I was promised a part in the 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' remake — instead I left LA jobless and in debt

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
You're right, but this is a very unique situation. This was the equivalent of winning one of those Mega Millions jackpots. One of the biggest stars on the planet loves the concept; the network wants to turn it into a show, and they want you to be a part of it. The last part is almost unheard of because Cooper didn't have any legal rights to the IP. Those folks saw him hanging out with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff, going to Hollywood, and meeting executives at Peacock. It's kind of understandable how everybody got a little big-headed and starry-eyed.

I get all that.

But you don’t get sillyheaed on empty promises.

There has been decades of stories of folks going to Hollyweird and when getting there they get screwed over every possible way.

That’s why it’s hard to believe these folks fell for the Okey Doke with this character. And for Black folks to fall for this makes no sense with the history we have on being screwed over in this country…..especially by our own people.

There were plenty of Red Flags for these folks before they left K-Town that they should have seen before leaving to go to LA.

This shit is on the level of mofos to this day still falling for these emails about helping some Prince in Africa.

The Old PT Barnum quote is still true today….

0*P-EodQnRe7W5Wc9q.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You're right, but this is a very unique situation. This was the equivalent of winning one of those Mega Millions jackpots. One of the biggest stars on the planet loves the concept; the network wants to turn it into a show, and they want you to be a part of it. The last part is almost unheard of because Cooper didn't have any legal rights to the IP. Those folks saw him hanging out with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff, going to Hollywood, and meeting executives at Peacock. It's kind of understandable how everybody got a little big-headed and starry-eyed.

This story is a great life lesson.

I really hope some podcasts etc pick up the story especially a place like the breakfast club or Joe budden or Jemele Hill.

I wonder if they would be scared of NBC PEACOCK and Will Smith?

They shouldn't be.

I think a story like this may spark a lot of creatives being screwed over.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I get all that.

But you don’t get sillyheaed on empty promises.

There has been decades of stories of folks going to Hollyweird and when getting there they get screwed over every possible way.

That’s why it’s hard to believe these folks fell for the Okey Doke with this character. And for Black folks to fall for this makes no sense with the history we have on being screwed over in this country…..especially by our own people.

There were plenty of Red Flags for these folks before they left K-Town that they should have seen before leaving to go to LA.

This shit is on the level of mofos to this day still falling for these emails about helping some Prince in Africa.

The Old PT Barnum quote is still true today….

0*P-EodQnRe7W5Wc9q.jpg

I hear you bro...

But I've seen stories like this on all levels

Especially now with youtibe social media etc etc.

And this entire situation is so once in a lifetime absurd?

I could see all this happening and not COMPLETELY blame the victims here.

I'm legit shocked peacock and Overbrook didn't get involved at some point just to mend fences.

It wouldn't really cost them anything but the Goodwill and positive press?

Happy everyone seems to be doing well now.

And it's a great lesson to all these young creative folks.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I hear you bro...

But I've seen stories like this on all levels

Especially now with youtibe social media etc etc.

And this entire situation is so once in a lifetime absurd?

I could see all this happening and not COMPLETELY blame the victims here.

I'm legit shocked peacock and Overbrook didn't get involved at some point just to mend fences.

It wouldn't really cost them anything but the Goodwill and positive press?

Happy everyone seems to be doing well now.

And it's a great lesson to all these young creative folks.

Nothing unique about it.

What’s unique is they opened their Big Mouth about it too the world.

There are plenty of people right now headed into Los Angeles/Hollyweird on a Greyhound bus as I write this with Big Dreams of being a Star on some stupid promise.

And don’t leave out NYC, that city historically has been a Golden Oasis of suckers coming into it with no idea on WTF they doing and chasing a dream.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nothing unique about it.

What’s unique is they opened their Big Mouth about it too the world.

There are plenty of people right now headed into Los Angeles/Hollyweird on a Greyhound bus as I write this with Big Dreams of being a Star on some stupid promise.

And don’t leave out NYC, that city historically has been a Golden Oasis of suckers coming into it with no idea on WTF they doing and chasing a dream.

See I don't want to tell them to shut up

Why?

Cause if these were some white kids that got a fan made short of Beverly hills 90210 into a major streaming service revival?

they would already be on CBS NBC ABC morning shows and talk shows and radio plus podcasts having agents knocking down their doors

So I don't want them to shut up

Don't lie don't exaggerate but tell your story loudly

Seek legal

And MOVE ON.

But yeah leave a lasting footnote not only to protect future creatives but to make sure this current little "feel good story" is recorded correctly.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
See I don't want to tell them to shut up

Why?

Cause if these were some white kids that got a fan made short of Beverly hills 90210 into a major streaming service revival?

they would already be on CBS NBC ABC morning shows and talk shows and radio plus podcasts having agents knocking down their doors

So I don't want them to shut up

Don't lie don't exaggerate but tell your story loudly

Seek legal

And MOVE ON.

But yeah leave a lasting footnote not only to protect future creatives but to make sure this current little "feel good story" is recorded correctly.
i feel bad for the dude that invested money
he got shitted on
as for the actors once the project is bought u have no say over it anymore
rufus dude prolly did want to put them in it
but politics happened and he was afraid to tell the truuf
when HBO bought insecure from issa rea
i didnt see one character from akward black girl show
or i just missed it

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
he got shitted on
or i just missed it

Good point.

But him being "afraid" to tell them the truth is still royally messed up. And I can't excuse it at all.

It's a question of character and respect at that point not fear. Once you have the balls to ask others to disrupt their lives? You better have the balls to tell them the truth.

Cause white folk would have found a way to sue his ass.

keone

International Member
Good point.

But him being "afraid" to tell them the truth is still royally messed up. And I can't excuse it at all.

It's a question of character and respect at that point not fear. Once you have the balls to ask others to disrupt their lives? You better have the balls to tell them the truth.

Cause white folk would have found a way to sue his ass.
it is unless he truly didnt know
i was following a dude that had created youtube show
concept was dope s hell millions of views
he went to networks but because of politics that he wouldnt accept he couldnt sell the show
this is almost 8 plus years ago still no show
is brutal game, look what they did to wayans family with scary movie.
the fact that this show was picked up is miracle by it self
the whole george floyd/blm thing might be the reason

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
he got shitted on
or i just missed it

I get your point but I don't think that has any bearing here.

We seen where creators have made sure if they have any pull that they bring along the originals some have INSISTED, some didn't.

It's not some type of indictment if you don't but it's nice and when it makes sense? It's smart as hell cause it connects both properties and the fan base that GOT IT PRODUCED ON A BIGGER PLATFORM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

He could have had them in a small lunch room scene with no lines it isn't complicated.

Or have them on set and take pictures for social media, invite them to a party, get them signed scripts, ask your agent to have a "meeting" with them, the smallest no cost stuff that may have been a huge deal to THEM.

Or the easiest simplest cheapest option?

Tell the damn truth.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
he went to networks but because of politics that he wouldnt accept he couldnt sell the show

I ain't arguing against none of that it at all.

Don't matter how and why he got the opportunity. If all this is TRUE?

Still doesn't mean he ain't fumbled this up royally.

And worse? Unnecessarily.

daddyfatsacks9000

Unapologetic Heterosexual Male
BGOL Investor
I find the lack of empathy disturbing. Most you you niggas would fuck your people wife or girlfriend then blame him for it. I wish I could be so independent that I can say fuck everybody else.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

Just good timing. The window was there and everything fell into place.

The fact that the show and leads and creators were black instead of white is just a footnote.

Same thing happened when The Wire was done, those dudes had done Homicide for NBC BUT NYPD Blue was so similar and at that time, hit the window at the right time that Homicide didn’t become the hit it should have been. Most of them folks moved on but never received the acclaim or opportunities that The Wire gave its people.

Man timing is everything. Shit I had a whole screenplay out for competition and coverage that showed two sides of the law and the characters were well rounded and drawn out and written to be grey all through the damn script. One lady compared it to The Wire. I was floored but kept working on everything else in case it didn’t pan out. I also changed my lead character to black and made his partner white.

Guy did my third round of coverage suggested I write it as a series instead BUT his boyfriend advised me NOT too because there was a similar project in the works, it landed at Starz and it would turn out to be very juicy because of the hot talent involved. The window was there but I had missed it, basically shipping the screenplay out as a film and not hitting the networks instead. I had no correspondence with ANY one in network TV either.

Them gay niggas didn't say 50 cent was who they were referring to and the rest is history. First time I saw a trailer for Power I almost threw up.

Game is brutal bro.

oNE

keone

International Member

The fact that the show and leads and creators were black instead of white is just a footnote.

Same thing happened when The Wire was done, those dudes had done Homicide for NBC BUT NYPD Blue was so similar and at that time, hit the window at the right time that Homicide didn’t become the hit it should have been. Most of them folks moved on but never received the acclaim or opportunities that The Wire gave its people.

Man timing is everything. Shit I had a whole screenplay out for competition and coverage that showed two sides of the law and the characters were well rounded and drawn out and written to be grey all through the damn script. One lady compared it to The Wire. I was floored but kept working on everything else in case it didn’t pan out. I also changed my lead character to black and made his partner white.

Guy did my third round of coverage suggested I write it as a series instead BUT his boyfriend advised me NOT too because there was a similar project in the works, it landed at Starz and it would turn out to be very juicy because of the hot talent involved. The window was there but I had missed it, basically shipping the screenplay out as a film and not hitting the networks instead. I had no correspondence with ANY one in network TV either.

Them gay niggas didn't say 50 cent was who they were referring to and the rest is history. First time I saw a trailer for Power I almost threw up.

Game is brutal bro.

oNE
i agree at the end of the day u can sum everything up to timing specially black shows.
but politics plays a role too. remember somebody did something similar to martin show and there was talks of making it a tv show.
they did it around the same time
like u said game is brutal

also pause b lol

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Game is brutal bro.

oNE

Muthahucka.

Gawd damn it.