Jazz Musician Roy Hargrove dies at age 49..............sad

the artist

Same shit, different day
BGOL Investor
Hargrove died in New York on Friday of cardiac arrest stemming from a longtime fight with kidney disease, longtime manager Larry Clothier said in a statement. :hmm:

Due to your emoji, I'm just gonna put it out there. Roy was a heroin addict and alcoholic for many years. Which is why his career never took off like it should have. He was not dependable because of his habit. His manager was also his enabler. This is why his kidneys amongst other organs suffered like they did.

I speak what I know. :hmm:

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Due to your emoji, I'm just gonna put it out there. Roy was a heroin addict and alcoholic for many years. Which is why his career never took off like it should have. He was not dependable because of his habit. His manager was also his enabler. This is why his kidneys amongst other organs suffered like they did.

Okay you've succeeded in injecting negativity in this tragedy however true. Feel vindicated? :hmm:

the artist

Same shit, different day
BGOL Investor
Okay you've succeeded in injecting negativity in this tragedy however true. Feel vindicated? :hmm:

Injecting huh? I see what you did there. What you mad for? I didnt give him that shit.
My point was that I'm sick of seeing dope take out our greats. Prince was one of my all time favorite artists but face it, he was an addict. Skin and bones when he died.

Like I said, I work with entertainers on a daily basis and some of the shit that I do see is crazy.

Ya'll keep on believing what the news tell ya'll. Pretty sure @woodchuck can attest to it.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
Man, somebody on here said he wasn’t doing too well. When I mentioned it was Roy Hargrove on Erykah Badu’s album that turned me on to jazz. RIP. Dang.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Injecting huh? I see what you did there. What you mad for? I didnt give him that shit.
My point was that I'm sick of seeing dope take out our greats. Prince was one of my all time favorite artists but face it, he was an addict. Skin and bones when he died.

Like I said, I work with entertainers on a daily basis and some of the shit that I do see is crazy.

Ya'll keep on believing what the news tell ya'll. Pretty sure @woodchuck can attest to it.

There was absolutely nothing said by you in your original post that was positive. Now you're saying all the negative things you originally said was because you're "sick of seeing dope take out our greats". Too bad you didn't display that concern while detailing all the bad things Roy did to himself. Perhaps if you had balanced the two and spoke accordingly no one would have misunderstood your intent. But it's all good. Let's just celebrate the man and his gift to us all. :hmm:

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor

That's about right. I called that shit out years ago.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He called it out HIMSELF years ago. Published February 2012

Brother kept it real in that short interview.
But DAMN if he doesn't look older than his age (at that time).
It's almost like that Charlie Parker death story in which the coroner thought he was 65.
Instead of his real 35 years of age.

Sad shit is that Hargrove could have contributed so much more to the Music.
To me, he sounded like a latter-day Freddie Hubbard.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
This song made me fall in love with Roy Hargrove a few months ago, I discovered him on this board. This Brother is/was Talented. R.I.P. Roy.

Last edited:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
This song made me fall in love with Roy Hargrove a few months ago, I discovered him on this board. This Brother is/was Talented. R.I.P. Roy.

One of his classics. From the EARFOOD album. Montez Coleman on the drum kit. That's Gerald Clayton on the piano.
Only know one place where you can hear him too. Lots of incredible artists have come through the RH Factor

Last edited:

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
For any of you BGOL Peeps in the NYC Area...

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine will be holding a Memorial Celebration for Hargrove on Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 at 7PM.
(1047) Amsterdam Ave and 112th St. I hear the details are still being worked out.
http://www.stjohndivine.org/

There will also be a Hargrove Tribute at The Jazz Gallery which is (1160) Broadway and 27th St.
That's December 21st & 22nd.
http://www.jazzgallery.org/

CORNBREAD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You are sick of dope taking out our greats? Well you are going to be sick for a long time..since you work with entertainers you know this is nuthin new.. Its been that way since our early Jazz Greats to Mac Miller. Its the Devils work and I don't condone it!!! Just try and embrace the art that they left behind with a kind heart.You only have control over your life.and your life only...so if you r sick be sick but love those who may not have been strong-minded as you are... I know this is easier said than done but if u r really sick channel your nrg to something positive and help those in the Entertainment industry if u haven't already.

Last edited: