Iron Mike's back... exhibition bout with ROY JONES JR on Sept 12.... now postponed to Nov 28

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
He went back down...one of the all time great mistakes...think there was actually talk of a Tyson fight...Roy likes to fight off the ropes too much and I dont think that style woulda went well with even that faded version of Tyson

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
That is true. Tyson, as the champion, challenged him several times and Hollyfield declined.

It's not true. I posted articles about this. It's clear Tyson's team didn't want the fight. They clearly were holding out for a bigger fight. I'm not saying that Tyson was avoiding the fight but King clearly didn't want the fight. Holyfield even reportedly injured Tyson when they sparred too. He was always going to be a tough fight for Tyson.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
challenged him several times and Hollyfield declined.

This is kind of a silly framing anyway. I don't know if you actually know anything about boxing, but one of the easiest ways to avoid a fight and make it seems like you aren't is to propose a fight on terms that you know the other team won't agree to (location, glove sizes, weight, prize terms, etc)

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody know how much the PPV Sales was for the fight ...?

:idea::idea::idea:

Just using rough math 1.2MIL x $50 = 60 MIL in sales

Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr reportedly drew 1.2 million pay-per-view buys in the United States and it's been dubbed a 'shockingly high number.' Tyson and Jones Jr fought to a draw inside the STAPLES Center over the weekend and it was 'Iron Mike's' first action inside a boxing ring since 2005

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Just using rough math 1.2MIL x $50 = 60 MIL in sales

Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr reportedly drew 1.2 million pay-per-view buys in the United States and it's been dubbed a 'shockingly high number.' Tyson and Jones Jr fought to a draw inside the STAPLES Center over the weekend and it was 'Iron Mike's' first action inside a boxing ring since 2005

dam ..for an exhibition ...:eek2:

imagine if they could have sold seats ...in a LA ringside would have been crazy .....:money:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Where are the lawsuits from all those who bet on one of the fighters to win?

Everyone knows that draw was bullshit.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tenor.gif
q4u2m23.gif

Ft8JMy.gif
r5DXW7.gif

demnH53.gif
tumblr_mapgu5CFCk1qedt5eo1_400.gif
Let them know...at his peak, Roy was in the conversation as greatest of all time....what a boxer...getting caught against Tarver fucked with his head and he was never the same but he still could be arguably the greatest talent in the history of the sport
He is the greatest TALENT... period..brah
Both correct
I think the issue was Roy never adapted. As his speed diminished, he never adjusted his style. He was able to dodge punches at an elite level until his speed started to diminish.

Fighting with your hands down caught up with him. If he had developed a defensive style, I am not sure he looses
I have read some stuff from people who I respect who say Roy's physical speed was fine and that it was his confidence that was shaken and he begun second guessing himself...and thus his mental quickness declined and he began getting caught...they say there were glimpses after Tarver where you could see it was the same old fast Roy
Obviously people get slower with age but their opinion seems to be that it was more mental
Roy was probably the greatest athlete, outside of Ali, boxing had ever seen. But because of that he wasn't necessarily a great boxing technician, like Floyd. And remember a lot of ones athletics is also tied to ones mind. So, for him, once those athletics leave then so did his boxing. But he was a great.....

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Roy was probably the greatest athlete, outside of Ali, boxing had ever seen. But because of that he wasn't necessarily a great boxing technician, like Floyd. And remember a lot of ones athletics is also tied to ones mind. So, for him, once those athletics leave then so did his boxing. But he was a great.....

Very true

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wouldn't say Holyfield ducked Tyson. I think he was just trying to put it off. Remember Holyfield was just moving up in weight and he wasn't ready for Tyson yet. He really hadn't displayed great power at cruiserweight and he had put on a lot of weight, probably not naturally but that's another conversation.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can you link to one of them?
Tyson's loss to Buster Douglas, which he had intended as a tune-up fight for the Holyfield match, derailed those plans. Holyfield was given the first shot at the new champion and won in a third-round knockout. Tyson, meanwhile, entered into a fight with Canadian heavyweight contender Donovan Ruddock with the winner to face Holyfield. However, a controversial ending to the fight, which Tyson won by technical knockout, led to an immediate rematch and further delayed the showdown between Tyson and Holyfield. After Tyson won decisively, a fight was signed for November 18, 1991. An injury and Tyson's subsequent conviction for rape in 1992 indefinitely shelved the fight, as Tyson was sentenced to six years in prison.

Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield - Wikipedia

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
Tyson's loss to Buster Douglas, which he had intended as a tune-up fight for the Holyfield match, derailed those plans. Holyfield was given the first shot at the new champion and won in a third-round knockout. Tyson, meanwhile, entered into a fight with Canadian heavyweight contender Donovan Ruddock with the winner to face Holyfield. However, a controversial ending to the fight, which Tyson won by technical knockout, led to an immediate rematch and further delayed the showdown between Tyson and Holyfield. After Tyson won decisively, a fight was signed for November 18, 1991. An injury and Tyson's subsequent conviction for rape in 1992 indefinitely shelved the fight, as Tyson was sentenced to six years in prison.

Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield - Wikipedia
This says absolutely nothing.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This says absolutely nothing.
Kdogg said Holyfield wanted no part of Tyson before prison, you agreed and said you remember Holyfield not wanting to fight Tyson. Read the paragraph again, it says neither one of you knew what the hell you were talking about.