Music Debate: Who did YOU think was gonna blow up after Making the Band? Update: Its BACK! 2020

Who did you think was gonna have a solid career?

• Total voters

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
0903_bad_boys_da_band_a.jpg

Sara Stokes, Dylan Dilinjah, Frederick (Freddy P) Watson, Rodney (Chopper) Hill, Lloyd (Ness) Mathis & Lynese (Babs) Wiley

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:185372ba-ed01-11e0-aca6-0026b9414f30" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.cc.com">Comedy Central</a>,<a href="http://www.cc.com/funny-videos">Funny Videos</a>,<a href="http://www.cc.com/shows">Funny TV Shows</a></p></div></div>​

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Dylan Dylan Dylan

because he spit hot fire

but for real

Chopper

Because the south was big and he had personality

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Making The Band’ Alum Sara Stokes Arrested For Stabbing Husband
The former Da Band singer allegedly struck husband in an altercation on August 2.

“Making the Band 2″ alumna Sara Stokes was arrested last Sunday on domestic abuse charges after the former Diddy protégé allegedly stabbed her husband, Tony, in an altercation at their Moreno Valley, California, home on August 2, police have confirmed.

The singer, who along with rappers Chopper, Fred Watson, Babs, Ness and reggae vocalist Dylan formed [artist id="1758159"]Da Band[/artist] — allegedly struck her husband with the weapon in the presence of her three children. Stokes is believed to have been injured in the fracas as she fell while storming out of her home. A mug shot shows Stokes with bruises above and below her left eye and a bloodied nose.

A lawyer for Stokes released a statement to TMZ explaining that the couple was in fact having “fun” when she fell and her husband tended to her.

“Sara and Tony have a very passionate and loving relationship that on August 2, while having an evening of fun, she slipped and fell, hitting her head heavily on the ground and somehow in the process of helping her Tony got injured,” Eric Kayira said.

Stokes first came to the public’s attention in 2002, during tryouts for MTV’s “Making the Band,” which was being taken over by hip-hop impressario Diddy. The Detroit native won over the Bad Bay Records CEO with her vocal ability and later joined a collection of rappers on the show’s second season. Stokes was more level-headed than her counterparts, although she and her husband drew the ire of her bandmates when she requested several concessions; most notably for the group’s sound to be more pop than urban.

Da Band released their one and only album, Too Hot for TV, in 2003. The project failed to deliver any bona fide hits, and after season three of the show, Diddy dismantled the group. Since that time, the members have all continued to work on their solo music careers .

mgid:uma:image:mtv.com:4182764

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Sara Stokes - a middling hook singer who doesn't disquish herself from the crowd at all.

Dylan Dilinjah - waay too full of himself and his legal issues tripped him up as much as beanie seigals did.

Frederick (Freddy P) Watson-dime a dozen rapper

Rodney (Chopper) Hill - dime a dozen rapper

Lloyd (Ness) Mathis - dime a dozen rapper

Lynese (Babs) Wiley - dime a dozen female rapper

the whole concept of that show was horrible..4 rappers a reggae toaster and a hook singer none of whom had any chemistry and it did more to hurt bad boys brand than anything. It did nothing for the people on the show either as its been what almost 10 years and not one of them has been able to capitalize off the exposure in any meaningful way. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
chopper-the-industry-cosign_zpsc820d2cf.jpeg

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/169826346&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Sara Stokes - a middling hook singer who doesn't disquish herself from the crowd at all.

Dylan Dilinjah - waay too full of himself and his legal issues tripped him up as much as beanie seigals did.

the whole concept of that show was horrible..3 rappers a reggae toaster and a hook singer none of whom had any chemistry and it did more to hurt bad boys brand than anything. It did nothing for the people on the show either as its been what almost 10 years and not one of them has been able to capitalize off the exposure in any meaningful way. :smh:

you could argue it did hurt bad boy as a legitimate respected music label but it HELPED Puff and Chappelle...

and helped continue Bad Boys legacy in the CULTURE.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They did a concert in Raleigh in the old Dorton Arena. There were only 20 cars in the parking lot, 8 of them were police who were working security.:lol:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting...I always thought Ness and Babs might have been the break outs. More so Babs cause she would have been the new coming for female rappers; she could have gotten a lot of people behind her. Perhaps we wouldn't have an Iggy if there was a Babs...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting...I always thought Ness and Babs might have been the break outs. More so Babs cause she would have been the new coming for female rappers; she could have gotten a lot of people behind her. Perhaps we wouldn't have an Iggy if there was a Babs...

:lol: thats naive...

we had nicki minaj and STILL got gotta:lol:

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
I had to do a double take to see the date on this thread

:lol:

the whole concept of that show was horrible..4 rappers a reggae toaster and a hook singer none of whom had any chemistry and it did more to hurt bad boys brand than anything. It did nothing for the people on the show either as its been what almost 10 years and not one of them has been able to capitalize off the exposure in any meaningful way. :smh:

I thought it was blatant exploitation. This is when I really began to believe that Diddy would do anything for a dollar and to maintain exposure.

Anybody remember when Fred was crying because he was scared of the crowd? :lol:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol:

I thought it was blatant exploitation. This is when I really began to believe that Diddy would do anything for a dollar and to maintain exposure.

Anybody remember when Fred was crying because he was scared of the crowd? :lol:

didn't that nigga suck his thumb??

and puffy irreparably damaged their image by hazing them...shit talking and being braggadocios is a rapper's main weapon its hard to talk shit about someone else when some nigga made you walked to brooklyn late at night for cheesecake... :hmm::rolleyes:

dray

Rising Star
Registered
Lyrically, I thought Babs was nice but I knew she wouldn't blow up.

Everyone else was trash.

The whole concept of the show was shyt!

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
didn't that nigga suck his thumb??

and puffy irreparably damaged their image by hazing them...shit talking and being braggadocios is a rapper's main weapon its hard to talk shit about someone else when some nigga made you walked to brooklyn late at night for cheesecake... :hmm::rolleyes:

Oh yeah! I forgot he liked to suck his thumb! :lol:

And Puff hazed them ON CAMERA! I'm sure a lot of rappers have had to do bullshit like that to get on, but it's not exposed.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol: thats naive...

we had nicki minaj and STILL got gotta:lol:

Well I mean this was back in the day. This was when music was 'dying'...its damn near dead now.

I think this concept of grooming artists only work best for same sex groups who sing and dance. find that niche and milk it. craft a cirque de soleil show out of it. you sing, dance, solo talent within the group...that damn show could last for bout an hour and a half. A bunch of folks rapping on stage can't last for more then thirty minutes.

jsbball24

Star
BGOL Investor
I remember when that female rapper Mysterious spazzed out at that restaurant, this show was the bomb tho I wish they would put this season on Netflix or release the DVD

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace
This

I remember that BigEgo shit though & that video FreddyP dropped with him jumping out the Altima or something, stuntin where BGOL proceeded to clown & killed him

The only joint I ever heard with potential because of BR & Aasim