Dune Discussion Thread[Spoilers Allowed]

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the editing and structure of this telling.

it had some pacing issues and it was rushed in bits…

this reminded me of the ending to Dark Matter Season 3…

like the director made this shit fully believing that there will be a part 2 to flesh out a lot of details that got rushed over… I just hope that it won’t be like Dark Matter and we don’t don’t get a true ending ..

personally I would love to see the entire story put on the big screen… just leave out the part where his son becomes a fucking worm… that’s when the books lost me.

Last edited:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
How the fuck can you green light a part 1 without green lighting a part 2… this is horseshit.

this is Justice league all over again…

This isnt the type of science fiction that will have big numbers, I think you have to be a real scifi fan to enjoy this. They will have a problem getting casual viewers to see this.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
How the fuck can you green light a part 1 without green lighting a part 2… this is horseshit.

this is Justice league all over again…

I enjoyed the movie but you're right,why greenlight a first movie but not a second one,just to leave people hanging.... :smh:

Looks like the studio is giving half answers for a possible Dune sequel.
Probably will wait to see box office results over the next couple months.

Atleast,we got a Northern Lights(Golden Compass)TV show to replace the movie.

Should have been an HBO Max series. This shit was boring as fuck.

100% agree...Then,again I don't think alot of people would have watched it. They would have said it was the scifi version of Game of Thrones even though Dune came out a few decades before the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
why greenlight a first movie but not a second one,just to leave people hanging
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert-Pattinson-Batman.jpeg

:lol:

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't get the challenge at the end. They had the brutha acting like a raving dog. Wtf? Didn't understand why that was necessary

I partially got the challenge, because its a trope you see a lot in scifi.
"Challenge the leader and win then YOU become the leader" - As in Mirror Universe Star Trek, Chronicles of Riddick etc
lol, Chronicles of Riddick - 'You keep what you kill' :rolleyes:

But, why didn't Jamis challenge Stilgar, but instead choose Paul. I didn't get that part.

And nah, I didn't care for the raving part either.

Last edited:

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Also, the director's cut will need a scene where Duncan teaches Paul to fly on Arrakis.
Or a missing line or something.

Paul is shown to have fighting lessons. OK
He watches training videos about the planet. So, he knows about walking across the sand to avoid sand worms. OK
Where did he learn to fly a damn insect plane?
That scene where he is evading missiles, i mean, that's some expert level flying.
That is bad story writing, you cant leave the Paul/flight training scene out.

I still like the movie but, added scenes with Jamis/Paul flying will help clear things up.

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Also, the director's cut will need a scene where Duncan teaches Paul to fly on Arrakis.

He watches training videos about the planet. So, he knows about walking across the sand to avoid sand worms. OK
That scene where he is evading missiles, i mean, that's some expert level flying.

I still like the movie but, added scenes with Jamis/Paul flying will help clear things up.
IMO this movie neglects a lot of lines, tropes and themes that are integral to the dune saga.

Like why have the scene when paul fights gurney and says he is not in the mood...But you leave out the classic line 'mood is a thing for cattle and love play!' ?!?

No mention of the weirding way (maybe that will be in part 2.)

It's like he is doing a variation of themes touched on in other adaptations while at the same time hoping/leaning on the fact that you the viewer has seen the other adaptaion so you can appreciate the nuance and differences.

I was loving the interpretation and interaction on caladan. The computing effect of Thufir hywat when leto asked him how much the trip cost was a beautiful fx trick, But that's something we never see again?!?

When they arrived at Arrakis the actual struggle they had to keep spice production up was well demonstrated.

Than IMO this film does something that in my mind made no sense, the next 3 parts seem/feel like looped versions of the same scene. Like 3 different tellings of a scene that in past movies all coincided together.

This imo created a pacing issue that made this prologue longer than it needed to be.

Upon my 2nd watch I really like the sound and the alien language talk they were doing for the sardaukar, but by not really introducing the emperor and explaining how he uses the sardaukar to keep the other great houses under heel their true purpose is missed.

Also no mention or real explanation of the guild navigators is just criminal.

Like I stated earlier this movie really is hoping you watched the previous ones so you can appreciate the genius of Villeneuve...:hmm:

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i watched it last night
it was pretty decent
i understood a lot of things because i have read the the books
i lot of details aren't explained because in the book the were narrated and not part of dialog between characters
i have always thought that Dune and the Foundation had to be made in multiple parts because they are so complex
and cannot be told in a small time frame
i hope they figure this out because the whole Dune series is very good
God Emperor of Dune is my favorite

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed it. There's no way they can leave it at the first movie after setting up so much for the sequences. Then again, Hollywood gon Hollywood.

This is definitely not a movie you can watch casually. You gotta REALLY pay attention because shit can get confusing real fast if you haven't read the novels or saw the first movie.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Dune but the duality of the dreams sequenced were confusing.
I mean, Paul fights and kills Jamis in the end.
But in dreams sequences Jamis is friendly to Paul and seems like a guide to him.

The Jamis thing confused me. I was thinking the same thing. He looked like he played such a bigger part of for Paul in his premonitions.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This shit should have been an automatic multiple movie thing like Harry Potter. My brother is a fan of the old movie and he was telling me this movie barely got into the story.

I'm still mad the Walter Mosley books weren't al greenlit with Denzel and Don Cheadle. Devil In A Blue Dress was fucking genius. But it didnt'd o numbers so Hollywood said NAH. We were robbed!

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
They definitely hit a grand slam with the visuals. The story seemed like almost all of it was just set up for the next movie(s).
that's because it is
this movie was the first half of the first book
one thing of note they didn't flesh out the minor characters of the Atreides enough

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
They definitely hit a grand slam with the visuals. The story seemed like almost all of it was just set up for the next movie(s).
I love screen times. You can tell the advancement of a story based on how many minutes you have left.

I figured at around 23 minutes into the movie there had to be a sequel or a 3rd film.

I will say this: it has forced me to read the book.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
his dreams are potential futures
he hasn't gotten the hang of it yet
The grandmother alluded to his half ass training. I think she was more pissed that mother didn’t go all in either way. If you’re gonna have a son and teach him the way of the witches go all in as Freda did with Loki.

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The grandmother alluded to his half ass training. I think she was more pissed that mother didn’t go all in either way. If you’re gonna have a son and teach him the way of the witches go all in as Freda did with Loki.
nah that's not it
but i can't tell you without giving spoilers

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member

That is bad story writing, you cant leave the Paul/flight training scene out.

hes rich. He was trained in everything.
nah that's not it
but i can't tell you without giving spoilers
i watched the movie. Nana said they planted other Messiahs all over the place.