Game Of Thrones: The Sopranos with swords or Dynasty in chainmail?

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I absolutely HATED the Tudors.

They dragged out that divorce for the entire first season....I watched the first episode of the 2nd and they STILL hadn't split from the Roman Catholic church...I refused to waste anymore time on that boring ass show.
the 1st divorced dragged on because it played a big role through out Henry's life because at the time it was illegal and only the pope could have granted the divorce but he didn't want to do it because of the whole politics behind it.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
...and that whole marriage and the refusal of the pope to grant an annulment.... that shit has incredible historical significance, so being into history myself, that was completely interesting to me.
Plus, that first wire, Catherine of Aragon... I think she was the daughter of queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, the ones who financed Columbus, so it's like damn...

the 1st divorced dragged on because it played a big role throughout Henry's life because at the time it was illegal and only the pope could have granted the divorce but he didn't want to do it because of the whole politics behind it.

Last edited:
the 1st divorced dragged on because it played a big role through out Henry's life because at the time it was illegal and only the pope could have granted the divorce but he didn't want to do it because of the whole politics behind it.

...and that whole marriage and the refusal of the pope to grant an annulment.... that shit has incredible historical significance, so being into history myself, that was completely interesting to me.

I know the significance, that's still no excuse for dragging it out with those boring ass episodes. Glad to see y'all didn't come back with "it got much better" responses cuz this means we just have differing tastes and I didn't miss anything in the next 3 seasons worth watching.

HBO's Rome did a much better job handling historical significance.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
THis is my shit now! I read the books which had alot of fucking in them, so I know HBO bout to represent. Very good beginning. :yes:

never read books but will now and I had to recognize this..

4069574049_3f3e8923a0_o.gif

NICE

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, everybody has different tastes, so I can see how someone may not like the show (I can't watch the office if you pay me)... but actually, although I won't use the word better for how it got post-wife#1... you may have been more interested in what happened with the remaining marriages and Henry's later life. Catherine got old and died, so not much raw shit there...most of his other wives either fucked up and took people down with them (beheadings, drawn & quarterd, burned alive, etc) or were framed and then executed (with other people getting taken down with them in some horrible ways).

I know the significance, that's still no excuse for dragging it out with those boring ass episodes. Glad to see y'all didn't come back with "it got much better" responses cuz this means we just have differing tastes and I didn't miss anything in the next 3 seasons worth watching.

HBO's Rome did a much better job handling historical significance.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok, I've just re-read the 4 books (5th come out in July) and been hyped for the show in a minute

I'm give you all the 10 minute back story if you confused by all the characters and their motivations. (COLIN WARNING :) )

Westeros is a a early medieval Europe equivalent. It was originally populated by some mythical creatures called the "Others" (White Walkers) and the Children. These elf/fairy type creatures were basically pushed out and away into the extreme North when Mankind (Humans) started to dominate.

Fast forward several hundred years and all the First (original) men of Westeros get their asses kicked by the Valryians Empire who has to expand cause they fucked up their country with some magic and it sank into the ocean. The Valrians are rule by the Targaryen family and evenually they conquer all Westeros and set themselves up as a Hereditary Monarchy.

Fast foward several more hundred year to about 20 years before the present story takes place. The current Targaryen king is a lunatic and is killing off his subjects including Ned Starks Father and older Brother. A Rebellion starts led mainly by Ned Stark (Sean Bean's character) and Robert Baratheon (the current day King). They kick that Targaryen ass and Robert claims the throne. Robert becomes King gets married and Ned returns to his family castle where he is Warden of the North, get married and has a rack of youngin's and a bastard son (Jon Snow). Meanwhile the only surviving member's of the Targaryen family a young prince Visarys (Vis-er-ries) and his younger sister (Dan-ar-ries) are forced to flee Westeros to the Eastern islands where they hope to reclaim their birthright one day.

Thats the basic timeline, but the little side intrigues are what really set the motivation for the characters.

Robert Baratheon (the current king) only rebelled because he was supposed to get married to Ned Stark's sister Lyanna (his one true love) However the Mad Targaryen King's Nephew Rhaegar (Ray-gar) snuck off with her and something happened and she ended up Dying (The books aren't clear on exactly what happened). Robert eventually kills Rhaegar Targaryen who is heir to the throne of Westeros.

Towards the end of the war, when things were not going good for the Targaryen's, the powerful Lannister family turn against the Targaryens and Jamie Lannister actually kills the Mad King and opens the door for the Rebels (Robert and Ned) to claim the throne. This is an important fact in the series because Jamie was a Knight of the kings guard (Think Ultra Elite Bodyguards) and was supposed to protect the King with this life. So even though he made it possible for Robert to get the throne, no one trusts him anymore. Jamie's twin sister Cersei (Sir-Say) was supposed to marry Rhaegar is now forced to marry Robert Baratheon in order to seal the Lannister family to the new King.

So the unhappy marriage between Robert and Cersei's and the resulting fallout from that is the motivation for a lot of what happens in the series.

Important Characters

Ned Stark: Only true friend of the king, forced to leave his ancestral home of Winterfeel to take on the role of King's Hand (think Prime Minister). Note: The last 3 Hand's of the king all were either murdered or died under mysterious circumstances.

Robert Baratheon (first of his name): Became King of Westeros by killing off the Targaryen heir and claiming the Iron throne. His true love Lyanna Stark was killed during the war and his current marriage is one of convienence with the Cersei Lannister daughter of powerful Tywin Lannister.

Jamie Lannister: scion of the Lannister family, Knight of the King's Guard, called The KingSlayer for assassinating the Aerys Targaryen on his throne at the end of the rebellion. Vain, arrogant and extremly skilled warrior who has more than a brotherly love for his sister Cersei

Cersei Lannister: twin sister of Jamie. Scheming and manipulative. She gets to be Queen, but not to the man she was was promised too. Will stop at nothing to protect her power and her family

Tyrion Lannister: The dwarf. Highly intelligent, but under appreciated by his family. Probably won't play a major role in the first year on HBO series but he eventually plays a huge role later in the series.

Catelyn Stark: Ned's loyal Wife. Was supposed to marry Ned's older brother but she married Ned when Mad King Aery's killed Ned's brother and father. Like Tyrion she probably will play a small role in the first season, but her role expands quite a bit in the 2nd and 3rd books.

Danarys Targaryen: Born toward the end of the rebellion against her father (The Mad King Aerys) she never lived in Westeros and is raided in the the Eastern Isles where her brother Viserys is trying to build an army to reclaim his throne. Her storyline plays a major role in the series overall, but all her actions occur outside of the land of Westeros

Viserys Targaryen: Danarys older brother to Danarys and the "true" heir to the Iron throne. Forced to marry his sister Danarys off to Dothraki warrior in exchange for an Army to take back his crown. Probably got more than a bit of the his fathers madness in him

The Stark kids - Basically don't do much early on but they two become critical in the series as they got older and progress. Jon Snow, Ned's Bastard go his own way and eventually become a person of some power.

The Baratheon Kids - Only important in that they are next in line to throne should anything happen to Robert

*The Wall*: 700 foot 100 mile wide construction of Ice, Snow and Magic that keeps the White Walkers from roaming freely. Built over thousands of years. Criminals and 3rd sons are sent to man the wall against the Terrors of the North. The men of the Watch take an oath to defend the Wall and each other, to forget whatever families and alliances they previously claimed and instead find a new family with their brothers on the wall.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought it was excellent, Peter Dinklage absolutely nailed Tyrion as did Sean Bean with Ned Stark. The production values looked great and wouldn't have been out of place on the cinema screen. I'm a fan of the books (next one out in a couple of months!) and I thoght this stayed as true to the original as possible.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
We have a winner w/ this one...good mix of sex blood characters and plot...that "blonde" white girl got a serious lil body to her...good show...was hesitant about watching this after being disappointed by Camelot and Borgias...good show tho has me intrigued enough by the characters to watch more

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Wow @ dawilleyone. Excellent...a plethora of intriguing characters...if I can't get w/ the characters then I can't get w/ the show...well-acted as well...you end up hating/admiring and even feeling sorry for some of them right away as opposed to just being annoyed by them (The Borgias :rolleyes:)

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
And thanks for the books...1st ep left me wanting a lot more...may have to forego the show for the books...the books are always better than the movie... :D

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Ok, I've just re-read the 4 books (5th come out in July) and been hyped for the show in a minute

I'm give you all the 10 minute back story if you confused by all the characters and their motivations. (COLIN WARNING :) )

Westeros is a a early medieval Europe equivalent. It was originally populated by some mythical creatures called the "Others" (White Walkers) and the Children. These elf/fairy type creatures were basically pushed out and away into the extreme North when Mankind (Humans) started to dominate.

Fast forward several hundred years and all the First (original) men of Westeros get their asses kicked by the Valryians Empire who has to expand cause they fucked up their country with some magic and it sank into the ocean. The Valrians are rule by the Targaryen family and evenually they conquer all Westeros and set themselves up as a Hereditary Monarchy.

Fast foward several more hundred year to about 20 years before the present story takes place. The current Targaryen king is a lunatic and is killing off his subjects including Ned Starks Father and older Brother. A Rebellion starts led mainly by Ned Stark (Sean Bean's character) and Robert Baratheon (the current day King). They kick that Targaryen ass and Robert claims the throne. Robert becomes King gets married and Ned returns to his family castle where he is Warden of the North, get married and has a rack of youngin's and a bastard son (Jon Snow). Meanwhile the only surviving member's of the Targaryen family a young prince Visarys (Vis-er-ries) and his younger sister (Dan-ar-ries) are forced to flee Westeros to the Eastern islands where they hope to reclaim their birthright one day.

Thats the basic timeline, but the little side intrigues are what really set the motivation for the characters.

Robert Baratheon (the current king) only rebelled because he was supposed to get married to Ned Stark's sister Lyanna (his one true love) However the Mad Targaryen King's Nephew Rhaegar (Ray-gar) snuck off with her and something happened and she ended up Dying (The books aren't clear on exactly what happened). Robert eventually kills Rhaegar Targaryen who is heir to the throne of Westeros.

Towards the end of the war, when things were not going good for the Targaryen's, the powerful Lannister family turn against the Targaryens and Jamie Lannister actually kills the Mad King and opens the door for the Rebels (Robert and Ned) to claim the throne. This is an important fact in the series because Jamie was a Knight of the kings guard (Think Ultra Elite Bodyguards) and was supposed to protect the King with this life. So even though he made it possible for Robert to get the throne, no one trusts him anymore. Jamie's twin sister Cersei (Sir-Say) was supposed to marry Rhaegar is now forced to marry Robert Baratheon in order to seal the Lannister family to the new King.

So the unhappy marriage between Robert and Cersei's and the resulting fallout from that is the motivation for a lot of what happens in the series.

Important Characters

Ned Stark: Only true friend of the king, forced to leave his ancestral home of Winterfeel to take on the role of King's Hand (think Prime Minister). Note: The last 3 Hand's of the king all were either murdered or died under mysterious circumstances.

Robert Baratheon (first of his name): Became King of Westeros by killing off the Targaryen heir and claiming the Iron throne. His true love Lyanna Stark was killed during the war and his current marriage is one of convienence with the Cersei Lannister daughter of powerful Tywin Lannister.

Jamie Lannister: scion of the Lannister family, Knight of the King's Guard, called The KingSlayer for assassinating the Aerys Targaryen on his throne at the end of the rebellion. Vain, arrogant and extremly skilled warrior who has more than a brotherly love for his sister Cersei

Cersei Lannister: twin sister of Jamie. Scheming and manipulative. She gets to be Queen, but not to the man she was was promised too. Will stop at nothing to protect her power and her family

Tyrion Lannister: The dwarf. Highly intelligent, but under appreciated by his family. Probably won't play a major role in the first year on HBO series but he eventually plays a huge role later in the series.

Catelyn Stark: Ned's loyal Wife. Was supposed to marry Ned's older brother but she married Ned when Mad King Aery's killed Ned's brother and father. Like Tyrion she probably will play a small role in the first season, but her role expands quite a bit in the 2nd and 3rd books.

Danarys Targaryen: Born toward the end of the rebellion against her father (The Mad King Aerys) she never lived in Westeros and is raided in the the Eastern Isles where her brother Viserys is trying to build an army to reclaim his throne. Her storyline plays a major role in the series overall, but all her actions occur outside of the land of Westeros

Viserys Targaryen: Danarys older brother to Danarys and the "true" heir to the Iron throne. Forced to marry his sister Danarys off to Dothraki warrior in exchange for an Army to take back his crown. Probably got more than a bit of the his fathers madness in him

The Stark kids - Basically don't do much early on but they two become critical in the series as they got older and progress. Jon Snow, Ned's Bastard go his own way and eventually become a person of some power.

The Baratheon Kids - Only important in that they are next in line to throne should anything happen to Robert

*The Wall*: 700 foot 100 mile wide construction of Ice, Snow and Magic that keeps the White Walkers from roaming freely. Built over thousands of years. Criminals and 3rd sons are sent to man the wall against the Terrors of the North. The men of the Watch take an oath to defend the Wall and each other, to forget whatever families and alliances they previously claimed and instead find a new family with their brothers on the wall.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

And thanks for the books...1st ep left me wanting a lot more...may have to forego the show for the books...the books are always better than the movie... :D

c/s

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Props to dawileyone for the great summary / backstory.

I slept on Game of Thrones last week when it originally aired, but caught the re-run epsiode. (on-demand)

Wow.

THIS SHOW IS FIRE!!!!!! :yes:

It's off to a REALLY good start.
And I agree with some others who posted before me....

- It's like the "Lord of the Rings" mixed with...
- All the drama & character depth of "The Sopranos", or "The Wire"...
- Plus all the action / swordplay / treachery of HBO's "Rome".

:yes::yes::yes:

Solid acting, sex, action & plot twists.
Less Dragons, Orcs and 'Harry Potter' magic, so far.

(But those 'White Walkers' will satisfy the hard-core fantasy fans... who like to see mythical creatures in their shows. :cool:)

This series is gonna be GOOD.

Now there's 'something to watch' on HBO again... on Sunday nights during the Summer.

:dance:

--------------------------
ON A SIDENOTE: I got a question... who is the person everyone refers to as... "the imp"???

Is it Tyrion / Peter Dinklage? (i.e. the midget)

Or is it Uncle Benjen Stark... (he showed up on horseback, late at night to attend the King's party) who was talking to Jon Snow? (i.e. Ned Stark's Bastard Son)

or is it some other character we have not seen yet?

I am a bit confused, because if it IS Tyrion the midget... then he was talking in the '3rd-person' about HIMSELF... when he told that chic in the brothel.... "The Imp? He doesn't like being called that name". :dunno:

Need an assist.

3 Times

Star
Registered
--------------------------
ON A SIDENOTE: I got a question... who is the person everyone refers to as... "the imp"???

Is it Tyrion / Peter Dinklage? (i.e. the midget)

Or is it Uncle Benjen Stark... (he showed up on horseback, late at night to attend the King's party) who was talking to Jon Snow? (i.e. Ned Stark's Bastard Son)

or is it some other character we have not seen yet?

I am a bit confused, because if it IS Tyrion the midget... then he was talking in the '3rd-person' about HIMSELF... when he told that chic in the brothel.... "The Imp? He doesn't like being called that name". :dunno:

Need an assist.

Yeah I believe the imp is the midget. Remember he was missing when everyone was being introduced. The young girl Ayra asked "where's the imp" in front of the Queen, she snared and walked away and immediately asked her brother where was their other brother (the imp).

Makes sense?

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Yeah I believe the imp is the midget. Remember he was missing when everyone was being introduced. The young girl Ayra asked "where's the imp" in front of the Queen, she snared and walked away and immediately asked her brother where was their other brother (the imp).

Makes sense?

You're correct :yes:

His sister dont like his ass....:smh:

AwwSchitt

Star Playa
BGOL Investor

Thanks for the back story playa. You could tell there was a whole lot happening way before what the series started. This was good info to know.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the back story playa. You could tell there was a whole lot happening way before what the series started. This was good info to know.

One final note regarding Magic and Dragons - At the time of the start of the series Magic has more or less faded away and the last of the dragons died out several hundred years ago.

However, one of the core themes to the series has to do with the re-emergence of both back into the world. But it has not (up to the 4th book) ever got to the level of Harry Potter or even Lord of the Rings.

The focus of the series is definitely on the characters and their evolution.

Mr MajestiK

Rising Star
Registered
only caught part of the first showing tonight, and was on the phone with the sound down for most of that...but there was a decent amount of naked women... so I'm definitely gonna tune in again... and I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I'll be damned if at the end (this is a spoiler, but I don't think it gives away any plot line so fuck it) some kid gets pushed off a cliff by some guy because he saw the guy fucking some chick :lol:

You won't be laughing when you figure out just why the kid got the push. :smh:

AgentCreed

Star
Registered
that chick lied & got her wolf killed... dumb broad...damn shame that wolf died....that lil prince needs his ass beat....and the queen is a bitch...