New mid engine C8 Corvette (Mane,Listen!)

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Think this is what was supposed to be the Zora
Zora was just the nickname of the project while in development. I’m pretty sure they will have some type of trim package named Zora. Maybe even the top model in the line-up will be call that. I think GM at this point needs to launch Corvette as its own brand though. Follow the Porsche model and make a high performance SUV that can kill the Urus’s and Cayenne Coupes. The sales from the suv pays the lower volumes high performance models. They can keep the FR layout for the faithful and call it the touring or something. The problem with Chevrolet is that brand just doesn’t carry well above $100k. Now is the time to do it. Wishful thinking on my part though, doubt there’s anybody at GM that can cut through all the internal bureaucracy to make that happen.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Zora was just the nickname of the project while in development. I’m pretty sure they will have some type of trim package named Zora. Maybe even the top model in the line-up will be call that. I think GM at this point needs to launch Corvette as its own brand though. Follow the Porsche model and make a high performance SUV that can kill the Urus’s and Cayenne Coupes. The sales from the suv pays the lower volumes high performance models. They can keep the FR layout for the faithful and call it the touring or something. The problem with Chevrolet is that brand just doesn’t carry well above $100k. Now is the time to do it. Wishful thinking on my part though, doubt there’s anybody at GM that can cut through all the internal bureaucracy to make that happen.

That's just not their business model. The Vette will always sell well and for the price, it is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Chevy doesn't have dealerships set up for $200K car buyers. Meaning, you can't have Cobalt owners that spend 25K for a car and someone that spends 200K for a car going to the same dealership for sales and service. The 200K people expect a certain level of service and atmosphere and personal attention that Lambo/Ferrari 'nem can provide.

Chevy would struggle the same way KIA and Hyundai struggle with going upscale. Who's going to buy a 200K Chevy when they can buy a Lambo for that same amount that they have been dreaming about their entire lives?!

Any high end SUV they make will compete with the Jeep SRT and Durango SRT.

Last edited:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's just not their business model. The Vette will always sell well and for the price, it is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Chevy doesn't have dealerships set up for $200K car buyers. Meaning, you can't have Cobalt owners that spend 25K for a car and someone that spends 200K for a car going to the same dealership for sales and service. The 200K people expect a certain level of service and atmosphere and personal attention that Lambo/Ferrari 'nem can provide.

Chevy would struggle the same way KIA and Hyundai struggle with going upscale. Who's going to buy a 200K Chevy when they can buy a Lambo for that same amount that they have been dreaming about their entire lives?!

Any high end SUV they make will compete with the Jeep SRT and Durango SRT.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. The Chevy brand can't command those prices. A Corvette brand separate from Chevy could. It's a perfect scenario if you think of it in the Lamborghini/Audi way. The R8 wouldn't exist if the Gallardo/Huracan didn't share a chassis with it. It works because both are premium brands. Corvette/Cadillac sharing this C8 platform is a no brainer. So now you can have Corvette/Cadillac dealerships in one and not have your premium customers walk into a Chevy dealership to buy a six figure car. You can have premium platform sharing between the two brands and not have to take a Chevy Traverse and slap some Cadillac styling on it. They can start premium and finish premium ,but still do parts sharing to save costs. Also the C7 hasn't been selling well for a few years so initially like all sports cars when they debut, sales spike, but then fall off quickly after two or three years. C7 Corvettes have been overcrowding dealer lots for a while now. To the tune of 232 days inventory last time I checked. Some of that is just people holding out for the C8 but it's really how sports cars work for the most part. Not a great sales model, but more of a loss leader type business model. GM needs to stop living in the past. They catch on to things way too late. The Corvette brand should be a no-brainer by now.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And that's exactly what I'm saying. The Chevy brand can't command those prices. A Corvette brand separate from Chevy could. It's a perfect scenario if you think of it in the Lamborghini/Audi way. The R8 wouldn't exist if the Gallardo/Huracan didn't share a chassis with it. It works because both are premium brands. Corvette/Cadillac sharing this C8 platform is a no brainer. So now you can have Corvette/Cadillac dealerships in one and not have your premium customers walk into a Chevy dealership to buy a six figure car. You can have premium platform sharing between the two brands and not have to take a Chevy Traverse and slap some Cadillac styling on it. They can start premium and finish premium ,but still do parts sharing to save costs. Also the C7 hasn't been selling well for a few years so initially like all sports cars when they debut, sales spike, but then fall off quickly after two or three years. C7 Corvettes have been overcrowding dealer lots for a while now. To the tune of 232 days inventory last time I checked. Some of that is just people holding out for the C8 but it's really how sports cars work for the most part. Not a great sales model, but more of a loss leader type business model. GM needs to stop living in the past. They catch on to things way too late. The Corvette brand should be a no-brainer by now.

What you are talking about would be super expensive and is really inconceivable.

The biggest flaw in what you are saying is price. Once you get beyond $150K, you are in S Class, Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo range and that's what people will go for. They will not buy a Chevy, even it's called something else and is all new that costs that much. It will never happen. ESPECIALLY overseas.

Chevy/GM is right where it needs to be to survive in this market.

The Volkswagen Phaeton was heralded as one of the best cars on the market when it came out. People just gravitated to the premium brand they knew which was Mercedes and BMW, so that car failed.

KIA sold 22 K900s in 2018.....22!!!!!!!!!!! It's hard out here in these super high end luxury streets.

Last edited:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What you are talking about would be super expensive and is really inconceivable.

The biggest flaw in what you are saying is price. Once you get beyond $150K, you are in S Class, Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo range and that's what people will go for. They will not buy a Chevy, even it's called something else and is all new that costs that much. It will never happen. ESPECIALLY overseas.

Chevy/GM is right where it needs to be to survive in this market.

The Volkswagen Phaeton was heralded as one of the best cars on the market when it came out. People just gravitated to the premium brand they knew which was Mercedes and BMW, so that car failed.

I disagree. One, if you pay attention there isn't one single Chevy badge on the Corvette save for an unnoticeable badge inside the Corvette's own logo. You can't even find the word Chevrolet on the car. They do that for the very reason, I'm arguing. To distance the car from the Chevy the brand. Pricing does not have to change, this is all perception. A starting price is just that, but if a brand has cache people will buy all the options you can throw at them. Porsche has been doing this for years. A 911 starts a $110K for the base model, but everything is an option. You can make a base 911 cost the same as Turbo model without even trying. When you sell the Corvette as a bargain for the money, that's how people will look at it. I guarantee they are losing money on base C8 models and up the price within two years. You just can't pack that much tech, performance into a car and sell it for cheap while expecting to make a profit. Don't cheapen the brand! That's why the Phateon didn't sell or make sense, no upscale brand perception to command those prices even though it WAS a bargain in comparison the car it shared a platform with, the Bentley Flying Spur.

Hyundai learned it's lesson when it launched the initial Genesis models under the Hyundai brand, they totally failed because again who is going to the Hyundai/Kia to buy a luxury car without a luxury car experience? Now that they have separated Genesis as a brand with separate dealers and upped the quality, the latest G70 sales are starting to come around. Lexus didn't start off well either, but they understood, you have to build the brand first and that takes years. GM doesn't want to sacrifice now for gains in the future, which is why Cadillac is stagnant. They only half do shit because everything has to make financial sense on paper which is where the bean counters come in and fuck things up. Like Heist mentioned earlier, instead of spending the extra money on quality switch gear that they can used across the board for all products, they start with the cheaper stuff and try to doctor it up with some metal accents, but the feeling when you press the button is still cheap feeling. VW understands this because I can felt the same quality in my Audi buttons that did when had my Passat. It's that last little that they need to spend on that they can't justify because it doesn't make sense on paper.

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
Lotta people didn't realize, that this was going to be the C7. GM made the call to switch to mid-engine back when it was time to start redesigning the C6. Then the bankruptcy happened and they had to scale back spending so they essentially kept the same front mid layout of the C6, beefed up the chassis and transplanted the C8 design cues to the the C7.

Well, they have been planning it for 60 years. They called it off several times. But they did come close with the C7. The recession hit and they still spent damn near a billion on the C7 design. I live right down the street from the GM Tech center. Got family that works there. They were testing Ferrari's and Porsche's for years perfecting the plans. To bring out a mid engine super car and keep the price low is amazing.

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think this is going to change the game overall.

1. We are seeing the base model, that is 495hp. The Z06 might be in the 725ish hp range.

2. That weight distribution will make it a track monster.

3. It will push Dodge to bring back the Viper the right way.

We are in a good place for sports cars right now.

BTW, I love my mustang....if shit keeps going right in my life, I might get a gt500 next year.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
First leak of the interior. Bitch look clean....
pd99yyjqyqbkgm3qpy18.jpg
That steering wheel is clean, the floating screen is WACK, that center divider is way to big. My lady gotta be a damn contortionist to bend over to give me some dome in my new whip. I know its dead, but I HATE paddle shifters, give me a damn 6 speed stick. I might cop one, gotta drive it first.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think this is going to change the game overall.

1. We are seeing the base model, that is 495hp. The Z06 might be in the 725ish hp range.

2. That weight distribution will make it a track monster.

3. It will push Dodge to bring back the Viper the right way.

We are in a good place for sports cars right now.

BTW, I love my mustang....if shit keeps going right in my life, I might get a gt500 next year.

A 2019 Ford Mustang GT has 460hp.

A 2019 Camaro SS has 455hp.

They don’t have a choice but to make the new Corvette almost 500hp. :dunno:

But you’re right, all of that horsepower and advances are pushing manufacturers to make better sports cars!

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That steering wheel is clean, the floating screen is WACK, that center divider is way to big. My lady gotta be a damn contortionist to bend over to give me some dome in my new whip. I know its dead, but I HATE paddle shifters, give me a damn 6 speed stick. I might cop one, gotta drive it first.

They were really going for that cockpit feel with that tall ass center divider area. Probably feels cool sitting in that driver's seat with that steering wheel and being encapsulated in the driver's area like that. I just think they should have put a pass through under the A/C controls to open up the cabin a little. Kinda like making the A/C controls float. I still give the interior a 9/10.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Paddle shift is better and easier to build in because you don’t need all the extra weight from a full transmission. It shifts faster, and with rev match, less chance of blowing em out with shitty driving. The safety aspect is both hands need to be on the wheels while driving so it may be leas texting and other shit. I like the change. Manual will he gone on all cars within 5 years.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Paddle shift is better and easier to build in because you don’t need all the extra weight from a full transmission. It shifts faster, and with rev match, less chance of blowing em out with shitty driving. The safety aspect is both hands need to be on the wheels while driving so it may be leas texting and other shit. I like the change. Manual will he gone on all cars within 5 years.

You're right about everything but still, some of us like driving manuals :(

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You're right about everything but still, some of us like driving manuals :(
Mine is a manual. It’s fun. But I’m ready to not fuck with all the stop and starts, clutching in traffic jams, etc. It’s time. And Corvette wants to compete and beat track times and a computer is waaaay faster than a human. Bro, 0-60 in 3 seconds???? My Z06 does that in around 4 seconds with 650 hp. I can run my shit to 60 in 1st. Still, DCT is why these cars are faster and more responsive.

yardy

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Looks cool overall but wished they made the rear lights round to totally separate from the Camaro design. Can't beat that price though. Corvettes always been a bargain compared to it's competition.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
The new design is ass.. expect the previous gen C6 and ZR1 2005-2019 will increase more in value...

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The new design is ass.. expect the previous gen C6 and ZR1 2005-2019 will increase more in value...
Nope. Used cars don’t appreciate. They can stagnate if they are rare or unique, like a ZR1, or very low mules Z06. GM knows people who still want a manual will grab the last new 2019’s and they won’t discount them. A 2020 is 59k while a 2019 is 56k. You’re gonna pay the same.

badman32

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I currently have a 2015 Mustang, getting something new next year (Giving the Mustang to my little sister). The C8 is on my list of possibilities, along with the C7, and the Kia Stinger GT2 or GTS (Pretty quick, looks good, has a good space).
Corvette-Stingray-2020-1.jpg

chevrolet-corvette-z-2.jpg

E10-46-035-01-22_3.jpg

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Chevy dealer manager talking about reserving and ordering your C8 Vette. Good info.

actinanass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A 2019 Ford Mustang GT has 460hp.

A 2019 Camaro SS has 455hp.

They don’t have a choice but to make the new Corvette almost 500hp. :dunno:

But you’re right, all of that horsepower and advances are pushing manufacturers to make better sports cars!

Trust me I know. A couple of bolt on's, and an e85 tune... I have over 500 hp in my mustang.

I'm chilling because I'm trying to get my shit straight for something next year.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Vette will be 100k cheaper than the NSX too. Acura already having trouble selling the NSX because most people with 160k to spend will rather go for other super cars (Audi, Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo). That Vette is gonna sell like hot cakes.

Yes, the Ferrari LaFerrari is a very nice car. A little pricey but worth it if you can get it for between 2-2.5 million.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Vette will be 100k cheaper than the NSX too. Acura already having trouble selling the NSX because most people with 160k to spend will rather go for other super cars (Audi, Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo). That Vette is gonna sell like hot cakes.
Honda really dropped the ball on the NSX. Stuttered started on the resign for over a decade after the old one went out of production. Gave the face of an Acura(not good). Gave it the interior of an Acura for $160K and when it came out it was the best at anything in that segment. People were looking for the everyday supercar that they remember with Honda reliability and gave us complicated hybridized supercar that was just OK against it's peers. The C8 is basically what the NSX should've been. The only real gripe I have is no manual transmission. Otherwise, if the performance and feel meets the expectations they are setting, it's a solid homerun.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is the one I configured. I would consider getting that side blade painted body color. Aftermarket wheels would be a must w/ lowering springs.

wide