Movie Discussion: CAPTAIN MARVEL (Spoilers) UPDATE: Sequel MARVELS has New Black female director!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Brie-Larson-Sexy-TheFappeningBlog.com-7.jpg
Brie-Larson-Sexy-TheFappeningBlog.com-3.jpg

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I will watch the movie, but Captain Marvel is not needed in the MCU at all.
She stole the shine that could have been given to the HULK.
We don't need an over powered character that isn't the Hulk.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Candyman's Nia DaCosta tapped to direct Captain Marvel sequel, Deadline reports
Nia DaCosta, who directed the upcoming Candyman film, is set to take on the sequel to 2019's Captain Marvel, according to a report by Deadline Hollywood. The gig would make DaCosta the first Black woman to direct a Marvel film.

oh if you thought white men hated the first one......

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered

I didn't even understand how that tesseract powered device exploding gave her her powers anyway.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can say she is a Kree so her special DNA and radiation allowed her powers through mutation.

She was able to absorb energy from an Infinity Stone because of her alien DNA.
Vision did the same thing. He was powered from the energy of an Infinity Stone.

If Tony or Thanos had the time, they might have been able to do harness the energy in a better way instead of damaging themselves.

I didn't even understand how that tesseract powered device exploding gave her her powers anyway.

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered
You can say she is a Kree so her special DNA and radiation allowed her powers through mutation.

She was able to absorb energy from an Infinity Stone because of her alien DNA.
Vision did the same thing. He was powered from the energy of an Infinity Stone.

If Tony or Thanos had the time, they might have been able to do harness the energy in a better way instead of damaging themselves.

The Kree are apparently more powerful in the MCU than in the comics. While there was an issue where of CAPTAIN MARVEL when Mar-Vell was juiced up on solar energy he fought Thor to a standstill, Asgardians are supposed to be stronger than Kree. On an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, in Sif's 2nd appearance she was amnesiac and fought a Kree dude who tossed her around. I thought that was bullshit.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't watered down Thanos' power and abilities.

The same with Hulk. How they diminished his power is criminal.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Teyonah Parris introduces the grown-up Monica Rambeau in WandaVision

By Devan Coggan
November 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
CREDIT: © MARVEL STUDIOS
WandaVision
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • Disney+
GENRE
WandaVision may center on Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch and Paul Bettany’s Vision, but when the series drops on Disney+ this winter, it’ll also introduce a new hero: Monica Rambeau, played by Teyonah Parris. Monica may not be a household name the way some of her Marvel peers are, but she already has a history in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — and an even longer one in the comics.
MCU fans first met Monica as a young child in 2019’s Captain Marvel, as the daughter of Carol Danvers’ best friend and Air Force ally Maria Rambeau (played by Lashana Lynch). The young Monica (Akira Akbar) is fast friends with her aunt Carol (Brie Larson), but here, Lieutenant Trouble is all grown up. And she plays a key role in the strange, sitcom-inspired world of WandaVision.
PAID CONTENT

30 and Thriving at JCPenney
Influencer Kyra Knox shares how she reached her #HairGoals in time for her 30th birthday at The Salon by InStyle Inside JCPenney.
From JCPenney
"[She has] a toughness and an ability to be a woman in a man's space," teases head writer Jac Schaeffer. "Teyonah really brought that."
First created by Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. in the 1980s, Monica was introduced in the comics as a New Orleans native who gained superpowers after exposure to an intense energy blast. She soon signed up with the Avengers, becoming the first African-American woman to join and eventually taking over as the team’s leader. Over the years, she’s gone by various names, including Captain Marvel, Photon, Pulsar, and Spectrum. (She was actually the first woman to take on the Captain Marvel mantle, preceding Carol Danvers by decades.) And she’s extraordinarily powerful in the comics, with the ability to fly, travel at the speed of light, and even transform herself into pure energy.
“I feel so special and honored to be able to walk in her shoes and bring her story to life,” says the 33-year-old Parris. “I hope that me playing this character (a) gives a group of people who are underrepresented a chance to see themselves, and (b) seeing my face and my Black body helps them engage with Black women and our humanity.”

Marvel Studios had always intended to reintroduce an adult version of Monica after her debut in the ‘90s-set Captain Marvel, but they’re tight-lipped about exactly how she fits into the reality-bending WandaVision. (The first trailer shows her zooming through the air, before crashing through some kind of energy barrier and landing on the ground, surrounded by what look like military agents.) “One of the fun mysteries is how the heck would she become involved in this odd sitcom that Wanda and Vision find themselves in,” teases coexecutive producer Mary Livanos. “That’s a mystery the show unravels along the way.”

And as Livanos points out, pairing her with Wanda and Vision makes sense: In the comics, Wanda, Vision, and Monica fought side-by-side as members of the Avengers.
“Looking back to Monica Rambeau’s comic book history, she’s a leader among heroes,” Livanos adds. “She’s the type of hero that can always talk with other heroes. She’s a huge asset.”
When Parris first auditioned for the role, all she knew was that it was for some sort of Marvel project. “When I found out I actually got it, I tried to jump off a set of stairs because in my body, I was like, ‘I can fly! I can freaking fly!’” she says with a laugh. “My family had to calm me down.”
Best known for her roles in Mad Men, Dear White People, and Chi-Raq, Parris says she had to adjust to the size and scale of working on the MCU’s first Disney+ series — like with that scene in the trailer, where she whizzes through the air.
“What I’m finding challenging is doing things that I’m uncomfortable with and I’ve never had experience with [while] still trying to tell the story at hand,” she explains. “[I have] to look like I know what I’m doing, even though I’m 20 feet hanging in the air, and I’m sweating, and my hair is doing this and that, and I smudged my eyebrow off, and I still have to connect with the actor who’s on the ground waiting on me.”
But ultimately, she says she's excited to introduce audiences to this new version of a decades-old character — and finally give Monica her time in the spotlight.
“I do feel empowered and that I have a voice in this character and who she is and what we’re creating,” Parris says. “I do think that they trust some of my own instincts and they’re valuing what I’m bringing to the character. I’m really appreciative of that.”

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
oh if you thought white men hated the first one......

imma keep it real. after ava duvernay (sp) i have some concerns with this. imma keep an open mind but......

also, remember that ava was supposed to get black panther. after seeing a wrinkle in time it was good that she did not.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ok .. She seems to be a mix of the comic Captain Mar-Vell and Green Lantern with her Armlet being the Mega Bands/Power Ring...

No Inhuman powers? I guess her comic book origin was to similar to Mr. Fantastic with the stretchy shit...

I am very confused about why they altered her powers.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am very confused about why they altered her powers.

Rumor is to make her more a cosmic power based character to fit in better with The Marvel's: Captain Marvel and Spectrum...

And if they keep her Inhuman they have the Kree, Skulls and Inhuman storylines to play with...

The bracelet might be of an Inhuman origin...

And mainly to sperate her power set from Mr. Fantastic... She was basically a female Inhuman of Mr Fantastic...

Last edited: