(CBS) In the 70s sitcom "The Brady Bunch," Florence Henderson played a straitlaced single mom who was "bringing up three very lovely girls." Now Henderson is bringing up a juicy tidbit from her real-world past, saying in her upcoming memoir that New York City mayor John Lindsay gave her a bad case of crabs, a.k.a. pubic lice.
Talk about lousy luck.
Henderson, now 77, says she and Lindsay had a one-night stand after he put the moves on her over drinks at a Beverly Hills hotel.
"I was lonely," she writes in "Life Is Not a Stage," according to Reuters. "I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. So, what did I do? I did it."
The next morning, she woke with regrets - in the form of "little black things" crawling over her body, the New York Daily News reported. A doctor helped her get rid of the blood-sucking bugs, and Linsday sent flowers and a letter of apology.
Pubic lice, whose scientific name is Phthirus pubis, typically cause intense itching in areas covered by public hair, which is where they hang out and where they lay their eggs. In addition to itching, people infected with public lice sometimes develop bluish-gray skin and sores in the genital area - the result of scratching. The bugs typically spread from person to person via sexual activity, as they did in Henderson's case.
Pubic lice can be eradicated by treating the area with a prescription wash containing permethrin, an insecticide. Combing the pubic hear with a fine-tooth comb can help remove lice eggs (nits). Washing clothing and linen in hot water can help keep the infestation from recurring. Items that can't be washed should be sprayed with a medicated spray or sealed in a plastic bag for 10 14 days to suffocate any lice.
Although teenagers are most vulnerable, anyone can get crabs. As Henderson says, "Guess I learned the hard way that crabs do not discriminate."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20074639-10391704.html
Talk about lousy luck.
Henderson, now 77, says she and Lindsay had a one-night stand after he put the moves on her over drinks at a Beverly Hills hotel.
"I was lonely," she writes in "Life Is Not a Stage," according to Reuters. "I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. So, what did I do? I did it."
The next morning, she woke with regrets - in the form of "little black things" crawling over her body, the New York Daily News reported. A doctor helped her get rid of the blood-sucking bugs, and Linsday sent flowers and a letter of apology.
Pubic lice, whose scientific name is Phthirus pubis, typically cause intense itching in areas covered by public hair, which is where they hang out and where they lay their eggs. In addition to itching, people infected with public lice sometimes develop bluish-gray skin and sores in the genital area - the result of scratching. The bugs typically spread from person to person via sexual activity, as they did in Henderson's case.
Pubic lice can be eradicated by treating the area with a prescription wash containing permethrin, an insecticide. Combing the pubic hear with a fine-tooth comb can help remove lice eggs (nits). Washing clothing and linen in hot water can help keep the infestation from recurring. Items that can't be washed should be sprayed with a medicated spray or sealed in a plastic bag for 10 14 days to suffocate any lice.
Although teenagers are most vulnerable, anyone can get crabs. As Henderson says, "Guess I learned the hard way that crabs do not discriminate."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20074639-10391704.html






