Music Debate: RAKIM RESPONDS TO OUTKAST BEING RANKED NO. 1 OVER HIM & ERIC B. ON BILLBOARD RAP LIST

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The publication said the criteria for its rankings included: body of work/achievements (charted singles/albums, gold/platinum certifications, other awards), cultural impact/influence (how the group’s work fostered the genre’s evolution), longevity (years at the mic), lyrics (storytelling skills) and flow (vocal prowess).

“Our definition of groups includes duos, proper groups and more nebulous collectives. Most notably, inclusion on this list is based on the accomplishments of the group as a unit — not what the individuals may have separately accomplished. We tried to walk the line between what constitutes a group versus a collective or a crew, though at times that was not entirely clear,” the publication explained.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Eric B and Rakim was some of the first rap I listened to in the 80s. I remember their CD being one of the 'free ones' I got out those promotions in TV guide where they sent CDs if you promised to buy some. :lol:

Even after all those memories, have no problem at all with Outkast being above them.

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why would he respond when the publisher clearly states rap group :hmm: And if we were ranking rappers singlely; I could make a case for 3000 stacks over Rakim…

No disrespect to Rakim but prime three stacks can easily go toe to toe, and in some cases surpass Rakim.
Y'all been drinking, right?

I mean, I know it's the 4th weekend, so I ain't gonna knock you...

but you need to put that bottle down before you post on BGOL.

Cause that liquor got you talking crazy.

Your man can't find the courage to release a solo album. And you comparing him to the God MC?

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Y'all been drinking, right?

I mean, I know it's the 4th weekend, so I ain't gonna knock you...

but you need to put that bottle down before you post on BGOL.

Cause that liquor got you talking crazy.

Your man can't find the courage to release a solo album. And you comparing him to the God MC?
I know Rakim is a solid MC, but Andre 3000 is not wet behind the ears. Andre 3000 lyrically can hang with Rakim

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
the title kind of feels click-baity, Not the O.P's title but the article's.

Someone walked up to him on the street and asked him pernt-blank for his opinion, and he spoke on it.
For those who didn't watch the vid or don't like clicking external links;

Here is how he responded;

when asked about his own spot on the list (7) and if he thought he should have been listed higher;
The R said:
Nah mean, I’m always gonna say I shoulda been higher but it’s a blessing to be recognized and it’s a good time to be recognized as well,”

when asked about Outcast at No. 1
The R said:
“It’s not really my place to say who else deserves or not, I can only speak for myself, but OutKast pushed the envelope, a group that a lot of people got love for. So, you know we have to give the flowers to who earns them.

That is an entirely lucid, appropriate and classy response to the question he was asked. Showed love and did not disrespect anyone.

As an aside- I agree with those who say Hip-Hop history should not consider Eric B and Rakim as a group-

From what I've read (@ woodchuck?) should be considered a solo act, lol.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I love Rakim, grew up on his music, and as a pioneer and a lyricist, not many come close.... But I'd rate 3 Stacks above him.

People's nostalgia often make them choose Rakim as the GOAT, but truth be told, his lyrics are simple compared to some of the shit Andre spit.

Also, Rakim never really did anything since he and Eric B. parted ways. The 18th Letter was a decent album but if I had to choose, 3 Stacks over Rakim.

Last edited:

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
nah... Rakim all day.. he created the flow.. 3 stack is just a weirdo ass dude who can rap.. but nobody was trying to emulate his flow. and if you don't know.. 2 stacks.. brought EB&Rakim cd not the other way around. foh with that 3 stacks shit.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Filling in the six notches between Eric B. & Rakim and OutKast are Public Enemy at No. 6, Run-D.M.C. at No. 5, A Tribe Called Quest at No. 4, N.W.A at No. 3 and Wu-Tang Clan at No. 2.

:idea:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Why do these websites always put the Beastie Boys so high on these lists.

I understand,their impact on early hip hop but I never heard one person say "Lets bump the Beastie Boys".
white-ness

look -the members are DEEP hip hop - culturally... AdRock is definitely an unsung as a great hip hop A&R and producer

but

imo the Beasties are punk - (and yes punk is one of the foundations of hiphop)
they started as a punk group - got no real heat , rebranded as rappers and took off , but the music remained punk

their tours opened doors for hiphop legends - brought hip hop to white middle america, white colleges and white rock fans

so now wypipo and old hip hop tourists see the Beasties as more hiphop than BDP

Listen, I grew up listening to both of those cats. I have no beef with Rakim, but André 3000 versus was super creative and it flowed.
there should be no comparison btwn Rakim and 3k - just like comparing Nas to Rakim
or comparing Rakim to Kool Moe D
different eras - like Rakim KRS etc previously did, Nas and 3k were artists building on a foundation built by those that came before

with that being said -your posts demonstrate that you didn't really "listen" to Eric B and Rakim nor solo Rakim projects -
hearing a handful of their popular hits is not "listening"

this is like only hearing music from The Birth of Cool everywhere as a kid / teen and later saying you grew up listening to Miles Davis

truth be told, his lyrics are simple compared to some of the shit Andre spit.
:lol:
another demonstration of limited listening...