Netflix Series: Black Summer: Season 2 Discussion (Netflix's Walking Dead) (drops 6/17/21)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Salute to that Asian actresse Sun.

MV5BMTUxNzUwNDk0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTgyOTczNzE@._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

https://www.bgol.us/forum/threads/christine-lee-aka-ooh-sun-kyungsun-black-summer.1045925/

That was some great acting with no real dialogue

Last edited:

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The worst part is that it's supposed to take place somewhere in the Southwest and you can clearly tell it's filmed in Canada. The "American" soldiers sound like they should be hanging out with Ricky and Julian. Lance even picks up a box of shreddies cereal at one point.
I knew I wasn’t tripping about those accents

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
There’s no consistency! In one episode a headshot will drop them. Other episodes a head shot does nothing.
I don't remember a headshot not dropping a zombie, but if there was one, they touched on that in Z nation. Later in the series they did run into zombies that couldn't be killed by headshots. I just don't remember seeing any in this show.

This is what an zombie apocalypse would look like if it happened now. No sitting around talking, no getting to know each other. Just straight chaos. Doing shit with people on the fly, hoping the person your with has good intentions.
:yes: I agree. One of my favorite parts is when they were all armed with assault rifles and walking out in the open and seemingly had shit under control and it wall went to shit. Random humanoids with guns? Yeah, that will end well.

I was getting frustrated with all the dumb decisions

But an actual writer argued that if they DO NOT do dumb stuff?

You aint got no show

However l like THIS dumb...

It was frustrating as hell but sadly, it rang true.

I actually know i bet we ALL know someone as naive as barbara and as cowardly as that bearded cowardly lion.

And the speed makes the dumb mistakes seem more natural.

Think about it man. How dumb are people actually? When there is a hurricane warning, people have well over a week to prepare and still do the dumbest shit. Every day we see people who can barely function. I'm surprised they didn't show some dumb asses trying to take selfies and getting eaten.

It's sad but most the kind-hearted people such as Barbara would be wiped out. This show showed how quickly people go from school janitor to Neegan. I did like the scene where Barbara advised the guy to not get out of the car and he listened. She was catching on before she went through that windshield.

This is what walking dead should have been . Way more intense .
Im loving this shit

Yeah, there wasn't any time wasted in this at all. But there shouldn't be any time wasted in a world where dead people running around. But the most interesting part of zombie shows to me is showing how life is interrupted by outbreaks.

Parents trying to get their kids from school. Trying to get to grandmas house to save her. What if a loved one is recovering in a hospital? Families with babies. People stuck in an office building. So many scenarios.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
There’s no consistency! In one episode a headshot will drop them. Other episodes a head shot does nothing.

This^^^ i had a very big problem with that. Like u said one minutes a head shot n the next its just many bullets to the body. I didnt like that part of it.. it through me for a loop especially when they are just waisting ammo shooting at these things...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This^^^ i had a very big problem with that. Like u said one minutes a head shot n the next its just many bullets to the body. I didnt like that part of it.. it through me for a loop especially when they are just waisting ammo shooting at these things...

And like they ain;t ALREADY learn a HEAD SHOT is needed too.

ESPECIALLY the military should figure that out

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
not a lot of story so far just random people getting chased by sprinting zombies

people turn within seconds of dying

every one apparently are maraton runners

outbreak been going on for about 5 weeks and no one has figured out that you have to shoot them in the head

fat and old people wouldn't exist. These joints are scary with how quickly they change and how fast they run.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That shit where someone was shot, dead on their feet, and turned was some of the craziest shit I seen in a zombie movie/show. Shit had a 2004 Dawn of the Dead feel. And that chubby fuck Lance was getting a workout the entire series. :lol:

Yo the Lance episode was classic too

Cause we all think we gonna be Rick...

But most are really lance

Last edited:

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
On top of that, Lance's right hand is all fucked up when he tries to start the car. 5 minutes later he walks into the supermarket and it's perfectly fine.

Dude me n my cousin noticed that shit too... we like his hand is fucked up from sliding down that pole...but then minutes later his shit just fine...i know we looking too much jnto it, but come on u cant let that one go....lol

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
^^^^

Walking Dead and Fear ...

never REALLY show THAT aspect of the zombie apocalypse
Naw they got time to sit around fires and talk. I hate to shit on the AMC shows but, this is the way to do a zombie apocalypse. Imagine being in over populated Brooklyn or Manhattan. You'd be holed up in a building for days or weeks with no gun in sight. You wouldn't be able to drive, the road would be littered with cars. People would be making getaways on bikes

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Dude me n my cousin noticed that shit too... we like his hand is fucked up from sliding down that pole...but then minutes later his shit just fine...i know we looking too much jnto it, but come on u cant let that one go....lol

If it was a blood stain on Lance's shirt that changed from one scene to the next I could let that go. But there is absolutely no excuse for this at all.

I mean that well-stocked grocery store would have had a bandage he could have wrapped his hand in, but instead of doing this very easy fix they just wrote his injury out of the script.

Worst of all, nobody recognized this while they were filming. Not the actor, director, wardrobe, makeup, writers, NOBODY.

I was done with the white bitch after the school. Loved the story overall though. That ending definitely needs some work

All I can say about that ending is that you had an enclosed space with a wide open gate and yet somehow no zombies wandered in.

Even stranger, once they do try to get in, a chain link gate barred shut with a shotgun is somehow strong enough to hold back a horde of hundreds of bloodthirsty creatures with superhuman strength and energy.

While we're on the topic, why is everybody in town having so much trouble trying to find a damn football stadium? there are literally tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of locals who have been there several times and can tell you exactly how to get there.

Even if the locals are all dead, there are signs on the freeway. Freeways down? How hard is it to find a football stadium on a city map? Give you a hint, it's the big gray blob in the middle of downtown next to a fucking offramp.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
One thing this movie proves though, "I've got a family." Is one of the most bullshit self-righteous excuses in the book. How great would it be to knock off a bank and have the cops let you go because you said "officer, I have a family"?

Well no shit you have a family. Everyone has a family unless your name is Annie or Oliver Twist. if that's the case, you better not even spit on the sidewalk because you really have no excuse.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
These joints are almost World War Z level zombies

Are they smelling...hearing?

It's sort of crazy because they can see.

Are they trying to feed?

and the horde coming. :smh:

On top of that, Lance's right hand is all fucked up when he tries to start the car. 5 minutes later he walks into the supermarket and it's perfectly fine.

I was confused...I was like did he go clean it up or something :dunno:

Wanted clean hands to eat.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The way this is filmed with the shaky camera and camera angles is the MVP of this show

It adds suspense to it

The plan. :roflmao:

It's a bunch of idiots inside this restaurant and this is how it would be, everyone has a plan and wants to be the leader
like I said early

it was simultaneously patently absurd and utterly realistic.

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
Netflix's Black Summer Isn’t A Z Nation Prequel Series, Jaime King Says

Jaime-King-Black-Summer-Season-1.jpg

At first glance, it would be easy to think of Netflix’s Black Summer as yet another entry in a long line of zombie dramas, but Jaime King, the star of the apocalyptic series, says it’s not really about the undead, and it’s definitely not a prequel to Z Nation. The latter series made its mark on SYFY for five seasons and was unceremoniously canceled by the cable network in 2018, making the desire to connect the two understandable, especially for fans of Z Nation hoping for a sense of closure.
advertising

Black Summer, meanwhile, may come from the same folks at The Asylum — the production company responsible for Z Nation — but, in its pilot episode alone, it quickly establishes just how tonally different the shows are. That’s not to say the two series don’t share some DNA, after all, Black Summer is directed by John Hyams, who directed several episodes of Nation, and it also revolves around the idea of civilization’s collapse in the wake of a viral outbreak that turns people into unfeeling, flesh-eating monsters.

But are they definitely zombies in Black Summer? That question was raised when Screen Rant spoke with King ahead of the series premiere, and the actor said, “You know what? There was never a mention of zombies in the script.” Whether they’re the emaciated, shambling casualties from The Walking Dead or the fast-running, rage-infected mobs of 28 Days Later, the definition of what, exactly, constitutes a zombie is certainly up for debate. And as King sees it, Black Summer is less a zombie story than it is a story about refugees.
advertising

“It's really a refugee story. It’s a story of a country and a sickness, and the sickness really has all this symbolism in it. This sickness that people are getting is symbolic of the hatred and the division in our country. And nobody is immune, no matter how deeply you love, no matter who you are. No one is immune to what's happening right now and being affected by it, you know? Even when you see someone get sick, they're ordinary, they have no super powers. In a way, you feel sorry for them.

[It’s] a story about what happens in a country where the government falls apart and where the fabric of society is being torn apart, right? When people are not adept to having to survive on their own without one another. And again, what does that look like? …There’s something about the ordinariness of it that makes it so human.”

The ordinariness King mentions is perhaps one of the first clues that Black Summer isn’t the Z Nation prequel many (Screen Rant included) believed it to be. King was eager to clear up the misconception, and attributes the confusion to the fact that so many of the same people were involved in making both shows.
Jaime King Black Summer Season 1 Netflix

“It's interesting because people started tying [Black Summer] to Z Nation and I'm like this has nothing to do with that. It's not a link to Z Nation. I had never actually seen Z Nation or heard about Z Nation, but I have friends who absolutely love that show, and then people started putting it out there that it was like a prequel of Z-Nation, which it's not. So there was a moment when it was kind of confusing because I was like, wait, how is this related? And really there is no relationship, but the relationship is it came from the people that were involved with Z Nation, but that's where I think it all the sudden became, oh this must be a straight up zombie genre show, and it's so much deeper than that. If you want to see the meaning and the drama and the truth, it's there. And if you're in and down and love something that is genre-bending and terrifying because it's so honest, it's also there. It's got everything. And it was really exciting to blend all of these genres together. That tells a true great story.”

There will likely be plenty of debate as to whether or not Black Summer fits in with the likes of Night of the Living Dead or not, or if it's something else entirely. Fans of the zombie genre will likely get their fill with the eight-episode drama currently streaming on Netflix, but it sounds as though anyone hoping for an overt connection with Z Nation will be left wanting.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
That episode came of on no where. I thought I missed an episode. How did they know it was there? Did they talk about it before?

I didn't like that episode at all. It seemed so out of place.

and I hope shorty didn't suck dick, kissing her in the mouth. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Netflix's Black Summer Isn’t A Z Nation Prequel Series, Jaime King Says

Jaime-King-Black-Summer-Season-1.jpg

At first glance, it would be easy to think of Netflix’s Black Summer as yet another entry in a long line of zombie dramas, but Jaime King, the star of the apocalyptic series, says it’s not really about the undead, and it’s definitely not a prequel to Z Nation. The latter series made its mark on SYFY for five seasons and was unceremoniously canceled by the cable network in 2018, making the desire to connect the two understandable, especially for fans of Z Nation hoping for a sense of closure.
advertising

Black Summer, meanwhile, may come from the same folks at The Asylum — the production company responsible for Z Nation — but, in its pilot episode alone, it quickly establishes just how tonally different the shows are. That’s not to say the two series don’t share some DNA, after all, Black Summer is directed by John Hyams, who directed several episodes of Nation, and it also revolves around the idea of civilization’s collapse in the wake of a viral outbreak that turns people into unfeeling, flesh-eating monsters.

But are they definitely zombies in Black Summer? That question was raised when Screen Rant spoke with King ahead of the series premiere, and the actor said, “You know what? There was never a mention of zombies in the script.” Whether they’re the emaciated, shambling casualties from The Walking Dead or the fast-running, rage-infected mobs of 28 Days Later, the definition of what, exactly, constitutes a zombie is certainly up for debate. And as King sees it, Black Summer is less a zombie story than it is a story about refugees.
advertising

“It's really a refugee story. It’s a story of a country and a sickness, and the sickness really has all this symbolism in it. This sickness that people are getting is symbolic of the hatred and the division in our country. And nobody is immune, no matter how deeply you love, no matter who you are. No one is immune to what's happening right now and being affected by it, you know? Even when you see someone get sick, they're ordinary, they have no super powers. In a way, you feel sorry for them.

[It’s] a story about what happens in a country where the government falls apart and where the fabric of society is being torn apart, right? When people are not adept to having to survive on their own without one another. And again, what does that look like? …There’s something about the ordinariness of it that makes it so human.”

The ordinariness King mentions is perhaps one of the first clues that Black Summer isn’t the Z Nation prequel many (Screen Rant included) believed it to be. King was eager to clear up the misconception, and attributes the confusion to the fact that so many of the same people were involved in making both shows.
Jaime King Black Summer Season 1 Netflix

“It's interesting because people started tying [Black Summer] to Z Nation and I'm like this has nothing to do with that. It's not a link to Z Nation. I had never actually seen Z Nation or heard about Z Nation, but I have friends who absolutely love that show, and then people started putting it out there that it was like a prequel of Z-Nation, which it's not. So there was a moment when it was kind of confusing because I was like, wait, how is this related? And really there is no relationship, but the relationship is it came from the people that were involved with Z Nation, but that's where I think it all the sudden became, oh this must be a straight up zombie genre show, and it's so much deeper than that. If you want to see the meaning and the drama and the truth, it's there. And if you're in and down and love something that is genre-bending and terrifying because it's so honest, it's also there. It's got everything. And it was really exciting to blend all of these genres together. That tells a true great story.”

There will likely be plenty of debate as to whether or not Black Summer fits in with the likes of Night of the Living Dead or not, or if it's something else entirely. Fans of the zombie genre will likely get their fill with the eight-episode drama currently streaming on Netflix, but it sounds as though anyone hoping for an overt connection with Z Nation will be left wanting.

I don't even watch that show and she wrong...

It even says its a prequel in the description on Netflix online.