My New Internet Crush...Beyonce / Beyoncé UPDATE: Renaissance Act II: Cowboy Carter UPDATE: 1st Black woman with No. 1 country song

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
Pan-Africans and Black immigrants are losing their shit right now on social media....

Descendants....we up:cool:

She tried to rep the African shit on that Lion King album, but was called a colonizer and got clowned. So she's just back to repping her Texas roots.

This

The Nigerians and South Africans tore her a new one, criticized her, and mocked her attempt at the African album.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

GIg4TgTXcAAunvb

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Beyoncé addresses Grammys Album of the Year snubs on Cowboy Carter: 'Take that s--- on the chin'​

Queen Bey ain't "stuntin' 'bout" awards on the track "Sweet Honey Buckin'."
By
Lester Fabian Brathwaite

Published on March 29, 2024

Unlike her husband, Beyoncé prefers to address any controversies surrounding her in her music.

Though she lost the Grammy for Album of the Year for a record fourth time last year, the superstar seems to be taking it in stride. At least that's what she sings on the Cowboy Carter track "Sweet Honey Buckin'."

Beyonce

Beyoncé.
KEVIN WINTER/GETTY

The genre-bending song opens with an interpolation of country legend Patsy Cline's immortal "I Fall to Pieces" and features the rising alt-country artist Shaboozey. But what really stands out on "Sweet Honey Buckin'" are the no-nonsense lyrics about those multiple Grammys snubs.

"AOTY, I ain't win / I ain't stuntin' 'bout them / Take that s--- on the chin / Come back and f--- up the pen," Bey rhymes on the penultimate cut of her just-released eighth studio album. For her, it's the work that matters.

Beyoncé Cowboy Carter press photo

Beyoncé in her 'Cowboy Carter' era.
BLAIR CALDWELL
Jay-Z had a slightly different reaction when he took the stage to accept the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award at the Grammy Awards this past February. The rapper did not mince words, calling out the Recording Academy for failing to recognize his wife with the Album of the Year prize.

“I’m just sayin’, we want y’all to get it right,” Mr. Knowles-Carter said. “We love y’all… at least get it close to right. And obviously it’s subjective — y’all don’t gotta clap at everything — obviously it’s subjective because it’s music and it’s opinion-based. But some things, you know… I don’t wanna embarrass this young lady, but she has more Grammys than everyone and never won Album of the Year, so even by your own metrics that doesn’t work.”

Despite winning a record 32 Grammys, Bey was never snagged what many consider the most coveted trophy from the Academy. She was nominated for Album of the Year in 2009 for I Am...Sasha Fierce, in 2014 for Beyoncé, in 2017 for Lemonade, and in 2023 for Renaissance — but she lost out every time.

It's a pretty safe bet that she'll get nominated for the top prize again for the epic Cowboy Carter, a nod that could pit her against four-time AOTY winner Taylor Swift, who will release her upcoming album, The Tortured Poets Department, on April 19.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dolly Parton compares Beyoncé's Becky to Jolene on Cowboy Carter: 'That hussy with the good hair'​

Your life isn't complete until you've heard Dolly call someone a 'hussy.'
By
Lester Fabian Brathwaite

"Hey, Miss Honey B, it's Dolly P," says the one and only Dolly Parton, kicking off her interlude on Beyoncé's just-released country album, Cowboy Carter.

Before Beyoncé dives into her cover of Parton's 1973 classic "Jolene" — complete with brand-new Beyoncé-fied lyrics — Parton serves up her own callback, referencing the infamous "Becky" from Bey's Lemonade era.

Beyonce and Dolly Parton

Beyoncé; Dolly Parton.
BEYONCE/YOUTUBE;PAUL NATKIN/GETTY
"You know, that hussy with the good hair you sang about reminded me of someone I knew back when," Parton says. "Except she has flaming locks of auburn hair. Bless her heart. Just a hair of a different color, but it hurts just the same.”

Parton already hinted that Bey had done a cover of "Jolene" for Cowboy Carter — before almost immediately realizing she was probably supposed to keep mum.

“Well, I think she has!" she said. "I think she's recorded ‘Jolene,’ and I think it's probably gonna be on her country album, which I'm very excited about that,” Parton told Knox News two weeks ago, clarifying, with more careful language, that she "heard" and "thinks" and "hopes" that the diva had remade her beloved song about the most famous boyfriend-stealer in music history.

Parton wrote and recorded "Jolene" in 1973, and proving that she's the ultimate GOAT, she did it on the same day she wrote another one of her gems, "I Will Always Love You." Parton claimed that the song, in which she pleads with a gorgeous redhead not to take her man, was based on the true story of a redhead who worked at a bank in Nashville who, the singer said, "was trying to take care of my man."

While country music is full of songs about the other woman, "Jolene" has always stood out because of the adoration Parton heaps on its title character, whose "beauty is beyond compare" and whose "smile is like a breath of spring." Fans have noted that Parton seems even more infatuated with Jolene than the man she's purportedly trying to steal from her.

Beyoncé has her own famous song about the other woman, though it's not nearly as fawning. "Becky with the good hair" found her way onto the track "Sorry," from the singer's 2016 cheating-husband opus, Lemonade. Fast-forward eight years, and Beyoncé's "Jolene" better watch her edges.

"Jolene, Jolene, I'm warning you, don't come for my man," Bey threatens on her new cover of the song. "You're beautiful beyond compare," she concedes, but, she adds, it "takes more than beauty and seductive stares" to break up her relationship.

As Mrs. Carter sings, "Jolene, I know I'm a queen / Jolene, I'm still a Creole Banjee bitch from Louisianne (Don't try me)" it becomes crystal clear that she's not going down without a fight.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

From Miley to Dolly to Willie, here are all of Beyoncé's collaborators on Cowboy Carter

It's a grand ole country party!
By
Lester Fabian Brathwaite

For Beyoncé's grand ole country party, she invited a carriage-full of collaborators — from household names and country legends to young Black artists shaking up the genre. Here, your guide to Bey's Cowboy Carter impressive posse.

Tanner Adell​

Tanner Adell

Tanner Adell.
DANIELLE DEL VALLE/GETTY
Born in Lexington, Ky., and raised in Manhattan Beach, Calif., Tanner Adell garnered a significant following on social media before putting out her debut album, Buckle Bunny, in 2023. On Cowboy Carter she shows up on "Blackbiird," Bey's cover of the Beatles classic White Album track "Blackbird."

Brittney Spencer​

Brittney spencer austin 10 05 23

Brittney Spencer.
RICK KERN/WIREIMAGE
A Baltimore native, Brittney Spencer released a cover of the Highwomen's "Crowded Table" in 2020 that went viral, leading to her first EP, Compassion, which came out later that year, and her debut studio album, My Stupid Life, which dropped earlier this year. She also sings on "Blackbiird."

Tiera Kennedy​

Tiera Kennedy Nashville 11 08 23

Tiera Kennedy.
BRETT CARLSEN/GETTY
Alabama native Tiera Kennedy released her first EP, Tiera, in 2021 and will unveil her debut studio album, I Ain't a Cowgirl, in April. She also sings on "Blackbiird."

Reyna Roberts​

Reyna Roberts Nashville 11 08 23

Reyna Roberts.
LEAH PUTTKAMMER/FILMMAGIC
Born in Alaska and raised in Alabama and California, Reyna Roberts turned heads when she covered Carrie Underwood's "Drinking Alone," earning kudos from Underwood and country singer Mickey Guyton. She released her debut studio album, Bad Girl Bible, Vol. 1, last September. She also joins Bey on "Blackbiird."

Rumi Carter​

Rumi Carter Las Vegas super bowl 02 11 24

Rumi Carter.
ETHAN MILLER/GETTY
One of Bey and her husband Jay-Z's dynamic twins, Rumi Carter makes her professional musical debut on the Cowboy Carter track "Protector," asking the singer, "Mom, can I hear the lullaby, please?" Kids, they grow up so fast. Next thing you know, she'll be demanding that "Diva" remain on a setlist.

Willie Nelson​

Willie Nelson attends a press conference during the Farm Aid 2022 music festival at the Coastal Credit Union Music Park on September 24, 2022 in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Willie Nelson.
SUZANNE CORDEIRO/AFP/GETTY
Redheaded stranger, and perhaps the only person alive who can smoke Snoop Dogg under the table, Willie Nelson lends his distinctive drawl as a DJ on Cowboy Carter's fictional KNTRY radio station on two interludes, appropriately titled "Smoke Hour" and "Smoke Hour II."

Dolly Parton​

Dolly Parton

Dolly Parton. DANIEL BOCZARSKI/GETTY IMAGES
Certified national treasure Dolly Parton needs no introduction, but she introduces Bey's update of her classic song "Jolene" on the interlude "Dolly P" and later shows up on the opening of the track "Tyrant," insisting, "Cowboy Carter, time to strike a match and light up this juke joint!"

Linda Martell​

Linda Martell poses for a portrait circa 1969 in Nashville, Tennessee

Linda Martell.
MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY
Country pioneer Linda Martell — who was the first Black woman to score multiple hits on the country charts and the first to perform at the Grand Ole Opry — gets a Cowboy Carter interlude, "The Linda Martell Show," and waxes on the limitations of musical genres on the track "Spaghettii."

Shaboozey​

Shaboozey

Shaboozey.
AMY SUSSMAN/GETTY
The Virginian-born Nigerian American alt-country artist guests on two tracks: "Spaghettii" and the Patsy Cline–channeling "Sweet Honey Buckin'." Shaboozey will release his next album, Where I’ve Been Isn’t Where I’m Going, in May.

Miley Cyrus​

Miley Cyrus at the 66th Annual GRAMMY Awards held at Crypto.com Arena on February 4, 2024 in Los Angeles, California.

Miley Cyrus.
GILBERT FLORES/BILLBOARD VIA GETTY IMAGES
A lot of speculation circulated about Taylor Swift appearing on Cowboy Carter, and later Lady Gaga entered the conversation as a possible collab. But Miley Cyrus is the pop star belting her face off with Bey on the standout track "II Most Wanted."

Post Malone​

Post Malone Las Vegas super bowl 02 11 24

Post Malone.
PERRY KNOTTS/GETTY
Rapper, singer, and professional sad boy Post Malone hops on the breezy, summer-ready bop "Levii's Jeans." Suddenly, him introducing his mom to Bey, a work friend, makes all the sense in the world.

Rhiannon Giddens​

Rhiannon Giddens

Rhiannon Giddens.
DOUGLAS MASON/GETTY
North Carolina native Rhiannon Giddens plays the banjo on the Cowboy Carter single "Texas Hold 'Em," and in 2023 she and Michael Abels won the Pulitzer Prize in Music for the opera Omar. She released her third solo studio album, You're the One, last August.

Justin Schipper​

Beyonce collaborator Justin Schipper

Justin Schipper.
JEREMY COWART
Multi-instrumentalist Justin Schipper has collaborated with country artists including Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town, and Chris Stapleton. He plays pedal steel guitar on "16 Carriages."

Robert Randolph​

Robert Randolph

Robert Randolph.
FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP VIA GETTY
New Jersey native and steel pedal guitarist Robert Randolph and his group, the Family Band, started releasing albums in 2003, inspired by the likes of Earth, Wind & Fire and Sly and the Family Stone. Randolph plays pedal steel guitar on "16 Carriages."

Raphael Saadiq​

Raphael Saadiq

Raphael Saadiq.
JOHN SALANGSANG/VARIETY VIA GETTY
A music legend, Raphael Saadiq has been making hits since he was the frontman of New Jack Swing group Tony! Toni! Toné!. He segued into writing and producing songs for everyone from Whitney Houston to Bey's sister Solange, and he composed the score for HBO's Insecure. He's a writer and producer on the Cowboy Carter tracks "Texas Hold 'Em" and "16 Carriages."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Beyoncé's Cowboy Carter features a reference to her 'Telephone' video — but it's not from Lady Gaga​

Beyoncé and Gaga fans have been waiting for the pair's promised "Telephone" music video sequel for ages, but nothing has materialized after 14 years.
By
Joey Nolfi

After 14 years of fans waiting to see where the Kill Bill P---y Wagon took Lady Gaga and Beyoncé after they murdered a restaurant full of people with toxic pancakes, the latter's new album, Cowboy Carter, gives them the tiniest (non-poisonous) morsel of a hint that the long-promised sequel to their 2010 "Telephone" video could still happen.

While many speculated that Gaga would be one of the featured artists on the country-influenced Cowboy Carter — the second release in Beyoncé's three-act musical project that also includes 2022's Renaissance — she doesn't show up on the LP. But a reference to "Telephone" does.

Lady Gaga, Cowboy Carter album cover, Beyonce

Lady Gaga; Beyoncé's 'Cowboy Carter' album cover; Beyoncé in the 'Telephone' music video.
LADY GAGA/YOUTUBE; PARKWOOD ENTERTAINMENT

"Hey, Miss Honey Bee, it's Dolly P," Dolly Parton says on the album's "Dolly P" interlude, which plays just before Beyoncé's cover of the Parton classic "Jolene" — and fans will remember that Honey Bee was the name of Beyoncé's character in the "Telephone" video.

And that's not all. "You know that hussy with the good hair you sing about?" Parton continues, referring to "Becky with the good hair" from "Sorry," a song from Beyoncé's beloved 2016 album, Lemonade. "Reminded me of someone I knew back when, except she has flamin' locks of auburn hair. Bless her heart. Just a hair of a different color, but it hurts just the same."

At the end of the Jonas Åkerlund–directed "Telephone" video, Gaga and Beyoncé — on the run after their aforementioned crime spree — set off into the unknown riding in their yellow P---y Wagon truck, with Gaga turning to her companion to praise their work.

"We did it, Honey Bee. Now let's go far, far away from here," she tells Beyoncé, who asks, "You promise we'll never come back?"

Beyoncé's words were an omen of things to come, as the clip concludes with a title card reading "To be continued." But 14 years later, no sequel has materialized. "Telephone" appeared on Gaga's 2009 record, The Fame Monster, and the pair released another song, "Video Phone," on a reissue of Beyoncé's I Am... Sasha Fierce album earlier that year, but that song's visual has no narrative link to the "Telephone" video.

Speculation over Gaga's potential involvement on Cowboy Carter began in February at the 2024 Super Bowl, which both superstars attended despite not interacting together on camera.

EW has reached out to a representative for Beyoncé for comment.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Last edited: