Good Times Appreciation thread

Damn Right

Rising Star
Registered
Classic but when Janet showed up it went down hill.

u crazy. that episode when she got burned with that iron? that sheit had me like :eek: when i was a kid. u know that was kim field's real life moms who played janet's moms on the show

SirRahX

Recluse
BGOL Investor
THELMA2006.jpg

hog fat

Rising Star
Platinum Member
what used 2 kill me was the way the "folks in charge" would recycle actors.

For instance, in one episode Lou Gossett Jr. a older dude character dated Thelma.

Then, in a later episode, Lou was Florida's cousin .

roster

Star
Registered
I know that always made me laugh too. On top of that seeing the same actors and actresses jump from one show to the next(the other 70's comedies thread is coming).

Thelma's "Young Man"pt.1

pt.2

Last edited:

Garifuna

Star
Registered
From what I read over the years:

...Basically, James Amos had been in regular disputes with the producers of the show since the first season. He wanted to portray a strong black family with a strong black father, and was disappointed by the buffoonery of the JJ character. It's not that he (or Esther Roles) didn't like Jimmie Walker, but the audience (and producers) seem to enjoy JJ's over the top foolishness, that JJ began to overshadow what was set up to be a very strong ensemble cast. Not only that, but Amos and Roles were strong actors from theater, and this tomfoolery that the show leaned toward was simply unacceptable.

So after repeated conflicts, Amos left. They wrote him off with his death, and as you can see, the show became the JJ show. The 'comedy' factor revved up, the 'issues' factor toned down, and the show dipped. Realizing that the balance was shifted and that the show lost something in Amos' departure, the writers and producers attempted to better balance issues with the comedy - which is why the tone is so scatter shot as the seasons progressed.

In my opinion, the absolute best season was season two. Good Times was a terribly UNDERRATED show amongst black people once The Cosby Show aired some 20 years later. History shows, though, that Good Times is actually one of the strongest family dramas that has EVER been on television.

It's inimitable....

I LOVE this show.
Damn, Damn, DAMN!

You will never read the truth in the white media.

The truth is that when John Amos left the show, he landed the role of Kunte Kinte in Roots. He got to portray the strong Black Man, and the contrast made Good Times look stupid.

Esther Rolles left Good Times after hearing about John's new part. She wanted a number of changes. The show tanked when she departed, even though the producers tried everything from Bookman to Penny. Eventually, the producers caved, and gave Rolles what she wanted, but by then TV audiences had seen Roots. The writers and producers of Good Times had no clue as to how to adapt.

Roots changed the portrayal of Black comedy on Television forever. Compare Jay Jay to the Fresh Prince or Martin to see the difference.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Damn, now that you stated that I know it's her now. Didn't catch it before.

JJ's fiancee

still wonder whatever happened to diana after that..

at first i thought that was laurence fishburne playing the dope pusher LOL

speaking of penny anyone remember that episode where penny got busted for shoplifting? gotta watch that one w/ the volume up a little so u can listen to the audience reactions when penny takes the jewlery,they all like"Awww no!!/dont do it!!" etc :lol:

roster

Star
Registered
Esther returned to the show when they decided to allow the family to "Come Up". Remember JJ got an Ad sales Job, Micheal was in College (Dating White girls...ROFL, they totally killed the militant miget), and Thelma was married to Keith.

Florida's Homecoming

Thelma's husband's a real dork imo. The show is okay, but obviously gone downhill

Last edited:

BIGBLUE2006

Star
Registered
This could be the most emotional episode in history
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE[/FLASH]

O.G BAMM

Rising Star
Registered
My favorite show of all time. I have all the seasons on dvd. Anybody got the "E" true hollywood story about the show?

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
after the pops left (killed in the series)....the show got kinda wack.....

Q-vo

Star
Registered
Time for my Rosanne Katon fix:

[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/PpENHQVsYR0[/FLASH]
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/ipESmJDBqMU[/FLASH]

Glad to say that I've seen her act much better than this in other things! ;)

Galvatron78

Potential Star
Registered
If someone doesn't post "The Big Mac" ass-whoopin' I'll be highly dissappointed. If the "Big Mac" was still performed today we wouldn't have all of these homo thug bitch boys walkin' around today.

blackbastard

Potential Star
Registered
speaking of penny anyone remember that episode where penny got busted for shoplifting? gotta watch that one w/ the volume up a little so u can listen to the audience reactions when penny takes the jewlery,they all like"Awww no!!/dont do it!!" etc :lol:

Mannnnnnnnnn, I was looking for that very same clip after this thread got started! You would have sworn they were going to die. The crowd kept that show hoppin'! :roflmao2:

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
If someone doesn't post "The Big Mac" ass-whoopin' I'll be highly dissappointed. If the "Big Mac" was still performed today we wouldn't have all of these homo thug bitch boys walkin' around today.

i didnt think he got the Big Mac cause he was still walking,as JJ pointed out..but when he sat down on the couch :lol:

also :lol: @ when dude tried to run and james pulled him back in the room

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

yup thats the one.. man in the audience all"Naw,NAAAAAAWWW!!" and some woman was even saying"I knew it!!" :roflmao:

hog fat

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ironically, this cat was in the gang that recruited J.J.

Also, he was on Electric Company back in the day .

DAMN I AM OLD!

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
shit was depressing, I liked it when it was on, but it doesn't have re-watch value....

(it was like Gulligan's Island, the same premise. Instead of leaving the island, they were attempting to always leave the ghetto.)