Good Times Appreciation thread

roster

Star
Registered
I have seen this show being mentioned on here the most for old school shows. I've been watching the show all day today and noticed how great the show was, but there is definitely a dip in entertainment and funny in the show. Most of the classics seem to be up to the years Janet Jackson starred as Penny. After the 1st or 2nd year the show definitely jumped the shark when Janet came aboard(not her fault she played Penny very well). Thelma never jumped the shark though:dance::lol:What are the faves and critical episodes for people who followed the show?

Last edited:

roster

Star
Registered
Was there a reason that Moses Gunn(I think that's what his name was) wasn't a complete replacement for James? I thought he kind of meshed with the other characters well(no James, but he was irreplaceable)

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im to young to actually remember watching the show weekly but Ive watched the reruns.

My favorite was Penny,Lenny and the mothers friend who would come in to visit them.

roster

Star
Registered
Same thing here. I vaguely remember the original run and saw only a handful back in the early 90's on TBS(now Peachtree which shows other 70's shows like Sanford and Jeffersons). I'm trying to get the inside stories on why the show ended up the way it did. The shows with Penny still had substance, but I'm getting confused with the storyline and timeline of certain events. I was going to post some classics, but I'm worried it may lead to them getting yanked when youtube sees the views go up or does it not work that way? Hell if not I could turn this into a 70's sitcom tribute thread.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
bernnadette+stanis5.jpg

PGandBS2.jpg

pgandbs1.jpg

Reginald_and_Thelma-250x207.jpg

friends_collage.jpg

janet_jackson.jpg

brentbernadette.jpg

Situations101.jpg

sakinnuso

Rising Star
Registered
From what I read over the years:

...Basically, James Amos had been in regular disputes with the producers of the show since the first season. He wanted to portray a strong black family with a strong black father, and was disappointed by the buffoonery of the JJ character. It's not that he (or Esther Roles) didn't like Jimmie Walker, but the audience (and producers) seem to enjoy JJ's over the top foolishness, that JJ began to overshadow what was set up to be a very strong ensemble cast. Not only that, but Amos and Roles were strong actors from theater, and this tomfoolery that the show leaned toward was simply unacceptable.

So after repeated conflicts, Amos left. They wrote him off with his death, and as you can see, the show became the JJ show. The 'comedy' factor revved up, the 'issues' factor toned down, and the show dipped. Realizing that the balance was shifted and that the show lost something in Amos' departure, the writers and producers attempted to better balance issues with the comedy - which is why the tone is so scatter shot as the seasons progressed.

In my opinion, the absolute best season was season two. Good Times was a terribly UNDERRATED show amongst black people once The Cosby Show aired some 20 years later. History shows, though, that Good Times is actually one of the strongest family dramas that has EVER been on television.

It's inimitable....

I LOVE this show.
Damn, Damn, DAMN!

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Highlights of the show THelma for Thelma and John Amos for his acting.

Esther Rolle was the best actor/actress on the set. The show was built around her talents and presence. Amos supplied solid, situation-based comic relief, in contrast to Jimmie Walker's undisciplined, stand-up style.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The guy who created the show said it himself that the heads of the company didn't want to show a strong black male figure on television like james,so they got rid of him(high blood pressure)and shit went down hill from there,everyone slowly started jumping ship.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
The guy who created the show said it himself that the heads of the company didn't want to show a strong black male figure on television like james,so they got rid of him(high blood pressure)and shit went down hill from there,everyone slowly started jumping ship.

That's total bullshit. Quite the opposite. His character was created for a reason.

Amos left because his role was constantly being reduced, due to the show's emphasis on the more popular Walker. It struggled in the ratings department after the first year or so (when it was still a hot spin-off). They had to keep juicing things up in typical sitcom style in order to keep viewers interested.

blackbastard

Potential Star
Registered
Just finished backing it up on DVD. I love this.

If you're really interested in picking it up, a complete series box set is coming out (if it hasn't already) pretty soon at around 50$.

O.Red

Star
Registered

What the fuck are you talking about?

Have you ever watched Good Times???

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's total bullshit. Quite the opposite.

Amos left because his role was constantly being reduced, due to the show's emphasis on the more popular Walker.

Right,I think I saw that on that Hollywood something or vh1 and than it went on to talk about his hardships,him living in a shelter and he had other scripts that went no where.

I know Im not crazy,Im not the only one who watched that special.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Right,I think I saw that on that Hollywood something or vh1 and than it went on to talk about his hardships,him living in a shelter and he had other scripts that went no where.

I know Im not crazy,Im not the only one who watched that special.

No, Amos wasn't the one with the homeless problems. He did just fine after he left. He was a solid Hollywood veteran. You're thinking of one of the original creators and writers, who went through a long period of troubles and mental distress before finally dying a few years back. Eric Monte, I believe his name was.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, Amos wasn't the one with the homeless problems. He did just fine after he left. You're thinking of one of the original creators and writers.

No not amos he was on the jamie foxxx show not to long ago.Duh I was talking about one of the creators/writers.Not John Amos,the hiphop country western rapper.

bgque12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When the hell did that family ever have a good time? Even the lyrics of the theme song were fucked up! temporary layoffs= good times! Bullshit. The worst and I mean the absolutely worst episode of that fucked up show was when JJ painted the black Jesus and the family started having all kinds of good luck then the mom made him get rid of it because it made her feel uncomfortable!!! Please that was bullshit and the most unrealistic thing I've ever seen on TV.

Even when it finally looked like they were gonna get out of the ghetto what happened? James died.(Good times) What happened when Thelma was gonna marry the football player? He falls over JJ AT THE WEDDING and hurts his knee, now he's on welfare with them:smh:

Horrible show.

RBGrider

Star
Registered

...Basically, James Amos had been in regular disputes with the producers of the show since the first season. He wanted to portray a strong black family with a strong black father, and was disappointed by the buffoonery of the JJ character. It's not that he (or Esther Roles) didn't like Jimmie Walker, but the audience (and producers) seem to enjoy JJ's over the top foolishness, that JJ began to overshadow what was set up to be a very strong ensemble cast. Not only that, but Amos and Roles were strong actors from theater, and this tomfoolery that the show leaned toward was simply unacceptable.

So after repeated conflicts, Amos left. They wrote him off with his death, and as you can see, the show became the JJ show. The 'comedy' factor revved up, the 'issues' factor toned down, and the show dipped. Realizing that the balance was shifted and that the show lost something in Amos' departure, the writers and producers attempted to better balance issues with the comedy - which is why the tone is so scatter shot as the seasons progressed.

In my opinion, the absolute best season was season two. Good Times was a terribly UNDERRATED show amongst black people once The Cosby Show aired some 20 years later. History shows, though, that Good Times is actually one of the strongest family dramas that has EVER been on television.

It's inimitable....

I LOVE this show.
Damn, Damn, DAMN!

^^^^^^:yes::yes::yes::yes:

I believe Amos wanted to see more positive situations and outcomes in the script as well. The hard knock never catch a break along with Walker's buffoonery was more then he could stand.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
When the hell did that family ever have a good time? Even the lyrics of the theme song were fucked up! temporary layoffs= good times! Bullshit.

Dumb fuck. The operative word is FAMILY. The song was about persevering as a family unit despite those hardships. Idiot.

Go back to your videogames, kid.

RBGrider

Star
Registered
Esther Rolle was the best actor/actress on the set. The show was built around her talents and presence. Amos supplied solid, situation-based comic relief, in contrast to Jimmie Walker's undisciplined, stand-up style.

Nah man Rolle was ight but she wasn't better then Amos. Which is why even with her after he was written out of the show it became even more clownish and she could not carry the show...they tried writing in Bookman and more of Wilona to assist and even brought in Janet Jackson but with John....:smh: Whether its in TV land or the real world it just aint right without a STRONG black man.

roster

Star
Registered
When the hell did that family ever have a good time? Even the lyrics of the theme song were fucked up! temporary layoffs= good times! Bullshit. The worst and I mean the absolutely worst episode of that fucked up show was when JJ painted the black Jesus and the family started having all kinds of good luck then the mom made him get rid of it because it made her feel uncomfortable!!! Please that was bullshit and the most unrealistic thing I've ever seen on TV.

Even when it finally looked like they were gonna get out of the ghetto what happened? James died.(Good times) What happened when Thelma was gonna marry the football player? He falls over JJ AT THE WEDDING and hurts his knee, now he's on welfare with them:smh:

Horrible show.

I have family members who think the same thing as you, but watch it for some of the JJ buffoonery, but I always compare it to what else was on tv and what wasn't on tv at the time. I have to say that for its time the show hit on topics other shows like Sanford and Jeffersons didn't(the same family members liked those shows better). Especially when you think about the lack of tv shows in the 60's repping us.

Brother Blaque

Rising Star
Registered
When Good Times first started out the episodes had political messages about the plight of "ghetto life" such as welfare, alcoholism, unemployment

They claim John Amos got into a dispute over money and left the show. That worked perfectly for the honkys at CBS....having a Black single moms as head of the household.

When James was killed off the white writers pushed JJ out front as the stereotypical coon. And coon he did.

Still it was a great show and I loved Thelma and that PHAT ass.
DAM!

l_86bb6454bac50086340875f3f9f00ae9.jpg

THELMA2006.jpg

Bern Nadette

Michael on how IQ tests is unfair to Black people

Good Times - The I.Q. Test Pt 1 of 2

Good Times - The IQ Test Pt 2 of 2

d-weezy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wasn't alive in it's original run, but like most fans. I enjoy it in TBS and TVOne reruns.

There weren't many good times on "Good Times".

One of my favourite episodes was when JJ moved in with the Dope boys and the place got raided by the police and JJ hide in the closet behind a mop.

SMH @ thinking a quick fix to getting rid of John Amos would be Lou Gossett Jr. as Florida's brother.

Is it just me or was Wilona the project hoe to all the over 35 dudes that didn't live in the hood?

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Nah man Rolle was ight but she wasn't better then Amos.

She was a serious actress, not a comedic actor like Amos. She was the rock of the show. It was HER show. She played "straight man" to Amos and Walker, and represented the moral authority and always conveyed the positive spirit of the script's themes.

Which is why even with her after he was written out of the show it became even more clownish and she could not carry the show...they tried writting in Bookman and more of Wilona to assist and even brought in Janet Jackson but with John....

John Amos delivered a bunch of one-liners in every show. He wasn't a major performing force beyond that (though his character's presence was important). His loss isn't what changed the show. It started changing the day Jimmie Walker became a SUPERSTAR, which was very soon after it debuted.

TVman

Support BGOL
Registered

It's inimitable....

I LOVE this show.
Damn, Damn, DAMN!

This is true. And the one of the guys who created the show Eric Monte (he also created and wrote Cooley High and What's Happenin') was until a couple years ago, he was a crackhead and homeless in LA, living on the streets and in a shelter. :smh::smh: In the 80's, he sued Norman Lear and Bud Yorkin' and won a $1 million settlement, then hollywood frozed him out. He have since moved back to Chicago, got him a place to live, where he is laying low. He gets about $300 a month in residual checks for Good Times. His real name is Kenneth Williams, and grew up in the Cabrini-Green projects where Good Times and Cooley High was based.

More Good Times Facts:

Esther Rolle was unhappy with JJ's character as well, and left the show in the fifth season to move away after marrying Carl. She returned in the six season (the last) and there was no explanation of what happened to Carl, or why she came back.

John Amos was only on the show for the first three years, the DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, James episode was a two parter in at the beginning of the fourth season. called "The Big Move".

Mike Evans (The original Lionel on The Jeffersons) created Good Times with Eric Monte.

Mike Evans gave Eric his first break writing for All In The Family, Eric returned the favor by naming the family, and the youngest character after Mike.

Good Times is a spin-off of Maude, which was a spin-off of All In The Family. All In The Family has the most spin-offs in TV history. They were all Norman Lear shows

Florida was a maid on Maude, when Good Times started, there was no mention of Maude nor any of the characters on Good Times.

Penny mom on the show (Chip Fields) was the real life mom of Kim Fields (Tootie from Facts of Life). Kim Fields showed up in two episodes in the last season.

Both David Letterman and Jay Leno appeared on Good Times, both were writing jokes for Jimmy Walker's stand up comedy routine at the time for $25 a joke.

Gary Coleman guest starred in two episodes.

James Evans Sr and Bookman only appeared in two episodes together.

Only Thelma and JJ were in every episode of Good Times

After James left, Michael became less Militant.

Almost all the writers on Good Times were white, the exception being Eric Monte and Mike Evans.

ok, I cant think of nothing else.....but

Here is the BIG question. Can you make a show today....about a black family living in the ghetto, father can't keep a job, son is a baffoon, the other is a militant.....talking about aint we lucky we got them, Good Times?

blackbastard

Potential Star
Registered
In that episode with JJ and the dope boys, you'll notice that Chip Fields is in it playing JJ's girl. Later, she'd play Penny's abusive mum.

I don't think that Amos or Rolle was better than one or the other. The point is that they were great together which is why the show died shortly after James' death. The producers thought they could go on with the okey-doke. Guess not.

If the Evans family crossed your path, guaranteed if you weren't in trouble before, you would be shortly afterward.

One of my favorite eps:
10hvz46.jpg