merce77's Classic Boxing Thread, tape them hands up before you enter!!!!

Which of the 3 Sugars would've beaten Mayweather?

• Sugar Ray Robinson

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Sugar Ray Leonard

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Sugar Shane Mosley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

merce77

Star
Registered
Boxing promoter DiBella firmly in Dana White's corner.

box_a_mayweather1x_576.jpg

Lou DiBella feels defensive-minded boxers are doing more damage to the sport than the UFC.

While Bob Arum takes issue with the way Dana White does business, not every boxing promoter disagrees with the UFC president’s decision-making policies.

Shortly after UFC announced that it had inked a major network television deal, Arum made his opinion about the mixed martial arts promotion known to ESPN.com. And it wasn’t very favorable.

The signing of a network deal wasn’t what got Arum’s juices flowing, but that UFC is televising a card on Nov. 12. That’s the same night Arum has WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao defending his title against Juan Manuel Marquez on HBO pay-per-view.

“There is no competition,” Arum told ESPN.com. “If Fox was to put on a top movie that night, it might be more competition. If Fox put on Manchester United that night, it would be more competition.”

Tweet, tweet

Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

It made no difference to Arum that the UFC card will end before Pacquiao and Marquez enter the ring.

Upon learning of Arum’s comments White responded immediately and harshly.

“Bob Arum had the ability to do great things for the sport of boxing,” White told Yahoo! Sports. “You had the ability, Bob Arum, to make boxing great.

“But the problem was you were greedy. You’re a greedy pig, just like all the other guys who were involved in boxing. All you ever did was try to rip money out of it. You never invested a dime into the sport of boxing to make it great, to make it last, to create a future for boxing. He’s nothing but a greedy pig and his jealousy shows non-stop.”

White and Arum have had verbal sparring sessions for some time. Usually, each man could count on getting strong support from individuals in his respective sport, but not anymore.

Boxing promoter Lou DiBella is solidly in White’s corner this time. A former boxing executive at HBO, DiBella knows the sport inside and out, and no one is more upset with the state of boxing than he is.

“I agree with a lot of what [Dana White] said,” DiBella told ESPN.com. “There’s no question that when Don [King] and Bob [Arum] dominated this business for literally generations, that not a lot was invested back in the business. Frankly, Bob Arum admitted as much at his Hall of Fame induction. And the sport is in worse condition today than it’s ever been.

“I don’t believe there is any intentional counter-programming by the UFC. What are they going to do, go against a World Series game that includes the Yankees?

“I’m not out there hating on [UFC]; I don’t think they’re trying to hurt boxing.”

The damage boxing currently experiences, for the most part, is self-inflicted, according to DiBella.

He says too many high-profile boxers are unwilling to stand in the pocket and fight. Their failure to engage is a huge turnoff for today’s young (18- to 34-year-old) fans, who crave nonstop action.

“If a guy fights in retreat, Dana’s not putting him on again,” DiBella said. “He has an advantage because [UFC] is a monopoly. But that aside, you have to know what people find entertaining. If you move backward, and I don’t care if a writer says he’s a good fighter, the public doesn’t want to see him.

“Boxing has lost sight of the fact that it’s a subset of the entertainment business. And Dana has not forgotten that.”

Like many longtime boxing insiders, DiBella once found it difficult to watch a mixed martial arts bout. Boxing is deeply embedded in his soul, and nothing will change that.

But he no longer looks at MMA with disdain. Like many boxing aficionados, DiBella now enjoys watching mixed martial artists display their skills, and he credits UFC with changing his opinion.

“I had not been a big fan of MMA,” DiBella said. “But I now understand it more as a sport, and respect how the UFC is conducting their business. I’m impressed.”

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
both sports can co exist...Arum is just a money grubbing old school cat....I'm not surprised by his negative remarks....

Boxing will never die...it will never fade away...as long as Boxing promotes itself well to their audience it will always be here....

they also need to promote more in the inner cities....I can count on my hand how many gyms I know here in NYC....they need to promote the sport more to the younger generations....so we can have future stars...

as for MMA I was big fan of Traditional Martial Arts before I discovered Boxing...so I have a deep love for both sports....

merce77

Star
Registered
both sports can co exist...Arum is just a money grubbing old school cat....I'm not surprised by his negative remarks....

Boxing will never die...it will never fade away
...as long as Boxing promotes itself well to their audience it will always be here....

they also need to promote more in the inner cities....I can count on my hand how many gyms I know here in NYC....they need to promote the sport more to the younger generations....so we can have future stars...

as for MMA I was big fan of Traditional Martial Arts before I discovered Boxing...so I have a deep love for both sports....

Agreed and nuff said.:yes:

merce77

Star
Registered

I've been saying Pacquiao is a sloppy ass boxer who can only look good against non-mobile, non-ring IQ having fighters. He's a good but very carefully matched fighter who isn't on the same level as the all timers they mention his name with.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

I've been saying Pacquiao is a sloppy ass boxer who can only look good against non-mobile, non-ring IQ having fighters. He's a good but very carefully matched fighter who isn't on the same level as the all timers they mention his name with.

yeah I commented on this on the main board...nice vid really shows how much more superior Floyd is at boxing....

Pac is good but I don't see dude beating Floyd....:smh:

merce77

Star
Registered
general-fitness-header.jpg

There are two things on the body that you are interested in, one is body fat and the other is lean muscle tissue. There are three things in food you are interested in protein, carbohydrates and fats. These are all measured in calories (a calorie is not a nutrient it is a measurement of energy, just like a kilo or kilogram). There are 4 calories in 1 gram of protein and 1g of carbohydrates and 9 calories in 1 gram of fat. Please do not drink any substance such as alcohol as it ruins training and all the hard work you put in.

Your body uses carbohydrates and fats mainly as energy and if you eat more calories in carbohydrates and fats than your metabolism uses then you will store it as body fat. Your body uses protein to repair and make muscles stronger. This means if you have metabolised the protein you have eaten it will go to the muscle.

Simply put eat too many carbs and fats it will end up as body fat if you eat enough protein it will repair and make the muscles stronger.

Most people especially boxers who want to lose weight on the scales do without food. First this slows your metabolism down as your body tries to keep its stored energy (body fat) because you are not eating and training hard your body wants to self preserve itself, plus your body ends up cannibalising body fat and muscle, so if you look in the mirror you look exactly the same as you did 20lbs heavier. In other words you have Photostatted your self smaller (less muscle) which is very important in a boxing fight, especially if the fight gets rough (pushing and shoving).

The best way to lose weight is to cut back on carbs and fats so your body cannibalises body fat only. Keep your protein normal so your body has no need to cannibalise muscle.

There are many reasons why a hard training boxer holds too much body fat.

He doesn’t eat a lot of calories over the entire day, but eats too many calories in one meal. In other words he gets up in the morning doesn’t eat waits 6-7 hours but when he eventually eats he eats too much in one meal (too many calories for his body to metabolise in one sitting).
Eats too many simple sugars. There are two types of carbohydrates, one complex (slow released) the other simple (fast release). These get converted to blood glucose. There energy value is the same (4 calories per gram) but as simple carbs gets released very quickly into the blood stream, which elevates your blood sugar levels and as your body does not like high blood sugar levels it releases a hormone called insulin. Insulin’s job is to take that sugar out of the blood but as sugar is energy the body will not waste it so it converts it to body fat for future use.
The only carbs you should eat are unprocessed (complex) which is Potato, pasta, whole grains, rice, porridge oats. You can get away with some cereals such as weetabix, shredded wheat musili. All these carbs will be slow released maintaining blood sugar levels. Another good way of slowing carbs down is to eat lots of green veg as this is high in fibre.

Remember eat little and often. I am not saying eat 5 Sunday dinners a day, what I am saying is your total calories (carbs, fats and proteins) should be split up in to 5-6 sittings.

Here is a suggested diet for a boxer. We will not tell you how much to eat as you work load and your metabolism could vary.

Meal 1. cup of porridge oats with a small amount of honey made with water. 3 egg whites with one yellow. If you feel you need more protein you could have a 1 scoop of Pro Peptide (22g protein)
Meal 2. Chicken breast, average sized potato (baked or boiled) with green veg.
Meal 3. Tuna in brine or Chicken salad sandwich made with granary/wholemeal bread.
Meal 4. Chicken or tuna or white fish with a cup of rice with green veg.
Meal 5. As meal 1, 2, 3 or 4.
If you require more than 30g of protein per meal, a chicken breast and a tin of tuna provide approx 30g protein. I suggest you have one scoop of Pro Peptide (protein powder) which is approx 20g with each meal to bring your total protein to 50g per meal.How much to eat is the biggest question I get asked and the simplest way to find out is to weigh yourself once a week on the same scales at the same time. If your weight (on the scales) stays the same then you are on maintenance calories and if you want to lose weight cut back on the carbs (less energy).

Training

You cannot reinvent the wheel, the only way to make yourself stronger is to lift weights. The old myths in boxing that weights make you slow are not true. When the muscle is stronger, when it contacts it will make you punch faster and stronger. Plus this strength will help you in close. If you need any proof of this just ask Billy Graham or any of the boxers I work with.

You need to split your weight training up and must never forget this is to supplement your boxing training and you need to get your weights done in about 20 minutes.

Monday – Quads (front thighs)& calves
3 x 10 leg extensions
3 x 10 leg press

3 x 10 standing calf raises
2 x 10 seated calf raises

Tuesday – Chest & biceps
3x 10 flying
3 x 10 bench press
2 x 10 incline bench press

3 x 10 standing barbell curls

Thursday – Back & hamstrings
3 x 10 close grip pull downs to the front
3 x 10 pull downs behind the neck
3 x 10 Rowing (cable or dumbbells)
1 x 10 dumbbell shrugs

3 x 10 lying hamstring curls
1 x 10 stiff leg deadlift

Friday – Shoulders & triceps
3 x 10 side lateral raises
3 x 10 shoulder press
3 x 10 rear delt

3 x 10 triceps pushdowns or presses

Always remember to warm up correctly and cool down.

Your body is 70% water the very nature of your training makes you sweat a lot. You need to drink at least 2-3 litres of water every day.

Do not think water will make you put weight on. The more you drink the more you wil urinate and sweat, getting rid of all the toxins in your body.​

tp2001

Star
Registered

I've been saying Pacquiao is a sloppy ass boxer who can only look good against non-mobile, non-ring IQ having fighters.

Man I hope that my boy Marquez can school him just one more time...The dude practically owned Manny w/o those knockdowns. It was like seeing Winky school Tito multiple times

merce77

Star
Registered
Man I hope that my boy Marquez can school him just one more time...The dude practically owned Manny w/o those knockdowns. It was like seeing Winky school Tito multiple times

The weight is the big question. Marquez has a lot of time to get into shape correctly. Hopefully we won't see a soft, slow Marquez in there. If he does get into proper shape and acclimates himself to the weight properly - we'll see a great fight.

tp2001

Star
Registered
The weight is the big question. Marquez has a lot of time to get into shape correctly. Hopefully we won't see a soft, slow Marquez in there. If he does get into proper shape and acclimates himself to the weight properly - we'll see a great fight.

I hope that will be the case...just depends on what his walking weight is before he usually goes into his training regimen. If he is walking around at about 140 to 142, then he could get to work to keep that weight but add some tone or muscle with that to add more power to his punches. I want Manny to eat an endless buffet of uppercut specials courtesy of Juan Marquez

merce77

Star
Registered
I hope that will be the case...just depends on what his walking weight is before he usually goes into his training regimen. If he is walking around at about 140 to 142, then he could get to work to keep that weight but add some tone or muscle with that to add more power to his punches. I want Manny to eat an endless buffet of uppercut specials courtesy of Juan Marquez

There's a very recent pic of him on the previous page, idk what he's weighing though.

dime bag

Rising Star
Registered

i BEEN saying this. "b b b but manny is a much diffrent fighter now" :hmm: fuck outta here

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
I was with Dibella did he said that dumb shit about the top boxers need to stop being so defensive...WTF ....Boxing boomed in the 90's with great defensive boxers like Sweet Pea etc.. I can't believe Dibella said something that dumb.

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
Merce you got that Mosley/Margarito with the HBO commentary? I only got the Top Rank presentation.

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
Do you have these just laying around? Cause I google fights before I ask and I don't see them. Most of them come up torrent files like Mayweather Corrales.

merce77

Star
Registered
Do you have these just laying around? Cause I google fights before I ask and I don't see them. Most of them come up torrent files like Mayweather Corrales.

Most boxing matches are uploaded to Megaupload. So when you look for the fight, add megaupload to the search.

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
Most boxing matches are uploaded to Megaupload. So when you look for the fight, add megaupload to the search.

Cool thanks... Man I just watched that NDou Floyd fight...watch round 5, they called that a round of the year nominee. How can it be round of the year when one dude is just beating the shit out of the other dude?:lol:

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
I know you probably know but I just found this spot worldboxingarchive.com and they have damn near every fight from popular fighters.

Firefox

Support BGOL
Registered
I was with Dibella did he said that dumb shit about the top boxers need to stop being so defensive...WTF ....Boxing boomed in the 90's with great defensive boxers like Sweet Pea etc.. I can't believe Dibella said something that dumb.

:yes::yes:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
merce77, man my man Erik did it again. I swear he is my favorite fighter right now. He just goes in there and does his thing. No flash, bullshit, or any 24/7 crap. He just comes to fight. I swear I hope Timmy is next.

merce77

Star
Registered
merce77, man my man Erik did it again. I swear he is my favorite fighter right now. He just goes in there and does his thing. No flash, bullshit, or any 24/7 crap. He just comes to fight. I swear I hope Timmy is next.

He's like an aging car, you might have to warm it up a lil while longer than you used to, but once it gets going...:yes:

LMAO @ Ortiz. I'm still laughing at his ass days later.

Hence, the sig.

merce77

Star
Registered
Alfredo-Angulo-Mexicali-300x182.jpg
kirkland45455.jpg

An HBO-televised junior middleweight clash of hard-hitting fighters Alfredo Angulo and southpaw James Kirkland is likely for Nov. 5 in Cancun, Mex., Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told RingTV.com.

The 29-year-old Angulo (20-1, 17 KOs) and the 27-year-old Kirkland (29-1, 26 KOs) are each handled by Golden Boy Promotions.

"Kirkland-Angulo, it looks good. We have made our offers to the fight camps and we're waiting to hear back, but based on the conversations, it looks like the fight is done," said Schaefer.

"We are currently working on the opening bout. It would be a double-header, and we're working on two or three different scenarios."

This will be a BRAWL for however long it lasts. I got Angulo by KO.