Jessica Cleaves dies at age 65

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I guess you really have to be an "old-head" like myself and into some really deep R&B/Soul/Funk, 60s/70s grooves to know of and appreciate Jessica Cleaves.

Not only was she part of The Friends Of Distinction (who were considered the more soulful, funkier version of The Fifth Dimension), but Cleaves was the ONLY female to ever be a part of Earth, Wind. and Fire. Recording two albums, and gracing the cover of my FAVORITE EWF album, "HEAD TO THE SKY"

Cleaves was also a member of The P-Funk Army for a bit as one of The Brides Of Funkenstein when George Clinton had a bunch of groups scattered across many record labels.

R.I.P.

Former Earth Wind & Fire and Friends of Distinction singer Jessica Cleaves dies at age 65

JessicaCleaves.jpg
Jessica Cleaves, a talented singer who was part of two legendary groups - The Friends of Distinction and Earth, Wind & Fire, has died at age 65.

One of the most likeable and vocally cohesive singing groups of the late 60s and early 70s, the Friends of Distinction, formed by Cleaves, Harry Elston, Floyd Butler, and Barbara Love in 1968, made some of the most memorable pop/soul music of their time. Often compared to the Fifth Dimension, the Friends featured tightly harmonizing men and women dressed in late 60s "hip" clothing. And like the Fifth Dimension, the Friends of Distinction had some hits that have stood the test of time.

Their first single, "Grazin' In the Grass," was a Elston-sung vocal remake of a Hugh Masekela instrumental cut, and hit the top 5 on both Pop and Soul charts in 1969. The group's follow-up, "Going In Circles," was a brilliant ballad that also charted high. The Friends were quite prolific from 1969-71, releasing 5 albums (a sixth appeared in 1973). They also released a number of great singles, including "Check It Out" (later remade by Tavares) and a terrific cover of Neil Sedaka's "Time Waits for No One."

Cleaves left the Friends to join a fledgling Chicago band called Earth Wind & Fire, and recorded with the group for two albums, Last Days and Time and Head to the Sky. Cleaves was gone from EWF by the time of the group's breakout album, That's The Way of the World, but her work during her brief period in the band had many highlights.

Cleaves later moved to Detroit and went on to record with Parliament before fading from the public eye in the 80s.

Jessica Cleaves was an extremely talented, rich-voiced singer who will be remembered not only for the great company she kept, but for her contribution everywhere she went in music. She will be missed.

By Chris Rizik

King Natty

Rising Star
Registered
I found that Last Days and Times record some years ago. R.I.P.
I'll have to look for Friends of Distinction though, not too many old groups slip past me so I'm slightly annoyed lol

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didn't know who she was but listened to the video's and I definitely remember my uncle playing these and have heard them many times she was nice.

RIP Sista

swipe

I Have Lunchmeataphobia
BGOL Investor
I remember a couple of these from my mom playing them, but was way to young to name the artist.

Paul1970

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It would've been very interesting if EWF had kept a female singer in the group.

Rest In Peace.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It would've been very interesting if EWF had kept a female singer in the group.

Rest In Peace.

I said that shit to friends in the music industry for decades. Especially how different a lot of their CLASSIC works would have sounded.

But when you look at the slew of R&B/Soul/Funk bands that followed with leads both male and female, I think that "field" started to get pretty much covered by then.