Kyrie Irving requesting trade out of Cleveland to find bigger role

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor

giphy.gif

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know about swept but they can't win in a best of 7 series just yet. Cavs was trying to get Jayson Tatum AND the Nets pick :lol:

It will be interesting to see what they do with that pick. Also I do think Wade might go there. If he did their bench would be much better
Swept!!!

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That finals will be embarrassing for ONE reason.... Who will IT guard!?!?! He gets lit up my anybody in the Warriors backcourt, starter or bench. May be a bloodbath :smh:
Analyzing the Celtics-Cavaliers trade
The Celtics and the Cavaliers agreed on a blockbuster trade including Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas, and more. Who won the trade, and how does it affect the Warriors?
by Hugo Kitano@HugoKitano Aug 23, 2017, 8:00am PDT TWEET

685600302.0.jpg
Photo by Adam Glanzman/Getty Images
On a quiet Tuesday afternoon, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics quickly put together a trade revolving around the swap of their two All-Star point guards. Ultimately, the Cavaliers gave up Kyrie Irving to Boston for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and the Brooklyn Nets’ unprotected 2018 first round draft pick.

There’s a lot going on here between the two best teams in the Eastern Conference, so let’s break down the trade piece by piece.

Kyrie Irving vs. Isaiah Thomas
For almost a year now, Celtics fans and Cavaliers fans have been arguing over which of their point guards was better. They’re all going to be sheepish now that their teams have swapped them!

On a more serious note, the reason why these two players are compared so often is that they’re pretty similar players. Generally, they’re score-first point guards who are liabilities on the defensive end. But there are a few crucial differences:

• Kyrie Irving is 25, and Isaiah Thomas is 28. Given Thomas’ recent hip injury and advancing age, there’s real concern that his play will drop off soon. If he loses any athleticism, he’ll have trouble driving and scoring because he’s so small. Also, Irving is young enough to improve his weaknesses.
  • Isaiah Thomas is a better distributor and passer. Irving will have to improve at involving his teammates with the Celtics substantially, especially without LeBron to run the offense.
  • Both point guards are poor defenders, but Kyrie Irving has shown a higher ceiling. Within a good defensive system, Irving could be an average defender given consistent effort. Conversely, Thomas will likely always be a very poor defender given his poor fundamentals and small stature.
  • Irving is under contract for two years, while Thomas is under contract for only one. Thomas is reportedly looking for a max contract, but I doubt he’ll be able to find one with his age, injury, and defensive concerns.
Given these differences, I think Kyrie has a bit more value than Isaiah, though Isaiah very well might have a better 2017-2018 season. Kyrie’s age, higher defensive ceiling, and contract are the deciding factors here.

Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and the Brooklyn pick
Because Irving’s contract is quite a larger more than Thomas’, Boston had to give Cleveland more salary to make the salaries match. Jae Crowder is an awesome acquisition for the Cavaliers: he’s a versatile defender who can stretch the floor and play smart. He immediately becomes the Cavs’ second best wing player, after LeBron James. He’s also under one of the most team-friendly contracts in the league, making only around $21 million over the next three years.
Ante Zizic is a rookie who probably won’t contribute this year, but could develop into a tough, mean starter at center down the road.

Personally, I think a trade consisting of Irving for Thomas, Crowder, and Zizic would have been fair to both sides, with a slight edge to the Cavaliers. But the Celtics threw in the Nets’ unprotected 2018 first rounder, and that changes everything.

The Nets are bad, and will probably finish with a bottom-five record in the league. With the draft next year already looking to be top-heavy, their first round pick next year is one of the most valuable non-player assets in the league.

With the inclusion of this pick, the trade becomes lopsided. The Cavaliers won this trade.

What does this mean for the Celtics?
Other than signing Gordon Hayward, the Celtics spent the entire offseason preparing for the future: they traded down from the first overall pick to acquire a future first-rounder, and did not snag either Paul George or Butler to protect future assets.

But looking back at the George and Butler trades, the Celtics gave up far more than either the Timberwolves or Thunder did, and for a worse player. Both Butler and George are elite on both ends of the court, unlike Irving.

So why did the Celtics decide to cash in their chips now for Irving? It makes little sense. Of course, they have quite a few assets left in their stockpile, and Irving could bring more top-end talent to Boston with his star power. But the Celtics may have mismanaged the most crucial offseason in their development.

Losing both Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder this offseason will hurt the Celtics’ defense considerably. They also don’t have a consistent player to play power forward; Marcus Morrismight be that guy, but he and Horford would make up the worst rebounding frontcourt in the league. It’s a roster that looks like it’s still in a transition period.

The Warriors don’t have to worry about this team this year, but there’s still a decent chance the Celtics become scary in years to come.

What does this mean for the Cavaliers?
The value of obtaining Jae Crowder cannot be overstated for the Cavaliers. He’s one of the few players on the team who can switch onto multiple positions, hit threes, and not get exposed by Kevin Durant.

Isaiah Thomas will be an interesting fit next to LeBron James. He’ll likely be able to run an offense better than Irving did, especially when LeBron is resting. But especially against the Warriors, his defense will be exposed even worse than Irving’s. Stephen Curry will destroy him on that end, and that may be enough to secure a potential series in the Warriors’ favor.

The Brooklyn pick could be used in another trade for a veteran, or used on a young prospect to add young talent to an old Cleveland team.

Ultimately, this trade will be judged by whether LeBron James leaves next offseason. The Cavs will have to decide soon whether to go all-in this season, or hedge their bets and start preparing for a LeBron-less future.

I personally think that LeBron probably will leave town, and there’s a good chance Thomas does as well. In this case, the Celtics are the clear favorites in the East, despite losing this trade. If I’m the Cavs, I’d keep the Brooklyn pick just in case a total rebuild is necessary.

For the Warriors, not much has changed in the short term. Boston remains quite far away from challenging them, and the fits of Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder in Cleveland are yet to be seen. One oddsmaker, BookMaker.edu, has already lowered the chances of both a Boston and a Cleveland championship after the trade. As always, the most important thing to watch is whether LeBron will leave Cleveland next July.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
More than anybody on the Warriors. Why you dont have any Warrior posts prior to 2015? You joined the champs wagon like KD?
everybody on GS except KD got 2; we already know you are a liar and not a man of your word; more like a bitch; otherwise I would bet you again; but we know deep down you are a hoe ass nigga; @IT IS WHAT IT IS already prove that....

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Cavs administration been lurking on BGOL, got a hold of my expert analysis and now all of a sudden they are thinking about voiding the deal :giggle:

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Cavs administration been lurking on BGOL, got a hold of my expert analysis and now all of a sudden they are thinking about voiding the deal :giggle:

damn that hip must be fucked up...I was hearing he might be out til nov./dec. ...that's a long ass wait

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Shit that trade might get even better for the Cavs...
The Celtics ain't letting Thomas come back to beantown

Thomas(messed up hip and all)
Crowder
Zizic
Nets 1st
Lakers 1st

I think the cavs without Unc is better than Boston with a healthy Thomas...

That team in Boston is a completely new young team....
Strange things has happen in sport but I doubt that team with just Haywood would beat out a cavs squad without Kyrie.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
damn that hip must be fucked up...I was hearing he might be out til nov./dec. ...that's a long ass wait

If they still weight options, I think this might could be another nice chess move....

Man Boston absolutely don't want Thomas, Danny tried to trade him during the 2015-2016 season before the deadline.

Reactions: LSN

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cavs are tripping, you got the pick and J crowder...You knew he was hurt..shit give us our assets back its not like yall will get a better offer.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I cant stand Boston and Danny Ainge. I knew something seemed funny as hell about this trade. Danny Ainge has been ripping teams off to gain their picks and now they give up all these assets for Irving? Naw, sounded too good too be true. Cleveland should call off the trade and see if Portland will trade CJ Mcollum / Damian Lilliard , for Love/ Irving.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
If Isaiah can't pass that physical then ship him back. That's the rules. They still need to move Irving, fast.

Yeah, time for the Cavs GM to start looking for food again. Stubborn ass Gilbert fired the GM who really could have been around the NBA like ...

3GjMZ.gif

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
GM: Kyrie Irving Would Have To Become Top-10 Player To Equal Boston's Trade Cost
AUG 30, 2017 9:28 AM

Irving_Kyrie_cle_150529.jpg

In an offseason where Paul George and Jimmy Butler were traded by the Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls for disappointing returns, the Boston Celtics decided to blow those trade packages out of the water by sending Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and Brooklyn's 2018 first round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Kyrie Irving.

According to one general manager, Irving would have to become a top-10 player in the NBA to equal the value of what Boston send to the Cavaliers.

Cleveland also sought either Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum in the trade.

While Irving is a consistent All-Star and one of the best playmakers in the NBA, he is not widely considered to be a top-10 player.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-second-rounder-boston-celtics-complete-trade

With a Thursday morning deadline looming, the Boston Celtics agreed to send the Cleveland Cavaliers a 2020 second-round draft pick via the Miami Heat to acquire four-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and complete the blockbuster trade, league sources said.

The Celtics resisted the Cavaliers' desire for a first-round pick to compensate the Cavs' reluctance to sign-off on Isaiah Thomas' hip injury, and Cleveland finally agreed to consummate the deal late Wednesday night.

These talks had become a game of chicken, with both teams risking the consequences of walking away on a deal that could have short and long-term consequences for both franchises.

The Cavaliers and Celtics agreed on a deal that had intended to send Irving to Boston, for Thomas, a two-time All-Star, forward Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and an unprotected 2018 first-round draft pick via the Brooklyn Nets.

Cleveland maintained that Boston wasn't fully transparent about the possible length of rehabilitation facing Thomas, who suffered a hip injury in the Eastern Conference finals. Thomas has been rehabilitating his injury, and told ESPN on Tuesday that he expected to play this season and believed he would return to an elite level. Boston believes it was fully forthcoming in detailing Thomas' injury, sources said.

"There's never been an indication that I wouldn't be back, and there's never been an indication that this is something messing up my career," Thomas told ESPN on Tuesday. "Maybe I am not going to be back as soon this season as everyone wants me to be, but I'm going to be back, and I'm going to be the same player again. No doctor has told me anything different than that."

Thomas, 28, is entering the final year of his contract and has been expected to be in line for a $100 million-plus contract in free agency. He had the best season of his career in 2016-17, averaging 28.9 points per game. In his three seasons with the Celtics, Thomas emerged as one of the NBA's elite guards.

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-second-rounder-boston-celtics-complete-trade

With a Thursday morning deadline looming, the Boston Celtics agreed to send the Cleveland Cavaliers a 2020 second-round draft pick via the Miami Heat to acquire four-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and complete the blockbuster trade, league sources said.

The Celtics resisted the Cavaliers' desire for a first-round pick to compensate the Cavs' reluctance to sign-off on Isaiah Thomas' hip injury, and Cleveland finally agreed to consummate the deal late Wednesday night.

These talks had become a game of chicken, with both teams risking the consequences of walking away on a deal that could have short and long-term consequences for both franchises.

The Cavaliers and Celtics agreed on a deal that had intended to send Irving to Boston, for Thomas, a two-time All-Star, forward Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and an unprotected 2018 first-round draft pick via the Brooklyn Nets.

Cleveland maintained that Boston wasn't fully transparent about the possible length of rehabilitation facing Thomas, who suffered a hip injury in the Eastern Conference finals. Thomas has been rehabilitating his injury, and told ESPN on Tuesday that he expected to play this season and believed he would return to an elite level. Boston believes it was fully forthcoming in detailing Thomas' injury, sources said.

"There's never been an indication that I wouldn't be back, and there's never been an indication that this is something messing up my career," Thomas told ESPN on Tuesday. "Maybe I am not going to be back as soon this season as everyone wants me to be, but I'm going to be back, and I'm going to be the same player again. No doctor has told me anything different than that."

Thomas, 28, is entering the final year of his contract and has been expected to be in line for a $100 million-plus contract in free agency. He had the best season of his career in 2016-17, averaging 28.9 points per game. In his three seasons with the Celtics, Thomas emerged as one of the NBA's elite guards.

Bout time

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Ultimately its not the great deal some are painting for the Cavs nor the overpay some are painting for the Celts. IT will essentially be a 3month rental with them banking on the draft pick becoming a future all star in order to justify the move. Celts get a guy who instantly becomes their bet player in a below MV deal at age 25.

Personally i would have demanded Jaylen Brown and thrown in Shump OR demanded them adding a future protected 1st round pick. I dont care what anyone says, they had Boston by the balls. And after hearing IT's comment i think this injury is worse than being reported.

On a related note, IT talks too fucking much. I said when he made that "back the Brinks truck up" comment that he should stfu.. That ultimately played a part in all this. He brought this shit on himself. He also was seen wearing some Brinks truck flip flops that rubbed some people wrong... all while nursing a bad hip. Idiot.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Ultimately its not the great deal some are painting for the Cavs nor the overpay some are painting for the Celts. IT will essentially be a 3month rental with them banking on the draft pick becoming a future all star in order to justify the move. Celts get a guy who instantly becomes their bet player in a below MV deal at age 25.

Personally i would have demanded Jaylen Brown and thrown in Shump OR demanded them adding a future protected 1st round pick. I dont care what anyone says, they had Boston by the balls. And after hearing IT's comment i think this injury is worse than being reported.

On a related note, IT talks to fucking much. I said when he made that "back the Brinks truck up" comment that he should stfu.. That ultimately played a part in all this. He brought this shit on himself. He also was seen wearing some Brinks truck flip flops that rubbed some people wrong... all while nursing a bad hip. Idiot.

Yep. They could have gotten more.

I wouldn't be surprised if they package up Love and those two picks for more talent. They might be able to get Lebron to stay if they get more talent that can contribute immediately.