Kendrick Lamar disses Drake & J Cole on Metro Boomin & Futures Album/ Rick Ross Responds/ Kanye Responds/Kendrick Responds 4X / Drake Responds 3X

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Pusha-T, a Lecturer Seeking a Target, Finds One​

merlin_138828258_32dae72a-e796-4198-930c-0f8bc5adb57d-articleLarge.jpg

Pusha-T raps about ethics on “Daytona,” an album produced by Kanye West. His post-release back-and-forth with Drake, however, has been grabbing more headlines.Credit...Fabien Montique
By Jon Caramanica
  • May 30, 2018
When Pusha-T raps, it’s with the air of a stern father lecturing his children, who may or may not be listening. But it doesn’t matter which — the teaching is its own end.

That’s been the case since his days rapping alongside his brother, Malice, as one-half of the Clipse; together, they were responsible for some of the most ferocious and meticulous drug-dealing-demimonde rapping the genre has ever seen. But Malice has become No Malice — he’s given himself to a higher power — and Pusha-T is left to till that poisoned soil on his own.

He is 41 now, and committed to the work, making canvases that look similar from far away but up close reveal a fluency in pointillist detail. On “Daytona,” his fourth solo release — at seven songs totaling 22 minutes, it’s an EP masquerading as an album — he remains rigorous, declaiming with a severe voice salted with light gravel.

His topic: Ethics. A code of conduct derived from a bygone era in rap. Every time Pusha-T mentions Ghostface Killah and Raekwon, or alludes to the Lox, or name-checks Akinyele, he prizes a kind of street formalism particular to the New York (and New-York-inspired) rap of the 1990s, which has now largely been relegated to the underground.

[Drake vs. Pusha-T, unpacked: Hear the Popcast.]
This is his bailiwick, though, and there’s plenty of it on this strong album. On “Hard Piano,” he’s sneering, and “The Games We Play” is staggeringly good: “Caviar facials remove the toxins/This ain’t for the conscious, this is for the mud-made monsters.” On “Come Back Baby,” he traces the path from illegal business to legal, from anonymity to fame back to anonymity:

Pusha-T doesn’t hurry; he’s sniper patient. On songs like “If You Know You Know,” he sometimes raps so crisply and sparsely — “A rapper turned trapper can’t morph into us/But a trapper turned rapper can morph into Puff” — that he almost feels disconnected from the song’s rhythm. His syllables have hard edges, and rarely does he let feeling get in the way, though the one exception is “Santeria,” inspired by the murder of his road manager. On this song, you can almost hear the wetness in Pusha-T’s rhymes, his typical stoicism traded for something a little short of breath.
merlin_138828243_e70ca5b5-f461-4526-bd37-1502c39fe59d-articleLarge.jpg

Pusha-T’s fourth solo release is “Daytona.”

“Daytona” was produced in deeply satisfying fashion by Kanye West, with additional production by his longtime collaborators Andrew Dawson and Mike Dean. It is a return to Mr. West’s early days as a seeker and reinterpreter of deep samples, but overlaid with the coldness and menace of his “Yeezus” era.

When “Daytona” was released last week, it was met with a fevered response. But in a desert, water has a way of appearing not just wet, but sweet. “Daytona” may stand alone in this moment — particularly in contrast to the woozy, blown-out rap albums dominating the charts because of the primacy of streaming — but it isn’t as effective as “My Name Is My Name,” Pusha-T’s 2013 full-length solo debut album. “Daytona” is terser, leaving only nits to pick; say, that the second and third verses of “Come Back Baby” lack the fire and wit of the rest of the album.
Authority, of course, is regionally and temporally specific — what’s acknowledged as certitude now sounds nothing like it did when Pusha-T was growing up. “I’m too rare amongst all of this pink hair,” he raps on “Hard Piano,” a sidelong shot at the excesses of the SoundCloud generation. Pusha-T stands out amid the meditative, louche koans of Playboi Carti or the creaky whine of Lil Baby.

And of course, he stands in contrast to Drake, the melodist who has been the biggest influence on hip-hop this decade. He is a thorn in Pusha-T’s side, a convenient antagonist. On “Infrared,” Pusha-T renews the critique that Drake has had help writing his raps: “The lyric penning equal to Trump’s winning.”

[In a rare public statement, Drake addressed a photo of himself in blackface from 2007.]

Less than a day after “Daytona” was released, Drake replied with a cruel song, “Duppy Freestyle,” calling Pusha-T’s street bona fides into question and perhaps crossing a line by mentioning his fiancée.

On Tuesday, Pusha-T released “The Story of Adidon.” Rapping over the beat from Jay-Z’s “The Story of O.J.,” a song about a crossover star’s racial anxiety, he replied in deeply personal terms, suggesting that Drake has anxiety about his relationship to blackness (the cover art is a discomfiting old photo of Drake, who is biracial, in blackface); that Drake’s father abandoned the family; and that Drake — who, Pusha-T alleges on the song, has a secret child — is on the path to revisiting his father’s sins. There are cruel words about Drake’s mother, and about 40, his producer, who has multiple sclerosis.

It is heartless, ice-cold stuff — shockingly intimate information used against an artist for whom intimacy was long his stock in trade. Pusha-T’s proclamations are typically abstract, more particular to his experience than to any specific target. But when a target arrives, he’s prepared.

@REDLINE @Lexx Diamond

A lot of so called rap fans need to go back and kiss this man Pusha T feet and give him his proper due.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Pusha T

Mental health is something that I’m totally not even well-versed on. I’m just getting hip and I feel like first and foremost that’s something that should be talked about in the black community, because I grew up in a household where “crazy” is used so loosely. I don’t think my mom or my dad today even subscribe to you know, crazy. They don’t subscribe to that. They’re like, “What? You know what I went through?”

They have that mentality. So I’m learning more and more, you know watching things on suicide and so on and so forth. I feel like with mental health and what I’m seeing is that most people need that outlet to talk. If you can talk through your issues and not feel bound by embarrassment or whatever the case may be, I feel like that’s step one. If you can speak out it, then you’re on the road to calming that breakdown.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It depends on who it's coming from and the sincerity of it.

This clown has a long history of this goofy, ignorant ass behavior so his apology is worthless IMO.

Even if he's sincere in this instance we all know it's highly probable that you'll be seeing another ignorant Soulja Boy post and video filled with "pussah buoi" sprinkled throughout them.

But if he were to genuinely apologize, grow up and change his behavior then it would be admirable and a sign of strength.

This apology is either the response to the negative response that he's gotten about those posts or the result of people behind the scenes letting him know he was out of line (or possibly him getting pressed and being told to do so.)
Nah I think it hit him he spoke on a dead mother that was murdered . Kids and mothers are off limits, especially mother that was taken in such a manner

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It depends on who it's coming from and the sincerity of it.

This clown has a long history of this goofy, ignorant ass behavior so his apology is worthless IMO.

Even if he's sincere in this instance we all know it's highly probable that you'll be seeing another ignorant Soulja Boy post and video filled with "pussah buoi" sprinkled throughout them.

But if he were to genuinely apologize, grow up and change his behavior then it would be admirable and a sign of strength.

This apology is either the response to the negative response that he's gotten about those posts or the result of people behind the scenes letting him know he was out of line (or possibly him getting pressed and being told to do so.)

Funny how sensitive the men are...

@REDLINE

Nicki told Megan she was gonna dig up her dead mother too.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I did read somewhere that there was a big shot caller from Hell's Angels that lived in Drake's neighborhood...

And now people are starting to poke holes in Chris Alvarez's story, saying the timeline of events doesn't line up. Some chic named Tisa Tells is in full on tinfoil hat mode... and that ebony prince dude is telling her she's on the right path.

I'm so sick of this cryptic tweeting... like my papa used to say, shit or get off the pot.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Pusha T Stress Disorder.

giphy.gif

@Lexx Diamond

Post of the year nominee

Official new addition to the BGOL lexicon

Pusha T Stress Disorder n.
  1. a condition of persistent mental and emotional stress occurring as a result of severe psychological shock from passive aggressively targeting superior MCs and receiving a massive all encompassing response that completely overwhelms the entirety of your being. Typically involving disturbance of sleep and constant vivid recall of the experience and haunted by chants of "oh vee hoe" and "A-Minor", with dulled responses to others and to the outside world who tried to warn your ass not to start with that psychopath from Compton, vicious social media content humiliating and body shaming you, your new friends all revealing themselves to actually be your enemies and members of your self created security force being gravely injured.
  2. A sudden and severe realization that you are NOT like them and they in turn are NOT like you.

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
giphy.gif

@Lexx Diamond

Post of the year nominee

Official new addition to the BGOL lexicon

Pusha T Stress Disorder n.
  1. a condition of persistent mental and emotional stress occurring as a result of severe psychological shock from passive aggressively targeting superior MCs and receiving a massive all encompassing response that completely overwhelms the entirety of your being. Typically involving disturbance of sleep and constant vivid recall of the experience and haunted by chants of "oh vee hoe" and "A-Minor", with dulled responses to others and to the outside world who tried to warn your ass not to start with that psychopath from Compton, vicious social media content humiliating and body shaming you, your new friends all revealing themselves to actually be your enemies and members of your self created security force being gravely injured.
  2. A sudden and severe realization that you are NOT like them and they in turn are NOT like you.

When I first saw that I had to put the phone down so I could laugh harder. Us who walk these Beegeeoel streets know what it is to get ocked. This whole shit is the greatest ock ever. From music videos, MP3's and internet memes the funniest and most ock I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
When I first saw that I had to put the phone down so I could laugh harder. Us who walk these Beegeeoel streets know what it is to get ocked. This whole shit is the greatest ock ever. From music videos, MP3's and internet memes the funniest and most ock I have seen in a long time.

274 pages, Lexx.

A legendary ocking.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@playahaitian

What's crazy is that I hadn't previously seen those tweets you mentioned re: PTSD from 5 years ago.

But this is definitely another certified L for Degrassi's own, Jimmy Brooks.

His beefs with Pusha and Kendrick will be referenced for many years to come. Similar to how the diss tracks from the '90s are still mentioned.

but the QUESTION remains... will Drake be FINE?

LL was fine win or lose (too many battles)
MC Shan was hurt? Or just demons?
Ice Cube and Common were both fine
Bone Thugs Naughty and Twista all fine
50 and Game and Rawse were fine
Fat Joe battled Jay Z and 50 Cent and is fine
Jadakiss battled Beans and was fine
Ja Rule got HURT but in the long run? was fine

Drake survived Pusha VERY WELL and Common too and Budden
And to be fair no matter HOW MUCH they try to rewrite history?
Drake took on a squad solo.
Not that Kendrick needed help or asked for it but it MATTERS.

Will that boy from up north recovery with no issues?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

See I aint THERE yet.

we gonna act like what 50 Cent did to Ja was not a complete annihilation?

With damn near NO INTERNET!!!

50 Cent was going on NATIONAL TV STATIONS basically calling Ja Rule a b*tch.

This is epic ONE of the BEST ever PERIOD

but to be fair Drake kinda drew up the blueprint for his own destruction with what he did to Meek Mill.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Drake survived Pusha VERY WELL and Common too and Budden
And to be fair no matter HOW MUCH they try to rewrite history?
Drake took on a squad solo.
Not that Kendrick needed help or asked for it but it MATTERS.

Will that boy from up north recovery with no issues?

It doesn't look too good for my fellow Canadian.

No longer is the $100 million mansion a place for peaceful rest and relaxation.

One of the other mega mansions or ranches will have to do.

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
See I aint THERE yet.

we gonna act like what 50 Cent did to Ja was not a complete annihilation?

With damn near NO INTERNET!!!

50 Cent was going on NATIONAL TV STATIONS basically calling Ja Rule a b*tch.

This is epic ONE of the BEST ever PERIOD

but to be fair Drake kinda drew up the blueprint for his own destruction with what he did to Meek Mill.

Fam I just could never take Jah Rule, seriously. He was never about that life.