Jazz Musician Roy Hargrove dies at age 49..............sad

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Trumpeter Roy Hargrove Dead at 49
The jazz talent recorded with D’Angelo, Erykah Badu, Common, and more

Roy%20Hargrove.png

Roy Hargrove photo by Paul CHARBIT/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
Roy Hargrove—the jazz trumpeter to contributed to albums by artists including D’Angelo, Erykah Badu, Common, and so many more—has died, as jazz journalist and Pitchfork contributor Nate Chinen reports. NPR reports that the cause of death was cardiac arrest. He was 49 years old.

A prodigious talent whose star rose in the early 1990s, Hargrove was discovered by Wynton Marsalis when he was still in high school. Marsalis gave Hargrove his start, allowing him to sit in with his band and introducing him to established musicians. After a single year at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Hargrove began his career in earnest, releasing solo albums and performing alongside notable jazz figures such as Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock, Jackie McLean, Oscar Peterson, and more.

In 2000, he provided brass arrangements and performed on Erykah Badu’s sophomore album Mama’s Gun. That same year, he contributed to D’Angelo’s iconic record Voodoo and Common’s major label debut Like Water for Chocolate. In 2014, he would reunite with D’Angelo to perform on Black Messiah. A two-time Grammy winner, Hargrove continued to record and perform music live until his death.

https://pitchfork.com/news/trumpeter-roy-hargrove-dead-at-49/

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Fuck RIP I am pissed today. Brotha was never really fully appreciated. The ONLY reason why I even heard of the brotha is because of brotha Dirty and DWBass posting his music years ago in the music threads
To the day he pased he was traveling all over the world to play gigs because he couldn't get any real gigs here in the USA. All that travel had as much to do with his death and his kidneys

Fuck it
RIP King. Your music lives FOREVER in my thread, my heart and my soul. Fuck everybody else. All these pop rap clowns

the artist

Same shit, different day
BGOL Investor
Let's not jump the gun yet..its possible Let's wait til we hear the cause of death.

Rest in Peace... I had the pleasure of seeing him perform in New York.

I'm speaking on what I know. I'm not bashing the man by any means. He abused his body early on and it created medical issues that he couldnt overcome in the end.

CORNBREAD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm speaking on what I know. I'm not bashing the man by any means. He abused his body early on and it created medical issues that he couldnt overcome in the end.
Didn't say you was bashing .. Not even disagreeing with you.. Just said let's wait for the results

Last edited: