Nick Cannon Dropped by ViacomCBS After Making Anti-Semitic Comments

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Where Is the Outrage Over Anti-Semitism in Sports and Hollywood?
4:00 PM PDT 7/14/2020 by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

The Hollywood Reporter columnist calls out the hateful outbursts against Jews by Ice Cube, DeSean Jackson and others and explains how the muted response "perpetuates racism" and contributes to an overall "Apatholypse."

Recent incidents of anti-Semitic tweets and posts from sports and entertainment celebrities are a very troubling omen for the future of the Black Lives Matter movement, but so too is the shocking lack of massive indignation. Given the New Woke-fulness in Hollywood and the sports world, we expected more passionate public outrage. What we got was a shrug of meh-rage.

When reading the dark squishy entrails of popular culture, meh-rage in the face of sustained prejudice is an indisputable sign of the coming Apatholypse: apathy to all forms of social justice. After all, if it’s OK to discriminate against one group of people by hauling out cultural stereotypes without much pushback, it must be OK to do the same to others. Illogic begets illogic.

Ice Cube’s June 10 daylong series of tweets, which involved some creepy symbols and images, in general implied that Jews were responsible for the oppression of blacks. NFL player DeSean Jackson tweeted out several anti-Semitic messages, including a quote he incorrectly thought was from Hitler (not your go-to guy for why-can’t-we-all-get-along quotes) stating that Jews had a plan to “extort America” and achieve “world domination.” Isn’t that SPECTRE’s job in James Bond movies?

These statements would be laughed at by anyone with a middle-school grasp of reason, but then former NBA player Stephen Jackson, a self-proclaimed activist, undid whatever progress his previous advocacy may have achieved by agreeing with DeSean Jackson on social media. Then he went on to talk about the Rothschilds owning all the banks and his support for the notorious homophobe and anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. That is the kind of dehumanizing characterization of a people that causes the police abuses that killed his friend, George Floyd.

June continued to bust out all over with anti-Semitism when performer Chelsea Handler, herself Jewish, posted videos of Farrakhan to her 3.9 million followers. That means almost 4 million people received a subliminal message that even some Jews think being anti-Jewish is justified.
That same month, President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign also has been criticized for exploiting anti-Jewish biases, even though Trump’s son-in-law and campaign honcho Jared Kushner is Jewish and his daughter Ivanka converted to Judaism before they married. Playing on the same Rothschild’s trope, they issued a letter accusing three billionaires of Jewish descent of using their fortunes to “rig the November election.” This is the kind of “very fine people on both sides” Trump has employed throughout his political career — pandering to hate groups that has emboldened racists who feel like they’ve gotten the presidential OK to attack people they don’t like.

These famous, outspoken people share the same scapegoat logic as all oppressive groups from Nazis to the KKK: all our troubles are because of bad-apple groups that worship wrong, have the wrong complexion, come from the wrong country, are the wrong gender or love the wrong gender. It’s so disheartening to see people from groups that have been violently marginalized do the same thing to others without realizing that perpetuating this kind of bad logic is what perpetuates racism.

Yes, some of the above have apologized — DeSean Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Chelsea Handler — while others continue to defiantly marinate in their own prejudice. Their arrogant and irrational response to accusations of anti-Semitism, rather than dissuade us, actually confirmed people’s worst opinions. Ice Cube’s response was remorseless: “What if I was just pro-Black? This is the truth brother. I didn’t lie on anyone. I didn’t say I was anti anybody. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE. I’ve been telling my truth.” His “truth” was clearly anti-Semitic but, like Trump, he believes his truth exists outside facts. As writer Roxane Gay summed it up: “It is impossible to take you seriously with regards to social justice or anything when you post anti-Semitic imagery. What the fuck are you doing?”

Even the apologies floundered, more attempts at spin than true contrition. In a CNN interview, Stephen Jackson was angry and belligerent at being called out: “I stated I could have changed my words. There’s nothing that I said that I support any of that. There’s nothing I said that I hate anybody. I apologize for my words and I could have switched up. That’s the end of it. I love everybody.” While it’s possible the words were wrong, celebrities have a responsibility to get the words right. It’s not enough to have good intentions, because it’s the actual deeds — and words — which have the real impact. In this case destructive impact. In 2013, there were 751 reported hate crimes against Jews, but by 2019 the number had nearly tripled to 2,107. That same year, a gunman in San Diego entered a synagogue and murdered one person while wounding three.

One of the most powerful songs in the struggle against racism is Billie Holiday’s melancholic “Strange Fruit,” which was first recorded in 1939. The song met strong resistance from radio stations afraid of its graphic lyrics about lynching:

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Despite those who wanted to suppress the song, it went on to sell a million copies that year and became Holiday’s best-selling record ever. The song was written by a white, Jewish high school teacher, Abel Meeropol, who performed it with his wife around New York before it was given to Holiday.

The lesson never changes, so why is it so hard for some people to learn: No one is free until everyone is free. As Martin Luther King Jr. explained: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality.” So, let’s act like it. If we’re going to be outraged by injustice, let’s be outraged by injustice against anyone.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chelsea Handler apologizes for posting Louis Farrakhan clip: ‘I was wrong’
By Joshua Rhett Miller
June 24, 2020 | 9:11am | Updated

Chelsea Handler is apologizing for posting a video of Louis Farrakhan on Instagram, saying she wasn’t “thinking” about the Nation of Islam leader’s long history of anti-Semitic and homophobic comments.

Handler, 45, shared an undated clip of Farrakhan from “The Phil Donohue Show” with her 3.9 million Instagram followers on June 14, claiming she “learned a lot” from watching Farrakhan debate audience members on whether racial prejudice would ever be eradicated.

The post, which has since been deleted, was reportedly shared or liked by several other celebrities, including Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Aniston and Michelle Pfieffer, but renounced by many who were puzzled why Handler, who is Jewish, would share the viewpoints of Farrakhan — whose Nation of Islam is characterized as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

“I want to sincerely apologize for posting the video of Louis Farrakhan,” Handler wrote the Daily Beast in an email Tuesday after Monday’s “The Last Laugh” podcast. “I didn’t consider the context of his anti-Semitic and homophobic rhetoric, that is of course contrary to my own beliefs and values. Part of the process of educating ourselves during this pivotal time is recognizing and working through our mistakes.”

Handler continued: “This was definitely one of mine. I was wrong. It was offensive, and I apologize.”

On Monday’s podcast, “Chelsea Handler Faces Her White Privilege,” the comedian and author defended Farrakhan, saying she thought “his message was really powerful” while stopping short of removing the clip.

“I wasn’t thinking about the anti-Semitic thing, but I don’t want to take down the post because I felt the message was powerful and a lot of people did,” Handler said.

Enlarge ImageLouis FarrakhanKamil Krzaczynski/AFP via Getty Images
The clip simply resonated with Handler, she said.

“It was powerful for me the way he spelled it out,” Handler continued. “That black people don’t have a history of killing white power. White people have a history of killing black people, for hundreds of years. Over and over again, we kill black people in this country. So everyone needs to remember where the violence came from.”

Handler also flatly told her critics what she thought of the blowback prior to taking down the clip.

“It’s not from the black people, it’s from the white people,” Handler said. “So I thought it was powerful. So whatever, you know, everybody can go f–k themselves.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chelsea Handler, other celebs praise clip of Louis Farrakhan on Instagram
By Aaron Feis
June 16, 2020 | 2:31pm

Celebrities including Chelsea Handler and Jessica Chastain shared a video clip with their millions of social-media followers showing a speech by Louis Farrakhan, the fiery Nation of Islam leader who has a history of anti-Semitic, racist and homophobic rhetoric.

“I learned a lot from watching this powerful video,” wrote Handler in blasting out the clip to her nearly four million Instagram followers on Sunday.
In the undated clip from The Phil Donahue Show, Farrakhan verbally jousts with members of the program’s studio audience on questions of whether racial prejudice could ever truly be overcome.

The post — shared amid international unrest sparked by a white Minneapolis cop’s fatally kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, a black man, on May 25 — reportedly racked up likes from celebrities including Jennifer Aniston, Michelle Pfeiffer and Jennifer Garner.

Chastain shared the post with her 3.2 million followers from Handler’s page, Mediaite reported Tuesday, only for the actress to apparently delete the video without explanation.

Fellow actress Jameela Jamil also reportedly shared the video, along with a message that betrayed ignorance of Farrakhan’s notoriety.
“Someone please tell me the name of this extraordinary man who so perfectly sums up white fear in under a minute,” Jamil reportedly wrote in her own comment, which too has been deleted.

In his decades atop the Nation of Islam — which is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center — Farrakhan, now 87, has unabashedly spewed vitriol against white people, the LGBT community and, in particular, Jews.

“Farrakhan is an anti-Semite who routinely accuses Jews of manipulating the US government and controlling the levers of world power,” wrote the SPLC in a profile of the firebrand.

Enlarge ImageLouis Farrakhan in 1990Multimedia Entertainment
Even as Handler’s post garnered over 93,000 posts as of Tuesday afternoon, it also drew significant criticism.

“So, based on this logic, if you find a video of Hitler saying something positive and powerful, will you feel equally compelled to share it?” replied Instagram user cindyjh5. “You gave hate credibility and a large platform today.”

Added user socalmama94, “Farrakhan is a hateful anti Semite. He wears that label proudly. There are many others whose wisdom you could be sharing.

“This is disappointing Chelsea.”

Even after as the criticism poured in, however, Handler, 45, argued that Farrakhan’s hatred may have been justified by his own experiences on the receiving end of bigotry.

“Another thing: perhaps Farrakhan’s anti-Semitic views took form during his own oppression,” wrote Handler. “We know now that oppression of one race leads to an oppression of all races.”

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
To be fair how he gonna do what he does without the powers that be?

I posted how all these companies are incestuous and own everything even entities that appear to be competitors

And he been with them since he was a teenager.

And nick was not just talent he was writing creating and executive producer

I can't hate on that
2 most important things in bizz is the consumer and product... If I sold the best sweet potatoe pie ever but it was out on a vendor stand and not in a commercialized store you would still buy it.. So all you have to do is find an alternative outlet to display your product so that your consumers can get it without using commercial resources... Ryan Leslie actually created the perfect outlet to make somebody like nick to generate lots of money pushing his product... Nick need to holla at ryan... Basically it's pushing your product through text message and also being able to have direct contact with each individual consumer..it a great outlet for entrepreneurs and even bigger individuals like nick canon... When I have time I'll post it later on in the am that better explains his format

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
2 most important things in bizz is the consumer and product... If I sold the best sweet potatoe pie ever but it was out on a vendor stand and not in a commercialized store you would still buy it.. So all you have to do is find an alternative outlet to display your product so that your consumers can get it without using commercial resources... Ryan Leslie actually created the perfect outlet to make somebody like nick to generate lots of money pushing his product... Nick need to holla at ryan... Basically it's pushing your product through text message and also being able to have direct contact with each individual consumer..it a great outlet for entrepreneurs and even bigger individuals like nick canon... When I have time I'll post it later on in the am that better explains his format

you still undefeated bro.

K1llu

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm sorry but the whole idea that black people are Hebrew Israelites, Native Americans or moors or any of that bullshit is another form of self-hatred and ignorance.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ha! To my point earlier, the biggest disappointment of this fiasco is that Nick Cannon did not own his own show he built from the ground up.

but that is the typical globalist mindset which is why they are part of the profane. They are afraid to lead because they think the so-called white man is best and it makes no sense as the so-called black man was created by God to rule this planet.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Exactly, my mom is Jewish and when she feels offended by negative talk about Jews that's her opinion. Nick shouldn't have spoke about the Jews he should have kept that to himself especially since he worked for them.
what is jewish?? Anyone can be Jewish because its not an ethnic group; its a religion; so you are saying your mom subscribes to the Jew religion??

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm sorry but the whole idea that black people are Hebrew Israelites, Native Americans or moors or any of that bullshit is another form of self-hatred and ignorance.
Question, if we were here(as in America) before they(whites) came; or better yet, if all of us wasnt imported from Africa, but were already here; and they made us slaves; what term should be applied to us?? Native Americans sounds about right but maybe you have another term....

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Ha! To my point earlier, the biggest disappointment of this fiasco is that Nick Cannon did not own his own show he built from the ground up.

but that is the typical globalist mindset which is why they are part of the profane. They are afraid to lead because they think the so-called white man is best and it makes no sense as the so-called black man was created by God to rule this planet.

:confused: AND?

What should be the biggest disappointment?

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

This lady has NO IDEA. Not her fault though. They have hid their hands real well. She obviously does not know who REALLY set up CBS, NBC, ABC in United States and Canwest Global in Canada.

They wanted something to drown out the cries for racial injustice and they found it. Some black folk helping them too. SMFH

Agree as now they have their new distraction for the media to shift over the paradigm that was rolling all over the globe under the George Floyd protests.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

See now, Nicholas...

Wtf?

I thought you apologized ALREADY?

What were all those tweets for?

I thought you were spitting straight facts?

And now you threw out Griff government?

Terminator X aint even know Griff real name.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nick Cannon Issues an Apology to ‘His Jewish Sisters and Brothers’ for Anti-Semitic Comments
By Chris Murphy@christress
Photo: Getty Images

On Wednesday, July 15, Nick Cannon took to Twitter to issue an apology for anti-Semitic comments and conspiracy theories he shared on his podcast, Cannon’s Class, which resulted in his firing from ViacomCBS. “First and foremost,” Cannon said in a statement released on Twitter, “I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin.” In the thread, Cannon says that he has removed the episode featuring the interview Griffin and that his comments “reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people” and that he feels “ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from.”

Cannon initially criticized ViacomCBS for firing him, demanding complete ownership of his long running hip-hop improv show, Wild N’ Out, on social media. “I demand full ownership of my billion dollar ‘Wild ‘N Out’ brand that I created,” Cannon wrote in a Facebook post, “and they will continue to misuse and destroy without my leadership! I demand that the hate and back door bullying cease and while we are at it, now that the truth is out, I demand the Apology!”

However, he made made no mention of ViacomCBS or Wild N’ Out in his most recent apology. “I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this is only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nick Cannon Apologizes for Anti-Semitic Comments: "I Feel Ashamed"

Leon Bennett/WireImage
Nick Cannon

The 'Masked Singer' host posted a message to Twitter on Wednesday, and Fox says he'll remain part of the hit series.
Nick Cannon posted an apology message via Twitter on Wednesday after he received criticism for anti-Semitic language used in a recent podcast episode. He was dropped by ViacomCBS earlier this week after the podcast surfaced and received wide visibility.

"First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin," Cannon wrote. "They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed."

Cannon will also remain as host of Fox's hit The Masked Singer, the network said Wednesday night.

"When we were made aware of Nick Cannon’s interview with Richard Griffin on YouTube, we immediately began a dialogue with Nick," Fox said in a statement. "He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong and lacked both understanding and context, and inadvertently promoted hate. This was important for us to observe. Nick has sincerely apologized, and quickly taken steps to educate himself and make amends. On that basis and given a belief that this moment calls for dialogue, we will move forward with Nick and help him advance this important conversation, broadly. Fox condemns all forms of hate directed toward any community and we will combat bigotry of any kind."

The controversy arose from an episode of the Cannon's Class podcast, which posted June 23 on podcast platforms and to YouTube on June 30. Cannon spoke with Richard Griffin, aka Professor Griff, a former member of rap group Public Enemy. Cannon called Black people "the true Hebrews" and discussed anti-Semitic conspiracy theories with Griffin, who was pushed out of Public Enemy in the late 1980s after making homophobic and anti-Semitic comments in media interviews.

"It’s never hate speech. You can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people, when we are the same people who they want to be," said Cannon. "That’s our birthright. We are the true Hebrews."

As the podcast surfaced and received comments on social media, Cannon was dropped by ViacomCBS. The media giant said in a statement that they condemn "bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism."

Cannon later wrote in a lengthy Facebook post, "I must apologize to my Jewish Brothers and Sisters for putting them in such a painful position, which was never my intention, but I know this whole situation has hurt many people and together we will make it right. I have dedicated my daily efforts to continuing conversations to bring the Jewish community and the African American community closer together, embracing our differences and sharing our commonalities."

Cannon also wrote he had reached out to ViacomCBS chair Shari Redstone, although a company spokesperson said that was "absolutely untrue."

Cannon has also demanded full ownership of his long-running Wild 'n Out brand from ViacomCBS, which debuted on MTV in 2005 and scored a three-season, 90-episode renewal in 2019.

Cannon's full apology is below.

First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin. They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed.

While the Jewish experience encompasses more than 5,000 years and there is so much I have yet to learn, I have had at least a minor history lesson over the past few days and to say that it is eye-opening would be a vast understatement. I want to express my gratitude to the Rabbis, community leaders and institutions who reached out to me to help enlighten me, instead of chastising me. I want to assure my Jewish friends, new and old, that this is only the beginning of my education—I am committed to deeper connections, more profound learning and strengthening the bond between our two cultures today and every day going forward.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can talk all that "speaking truth to power all you want" all that ANYONE deals with is leverage and real power...the power to make shit happen.

Cannon doesn't have that. And when you don't have that you have to pick and choose your battles...like talking about who is and who isn't a hebrew.... that was battle he didn't have to pick. :smh: :smh: :smh:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can talk all that "speaking truth to power all you want" all that ANYONE deals with is leverage and real power...the power to make shit happen.

Cannon doesn't have that. And when you don't have that you have to pick and choose your battles...like talking about who is and who isn't a hebrew.... that was battle he didn't have to pick. :smh: :smh: :smh:

There is always a bigger picture..

I mean wilin out..

You can tell Nick out grew that shit...

And wanted to do something more productive with his life..

He still fucking Mariah

And he wasn't stupid with his money..

He can make a move like this at this point

Plus if he decides to go hard with his podcast...

Black radio stations trying to get a younger audience

Would be stupid as fuck not to broadcast his show...

Hellllooooo

Radio one....wake up!!!

Sheeeeet I'm about to tune into his podcast...

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered

I mean wilin out..

He still fucking Mariah

Hellllooooo

Radio one....wake up!!!

lol bruh mariah is engaged

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I mean wilin out..

He still fucking Mariah

Hellllooooo

Radio one....wake up!!!

dude what are you talking about?? He already apologized. Also I read an article where he said he DEMANDED full ownership of his show. WTF he didn't have full ownership of the show already??

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dude what are you talking about?? He already apologized. Also I read an article where he said he DEMANDED full ownership of his show. WTF he didn't have full ownership of the show already??

Did he apologize??

I ain't following none of these stories like that

I get updated up here...

Last I heard he didn't apologize and that's why they cut off his show..

So what's the deal with wilin out...

Thats one show that needed to end a few seasons ago

Although I'm happy Nick has/had a cash cow...

So is that crappy was show still on the air??

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Did he apologize??

I ain't following none of these stories like that

I get updated up here...

Last I heard he didn't apologize and that's why they cut off his show..

So what's the deal with wilin out...

Thats one show that needed to end a few seasons ago

Although I'm happy Nick has/had a cash cow...

So is that crappy was show still on the air??
all I'm saying is is the topic of who is and who isn't (to borrow a phrase from terry crews) really the hill nick cannon or any black person needs to die on???