Looks Like Louisiana is going to stay a Slave State

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Atlanta definitely wants it.
I think when it went to Htown, folks had horrible reviews…

I’d be surprised if Da Boot wouldn’t present a sweet heart deal to keep it.

Is the risk of moving it to another location, even a thing?

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I think when it went to Htown, folks had horrible reviews…

I’d be surprised if Da Boot wouldn’t present a sweet heart deal to keep it.

Is the risk of moving it to another location, even a thing?

Houston got poor reviews for both Essence and Bayou Classic.

I'm not sure if there is a risk, now but every few years the risk comes up.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
They won’t say anything unless it is affecting who can use what restrooms with women and children.

We actually took the the NBA All-Star Game off of Yall because of the bathroom issue

But was a different administration, John Bel Edwards was a conservative democrat (although at times he seemed solidly in the center). Landry is far right and is actively trying to be Cajun DeSantis at this point. (see the nation anthem issue)

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Houston got poor reviews for both Essence and Bayou Classic.

I'm not sure if there is a risk, now but every few years the risk comes up.
I was thinking Bayou Classic but said Essence.

Man I remember folks who never missed a classic in 20 years, saying they would never go to another classic if it’s in Htown.

Them folks were so glad to get back to the City…

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
We actually took the the NBA All-Star Game off of Yall because of the bathroom issue

But was a different administration, John Bel Edwards was a conservative democrat (although at times he seemed solidly in the center). Landry is far right and is actively trying to be Cajun DeSantis at this point. (see the nation anthem issue)
Cajun DeSantis, you‘re spot on with that

uptown93

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was thinking Bayou Classic but said Essence.

Man I remember folks who never missed a classic in 20 years, saying they would never go to another classic if it’s in Htown.

Them folks were so glad to get back to the City…
People are used to the constant party and being able to walk just about everywhere. The Bayou Classic being anywhere but the N.O. is a no go.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
People are used to the constant party and being able to walk just about everywhere. The Bayou Classic being anywhere but the N.O. is a no go.
You don’t think ATL can pull it off…

Seem like they have the facilities that can make for a pleasant event

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor

Randal Gaines ousted Katie Bernhardt Saturday to become chair of the beleaguered Louisiana Democratic Party.

Gaines was selected as the new chair after a confusing set of procedural moves at a meeting in Baton Rouge ended with him as the only candidate to be nominated for the position.
A motion to reopen the nominations to include Bernhardt was decisively rejected, leaving Gaines as the only candidate.

“It is critical that we use this unifying, watershed moment to rebuild, refocus, and recruit the leaders of tomorrow to address the concerns that are top of mind for residents in every corner of our state,
” Gaines, a former state representative, said in a statement afterward.
In an interview, Bernhardt expressed no ill will at Saturday’s result.

“He should have the support of everyone in the Democratic Party,” Bernhardt said of Gaines. “There are elections in November, and we need to keep our eye on electing Democrats and not fighting each other.”

Bernhardt, who been chair for the past four years, has been under sharp criticism since last fall’s elections, when Jeff Landry was elected governor in the primary and Republicans won a super-majority in both the House and the Senate. Republicans now hold all statewide offices and 73-32 advantage in the House and a 28-11 majority in the Senate.

To be sure, the Louisiana Democratic Party’s fortunes have steadily worsened over several decades as part of a realignment throughout the Deep South that has put Republicans in control everywhere. But Democrats in Louisiana have not held so few seats in more than 100 years.

The Democrats’ best hope in the short term is a federal court ruling that the House and Senate maps adopted by the Legislature during a special session on redistricting in 2022 violate the Voting Rights Act. Tossing out those maps could give Democrats extra seats in both chambers.
Going into Saturday’s election for the chair by members of the Democratic State Central Committee, Bernhardt had the support of U.S. Rep. Troy Carter of New Orleans but faced a slate of newly elected members who wanted her out. Gaines and Bogalusa Mayor Tyrin Truong declared their candidacy against her.

The anti-Bernhardt group swung behind Gaines, who was termed out of the House after last year following a 12-year stint representing LaPlace. Gaines, 68, had become known to party activists by spending the past four years as one of the party’s two liaisons with the Democratic National Committee.

In recent days, Gaines faced questions of whether he filed his state taxes in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Gaines, a trial attorney, said he had filed them on Friday, saying he had been trying to settle a dispute related to the coronavirus pandemic.

In an interview, Gaines said he has done well enough professionally that he can afford to devote extensive time to his new position.
“We’re coming from behind,” he said. “We have to excel in all categories: fundraising, messaging, candidate profiling, training, voter engagement and recruiting volunteers.”

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rich white folks want out of Baton Rouge

The Baton Rouge NAACP released a statement in response to the St. George:

As representatives of the Baton Rouge Chapter of the NAACP, we are deeply committed to safeguarding the well-being, education, and economic security of Black people and all persons of color in our city. It is with this commitment in mind that we address you today regarding the recent Louisiana Supreme Court decision supporting the incorporation of the proposed city of St. George and the Louisiana Legislature’s proposal of House Bill 6.

The St. George plan poses significant risks to our education system, threatens the continuity of critical programs, and challenges community representation. The creation of a new municipality introduces considerable uncertainty around funding allocation for our schools, jeopardizing the cornerstone of our community's future: education. We urge the court to ensure that current funding levels are maintained, if not increased, to support our schools during this transition period. We emphasize the importance of community involvement in decisions that impact our children's education. The incorporation of St. George should not diminish transparency or reduce community input.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I kinda remember this, what was the cons against it again?

Primarily cost was an issue and the need to set up a government, Fire/Police departments. Also, the fact that New Orleans East is quite vulnerable to flooding and hurricanes and the area is quite sprawling.

Also, there seemed to be some in-fighting and some of the people who would figure to be major players, people had mixed opinions on them. Also the city of New Orleans probably was going to fight hard against losing nearly 75,000 people and nearly 70% of it's land.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Primarily cost was an issue and the need to set up a government, Fire/Police departments. Also, the fact that New Orleans East is quite vulnerable to flooding and hurricanes and the area is quite sprawling.

Also, there seemed to be some in-fighting and some of the people who would figure to be major players, people had mixed opinions on them. Also the city of New Orleans probably was going to fight hard against losing nearly 75,000 people and nearly 70% of it's land.
Ok I remember the cost part…

I mean it makes sense…

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Ok I remember the cost part…

I mean it makes sense…

They were trying to use Miami Gardens as an example but it wasn't really working out.

They said New Orleans East would be roughly the size of Lake Charles, the population is either around 75K at the low end and may be as high as 90K at the high end.

Plus I'm sure the state would have pushed back because that would have been another large, democrat voting predominantly Black city in the state.