LeVar Burton wants Jeopardy producers to know he's the best person to host - SIGN THE PETITION! UPDATE: LeVar says 'the fix was in'

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

'Jeopardy!' clue: The person who eventually gets the beloved position on television she/he should have had all along
Opinion by Peniel E. Joseph

Updated 1:38 PM ET, Wed September 1, 2021

Peniel E. Joseph is the Barbara Jordan Chair in ethics and political values and the founding director of the Center for the Study of Race and Democracy at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin, where he is also a professor of history. He is the author of "Stokely: A Life" and "The Sword and the Shield: The Revolutionary Lives of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr." The views expressed here are his own. View more opinion articles on CNN.

(CNN)Mike Richards's ouster as executive producer of two popular game shows -- "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" came Tuesday after weeks of turmoil. Despite appearing to some as closure, his fate also reveals the enduring challenges that persist in combating systemic inequality in corporate America.

Richards' dismissal comes after he stepped aside as "Jeopardy!" host, following an outcry over offensive comments -- made on an old podcast and resurfaced by "The Ringer" -- mocking Haiti, women and Jews (among other derogatory remarks).

"Jeopardy!" producer Sony declined to comment to "The Ringer," and Richards said in a statement to them: "It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness, and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago. Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry."

When Richards was initially announced as the host who would permanently replace Alex Trebek, who passed away in November 2020 after a battle with cancer, the news immediately raised eyebrows -- even before the controversy over his behavior erupted.

That's largely because Richards oversaw key aspects of the nine-month search for a permanent host after Trebek's death. It's also because the extensive search featured a series of guest hosts, with fan favorites including LeVar Burton, whose potential presence promised to diversify the longstanding game show.

When Richards himself was named, fans immediately grumbled about a rigged process, expressing disappointment only partially ameliorated by the announcement that former "Blossom" star Mayim Bialik would host a series of primetime "Jeopardy!" specials.
This reporter upended 'Jeopardy!' and unseated Mike Richards

This reporter upended 'Jeopardy!' and unseated Mike Richards 03:11

Yet many fans (myself included) wondered why Burton, former star of "Roots," "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and beloved children's show "Reading Rainbow" -- the closest thing America has to a Black Mr. Rogers -- was not named the permanent host, even after a very visible campaign of public support for him unfolded on social media.

The image of Burton as "Jeopardy!" host is a deliciously subversive one. A Black host of a game that appeals to intelligence, curiosity, a love of books and learning would visibly refute stereotypes about Blackness and intellect that that have remained stubbornly powerful in American society.
At first, Sony refused to dismiss Richards after his offensive comments surfaced. In the wake of last year's racial justice protests, Sony expressed public support for the Black Lives Matter Movement, but faced subsequent charges of workplace discrimination even as they tried to advocate for racial equity. A Sony spokesperson told CNN the company does not comment on confidential personnel matters, but that diversity, equity and inclusion are "core" to the company.

It's time for fans to demand the 'Jeopardy!' host we deserve
It's time for fans to demand the 'Jeopardy!' host we deserve

Beyond the specific details of one potential host's behavior or another employee's allegations of racism lies a bigger picture. What is sadder than the absurdity of these events is the way in which they reveal dimensions of how global corporations remain in a tragic feedback loop of prizing the familiar over the potentially new and innovative.

How many second chances do White men such as Richards receive in the world of business before a White woman like Bialik or a Black man such as Burton get one that doesn't feel like it has an asterisk attached?

Of course, some will blame Richards' departure as both host and now executive producer on the rising tide of "cancel culture" organized by a "woke mob" of the politically intolerant left who will come for all of us one day. The truth is more complicated.

Richards's offensive podcast comments formed part of a pattern of alleged workplace misconduct that Sony executives should have found disqualifying before he was publicly named host.

Revelations also came to light about allegations of sexual discrimination on "The Price is Right," where Richards had previously been an executive. A lawsuit which was filed by a model on the game show in 2010 was settled in 2016. Richards addressed it thus: "These were allegations made in employment disputes against the show....The way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am..."

The extent of the willingness to keep defending and promoting Richards until the bad publicity became too much should spark serious questions -- of those to whom Richards reported, and of the rest of us as well.

Last year's racial and political reckoning proved to be a watershed moment in American history. Corporate America, from the NFL to Fortune 500 and Silicon Valley venture capitalists, promised to do better -- pledging close to $50 billion toward the pursuit of racial justice and equity within their own companies and the broader society.

Companies spread messages in support of Black Lives Matter, organized anti-racism training and made Juneteenth a paid holiday. Their vows to confront systemic racism wherever and whenever it was found (meaning, as we know, everywhere) seemed to augur a new day for the American workplace. Most of that pledged money, according to The Washington Post, is in the form of loans and investments that will reap profits for these companies. Only $70 million has gone to organizations that directly focus on racial justice.

The devil is really, always, in the details.

A great many corporations said all of the right things last year, some under great pressure and because it seemed good for business. Unsurprisingly, 2021 has seen, in many situations, a return to the status quo. The normalization of the kind of casual workplace inequity that allowed Mike Richards to become executive producer of the national treasure that is "Jeopardy!" is less an aberration than a reflection of what this status quo, when it goes uninterrogated, can often yield.

This hesitation to do the work, to mind the details underneath the sweeping statements of support, is too often exactly who we are as a nation, even if at times last year, we vehemently denied it. Burton would be the perfect rejoinder to anodyne diversity statements that go unmatched by deeds. Like the late Trebek did, Burton forges an uncanny, unspoken connection with diverse audiences who feel the sense of community his warmly charismatic presence radiates across the screen.

As a longtime lover of "Jeopardy!" I can't help but hope this latest challenge also offers an opportunity -- not for something as vast as collective redemption for supporters of racial justice, but for something more like ripples of hope that bubble up, over time, into streams of steady progress.
What better result from all of this drama than if Burton -- one of the fan favorites during his guest stint --were to be named the permanent host. We could even make him a "Jeopardy!" answer to this clue: "The person who eventually gets the beloved position on television she/he should have had all along."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Jeopardy!’ Review: The Long, Painful Goodbye Of Mike Richards
By Greg Evans
Greg Evans
Associate Editor/Broadway Critic
@GregEvans5More Stories By Greg
September 13, 2021 5:06pm
22COMMENTS
Services to share this page.

Mike Richards, Aug. 2021Courtesy of Sony Pictures Television
Mike Richards’ head-spinning string of humiliations continued tonight with the first day of his last week as Jeopardy! host airing in syndication, all the proof needed that even without the recent resurfacing of sexist and crude past comments the blink-and-miss-him replacement for Alex Trebek never was destined for game show greatness.
A Central Casting caricature of the bland, charmless, Wonder Bread game show emcees of earlier eras, Richards was a lousy choice from the get-go. Jeopardy! producers had the opportunity to replace the late, beloved Trebek with a host that could expand the game show canvas in new and diverse ways. A string of celebrity fill-ins hinted that the producers were casting a fairly wide net, but in the end that proved little more than a publicity stunt. (Mayim Bialik will now serve as the show’s temporary host.)

Ketel One Family Made Vodka
Ketel One Vodka is carefully crafted using exclusively 100% non-GMO European wheat for smoothness and neutrality.
SPONSORED BY KETEL ONE
See more

RELATED STORY
'Jeopardy!' Champion James Holzhauer Slams Mike Richards After Former Host's Exit As EP

Instead, they chose one of their own: Richards, the show’s executive producer. If he seemed to offer little beside an insider’s advantage, vague good looks and semi-slick polish, at least there was always the possibility that he’d develop a personality befitting that honored spot on the newly christened Alex Trebek Stage at Sony Pictures Studios.
(In a brief pre-taped appearance that starts tonight’s episode, Trebek’s wife Jean and three children Matthew, Emily and Nicky are shown at the recent dedication and naming of the Alex Trebek Stage.)
Mike Richards Out As EP On ‘Jeopardy!’ & ‘Wheel Of Fortune’
Tonight’s episode — the first of five Richards taped on Aug. 19 as permanent host before the ax fell — provides little, if any, indication that viewers had anything in store other than a long wait for a glimpse at something approaching a screen presence. We can’t know for sure whether any bits of personality — ad libs, quips, asides — were edited out of tonight’s competition in order to reduce the host’s screen time (and the show’s embarrassment), but unless the next four evenings of Jeopardy! contain some major surprises, it’s safe to assume that Richards will fade fast from memory, his only shot at game immortality the possibility of landing on a Trivial Pursuit card.
So why show his five episodes at all? Simple: the contestants. They’d already taped their episodes and the results can’t just be erased, especially given the return tonight of 18-day champ Matt Amodio, whose winnings at the start of tonight’s contest total $574,801.

No spoilers here on whether he adds to the tally, but you can bet he and his challengers Gabbie Kim and Amde Mengistu have better nights all around than the man reading the answers.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

Disgraceful. Call it the "Obama Effect," these whiteys got that PTSD from seeing a Black president and now they'll literally kill themselves rather than acknowledge anything black except if we're put back in chains.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
It's like they're doing everything in their power to keep that Black man from hosting the show.
I find it interesting how Alex wanted a black woman to replace him and they haven't even looked in her direction.

Something racial discrimination is afoot.

Yep. I was just talking about that with someone.

And the fact that neither of those 2 hosts - bialik (hasid jew BTW) or jennings - has any personality whatsoever. What made Alex so good was he was very personable. And anyone whose seen Gordi on reading rainbow and all over the place knows how personable he is.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yep. I was just talking about that with someone.

And the fact that neither of those 2 hosts - bialik (hasid jew BTW) or jennings - has any personality whatsoever. What made Alex so good was he was very personable. And anyone whose seen Gordi on reading rainbow and all over the place knows how personable he is.

You talking way too much sense reason and logic bro.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
LeVar Burton says he no longer wants to be the new Jeopardy host

"I found out is that it wasn't the thing that I wanted after all."
By Ruth Kinane
September 17, 2021 at 10:42 AM EDT

On Thursday night's episode of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, actor LeVar Burton stopped by to chat with host Trevor Noah about his recent stint as a guest host on Jeopardy and explained why he isn't interested in doing the job longterm.
During the interview, Burton explained that it was during a a kickstarter that he realized there was a generation of adults who had grown up watching him on Reading Rainbow who supported his campaign to host Jeopardy.
"I made it public that I wanted it for myself, that it made sense to me, and they were all about it," Burton told Noah. "It made as much sense to them as it did to me. And, so, they wanted it for me as much as I wanted it."
Despite being a fan-favorite to succeed Alex Trebek as the game show's permanent host, Burton admits he doesn't want take over longterm.

"The crazy thing is that when you set your sights on something, you know, they say be careful of what you wish for, because what I found out is that it wasn't the thing that I wanted after all," he said. "What I wanted was to compete. I mean, I wanted the job, right, but then, when I didn't get it, it was, like, well, okay, what's next? And, so, the opportunities that have come my way as a result of not getting that gig, I couldn't have dreamt it up. If you had given me a pen and paper and said, well, so what do you want this to really look like? If it doesn't include Jeopardy, I wouldn't have been this generous to myself."
LeVar Burton is the new guest host of 'Jeopardy.'

| CREDIT: CAROL KAELSON/JEOPARDY PRODUCTIONS, INC.
This spring, Burton finally found himself behind the iconic Jeopardy host's lectern, taping a one-week stint as a guest host of the beloved quiz show. He told EW at the time that the speed at which the game moves surprised him.

"It's one thing to experience it at home, and then I've experienced it as a contestant on Celebrity Jeopardy, and so I understood that very well," he said. "I was nonetheless unprepared for the pace of the game as experienced by the host. It really moves like a bat out of hell, and you cannot drop your focus for even a nanosecond. It's challenging, really challenging on every level."
Although he doesn't want to return to hosting Jeopardy, Burton is still open to other similar gigs. "Now I'm thinking, well, it does kind of make sense, let me see what I can do," he told Noah. "So we're trying to figure out what the right game show for LeVar Burton would be."
Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to sharing hosting duties on "Jeopardy" through end of 2021.

| CREDIT: JEOPARDY PRODUCTIONS (2)
For the remainder of the year, Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings will take the reins on the show starting Monday with Bialik hosting episodes through Nov. 5. After Nov. 5, Jennings and Bialik will, according to a press release, "split hosting duties as their schedules allow."

Jeopardy returned for its 38th season on Sept. 13 with now-ousted host Mike Richards at the helm. Richards was originally tapped to replace Trebek in a permanent position. Following resurfaced incidents that included insensitive remarks made on his former podcast as well as two different discrimination lawsuits tied to his time working on The Price Is Right, however, Richards announced he was stepping down from the show.
Although Richards was removed from both his position as an executive producer and a host in August, he had pre-taped multiple Jeopardy episodes for the new season that began airing this week. A search for a permanent Jeopardy host is still ongoing.

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If I were LeVar Burton, I wouldn't want it now, either! He'll always be known as the "second choice", and they'll say that he got it because he was Black, and the first guy had to leave because of insensitive comments he made.
I'd be like, "Fuck you! I'm nobody's second choice!"

It's like a woman who turns down the "good guy" for a "bad boy" and gets fucked over, then she sees that the "good guy" is doing well, and she tries to get with him next.

They should've at least interviewed Laura Coates, Alex Trebek's hand picked choice because that was his dying wish that she would be the next host (although personally, I wouldn't like the choice, but what do I know? I'm not Alex Trebek or any of those Jeopardy champions.)

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Instead of bringing her on, they could have brought Lava back for an extended tryout at the very least.
It's like they're doing everything in their power to keep that Black man from hosting the show.
I find it interesting how Alex wanted a black woman to replace him and they haven't even looked in her direction.

Something racial discrimination is afoot.

and PLEASE do NOT forget this!

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
They fucked themselves with that rotation of guest hosts.

Dumbest idea ever.

Everyone knew Alex was going to pass so they had ample time to figure out his replacement.

Everyone involved in that fiasco should be fired.

And having multiple hosts for the show is just as dumb.

The level of incompetence on display since Trebek's death is mind blowing.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They fucked themselves with that rotation of guest hosts.

Dumbest idea ever.

Everyone knew Alex was going to pass so they had ample time to figure out his replacement.

Everyone involved in that fiasco should be fired.

And having multiple hosts for the show is just as dumb.

The level of incompetence on display since Trebek's death is mind blowing.

post of the month

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If anything,
The shit-show antics of "JEOPARDY" rose Burton's star even higher.
Dude's future is laid out now.
And this disaster showed his Fan Following is supreme.
And crosses all boundaries.

Burton is set.
And will be fine after this fiasco.

My brother Bomani was commenting on this

And this one of the few times he was off base

He failed to recognize LeVar cultural influence

And dismissed his supporters like the love was not genuine

He couldn't be more wrong

Mr. Burton is a generational talent

Culturally effected the world on different levels

Roots changed how Black people and Black history were seen

Star trek earned him a legion of fans from all races

Even these incel weirdos ain't letting folk talk bad about LaForge

And the millions who that black man taught to READ with reading rainbow

HOW anyone dismissing the support he got as not genuine?

Just plain clueless.

Last edited:

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My brother Bomani was commenting on this

And this one of the few times he was off base

He failed to recognize LeVar cultural influence

And dismissed his supporters like the love was not genuine

He couldn't be more wrong

Mr. Burton is a generational talent

Culturally effected the world on different levels

Roots changed how Black people and Black history were seen

Star trek earned him a legion of fans from all races

Even these incel weirdos ain't letting folk talk bad about LaForge

And the millions who that black taught to READ with reading rainbow

anyone dismissing the support he got as not genuine?

Just plain clueless.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

John Oliver Won’t Rest Until Jeopardy! Gets Its Shit Together
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax

Photo: Jeopardy Productions; HBO
Remember that time John Oliver showed up on Community for a few episodes and might have been the Ass-Crack Bandit all along? Well, maybe he should bring that energy to a Jeopardy! guest-hosting stint at this point, minus the quarters-in-cracks stuff. On Sunday’s episode of Last Week Tonight, Oliver, a fresh Emmy winner, reiterated what he’s been preaching on his show for weeks now: Jeopardy! somehow managed to screw up what should’ve been a preordained host-successor plan for Alex Trebek, now with temporary host Mayim Bialik. “It’s not great when our process for deciding who gets released and who gets expelled is as haphazard for finding a new host for Jeopardy! And by the way, great job so far, guys,” Oliver explained, weaving together the game show and Del Rio immigration scandals. “You dodged giving that guy the job permanently, and right now we’ve got somebody absolutely free of controversy, Mayim Bialik, a person I think is great because I don’t have Google.”

Bialik, who is hosting Jeopardy! for the rest of the year with Ken Jennings and previously served as a guest host, has received a significant amount of criticism from the show’s fans over her credibility due to her history of anti-vaxxing beliefs and shaming of Harvey Weinstein’s victims. Bialik, who holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience, addressed criticism for the first time last week with the Associated Press by confirming that she’s vaccinated against COVID-19. “I don’t regret that at the time I wrote a book about parenting, my kids were young, they hadn’t received all their vaccines,” she said. Jennings has also been embroiled in controversy of his own: His dumb old tweets, which he has apologized for, reportedly cost him the Jeopardy! hosting job prior to Mike Richards swooping in and beginning his very short reign of terror.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jeopardy!' Host Mayim Bialik Confronts Criticism Over Her Vaccine Comments
BY RYAN SMITH ON 9/24/21 AT 5:49 AM EDT

Jeopardy! host Mayim Bialik is reiterating her stance on vaccines as she continues to swat away accusations that she's a vaccine skeptic.
Shortly after it was announced that Bialik would be one of the permanent hosts on Jeopardy!—along with now-ousted Mike Richards—she was soon hit with scrutiny over comments she had made in her book, Beyond the Sling, published in 2012.
"We made an informed decision not to vaccinate our children, but this is a very personal decision that should be made only after sufficient research, which today is within reach of every parent who seeks to learn about their child's health regardless of their medical knowledge or educational status," she wrote at the time.

Mother-of-two Bialik has since clarified that she is not anti-vaccines, tweeting back in February 2015: "dispelling rumors abt my stance on vaccines. i'm not anti. my kids are vaccinated. so much anger and hysteria. i hope this clears things up."
And in October 2020, Bialik shared a YouTube video in which she revealed that she and her children would be receiving the COVID-19 vaccine and seasonal flu jabs.

However, the unrelenting criticism has continued to pour in over her perceived point of view on the matter, which the actress has now sought to put to rest once and for all.

When asked about the controversy in an interview with The Associated Press (AP), the star, who holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience, said: "I don't regret that at the time I wrote a book about parenting, my kids were young, they hadn't received all their vaccines.
"Now I've been very public and declared that I am a vaccinated person, we're a vaccinated family, we're all vaccinated for COVID. That's part of the challenge of being a public person, and the court of public opinion is extremely significant.
"I'm grateful to Sony and to Jeopardy! for believing in me as a host right now, with the ability to do my job with all the other things aside."

Mayim Bialik discusses her new book "Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular" at Build Studio on May 9, 2017 in New York City. The "Jeopardy!" host has addressed the ongoing criticism of her stance on vaccines.BRAD BARKET/GETTY IMAGES
Former Jeopardy! executive producer Richards' old comments also came back to haunt him when he landed the coveted role as the late Alex Trebek's successor on the long-running primetime quiz show.
The Ringer published an article detailing the series of offensive remarks Richards had made while hosting his now-defunct podcast between 2013 and 2014, when he served as a producer on The Price Is Right.

Amid an outcry, he stepped down from his role as host on August 20—just nine days after his appointment was announced. He also lost his job as executive producer of Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune on August 31.

Addressing the upheaval, Bialik told the AP: "There have been many conversations and weeks and weeks of us all getting adjusted to what's been going on.

"There hasn't really been anything that's been a surprise, so there wasn't really awkwardness. I'm just excited to be able to do my job and do it to the best of my ability, as someone who likely would get everything wrong on Jeopardy! It's a real honor to get to stand up there."
The Big Bang Theory star Bialik, who had initially been appointed as host of Jeopardy! tournaments and specials, has stepped in to host the show following Richards' unceremonious exit.

Mike Richards attends the 41st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards CBS After Party at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on June 22, 2014 in Beverly Hills, California. Richards stepped down as "Jeopardy!" host just nine days after his role was announced.ALLEN BEREZOVSKY/WIREIMAGE

With her stint already airing on screens across the U.S., the actress will present the show until November 5, after which she will split presenting duties with all-time Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings.
However, in her interview with the AP, Bialik stressed that she no longer feels as though she's still auditioning for the role of permanent Jeopardy! presenter, as she essentially had done earlier in the year along with a host of other celebrities.
"As far as I'm concerned, I'm not auditioning for anything anymore," she said when asked if it felt like her new stint felt like another round of tryouts. "I'm doing the job that's in front of me and letting the business executives do what they need to do.

"For me, I'm getting more and more comfortable with the language of Jeopardy!, as we call it, and making the crew and the staff feel like we have consistency and that I'm a person really interested in maintaining the integrity of the show."