IMPEACH NOW!

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Declassified Whistleblower Complaint
at Center of Trump Impeachment Push

Is Released

The complaint was filed by an intelligence officer alarmed by details of President Trump’s July 25 calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

GettyImages-1171051343_k7adyr

Saul Loeb/Getty

A redacted, declassified version of the whistleblower complaint at the center of the House’s impeachment inquiry into President Trump was made public on Thursday morning.

Acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire, who is testifying before Congress about the complaint, provided a redacted version of the complaint to lawmakers for the hearing and it was released by the House Intelligence Committee.

A copy of the complaint, which was made by an intelligence officer alarmed by President Donald Trump’s phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, can be read here.

Its release comes a day after the White House put out a partial transcript of the July 25 call—in which Trump reminded Zelensky that America does “a lot” for Ukraine before blatantly asking the Ukrainian leader to do him a “favor” and investigate former vice president Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

Some vague details about the whistleblower complaint began trickling out late Wednesday, with The New York Times reporting that it described several White House officials as witnesses to alleged presidential misconduct and objected to the White House’s handling of the call records.

Sources cited by The Times said Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson interviewed witnesses after the complaint. A Justice Department memo made public this week said Atkinson concluded that “statements made by the President during the call could be viewed as soliciting a foreign campaign contribution in violation of the campaign-finance laws.”

The DOJ memo said that the whistleblower did not listen in on the July 25 call but reported hearing from White House officials that Trump “had made statements that the complainant viewed as seeking to pressure that leader to take an official action to help the President’s 2020 re-election campaign.

After receiving the complaint on Aug. 12, Atkinson conducted a “preliminary review” and found “some indicia of an arguable political bias on the part of the Complainant in favor of a rival political candidate,” the memo said. But Atkinson concluded that the complaint’s allegations “nonetheless appeared credible.”

The complaint was given to Maguire, just weeks into his tenure as acting intelligence chief, and he declined to issue a report on it to Congress. But Atkinson alerted the House Intelligence Committee of the complaint’s existence, and it subpoenaed Maguire for it.

At that point the contents of the complaint were publicly unknown, but in the coming days it was reported first that it involved Ukraine, and then that it was triggered by the July 25 call with Zelensky.

The call has fueled concerns Trump intentionally withheld $250 million in U.S. aid to Ukraine as leverage in his push for Ukrainian authorities to reopen an investigation into Biden, his potential political opponent in 2020, and investigate claims Ukrainian officials worked to help Robert Mueller.

“I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it,” Trump said to Zelensky in the call. “Whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great.”

The call also turbocharged calls for impeachment. While many Democrats have been calling for impeachment proceedings against Trump ever since the release of the Mueller Report, the whistleblower complaint proved to be the tipping point for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who accused Trump of a “betrayal” of his oath of office in announcing a formal impeachment inquiry on Tuesday.

While Trump apparently sought to stifle Democratic criticism by releasing the transcript of his call with Zelensky, even some Republicans seemed to think that plan backfired.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) called the transcript “troubling in the extreme,” while Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) told reporters “there’s obviously a lot that’s very troubling there” after viewing the whistleblower complaint.

Trump has admitted both to initially withholding aid and urging the Ukrainian president to look into Hunter Biden, who was an adviser to a Ukrainian firm, he has insisted there was no wrongdoing and no “quid pro quo.”

House Republicans were apparently concerned enough to join Democrats late Wednesday in voting 421-0 for the passage of a non-binding resolution demanding that the Trump administration release the whistleblower complaint.

Those on the House Intelligence Committee who have already seen the complaint have suggested that it offers a grim outlook for Trump.

“I found the allegations deeply disturbing. I also found them very credible,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the chair of the House Intelligence Committee, told reporters late Wednesday.

“What this courageous individual has done is exposed serious wrongdoing. I think it a travesty that this complaint was withheld as long as it was, there was simply no basis to keep this from the committee,” he said, adding that the complaint “provides information for the committee to follow up with other witnesses and documents.”

The complaint’s release comes as the man who initially refused to give it to Congress—acting DNA Maguire—is due to appear before the House Intelligence Committee to answer lawmakers’ questions about it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...t-at-center-of-inquiry-is-released?ref=scroll

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Ah, we can dream. Wouldn't it be fun to watch the Trumper's little heads explode?

71102002_3069933649766335_1466364691700776960_o.png

giphy.gif

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
So the Mango-in-Chief tries a bit of under the counter corrupt election nudging, and he can't even get the dates right!

Ukraine agency says allegations against Burisma cover period before Biden joined
safe_image.php

Polina Ivanova, Pavel Polityuk
4 MIN READ

KIEV (Reuters) - A Ukrainian investigation of gas company Burisma is focused solely on activity that took place before Hunter Biden, son of former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, was hired to sit on its board, Ukraine’s anti-corruption investigation agency said.

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy listens during a bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York City, New York, U.S., September 25, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst
Separately, a senior official at the General Prosecutor’s office said that neither of the Bidens had been called for questioning in relation to this investigation.

Ukraine would open an investigation into the period when Hunter Biden was involved with Burisma if there were compelling new testimony in Ukraine, Nazar Kholodnytsky, the head of anti-corruption investigations at Ukraine’s Prosecutor’s Office, said on Novoye Vremya radio.

But it could not do so on its own initiative, based solely on comments currently being made in the United States, he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump asked Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in July to probe whether Joe Biden tried to block an investigation into his son’s relationship with the company, which was drilling for gas in Ukraine.

RELATED COVERAGE
Trump’s intervention is the subject of an impeachment investigation by the U.S. House of Representatives, with Democrats saying the Republican president was trying to push a foreign leader to smear Joe Biden, who is seeking to run against Trump at presidential elections in 2020.

The National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) said an investigation was ongoing into permits granted by officials at the Ministry of Ecology for the use of natural resources to a string of companies managed by Burisma.

But it said the period under investigation was 2010-2012, and noted that this was before the company hired Hunter Biden.

“Changes to the board of Burisma Limited, which are currently the object of international attention, took place only in May 2014, and therefore are not and never were the subject of (the anti-corruption bureau’s) investigation,” the bureau’s statement said.

Hunter Biden was a director on Burisma’s board from 2014-2018, according to documents filed by the company in Cyprus, where it is registered.

ADVERTISEMENT

The investigation into Burisma covers a period when Ukraine was governed by a Kremlin ally, Viktor Yanukovich. Burisma hired Hunter Biden after Yanukovich was toppled in a popular revolt in 2014 and replaced by a pro-Western government.

At the time, many Ukrainian firms were seeking to distance themselves from their relationships with the previous, pro-Moscow authorities, and some invited Western public figures to sit on their boards.

The NABU’s investigation related to the 2010-2012 period is not particularly active, Kholodnytsky added.

“At the moment, this case is up in the air, so to speak. Up in the air means that there is no active investigative work ongoing. At the moment, detectives and prosecutors do not understand what they are supposed to be investigating,” Kholodnytsky said.

Trump wants Ukraine to investigate the Biden family, accusing Joe Biden of strongarming the Ukrainian authorities, including the then President Petro Poroshenko, to fire General Prosecutor Viktor Shokin in 2016 to protect his son.

Shokin says he was fired to prevent him from investigating Hunter Biden, which the Biden family strongly denies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kholodnytsky said that were Poroshenko to make a statement about being pressured into removing Shokin from his post, then an investigation must be launched.

However, he said, neither his agency nor the NABU had received such a statement thus far.

Likewise, he said his department couldn’t initiate an investigation based solely on comments it had heard from the U.S. side.

“If there was pressure from an official of a foreign country then,

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Eric Ginsberg They’re daring us. They know how bad it is. The whole point is to destabilize America and make us doubt the validity of our electoral and democratic system. When we are weak and fight amongst ourselves, Russia has elbow room to expand its power and influence. This was always Russia’s plan.

Kremlin says it hopes U.S. would not release Trump-Putin calls, like it did with Ukraine
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that "we would like to hope that it wouldn't come to that in our relations."

Trump speaks with Putin in first publicly-revealed conversation since Mueller report
MAY 3, 201901:36

Sept. 27, 2019, 6:56 AM EDT
By Associated Press

MOSCOW — Russia has voiced hope that the U.S. administration wouldn't publish private conversations between the two nations' presidents, like it did with Ukraine.

Recommended

DEMOCRATS VS. TRUMPThere's no evidence for Trump's Biden-Ukraine accusations. What really happened?

IMPEACHMENT INQUIRYHunter Biden 'did not violate anything,' former Ukrainian prosecutor says
The rough transcript of Trump's call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy released by the White House Wednesday shows that Trump urged Ukraine to "look into" his Democratic political rival Joe Biden. The July 25 call is now the focus of a U.S. impeachment probe.

Asked Friday if Moscow is worried that the White House could similarly publish transcripts of Trump's calls with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that "we would like to hope that it wouldn't come to that in our relations, which are already troubled by a lot of problems."

He noted that the publication of the Trump-Zelenskiy call was "quite unusual."

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
House subpoenas Pompeo in impeachment inquiry

The House Committee on Foreign Affairs subpoenaed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday, demanding documents related to President Trump's interactions with Ukraine's president. The subpoena, a part of the House's impeachment inquiry, also calls for depositions from other State Department officials, including Ambassador Kurt Volker, who reportedly coordinated with lawyer Rudy Giuliani to meet with Ukrainian officials. The House committee requested documents from Pompeo in early September, warning if he did not comply, a subpoena would come next. A newly-publicized whistleblower complaint alleges wrongdoing stemming from Trump's phone calls with Volodymyr Zelensky; the House is now escalating oversight efforts as it pursues an impeachment inquiry related to the allegations.

Source: Politico, CNN

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
SNL opener: Alec Baldwin’s Trump begs for impeachment help

Even fixer Ray Donovan can’t help President Trump with impeachment.

Alec Baldwin brought back his impersonation of Donald Trump to open the new season of Saturday Night Live — with the president desperately calling everyone for help with his impeachment inquiry.

The cold-opener started with Trump calling obvious political allies, with Kate McKinnon as publicity-seeking lawyer Rudy Giuliani, Aidy Bryant as Attorney General William Barr and Beck Bennett as “the perfect stooge,” Vice President Pence, who was told Ukraine is “his mess.”

After chatting to sons Eric and Don Jr., Baldwin’s Trump even called Kim Jong-un, played by SNL newcomer Bowen Yang, who told him he should send his whistleblower to the bottom of a big ocean.

“I wish my country was as cool as your country,” Trump sighed in reply.

Baldwin’s Trump then called his ‘urbans’ — Chris Redd as Kanye West and Kenan Thompson as Don King.

Tekashi 6ix9ine who is in custody in New York as part of a gang racketeering trial.

“I don’t think we can be fam no more fam,” ‘Kanye’ tells him, while even King admits, “This whole impeachment thing is hurting our brand.”

Trump finally makes the call to someone who can make people disappear — with the screen cutting to actor Liev Schreiber.

“Is this Ray Donovan, the fixer? The guy who takes care of stuff, wink-wink?” Trump asked.

“I told you, Mr. President, Ray Donovan is a fictional character,” the Showtime star told Baldwin. “I’m Liev Schreiber, the actor.”

After asking to be put through to John Wick, with Liev pointing out Keanu Reeves’ movie character is also fake, Baldwin’s Trump finally asked, “What about Liam Neeson?”

“Oh — actually Liam might do it,” Schreiber replied, with Trump smiling, “I’ll get him. Problem solved.”

CNN’s Impeachment Town Hall.

IMPEACHMENT-MANIA
Woody Harrelson Debuts Hilariously Creepy Joe Biden Impression in SNL Premiere
The acclaimed actor (and the night’s host) stepped in to debut his entertaining impersonation of the Democratic frontrunner.

Marlow Stern
Senior Entertainment Editor

Updated 09.29.19 1:23AM ET / Published 09.29.19 12:46AM ET
Screen_Shot_2019-09-29_at_12.25.22_AM_nya7zf

NBC

After a cameo-filled cold open featuring Alec Baldwin’s President Trump and Kate McKinnon’s Rudy Giuliani freaking out over impeachment, Saturday Night Live’s 45th season premiere took their send-up of impeachment-mania one step further, airing a 10-minute mock CNN Impeachment Town Hall.

The panel, according to CNN’s Erin Burnett (Cecily Strong), served as an example of how the Democratic candidates have “united together and decided to handle impeachment the only way they know how: with a muddled, 10-person town hall debate.”

There was SNL newcomer Bowen Yang—the first-ever cast member of Asian descent—as Andrew Yang, sporting a tight shirt and imitating the candidate’s lack of neck. “I’m literally giving free money to people and I’m still in sixth place!” he exclaimed. Another newbie, Chloe Fineman, appeared as Marianne Williamson—live via astro-projection from outer space.

00:01

10:00

Then came the “actual candidates,” including Kate McKinnon’s Elizabeth Warren and—yes!—Larry David’s Bernie Sanders, who exclaimed, “Hello, everyone! I’m so excited to be back and ruin things a second time!”

Host Woody Harrelson debuted his Joe Biden impersonation—ridiculous capped teeth and all. “There’s no need to worry anymore: Daddy’s here, America! I see you, I hear you, I sniff you, and I hug you from behind.”

He added, “Now, as I ask anytime I walk into a room: Where am I? And what the hell is going on here?”

And, last but certainly not least, the great Maya Rudolph cameoed as Kamala Harris. In her pitch-perfect tone, she exclaimed, “Now, Erin, that little girl you just introduced? That little girl is me. Just checking because, I’m not just that little girl. I’m also America’s cool aunt. A fun aunt. I call that a ‘Funt.’ The kind of Funt that will give you weed but then arrest you for having weed. Can I win the presidency? Probably not. Can I successfully seduce a much younger man? You better funting believe it.”

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Democrats see impeachment as landmine for Republican Senate

Vulnerable GOP incumbents will face a tough vote on whether to stick with Trump if an impeachment trial lands in the Senate.

190927-murphy-gty-773.jpg

“It'll be interesting to see what happens when Republicans come back from this [October] recess," said Sen. Chris Murphy. | Mark Wilson/Getty Images

Politico
By BURGESS EVERETT
and JAMES ARKIN
09/30/2019

Democrats insist that their march toward impeaching President Donald Trump is simply about doing the right thing. But a growing number of them see a real political upside, too: It might help them win back the Senate.

Senate Democrats are growing increasingly giddy at the prospect of seeing a half-dozen vulnerable senators squirm for weeks and months about Trump’s behavior before eventually being forced to go on the record to convict or acquit Trump if he’s impeached by the House. While conventional wisdom holds that trying to remove the president could cost House Democrats in battleground seats that Trump won in 2016, there’s a sense in the party that it could improve Democrats’ bid to seize the Senate.

“Voters are going to see this as a stinking fish. I don't think voters are going to want their member of Congress or Senate to be up here defending the president's actions,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.). “It'll be interesting to see what happens when Republicans come back from this [October] recess."

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) argued, “We need to do the right thing regardless of who’s benefiting,” before noting that there is an outsize number of Republican seats up for grabs next year.

A Senate trial “will make it make it very difficult for them to choose,” added Stabenow, the No. 4 Senate Democrat. “If I were them in many of the states where people are running, I certainly would, politically, be concerned about taking that vote.”

Democrats need to net at least three seats to win back the Senate, provided they also win back the presidency. And they have several opportunities to do so, but it will mean winning at least some races in states Trump carried in 2016.

Democrats consider the most vulnerable Republican senators to be Cory Gardner of Colorado, Martha McSally of Arizona, Susan Collins of Maine and Thom Tillis of North Carolina, with several others viewed as reach-states that could become increasingly competitive or fall off the map altogether depending, in part, on Trump’s popularity.

It’ll be a very problematic vote in a lot of states,” said Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). “Public sentiment has shifted. The polling numbers suggest much stronger support for pursuing an impeachment inquiry.”

Republicans largely dismiss the notion that impeachment poses a political threat.

"The idea that this is a political winner for Democrats is total fiction. Having three of the most liberal senators say differently doesn’t make it true," said Kevin McLaughlin, executive director of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. "This strikes me as nothing more than an attempt by liberal members to bully others in their party."

Some GOP senators and the Senate Republican campaign arm have also fundraised off impeachment to rile up the conservative base. And so far, most vulnerable Republicans are striking a defiant tone.

“To me it’s not a hard vote. The facts lead you where they lead. What I’ve seen to this point makes me wonder if it’s going to be anything other than a political exercise,” Tillis said. “Having the Democrats on record for a frivolous activity on an impeachment vote may be a hard vote for them.”

National polls show an uptick in support for an impeachment inquiry amid the Ukraine firestorm, but how that will translate to the politics of an impeachment trial in the Senate won’t be clear for months.

FULL STORY: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/09/30/senate-democrats-impeachment-2020-006900

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Chris Wallace isn't buying the bullshit.

And, maybe the people aren’t either:

Poll shows voters increasingly supportive of Trump's impeachment

A Quinnipiac national surveyreleased Monday showed that 47 percent of voters believe Trump should be impeached and removed from office, while 47 percent said he shouldn't be.

A Quinnipiac poll released five days earlier on Sept. 25 showed a 20-point gap, with 37 percent saying Trump should be impeached and removed, and 57 percent saying he shouldn't.

In the last week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced the opening of an official impeachment inquiry into Trump, and a publicized whistleblower complaint alleged Trump abused his power in office by pushing for Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden's son. The poll found majority support for the impeachment inquiry, though 56 percent believe it's on the basis of partisan politics.

Source: Quinnipiac University

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

Watch: Trump supporters chase Elizabeth Warren through Nevada airport
By Ebony Bowden

October 2, 2019 | 11:27pm | Updated

Nevada GOP

✔@NVGOP

Nevadans greeted @ewarren in Reno and let them know exactly how they feel about the Democrats’ despicable attempt to impeach @realDonaldTrump and undo the 2016 election.

Join us and FIGHT BACK. Tell the Left to Impeach THIS
27a1.png
http://bit.ly/ImpeachThis

6:55 PM - Oct 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

7,069 people are talking about this

Welcome to Reno, Elizabeth Warren!

A scrum of Trump-loving Nevadans chased the Democratic presidential wannabe through a Reno airport on Wednesday — letting her know exactly what they thought of a Trump impeachment inquiry.

In the video shared to Twitter by the Nevada Republican Party, a dozen protesters can be seen swarming the Massachusetts senator, yelling “don’t impeach” as she legs it through the terminal.

The heart-pounding clip lasts for 90 seconds, with Warren and her three staffers far outnumbered by the incensed mob who pursued her from her gate all the way to a waiting car.

“Socialism is a true form of insanity,” one heckler hollered at Warren, who maintained her composure and continued smiling and waving — at one point appearing to say, “Nice to see you!” to no one.

also tweeted the clip on Wednesday night, writing: “Welcome to Reno ⁦@ewarren! This is @teamtrump country!!”

Warren was in Nevada for a Wednesday night town hall in Carson City, the state’s capital.

She is making a big push ahead of Nevada’s influential presidential caucuses.

Warren’s camp is opening six offices in the state, according to a Politico report from August, while a Suffolk University poll published last week showed Warren was within striking distance of front-runner Joe Biden in Nevada.
giphy.gif

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
tie Ukraine aid to Trump's demands

House Democrats released a tranche of text messages late Thursday showing that President Trump's top three government envoys to Ukraine believed Trump was withholding support and military aid from Kyiv until new President Volodymyr Zelensky publicly committed to investigating the Biden family and a debunked conspiracy theory that Ukraine — not Russia — meddled in the 2016 election.

The texts also make clear that Zelensky was aware of these conditions. The three diplomats — former special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker, U.S. European Union Ambassador Gordon Sondland, and U.S. charges d'affaires Bill Taylor — at first informed Zelensky he had to publicly commit to investigating the 2016 election and Burisma, a gas company that hired Hunter Biden, to get a coveted meeting with Trump. When that fell through, they suggested military aid was on the line.

Source: The New York Times, The Washington Post

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
There is clear collusion with Steve Bannon and the Trump campaign to not only disrupt our election process, but also to leverage a corrupt, partisan, and out-of-control FBI.

Dan Wasserman Copyright 2019 Tribune Content AgencyI’m

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
SUBSCRIBE
White House Declares War on Impeachment Inquiry, Alleging Effort to Undo Trump’s Election

merlin_141061374_e1a856da-2ec9-4640-8ae0-347383befa4b-jumbo.jpg

President Trump with the American ambassador to the European Union, Gordon D. Sondland, in Brussels last year.CreditDoug Mills/The New York Times

The New York Times
By Nicholas Fandos,
Peter Baker, Michael
S. Schmidt
and Maggie
Haberman

Oct. 8, 2019

WASHINGTON — The White House declared war on the House impeachment inquiry on Tuesday, announcing that it would not cooperate with what it called an illegitimate and partisan effort “to overturn the results of the 2016 election” of Donald J. Trump.

In a letter to House Democratic leaders, the White House said the inquiry violated precedent and President Trump’s due process rights in such an egregious way that neither he nor the executive branch would willingly provide testimony or documents, a daring move that sets the stage for a constitutional clash.

“Your unprecedented actions have left the president with no choice,” said the eight-page letter signed by Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel. “In order to fulfill his duties to the American people, the Constitution, the Executive Branch, and all future occupants of the Office of the presidency, President Trump and his administration cannot participate in your partisan and unconstitutional inquiry under these circumstances.”​

The letter came hours after the White House blocked the interview of a key witness, Gordon D. Sondland, the United States ambassador to the European Union, just hours before he was to appear on Capitol Hill

Mr. Trump, defiant as investigators dig further into his efforts to pressure Ukraine to find dirt on his political rivals, ridiculed the inquiry as spurious, signaling even before the release of the top White House lawyer’s letter that he planned to stonewall Congress, an act that could itself build the case for charging him in an impeachment proceeding with obstruction.

“I would love to send Ambassador Sondland, a really good man and great American, to testify,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter Tuesday morning around the time Mr. Sondland was to appear, “but unfortunately he would be testifying before a totally compromised kangaroo court, where Republican’s rights have been taken away.”

Earlier on Tuesday, House Democrats said they would regard the president’s stance as obstruction. Representative Adam B. Schiff, Democrat of California and chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said the administration’s refusal to allow Mr. Sondland to appear was “strong evidence” of “obstruction of the constitutional functions of Congress, a coequal branch of government.”

Mr. Schiff told reporters that the State Department was also withholding text messages Mr. Sondland had sent on a private device that were “deeply relevant” to the inquiry. He later indicated the House would issue a subpoena for his testimony and the messages.

“The American people have the right to know if the president is acting in their interests, in the nation’s interests with an eye toward our national security, and not in his narrow personal, political interests,” Mr. Schiff told reporters. “By preventing us from hearing from this witness and obtaining these documents, the president and secretary of state are taking actions that prevent us from getting the facts needed to protect the nation’s security.”

The decision to block Mr. Sondland from being interviewed was delivered at the last minute, after the ambassador had already flown to Washington from Europe, and lawmakers had returned from a two-week recess to observe the questioning.

Trump administration lawyers and aides have spent days puzzling over how to respond to the impeachment inquiry, and the abrupt move suggested that the president’s team has calculated that he is better off risking the House’s ire — and even an impeachment article focused on the obstruction — than setting a precedent for cooperation with an investigation they have strenuously argued is illegitimate.

The strategy, if it holds, carries substantial risk to the White House. Privately, some Republicans had urged the White House to allow witnesses like Mr. Sondland to appear, in order to deflate Democratic accusations of a cover-up and offer a public rationale for the president’s actions toward Ukraine. Now, some Republicans worry, Democrats have more fodder to argue publicly that Mr. Trump has something to hide.

Mr. Schiff said the Intelligence Committee, working with both the Foreign Affairs and the Oversight and Reform panels, would continue its work regardless. But beyond issuing a subpoena for Mr. Sondland, the chairman did not detail how he might seek to crank up pressure on the White House to comply, and the standoff may create a quandary for Democrats who had hoped to move quickly in extracting crucial evidence and decide in short order whether to push forward on impeaching Mr. Trump.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it was too early to know whether Democrats might draft an article of impeachment based on the obstruction issue, akin to one adopted by the House Judiciary Committee in the 1970s impeachment proceedings against Richard M. Nixon.

“The president is obstructing Congress from getting the facts that we need,” Ms. Pelosi told reporters in Seattle, where she was holding an unrelated event. “It is an abuse of power for him to act in this way.”

Mr. Sondland has become enmeshed in the burgeoning saga of how the president sought to push the Ukrainians to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., his son and Democrats. Although Ukraine is not in the European Union, Mr. Trump instructed Mr. Sondland — a wealthy hotelier and contributor to his campaign — to take a lead in his administration’s dealings with the country.

Democrats consider him a key witness to what transpired, including whether the president sought to use a $391 million package of security assistance and the promise of a White House meeting as bargaining chips to essentially bully President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine into digging up dirt on the Bidens and other Democrats.

Mr. Trump’s allies on Capitol Hill rushed to his defense on Tuesday and condemned Mr. Schiff and the Democrats for running what they described as an unfair process, though they made clear they thought Mr. Sondland would have been a helpful witness for the president’s case.

“We were looking forward to hearing from Ambassador Sondland,” said Representative Jim Jordan of Ohio, the top Republican on the Oversight and Reform Committee, adding that Republicans believed Mr. Sondland would “reinforce exactly” what lawmakers and aides heard least week from Kurt D. Volker, the former American special envoy to Ukraine. Mr. Volker told investigators he knew of nothing improper between the two countries, although he turned over a trove of documents that raised further questions.

“But we understand exactly why the administration, exactly why the State Department has chosen to say, ‘Look if it’s going to be this kind of process …,’ ” Mr. Jordan added.

And in the Senate, Mr. Trump’s allies shifted into high gear to orchestrate a counteroffensive on his behalf. Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina and the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he would invite Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer who was deeply involved in the pressure campaign on Ukraine, to testify before his panel. Mr. Giuliani led the push to enlist the Ukrainians to help investigate the business dealings of the Bidens and a conspiracy theory that Ukraine meddled in the 2016 election.

“Given the House of Representatives’ behavior, it is time for the Senate to inquire about corruption and other improprieties involving Ukraine,” Mr. Graham said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...itics/sondland-trump-ukraine-impeach.amp.html

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Trump and Guiliani Won’t Sleep Well Tonight
Sheila MarkinOctober 11, 2019
bsleep.jpg

We are getting multiple sources of evidence that will eventually bring down this president and this administration. Republicans! Get on the right side of history before it is too late.
The US Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York held a press conference on Thursday, not something they usually do without good cause, to announce an indictment of four men who were involved in a scheme to use a phony business (strawman) to funnel foreign money into American political campaigns in violation of campaign finance laws and FEC rules. Lev Parnas, and Igor Fruman are two of the four named co-defendants in the indictment out of SDNY. These two men are Ukrainians with a close connection to Rudy Guiliani. Lev and Igor had gotten invitations to appear before the House Intelligence Committee- one of them was supposed to show up on the very day he got arrested. Instead, they had lunch with Rudy Guiliani at a Trump Hotel and then sped off for Dulles Airport with one-way tickets out of the country in their hot little hands. They were nabbed at Dulles before boarding the plane.

The indictment is mainly focused on their use of a false business entity to funnel money in violation of campaign finance laws. Money flowed into a Trump super PAC and into the pockets of a certain Congressman, Pete Sessions, to elicit his help to get the highly respected, veteran Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, removed from her post by the State Department.

Reporters following this breaking story have learned that these two men were working hand in glove with Rudy Guiliani’s shadow foreign policy campaign in Ukraine. They are similar to the “plumbers” of Watergate. The plumbers of Watergate fame were “a secret unit tasked with digging up dirt on Pentagon Papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg. The Plumbers went on to commit crimes for the Committee for the Re-Election of the President, including the Watergate burglaries.”

Similarly, these two Ukrainian men were part of a team of people tasked with advancing Trump’s corrupt political personal interests in Ukraine. These are the same corrupt interests coming to light in the impeachment inquiry. What is emerging here looks to be a criminal enterprise to get help Trump get re-elected that was operating on numerous fronts. One goal of these Ukrainians was to find a way to slime and dirty up Joe Biden and his son. Another was to get Marie Yovanovitch, the squeaky clean Ambassador to Ukraine, removed from her post because she was interfering with the Trump/Guiliani protection campaign.

The most important aspect of the SDNY indictment is that this is an “open”, “still developing” investigation into a conspiracy. In other words, there’s more coming, folks. Stay tuned.

Why are these guys likely to be helpful in getting us the truth? Because they are facing jail time, and there is nothing like pending jail time to get people to suddenly want to get on the right side of history. In other words, we can expect that they might want to make a deal.

The U S Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York (SDNY) has a corruption unit that prides itself on being a force for truth and justice that really takes their mission seriously. The unit takes down corrupt actors and vigorously pursues the truth wherever it may lead. Superman comes to mind. This unit has been effective even in the age of Trump. This was the unit that prosecuted Michael Cohen and indicted Jeffrey Epstein. It is led by Geoffrey Berman, who is the U S Attorney in the Southern District of NY, and who is also a Trump appointee. Many people have been worried that Berman might not pursue justice in the age of Trump if the players getting arrested were close to Trump or his allies. It seems like Berman is not cowed by Bill Barr or Donald Trump. At least not so far.

What we can tell from this SDNY indictment is that Parnas and Fruman were funneling Russian money to an American Representative in Congress, Republican Pete Sessions, (and another as yet unnamed lawmaker), to get him to lobby for the removal of the Ukrainian Ambassador, Maria Yovanovitch. Note that the removal of that same Ambassador was mentioned by Trump himself in his phone call with Zelensky. He spoke about how she was going to be “going through some things”. Unspecified things. Very mob boss kind of talk from our Mafia Godfather president. In Trump’s call with Zelensky, Trump seemed to be urging Zelensky to say it was Ukraine that wanted her to be removed. This indicates a nexus between Guiliani and Trump and the effort to oust Yovanovitch.

Yovanovitch testified before the House Intell committee today. This matters a lot. She is still on the payroll of the State Department and the White House has taken the stance that NO ONE should testify before the House. She defied the White House and showed up. What she told the House Intell Committee was consistent with what we are learning from reporters. She told us that she ran afoul of Rudy Guiliani and Trump in Ukraine when she spoke out against a corruption in Ukraine. She is a veteran diplomat with an impeccable record. Guiliani wanted her out. She was getting in the way of his corrupt campaign to help Trump because she would not play along. Guiliani and others launched a smear campaign against her. And then she was abruptly removed from her post by the State Department without cause.

It is becoming clearer that many of Trump’s inner circle are hiding things from us that they know about and that many have been going along with what is looking more and more like a Trump enterprise to get him re-elected by engaging in dirty tricks and criminal acts. Very Nixonian.

Trump has succeeded in getting people in cabinet posts who will look the other way or, worse, help him in these paranoid enterprises. Pompeo at the State Department is one of them. He was one of the dozen or so people listening in on the call between Trump and Zelensky. At first, Pompeo feigned ignorance about that call when he spoke with reporters. Then reporters learned he was actually ON THE CALL listening in! Caught red handed in his dissembling, Pompeo then confirmed that yes, he was on the call. The House has said (appropriately) that Pompeo should therefore recuse himself from making any decisions about who should testify from the State Department in the impeachment inquiry. Pompeo himself could be charged with a crime. He is only one of the many cabinet members who may be caught up in this growing impeachment morass.

Barr is compromised as well. We know that he tried to deep-six the whistleblower complaint in numerous ways and numerous times. Barr should recuse himself. He won’t but he should.

Rick Perry is another. He has been subpoenaed by the House to turn over documents. He was the guy who went to Ukraine in place of VP Pence when Trump was trying to impress upon Zelensky that he would NOT get his money for military protection UNLESS he played ball with Trump’s goal of sliming Biden. Perry had reportedly been very active in Ukraine trying to get sweet lucrative deals for himself and donors with Ukrainian gas companies. Rick Perry is resigning from office. Trump has been trying to lay blame on Perry as use him as a fall guy.

If you think this whole thing smells bad, you are right. The connections between these two Ukrainian mopes, Guiliani, and Trump and many others in this administration who went along with Trump are shockingly reminiscent of Watergate. There are more and more people getting mired in the quicksand. These two Ukrainian “plumbers” are in the muck up to their necks and they might be very happy to rat out Guiliani and others because they are facing jail time. These guys and others are eventually going to tell us a lot about what Trump and Guiliani have been up to.

The good news is that we now have two sources of truthful information: the House Intell Committee and the SDNY criminal case. As the investigation picks up steam in the House, many more people with knowledge are going to come out of the woodwork and tell us the truth out of self-interest. The courts are helping. There was a 2 to 1 ruling by the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit upholding Congress’s broad investigative powers and soundly rejecting the argument that Trump’s lawyers are making. Mazars, Trump’s accounting firm, must turn over 8 years of financial documents including Trump’s taxes. That ruling supports the broad power of the House to subpoena and obtain documents to satisfy their oversight role.

The tide is turning. First there is a trickle, then the flow of information that gets bigger as people calculate what is best for themselves and their legacies.

Congress will be back in session next week. We are going to hear from witnesses who will tell us more about this Trump/Guiliani enterprise to get Trump re-elected by using a shadow campaign in Ukraine outside the State Department to get dirt on opponents.

Fiona Hill will be testifying. She is no longer at the State Dept but she is known to be a straight shooter and she was there for many months before leaving government service, so she knows some things. Ambassador Gordon Sondland says he will be testifying in response to a subpoena from the House despite the White House’s attempt to prevent him from appearing. The House will be very interested in the conversation he had with the president after Sondland realized that his text message communications he was engaged in were incriminating. Most likely, Trump gave him the talking point to be sure to put in his text reply “there was no quid pro quo.” Nice try. There was. Others from the State Department seem to be willing to testify about what they have been seeing and hearing.

It is time for the Republicans to get on the right side of history. This is the moment, as George Conway, Kelly Ann Conway’s husband has been saying this for some time. Conway was joined by over a dozen conservative Republicans calling for Trump be impeached “expeditiously”. There are also rumors that Mitt Romney is building a coalition of the willing to defy Trump and possibly vote to convict him in the Senate.

This is getting very very interesting.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
This rep breaks down everything you need to know about the House impeachment inquiry into Trump and what it means for you

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Here's the Deadline Countdown for Every Trump Impeachment Subpoena Issued So Far

Former Vice President Al Gore Says President Trump’s Conviction After Impeachment Is Unlikely — But Not Impossible
Al Gore told former TIME editor-in-chief Nancy Gibbs that he thinks that, while unlikely, there’s a possibility that the Senate could vote to convict and remove President Donald Trump from office if he’s impeached in the House of Representatives.

Pause
Mute

Current Time 0:23
/
Duration 1:52
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Here's the Deadline Countdown for Every Trump Impeachment Subpoena Issued So Far

Fullscreen
YOU MIGHT LIKE

THE BIGGEST MOMENTS FROM THE TIME 100 HEALTH SUMMIT
SECURING OUR FUTURE: NANCY GIBBS INTERVIEWS AL GORE
FORMER TRUMP OPPONENT AND EX-OHIO GOV. KASICH SUPPORTS IMPEACHMENT
BY CHRIS WILSON
OCTOBER 18, 2019
If Congress drops a subpoena and no one responds, does it have an impact?
At present, six of the eight major subpoenas that House Democrats have issued to Trump administration officials and departments have gone unanswered past the deadline set in the request, with the clock rapidly ticking down on the final two, which are due Friday, Oct. 18.
Subpoenas can both compel an individual to testify and/or turn over documents, as is the case with U.S. Ambassador to the E.U. Gordon Sonderland, who testified in a closed-door hearing Thursday but has not provided any requested material. This article follows only document requests.
TIME is tracking each of these subpoenas and the original documents behind them, which you can view below. Even if they never produce a single document, reading these requests for information offers a sort of flipbook of the investigation as it has unfolded. The deadlines update each time the page is loaded.
Day
of Impeachment Proceedings
Mike Pompeo
Secretary of State
Issued: September 27, 2019

Due: October 5, 2019
DAYS
In their initial six-item request to Pompeo for documents on Sept. 9, 2019, House investigators asked for any document, in any format, relating specifically to the now-infamous July 25 call between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
The letter cites several individuals by name, including former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, Hunter Biden and Rudy Giuliani, who gets his own bullet point.
LETTER DOCUMENTS*
* The documents requested in the subpoena were first outlined in a Sept. 9 letter on page 4.
Rudy Giuliani
Personal attorney to Donald Trump
Issued: September 30, 2019

Due: October 16, 2019
DAYS
The list of documents requested from Rudy Giuliani is far longer than Pompeo's list, spanning 23 bullet points and reading like a Who's Who of Ukrainian political and energy sector heavyweights; many American officials are also mentioned.
Around 40 individuals are cited by name, from high-profile U.S. officials like Secretary of Energy Rick Perry, Attorney General William Barr and Former Special Representative for Ukraine Kurt Volker, as well as many relatively unknown aides to either the former or current Ukrainian President.
The schedule also mentions several key dates in addition to the July 25 call:
Trump's congratulatory call to Volodymyr Zelensky after the Ukrainian politician's April 21 victory
Volodymyr Zelensky's inauguration on May 20, which neither Giuliani nor Pence attended
A May 23 meeting at the White House involving Perry, Trump, Volker, U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland and others
An August 2 meeting between Giuliani and Zelensky adviser Andriy Yermak in Madrid
A potential meeting between Trump and Zelensky in Poland in September 2019, including Trump's decision to send Vice President Mike Pence instead
LETTER DOCUMENTS
Mick Mulvaney
Acting White House Chief of Staff
Issued: October 4, 2019

Due: October 19, 2019
HOURS
In addition to many of the individuals and events mentioned in Giuliani's subpoena, the Mulvaney subpoena was the first to mention several high-ranking American officials, including Senior White House Advisor Jared Kushner, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Former National Security Advisor John Bolton.
The schedule also introduces several other documents and events:
A "Memorandum of Telephone Conversation" detailed in the July 25 call
A July 10 meeting at the White House between Ukrainian officials Andriy Yermak and Oleksander Danylyuk and Energy Secretary Rick Perry, John Bolton, Kurt Volker and Gordon Sondland. The request alludes to "the proposed or actual participation of President Trump and Vice President Pence in the meeting."
All interaction between Trump and Zelensky during the United Nations General Assembly in September 2019
LETTER DOCUMENTS*
* The requested documents were first described in an Oct. 2 letter from the late Committee on Oversight and Reform Chairman Elijah E. Cummings to other committee members.
Mark Esper
Secretary of Defense
Issued: October 7, 2019

DAYS
The subpoena addressed to Defense Secretary Mark Esper references several new communications between U.S. and Ukrainian officials:
A September 17 call between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Ukrainian Foreign Minister Vadym Prystayko
A September 18 call between Vice President Mike Pence and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky
Documents involving the names of all officials attending interagency meetings related to Ukrainian foreign assistance. The request specifically references meetings on July 18, July 23, July 26 and July 31, dating to both before and after the July 25 call
LETTER DOCUMENTS
Russell Vought
Acting Director, Office of Management and Budget
Issued: October 7, 2019

DAYS
This brief, nine-point subpoena, addressed to Acting Director of the Office of Management and Budget Russell Vought in lieu of the actual director, Mick Mulvaney, who is also the Acting Chief of Staff, mainly concerns all the bureaucratic machinations behind the delayed aide package to Ukraine, which was released on September 11.
LETTER DOCUMENTS
Gordan Sondland
U.S. Ambassador to the European Union
Issued: October 8, 2019

Due: October 15, 2019
Note: Sondland complied with a subpoena to testify but has not turned over documents
DAYS
Gordon Sondland, the Trump donor and U.S. Ambassador to the European Union, complied with a subpoena to testify before House investigators on Oct. 17, but has not turned over documents in any accompanying schedule. The brief request covers familiar territory, seeking Sondland's personal involvement in or knowledge of the diplomatic parlay between the United States and Ukraine, which is not a member of the European Union.
The request specifically mentions the removal of Former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, which was first cited in the Giuliani subpoena.
LETTER DOCUMENTS
Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman
Giuliani associates
Issued: October 10, 2019

Due: October 17, 2019
DAY
House investigators delivered a pair of identical subpoenas to Giuliani associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman on Oct. 10, the same day they were arrested at Dulles International Airport. They are charged with violating campaign finance laws as part of a pressure campaign in Ukraine that allegedly includes efforts to replace former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch.
While the Congressional subpoena is largely an abbreviated version of the topics in the 21-page indictment from the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, it adds several new names to the impeachment canon:
Donald Trump, Jr.
Former Congressman Pete Sessions, who has been subpoenaed by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney in the investigation into Parnas and Fruman
America First Action, Inc., a pro-Trump super-PAC
LETTER DOCUMENTS*
* Parnas and Fruman received identical requests for documents without only their names swapped.
Rick Perry
Secretary of Energy
Issued: October 10, 2019

Due: October 19, 2019
HOURS
The documents requested from Perry cover a lot of the same ground as the Esper subpoena from the perspective of the Department of Energy, with a particular focus on alleged U.S. efforts to influence the Ukrainian natural gas industry.
This is the only subpoena to specifically cite Naftogaz, Ukraine's state-owned oil and gas company. It also contains the first reference to a May 21 meeting in Kiev between Perry, Kurt Volker, Gordon Sondland and a variety of Ukrainian officials, many of whom are involved in the country's energy sector.
LETTER DOCUMENTS
For regular civilians, there are clear consequences for forgetting to comply with, say, a court summons. As the Civil Law Self-Help Center helpfully clarifies, “ignoring a lawsuit does not make it go away.” But Congress is not a court and members of the Executive Branch are not like you and me. Several news outlets have tackled the tricky question of what can happen when the executive branch fails to respond to Congressional subpoenas — or, more precisely, when the White House acknowledges them only to clarify its intent to ignore them.

This is one of many impeachment subplots where the balance of power between Congress and the President — as empowered by Articles I and II of the Constitution, respectively — are murky at best and may require the courts (Article III) to referee. In the meantime, however, the subpoenas themselves, which are public documents, offer an illuminating window into how the three House Committees at the helm of the impeachment investigation are piecing together the story of what happened on during the fateful July 25 call between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, and how we got there.
Congressional subpoenas come in two parts: A letter outlining the broad scope of the request for documents, correspondence and the names of all individuals involved, as well as an attached “schedule” that is simultaneously as broad and specific as possible. These schedules, while not particularly breezy, are packed with names of bit players in the Ukrainian saga who otherwise we might never know existed, as well as private White House meetings that were not disclosed or not widely noticed at the time they occurred.

Each schedule is loosely tailored to the target’s domain of authority, but as a whole one sees the picture develop in increasing resolution. In some cases, the actual request for documents attached to the letter is not easily accessible from House committee websites, but is detailed in an earlier request for documents before a subpoena was on the table.