the end of summer - now seem more like it.

New Touchscreen device

Wu in report to clients this week said he’s learned that work on larger, 4-inch and 7-inch multitouch devices has “gone beyond the prototype stage” at Apple. He goes out on a limb and gives 50-50 odds that one will be introduced at WWDC next week.

Those are the key themes, but there’s plenty more to speculate about. If you want to dig deeper - in a suitably interactive way - come to WWDC with a copy of the 2008 edition of John Siracusa’s Keynote Bingo card, pasted below the fold. The rules are laid out in detail at Ars Technica here, but they’re pretty straightforward: put a token over a square if Jobs mentions the topic or says the word or introduces the speaker during the keynote. Cover five squares in an a row, and you get to stand up and shout Bingo!

Nobody’s won the game yet. This could be the year.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/06/06/whats-steve-jobs-got-up-his-sleeve/

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
More speculation.

USA Today said:
...So get ready for iPhone 2.0: On Monday Apple (AAPL) is widely expected to introduce a zippier version that will operate on both a faster AT&T network, and speedier networks internationally. The price also will rock: $199, according to people with knowledge of the matter, down from the current $399 and $499. Sources declined to be cited by name or affiliation because Apple and AT&T haven't authorized anybody to speak publicly about pricing until after Monday's announcement. The $199 price is being subsidized, though USA TODAY could not confirm details...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2008-06-08-apple-iphone_N.htm

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
Man fuck apple

:D

just kidding keep us updated.. i'm doing fine without a cellphone at the moment, i have my work blackberry that i use, but i hope to get a new cellphone (iPhone) no later than end of summer.

also interested in the move away from carbon.. R.I.P. PPC :(

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
On your knees for Jobs ....

steve_jobs.gif

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
NY Times said:
Apple Watchers Look for a New iPhone
By JOHN MARKOFF
Published: June 10, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, is widely expected to announce a new version of the company’s popular iPhone at a conference here on Monday, but ardent Apple watchers think Mr. Jobs will also use the occasion to make other major announcements.

Apple entered the smartphone market last June and has made the iPhone second only to Research in Motion’s BlackBerry phones in the category. Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., had shipped about 5.5 million phones by the end of March, the most recent figures it has released. The iPhone has settled down to a less-than-spectacular sales pace: roughly 600,000 units a month, according to the company.

Analysts reported shortages in May as the company appeared to work down inventories for the introduction of a new phone.

Although AT&T stores still have phones in stock, according to a company spokesman, the supply has largely dried up in Apple’s retail outlets, and the phones are no longer available through the company’s online store.

Mr. Jobs has stated that his goal is to sell 10 million iPhones in 2008. Apple has been signing a series of deals with cellphone network providers around the world. It recently said it would offer the iPhone in Japan, Spain, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

The only major countries without an iPhone distribution agreement are Russia and China.

Although the company will not publicly confirm the arrival of a second iPhone, Apple watchers have concluded that a new version will be introduced Monday, the opening day of Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference.

Both Mr. Jobs and Randall L. Stephenson, the chief executive of Apple’s partner AT&T, have promised a new iPhone model this year that would run on a high-speed wireless data network. AT&T is building such a network, which uses technology known as 3G and is intended to support a range of new applications, including mobile digital video.

If he is to rekindle the excitement that greeted the iPhone’s introduction, Mr. Jobs is likely to announce something else at the Monday event. So far, he has been successful in hiding any surprise features from the dozens of Web sites and bloggers that track the company’s new products.

There has been speculation about a higher-resolution camera, possible support for digital video recording, colored cases, a slimmer profile and the addition of a global positioning system receiver that would allow new Web services tied to a person’s location. Apple devotees have also speculated that the company may rename its .Mac online service and market it more broadly. The Internet service has offered e-mail, online hosting, backup and photo sharing for $100 a year.

Mr. Jobs is certain to make much of the availability of many new iPhone programs that Apple will begin selling through its iTunes store in the coming months. He could also accelerate sales by cutting the phone’s price or letting operators offer subsidies, as they do with many other phones. In the United States, the phone now costs $399 or $499 depending on the amount of memory.

Everybody is looking towards that iPhone 2.0. :yes:

ljinsane

Star
Registered
Apple sheeple get ready..your god is going to speak in and hour and 15 min.....unless there has been major overhaul with the on screen keyboard and or slide out qwerty keyboard...the device will not be widely adopted by business users and will continue to be the best 'personal' device on the market

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
Apple sheeple get ready..your god is going to speak in and hour and 15 min.....unless there has been major overhaul with the on screen keyboard and or slide out qwerty keyboard...the device will not be widely adopted by business users and will continue to be the best 'personal' device on the market

Don't be a dick. didn't you read the warning at the beginning. Please respect.

By the way knucle head about enterprise acceptance

m1213031461.jpg

m1213031507.jpg

10:10 am Starting with enterprise. Exchange support out of the box -- push email / contacts / calendars, auto-discovery, global address book, remote wipe.

10:11 am The enterprise world has participated in the beta program. 35% of Fortune 500 companies have participated.

10:12 am Higher-education has participated too. Showing a video of enterprise and higher-education use of iPhone 2.0.

10:13 am CTOs of various companies discussing interest and usage in iPhone 2.0 from their employees.
:lol:

Last edited:

J.A.

New Orleans Legend
BGOL Patreon Investor
i will cop and get my employee rate plan for the iphones....so i can toss this blackjack II to tha side

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor

This dude is still upset he can't afford an iPhone?

J.A.

New Orleans Legend
BGOL Patreon Investor
If thats the case he should jump for joy, cause the price is going to be sudsidized like other phones. So we are talking of a price of $199.00 :dance:

is that with a contract or full retail price?

ljinsane

Star
Registered
If thats the case he should jump for joy, cause the price is going to be sudsidized like other phones. So we are talking of a price of $199.00 :dance:

Jump for joy?...naw If I cant connect and administer servers effectively...I dont want the phone..price was never an issue for my self..If I LIKE somethign I spend the doe to get it

Don't be a dick. didn't you read the warning at the beginning. Please respect.

By the way knucle head about enterprise acceptance

Are you serious!?!? :lol:PPC dont Need exchange to get email...if this is your aregument for enterprise acceptance you already lost. If the Iphone cannot handle pop and imap protocols effectivley..no widespread enterprise acceptance will take place PERIOD... The 1st version did not take care of this right but I'm sure the new one will

This dude is still upset he can't afford an iPhone?

:rolleyes: Still using that old and untruthful argument huh?...idiot..I own the Att tilt(since Feb'08) and thats after having the 8525 (purchasedjune '07) and 8125 purchased (march '06) ....needless to say the iphone is not unattainable for myself..I'm just not an uninformed sheep like you....

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
10:31 amNext up -- eBay. Demonstrating Auctions on the iPhone that began development just 5 weeks ago. Incorporates much of the typical eBay functionality.

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
is that with a contract or full retail price?

The price not announced yet, but I'm betting thats with contract.

Also keep in mind. The iPhone 2.0 software they are talking aboutshould run on first generation iPhones as well. They haven't even shown a new iPhone yet.

Last edited:

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
LIVE UPDATE:

10:34 amNext -- Loopt, a location-aware social network. The app displays a map with pins representing where your friends currently are.

so obviously its going to have GPS capabilities.

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
Jump for joy?...naw If I cant connect and administer servers effectively...I dont want the phone..price was never an issue for my self..If I LIKE somethign I spend the doe to get it

Are you serious!?!? :lol:PPC dont Need exchange to get email...if this is your aregument for enterprise acceptance you already lost. If the Iphone cannot handle pop and imap protocols effectivley..no widespread enterprise acceptance will take place PERIOD... The 1st version did not take care of this right but I'm sure the new one will

:rolleyes: Still using that old and untruthful argument huh?...idiot..I own the Att tilt(since Feb'08) and thats after having the 8525 (purchasedjune '07) and 8125 purchased (march '06) ....needless to say the iphone is not unattainable for myself..I'm just not an uninformed sheep like you....

THE POINT IS IT IS GETTING REAL CORPORATE SUPPORT.

But I guess you gonna get all nerdy with that shit. If CTOs of big corps are checking out the iPhone I would think its time to take the iPhone seriously as a solution...wait a minute. You ain't a CTO are you? So just sit back and wait for your boss to tell you what they'll adopt.

Gozita

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I hope they let the first generation users have a free upgrade to iPhone 2.0...

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
I hope they let the first generation users have a free upgrade to iPhone 2.0...

iPhone 2.0 is "software/firmware" updates so it will be available to all iPhones. The new hardware will have larger storage, 3G data speeds, a better camera, gps etc.

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
DAM!!! you been almost an hour and they still talking about the iPhone OS 2.0. Lots of good shit in it. I've never seen a Phone get so many things in an upgrade. iPhone First Gen users should be happy. The value added is amazing.

They got up to games now. Shit is gonna trounce the N-gage.

m1213033411.jpg

m1213033498.jpg

m1213033542.jpg

AND THATS STILL A FIRST GEN iPHONE.

Gozita

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
iPhone 2.0 is "software/firmware" updates so it will be available to all iPhones. The new hardware will have larger storage, 3G data speeds, a better camera, gps etc.

I know but Jobs might do a suspect move and charge for it... I seen what they did with the iTouch last update... $20...

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
Another snippet of the Keynote speech.

10:48 am Band includes a virtual piano, drums, 12-bar blues "instrument", and a bass. All of the instruments sound very impressive and what you play can be recorded.

m1213033846.jpg

m1213033846.jpg

10:50 am Next -- MLB.com. The app shows today's games with live, detailed scoring. It also includes real-time video highlights, which are delivered right after the play -- not the game. It will be included in the launch of the App Store. Next -- Modality.

m1213034143.jpg

10:54 am Showing 2 medical-based applications. First, The first is a learning application for remembering the names of parts of the body. They will have dozens of apps available within weeks of the App Store launch. The second medical app is from MIMvista.

Last edited:

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
I know but Jobs might do a suspect move and charge for it... I seen what they did with the iTouch last update... $20...

have you been charges for any iPhones updates? Its already been announced that its a free update.

Gozita

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
have you been charges for any iPhones updates? Its already been announced that its a free update.

Oh ok I didn't know they already announced it as a free update.. :dance::dance: .. Heck its thats the case there's no need for me to upgrade right away then..

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
There is no employee rate plan (afaik). You gotta pay what everyone else does. That's one of the other big gripes about it. :(

APPLE IS NOT THE CARRIER!!!!! Complain to AT&T about that. Now AT&T may suprise us and come up with an Employee rate.

The iPhone is a personal device anyway. People do not want to walk around with multiple cel phones so Apple may be able to join both the personal with the Corporate. And C'mon, anybody here think they gonna use the iPhone STRICTLY FOR BUSINESS? FUCK OUTTA HERE. I know a few CEO's that use the iPhone for personal shit and would love to combine the corporate shit in it too.

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
Steve is discussing new features in the iPhone 2.0 software. First, contact search with live searching. Second, full iWork document support. Third, complete support for Office documents (Word, Excel, and now PowerPoint). Fourth, bulk delete & move for messages. Fifth, the ability to save images you get. Sixth, a new calculator with scientific mode when you rotate the iPhone. Seventh, parental controls. Eight, tremendous language support.

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
Well Doctors are gonna jump on the iPhone for sure now. :lol:

m1213034144.jpg

m1213034220.jpg

10:58 am The MIMvista application is for viewing medical imagery. Takes advantage of the touch screen to change the information shown, zoom in and out, and scroll around. The images can be rendered in 3D live too. The app will be available at the launch of the App Store. The last demo comes from Digital Legends.

MadSkillz

Star
Registered

Here's the official line on the update.

m1213035013.jpg

11:08 am iPhone 2.0 will be available in early for July. Free for iPhone owners, $9.99 for iPod Touch owners.:dance:

MadSkillz

Star
Registered
m1213034702.jpg

11:09 am Talking about the App Store. A way for developers to reach every single iPhone user. Wireless download support, automatic updates, developer sets the price and keep 70% of revenue, FairPlay wrapped, no charge to anyone for free apps.

11:10 am Available in 62 countries. If the app is less than 10MB, it can be downloaded through the cell network. Otherwise, it requires WiFi or iTunes.

11:11 am Enterprises can distribute apps just to their employees. They authorize iPhones within their enterprise and then create applications that just run on those phones. The apps can be distributed just through their intranet.

CORPORATE HATERS CAN EAT A DICK!!! :lol: