New NBA Books: Scottie Pippen memoir throws some big Michael Jordan shade "I WAS THE REAL LEADER" & the Last Dance was disrespect UPDATE: Oh SH*T!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@ViCiouS @ansatsusha_gouki @fonzerrillii @woodchuck @largebillsonlyplease @ViCiouS @4 Dimensional @jack walsh13 @REDLINE @EPDC

we might need to start a damn book club for THIS one

tenor.gif

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Scottie Pippen’s memoir seems to throw some big Michael Jordan shade
By Jenna Lemoncelli
June 9, 2021 | 3:17pm | Updated

scottie-pippen-memoir-book-michael-jordan.jpg

Scottie Pippen is telling his side of the Bulls dynasty story.
The Hall of Famer will expose “stories I’ve kept to myself for years” in his tell-all memoir “UNGUARDED” — out this November — including his rings run with the ’90s Bulls alongside Michael Jordan, which resulted in six championships.
In the description of the book, Pippen appears to take a few jabs at Jordan and his leadership skills, among other things.
“Simply put, without Pippen, there are no championship banners — let alone six — hanging from the United Center rafters. There’s no ‘The Last Dance’ documentary,” the description reads in reference to Jordan’s ESPN docu-series about the ’90s Bulls championship seasons.
“There’s no ‘Michael Jordan’ as we know him. The 1990s Chicago Bulls teams would not exist as we know them.”
Pippen has publicly expressed his disdain for how the story was told in the “The Last Dance” six-part series, which was co-produced by Jordan’s Jump 23 company.
Scottie Pippen didn’t agree with how Michael Jordan portrayed the Bulls’ success in ‘The Last Dance.’Getty Images
“Pippen details how he cringed at being labeled Jordan’s sidekick, and discusses how he could have (and should have) received more respect from the Bulls’ management and the media,” the “UNGUARDED” description reads.
“He discusses what it was like dealing with Jordan on a day-to-day basis, while serving as the real leader within the Bulls locker room.”

Pippen and Jordan were teammates in Chicago from 1987 to 1993 and again from 1995 to 1998. Jordan presented Pippen when he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010, and the two reunited publicly in 2017, for an event at Jordan’s Flight School camp in California.
Though, Pippen’s feelings toward his old teammate seemed to turn sour after the release of the “The Last Dance” in April 2020, which painted Pippen as Jordan’s blatant number two.
SEE ALSO
Scottie Pippen ‘livid’ at Michael Jordan for ‘Last Dance’ portrayal
Late last year, Pippen revealed he wasn’t a fan of how the documentary turned out.
“I don’t think it was that accurate in terms of really defining what was accomplished in one of the greatest eras of basketball, but also by two of the greatest players – and one could even put that aside and say the greatest team of all time,” Pippen told The Guardian in December 2020.
“I didn’t think those things stood out in the documentary. I thought it was more about Michael trying to uplift himself and to be glorified. I think it also backfired to some degree in that people got a chance to see what kind of personality Michael had,” he explained.
Pippen, in the same interview, said he confronted Jordan over his feelings about the documentary.
“I told him I wasn’t too pleased with it. He accepted it. He said, ‘Hey, you’re right.’ That was pretty much it,” Pippen recalled.
What do you think? Be the first to comment.
Other topics Pippen covers in the book include growing up in Arkansas, his college days at UCA, getting drafted in 1987, transparent takes on his former coach Phil Jackson, rival Isiah Thomas, among others, as well as other behind-the-scenes moments from the locker room.
Scottie Pippen’s “UNGUARDED” memoir will release on November 16, and is available for pre-order now.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Scottie Pippen “Cringed” At Being Michael Jordan’s “Sidekick”
CHICAGO, IL - APRIL 01: Scottie Pippen meets fans at American Express "Paints The Town Platinum" At The Chicago Bulls Game At The United Center In Chicago on April 1, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images for American Express)
NBA fans couldn’t get enough of ESPN’s The Last Dance series in 2020. Scottie Pippen, however, wasn’t exactly fond of it.

Since he’s releasing a book titled “Unguarded” later this year, Pippen discussed a plethora of topics in an exclusive interview with The Guardian. During the interview, he admit that he doesn’t think The Last Dance accurately portrayed the Chicago Bulls in the 90s.
“I don’t think it was that accurate in terms of really defining what was accomplished in one of the greatest eras of basketball, but also by two of the greatest players – and one could even put that aside and say the greatest team of all time,” Pippen said, via The Guardian. “I didn’t think those things stood out in the documentary. I thought it was more about Michael trying to uplift himself and to be glorified. I think it also backfired to some degree in that people got a chance to see what kind of personality Michael had.”
What’s even more fascinating is that the official summary for Pippen’s book, “Unguarded,” actually took a shot at Jordan’s documentary.

In that summary, it says that Pippen “cringed” at the thought of being Michael Jordan’s sidekick.
“Pippen details how he cringed at being labeled Jordan’s sidekick, and discusses how he could have (and should have) received more respect from the Bulls’ management and the media,” the summary says, via Simon & Schuster.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Da Pip may have been the leader in the locker room but on the court MJ ran the show often not to the liking of those players he kinda publicly humiliated. I'm surprised none them like Bill Cartwright didn't call him out in his bullshit. :hmm:

storm_shadoh

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In some ways I agree Pip is one of the most underrated players of all time. He'll always be looked at as a #2 or great complimentary player. He had three chances to fix that and couldn't. That bulls team shouldn't have lost to the Knicks that year MJ retired. He should of willed them to that win. Secondly losing with that Portland team to Kobe and Shaq showed even with a talented squad he came close but couldn't grab the prize. Thirdly even with Two hall of famers on the Rockets he couldn't do it. But hes right to some extent management treated him like crap and they didn't realize how important he was to that bulls run. They don't make it without him.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
There is probably some truth to this. Jordan didn't sound like the easiest to play with so Scottie was probably the one bringing the ice after Jordan slapped them. He didn't say he was the team's leader. He said he was the leader of the locker room.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I hope he mentions they won 55 games without the "GOAT" and were a bad call away from a conference finals appearance.

Pippen wasn't in that super elite class, but he was good enough offensively and I'll say he was the best perimeter defender for a long time and he's probably top 5 all-time perimeter defender. All people need to do is watch the Bulls' first Finals. Series changed when they put him on Magic.. but he also gave Worthy fits.. had Worthy airballing and shit.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How many did Scottie? How many finals MVP's? Regular season MVP's?
Same amount that MJ won without Scottie. Thanks for making my point.
Kobe never won a ring without Derrick fisher, Hakeem never won a ring without Sam cassel

That sounds dumb ass hell dosent it
Very. Im glad you realize it. You should now delete that stupid shit.