merce77's Classic Boxing Thread, tape them hands up before you enter!!!!

Which of the 3 Sugars would've beaten Mayweather?

• Sugar Ray Robinson

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Sugar Ray Leonard

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Sugar Shane Mosley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LOL! Merce77. Hell yeah! I remember Wide World of Sports! Used to be fight on the regular. The business and greed ruined the sport. Now we get a decent fight ever 8 months to a year. Then they want 60$ to watch 4 whack prefights, then an average title fight. Dudes ducking and dodging fighters. Not like it used to be.

merce77

Star
Registered
LOL! Merce77. Hell yeah! I remember Wide World of Sports! Used to be fight on the regular. The business and greed ruined the sport. Now we get a decent fight ever 8 months to a year. Then they want 60$ to watch 4 whack prefights, then an average title fight. Dudes ducking and dodging fighters. Not like it used to be.

The sport is in a sad state but it's funny, we've still been getting some good fights though. People can say what they want about Don King but when he was running shit his cards were packed with damm good fights.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Boxing fans....check this out....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsPzbduQyWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsPzbduQyWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

tp2001

Star
Registered
Yo it's about to be official...The Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. fight would be in the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday, March 13th 2010 with the announcement coming within the next few days...

Whether I am in the arena or not, I am going. No ifs ands or buts about it...

tp2001

Star
Registered
Just a reminder that hbo.com has the webcast of the Best of 2009 fights that you can watch...

Use Orbit Downloader or a firefox plugin to save the videos.

tp2001

Star
Registered
...this better not be in Vegas...Or else Pacquiao and (Cock)Roach are in big trouble...

Pacquiao camp shifts focus to Clottey

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao's camp said Friday.

Clottey's manager told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael that he spoke to Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, on Friday about the fight's details but would only confirm a "seven-figure" purse.

"Josh is ecstatic about it," Vinny Scolpino told ESPN.com. "I think we can get this done in a couple of days. He's coming home [to New York from Ghana] on Monday."

The Pacquiao-Mayweather bout, which had also been tentatively set for March 13, was called off Wednesday night by Arum after mediation failed to resolve their issues over drug-testing protocol.

Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs) last fought in a split decision loss to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on June 13, a fight many believed Clottey won.

"It's the biggest payday he ever made in his life," Scolpino told ESPN.com. "He should be doing flips. It's a huge opportunity."

Trainer Freddie Roach first told ESPN's Brian Kenny of Pacquiao's plan Friday afternoon, before Arum confirmed the news to The Associated Press.

Clottey had last been slated to fight Carlos Quintana on Dec. 5. But that undercard bout was called off when Kelly Pavlik pulled out of the main event against Paul Williams with a lingering hand injury.

Mayweather maintained Thursday night that he still wanted to fight Pacquiao. The final issue in the negotiation for the megafight was drug testing.

"That would have been a tremendous fight. I wanted to see it," Scolpino said. "But this is boxing. It's crazy."

Pacquiao and Mayweather had agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather also insisted on random blood testing, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, requires only urine testing.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want blood testing but later relented and agreed to three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week, one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would be subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather, turned to a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who had successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy in 2007.

But after nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., and further attempts to come to a resolution on Wednesday failed, the fight was pronounced dead by the Pacquiao camp.

Information from ESPN.com boxing writer Dan Rafael was used in this report.

ThreeStacks

Star
BGOL Investor
Haven't posted in a while, too disgusted with this sport right now. Floyd's a fucking coward and Manny's a juicer. Number one and number two right now, and people ask why boxing is in the state it is.

:smh: they fcking up the sport :smh: 010 was supposed to be that year in boxing

merce77

Star
Registered
:smh:

Morales will return against Alfaro

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

NEW YORK -- Former three-division champion Erik Morales will end a 2½ year-retirement and return to the ring in March, Mexican promoter Nacho Huizar told ESPN.com on Sunday.

Morales is scheduled to face former lightweight titleholder Jose Alfaro in a welterweight bout March 27 in Monterrey, Mexico, Huizar said.

"I think he'll sell pretty good, but not like he did last time," Huizar said, referring to Morales' onetime position as a significant pay-per-view attraction.

Morales (48-6, 34 KOs) is a former junior featherweight, featherweight and junior lightweight champion and one of the best fighters in Mexican history. He challenged for a lightweight belt in his last fight, but lost a decision to David Diaz in August 2007 before retiring.

There was a steady stream of talk of a possible comeback since then, but nothing ever materialized until now.

Huizar said it was Morales who called him and asked him to promote the fight in conjunction with his own company.

"After I heard he was going to come back, he called me and begged me to be his partner," Huizar said. "It's an honor to me for him to pick me. If I don't do it, somebody else will."

Morales-Alfaro will be televised in the United States via Integrated Sports pay-per-view.

Huizar said they signed a six-fight deal for three fights this year and three in 2011. Huizar acknowledged that six more fights for Morales, 33, is a reach at this stage.

"We'll see what happens," said Huizar, who said he promoted Morales' first five pro fights before Morales went on to become a major star under the guidance of co-promoters Top Rank and Fernando Beltran's Zanfer Promotions.

Even before the loss to Diaz, Morales was a shell of the great fighter who had been in three all-time slugfests with rival Marco Antonio Barrera and several other memorable battles.

Morales lost four fights in a row and five of his last six, including two knockout losses to Manny Pacquiao. The one victory Morales notched during his late-career slide came against Pacquiao in the first fight of their trilogy. Their March 2005 fight was the last time Pacquiao lost.

Immediately after losing a competitive fight to Diaz, Morales announced his retirement.

"That's it," Morales said at the time. "No more fighting. I am done. Too many punches, particularly to the head area."

Jose Morales, Erik's father who raised him in a Tijuana apartment above a boxing gym, supported his son's decision to retire, saying after the fight with Diaz, "Erik has taken too many punches. It has to stop."

Jose Alfaro (23-5, 20 KOs), 26, of Nicaragua, held a lightweight belt for five months in 2008. His last fight was an interim lightweight title bout in October where Antonio DeMarco stopped him in the 10th round.

merce77

Star
Registered
Green takes Taylor's spot in Super Six

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Super middleweight Allan Green will replace Jermain Taylor in Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament, promoter Lou DiBella said.

Green had been preparing for a Feb. 5 fight against Sakio Bika, a former winner of "The Contender" reality show, which was supposed to be a box-off to determine who would replace Taylor, who withdrew from the tournament Jan. 12.

Green had accepted the fight, but it was never finalized after Bika, for undisclosed reasons, elected not to go through with it.

That paved the way for Green (29-1, 20 KOs), 30, to go directly into Group Stage 2 of the modified round-robin tournament that includes five other top super middleweights: titlists Andre Ward and Carl Froch, as well as former titleholder Mikkel Kessler, former middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham and 2004 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist Andre Dirrell.

Green's first fight will be the one Taylor was scheduled for, a title shot against Ward (21-0, 13 KOs) on April 17, probably in Ward's hometown of Oakland, where he upset Kessler in the opening round of the tournament in November.

"It's a great opportunity for him to be in the Super Six," DiBella said. "He was ready and willing and able to do the fight with Bika. It didn't happen, and I think there are actually a lot of people breathing a sigh of relief -- Showtime and Ward's people -- because the turnaround from Feb. 5 to April 17 was very quick considering the nature of how Allan and Bika fight. The chances of them coming out of the fight without a scratch was unlikely, which would have messed up the April schedule."

Taylor, the former undisputed middleweight champion, withdrew after losing for the fourth time in his last five fights, including three by crushing knockout. In the opening round of the Super Six, Abraham knocked him out cold with six seconds left in the 12th round on Oct. 17 in Germany. Taylor was briefly hospitalized with a severe concussion and short-term memory loss.

Since then, there was heavy pressure from his family and handlers to withdraw from the tournament, including from DiBella, who resigned as his promoter over concerns for his health a few weeks before Taylor made his decision.

"It wasn't like it was planned for Allan to take over for Jermain," DiBella said. "Had we not had the tournament available for us, we were in consideration to fight [titleholder] Lucian Bute [in April]. Allan would have had other opportunities. That said, I think Allan is the right guy for the spot.

"An American had dropped out and Allan was the best American 168-pounder that wasn't already in the tournament."

Green's greatest asset is his punching power.

"He has the Mighty Thor tattooed on his arm because he's a big puncher and carries the hammer of Thor," DiBella said. "He's a big puncher and that's his great equalizer. Ward is a tremendously talented boxer but if you get hit flush by Green, you're going to have problems, and I think that will be a real issue for Andre. That will make it an interesting fight."

Win or lose, Green would move on Group Stage 3 and face Kessler later in the year. However, Green, of Tulsa, Okla., enters the tournament at a disadvantage because he takes over Taylor's point total, which is zero.

Fighters earn two points for a win, a third point if they win by knockout, one point for a draw and no points for a loss. The fighters with the top four point totals after three fights will advance to the semifinals.

"He has a disadvantage, but he has that great ability to get the three points in any fight as well as anyone in the tournament outside of Abraham," DiBella said. "He was prepared to fight his way into the tournament by fighting Bika and the cancellation of that fight gave him the opportunity to walk in. Now it's up to him to take advantage of that opportunity."

merce77

Star
Registered
Five Reasons Shane Mosley Can Beat Floyd Mayweather
By BEN COHEN (The Huffington Post)

The upcoming bout between Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather will be one of the most important fights in the sports history. Both boxer’s names carry such weight it promises to be an epic event and a PPV bonanza. Mosley and Mayweather are regarded as two of the best fighters in the past 10 years and are bonafide future hall of famers.

The fight has been several years in the making with both men claiming the other avoided them, and now they are set to fight, the boxing world is abuzz.

Mayweather will enter as favorite, simply because he has never lost and has rarely been challenged in the ring. But no one with any knowledge of boxing is counting Mosley out. The Sugar Man is an extremely dangerous boxer-puncher with an extraordinary desire to win and matchable attributes to Mayweather.

I’ll be doing numerous previews of the upcoming bout, hopefully including some interviews with the fighters (a notoriously difficult thing to do when they are preparing for a mega event like this), and to kick it off, I thought I’d list off some reasons why the underdog has a very, very legitimate chance of beating the self proclaimed pound for pound best in the sport:

1. If you look at the names on Mayweather’s record, none of them would have been favored over Mosley. Mayweather decisioned fighters like Carlos Baldomir, Diego Corrales, Zab Judah and Juan Manuel Marquez. Mosley would have decapitated all of the above with relative ease.

2. Floyd Mayweather has never fought anyone who hits as hard as Shane Mosley. While Oscar DeLaHoya’s left hook is comparable to any shot Mosley throws, the Sugar Man’s arsenal is far more varied and dynamic than the Golden Boy’s. Mosley throws every shot with knockout power and can hurt Mayweather badly if he catches him. As Mosley’s trainer Nazim Richardson stated, “Mosley can KO anything that weighs 147lb, including pacquaio, mayweather, and even farm animals.”

3. Mosley is just as fast as Mayweather. While Mayweather is sneakier with his shots and probably has better timing, Mosley can deliver rapid fire punches with incredible accuracy. When fighting slick southpaw Louis Collazo, Mosley out crafted the slippery New Yorker from the outside with pin point punching and blazing hand speed.

4. While Mayweather always enters the ring in incredible shape, his punch output at 147lbs has dropped dramatically. Mayweather no longer punches in combination and is content to pot shot from the outside. This will not work against a fighter as busy as Shane. Mosley is a non stop punching machine who fights every minute of every round. While Mayweather may be able to out slick Mosley for parts of the bout, he will be forced at some point to fighting with the marauding Californian. And when he does, Shane will not let him off the hook easily.

5. This is Mayweather’s first real challenge at welterweight. While Zab Judah, Sharmba Mitchell and Carlos Baldomir were pretty good, none come close to Shane Mosley. At 147, Mosley has fought and beat the very best with the exception of Vernon Forrest (a very, very underrated fighter who would have also given Mayweather serious problems) and a prime Miguel Cotto (and many people believe Mosley won that fight). Mayweather is untested at the weight, and for his first serious bout at welterweight, Mosley is a very tall order.

I'm still wrestling with my prediction but I'm leaning toward Jr. to outpoint Shane.

merce77

Star
Registered
Manny Steward on working with Miguel Cotto( from Fighthouse):

FH: So as you're in Tampa, now, training Miguel Cotto, what's your assessment of him right now after his past few fights?

Steward: I've always been a big fan of Miguel Cotto, but I've noticed and realized that in his past four or five fights, even the ones that he's won with Zab Judah and Joshua Clottey, and, naturally, against Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao, that he has taken a lot of punishment.

He's a very good fighter, but like Tommy Hearns and Shane Mosley, he hasn't dodged anybody. He's fought everybody at 140, and, 147 and he's left a lot of blood on the floor. But he's fought everybody, and that's earned a lot of respect for me. Now, with this fight with Yuri Foreman, it's going to take some serious work.

It's going to be a challenge for me to see if we can resurrect this guy at this stage in my life, because he's fighting a guy who is the naturally bigger guy. He's fighting a guy whose style is very, very difficult for anyone to fight. It's a challenge like it was for me with Evander Holyfield for the second fight with Bowe, and for Oliver McCall to beat Lennox Lewis.

I just find it very challenging situation.

FH: Are there any whole sale changes that you are making?

Steward: Major, major changes. All of his basics were all screwed up. I've watched him go from being a pretty good little boxer-puncher earlier in his career to just being a squatting down guy with his hands way apart. All of his basics are all screwed up now. It's a very difficult assignment, but I find it challenging.

I have to see what I can do in the few weeks that I have. But the one thing is I'm not teaching him things that he's never done. At one time in his career, he was very good. It's about taking this guy back to being what he was and he's forgot. It's like getting Evander to beat Riddick Bowe the second fight.

I was reminding him about what he was like as an amateur when he used to have foot movement, and then, he turned into a strictly aggressive fighter. And that's why Riddick Bowe just distroyed him that first fight. The second fight, I made him go back to his amateur days -- changing direction, punching. That's how he won the title back.

The third fight, when I wasn't with him, he went back to his old way just trying to walk in and just exchange with Bowe. But Miguel used to be a beautiful little boxer who was beating all of our American guys. He would get on his toes, and he could box and he could box.

And then, some kind of way, he became this squatting down, peek-a-boo defense, coming forward little guy. And he couldn't be effective that way anymore. What we're working on is his basic stuff.

Bxlegend

Rising Star
OG Investor
Great thread! Only a BX head could come up wit some shit like this! Damn I need to go to this forum more often!

merce77

Star
Registered
:dance: thanks...

And why do I keep forgetting that when Cotto has a fight, he trains in my area :angry: fuck

His open sessions finished already?:confused: Surely you haven't missed him yet, his fight's next month. What you think tp, can Steward work any magic on Cotto or should he stick a fork in Miguel?

tp2001

Star
Registered
His open sessions finished already?:confused: Surely you haven't missed him yet, his fight's next month. What you think tp, can Steward work any magic on Cotto or should he stick a fork in Miguel?

I don't know if I have missed any open sessions or not, but every time he has a fight coming up, I find out where he trains usually after it is done around here...

As far as Steward's luck, I am unsure about it...While I may know little about Yuri Foreman, his great record won't make for good success over Cotto...what the main concern is if Miguel can withstand going 12 rounds without tiring out significantly...that has happened since the Mosley fight...

If Cotto can't do much with Yuri in this bout, then there isn't much that Steward can do...personally I think Cotto has taken too much punishment over the past few fights to become a top fighter in the ranks...

merce77

Star
Registered
I don't know if I have missed any open sessions or not, but every time he has a fight coming up, I find out where he trains usually after it is done around here...

As far as Steward's luck, I am unsure about it...While I may know little about Yuri Foreman, his great record won't make for good success over Cotto...what the main concern is if Miguel can withstand going 12 rounds without tiring out significantly...that has happened since the Mosley fight...

If Cotto can't do much with Yuri in this bout, then there isn't much that Steward can do...personally I think Cotto has taken too much punishment over the past few fights to become a top fighter in the ranks...

Then you feel the same way I do, but if Barrera who started as a brawler could ressurect his career and come back as a boxer after taking two beatings in a row from Junior Jones, maybe Cotto could do the same now that he has a top trainer. I'm doubtful it will, but it could happen.
BTW what a fucking masterful performance Floyd Jr. gave on Saturday, that shit was insane. He'll crush Pacquiao.

merce77

Star
Registered
Yo boxing fans, we missed a good fight on Friday only televised in Japan, two of the worlds best Bantamweights. Fernando Montiel vs Hozumi Hasegawa. I'm a fan of both fighters, this was a high action fight and I won't spoil it but somebody gets KTFO!!!

Fernando Montiel vs Hozumi Hasegawa
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H8OJYHJ3

tp2001

Star
Registered
Then you feel the same way I do, but if Barrera who started as a brawler could ressurect his career and come back as a boxer after taking two beatings in a row from Junior Jones, maybe Cotto could do the same now that he has a top trainer. I'm doubtful it will, but it could happen.

BTW what a fucking masterful performance Floyd Jr. gave on Saturday, that shit was insane. He'll crush Pacquiao.

The thing with Barrera was that even though he had the trouble with Jones, he was able to adjust and make himself a boxer...Even then, it wasn't until he made Hamed into a ballet dancer that he got back in the big fight scene consistently (after Morales I). After this fight Cotto has, we would have to see who else would be in line for him to fight with significance...

That fight last Saturday proved that Mayweather is on a league of his own...For the first time that I know, he got chin-checked (and I do mean that for certain) and was able to adjust and be the more aggressive :eek: fighter in his matchup with Mosley. There is no way that the fight with Pac happens...Roach and Arum do NOT want to have their biggest cash cow get destroyed, and that is exactly what happens if the fight is made...

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Merce can you link me with some recent fights...

Dirrell Vs. Abraham
Froch Vs. Kessler

thanks brotha...