Drake : I'm Upset video

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I said Drake wasn't hugely popular in America, did you read what I had written? He wasn't, I didn't say no one knew him; you are confusing the two.

Drake as Jimmy was BECAUSE the show had a huge cult following from back in the day till now.

The first time I saw/heard him he was introduced as that kid from Degrassi.\\that is EXACTLY how he even got recognition BEFORE that mixtape.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
and like I said you can go check yourself.

I can only tell you what I know.

Degrassi is a damn institution in Canada and became a phenom on PBS WAY before Drake during Drake and well after drake.

and ANYONE on that show?

enjoyed that cult following as you can see from the reaction from this video which has members from the entire 30 year run.

I really don't know what you looking for.

it aint THAT deep.

if you saying Drake aint shit or Degrassi aint sh*t or Drake being on Degrassi wasn't sh*t..

well OK.
The onus is on you to check yourself, because you are making claims that you can't back up. & you're saying Degrassi is an institution in Canada, well....my comments were about his popularity IN AMERICAN so what are you even talking about?

You are just talking to hear yourself talk, come with the evidence or just be quiet.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Drake as Jimmy was BECAUSE the show had a huge cult following.

The first time I saw/heard him he was introduced as that kid from Degrassi.
The cult following came later which lead to the conventions in 2017. Didn't you read my example about Star Trek? I'm repeating myself with you.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The onus is on you to check yourself, because you are making claims that you can't back up. & you're saying Degrassi is an institution in Canada, well....my comments were about his popularity IN AMERICAN so what are you even talking about?

You are just talking to hear yourself talk, come with the evidence or just be quiet.

the SHOW was popular here

he was ON it.

Its like Doctor Who, it was big on PBS had a cult following in the states.

how EXACTLY do you want to PROVE his popularity what is YOUR barometer to measure that BACK then?

wait fam...hold on

we aint REALLY going this deep on Drake are we?

this is a very light skin discussion I feel we need to drop.

agreed?

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the SHOW was popular here

he was ON it.

Its like Doctor Who, it was big on PBS had a cult following in the states.

how EXACTLY do you want to PROVE his popularity what is YOUR barometer to measure that BACK then?

wait fam...hold on

we aint REALLY going this deep on Drake are we?

this is a very light skin discussion I feel we need to drop.

agreed?
Homie, when was it popular here (America)? Give me the years of it's peak popularity....

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High came on PBS from 1987-1991 and Degrassi The Next Generation on Teen Nick from 2001-2014 and in syndication on the CW
1987? Shit it was on back then?

I think my childhood didn't have teen Nick on it lol. I went from Nickelodeon to BET. I think where I loved it came on this channel i think was called Noggin or some shit.

I'm a casual rap fan at best and this is the first thing that came to my mind because I remember him refusing to come back and do guest spots when alumni would return and all of sudden he does this.
Right. I never seen him associate with those guys on a mainstream form. This reminds me how he was posting tough and had the fake intimidating guys in his video....when he beefed with Meek.....all of a sudden he was dancing in his videos with timb boots and turtle neck sweaters.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think it will though my guy. The same way we all knew Drake was a fraud from his inception, was the same way we know that this L gon stay with him forever. He'll still duck and dive, while his fans keep him above water but whenever we see this dude now, Pusha's face should automatically appear.

Nice try, but he's not escaping the culture of hip hop.
You right. This can't be the first thing we see and get from him after the Pusha record. NAaa.....not at all.

Duece

This profile is now managed by A.I.
BGOL Investor
Drake had already been signed by Young Money and he was co-signed by Lil Wayne, the hottest rapper in the world at the time. Of course, he got some publicity.

But he also was seemingly a good sport about the Wheelchair Jimmy jokes, which allowed the Degrassi crowd to follow him into rap and effectively allow him to distance himself from the character without the jokes lingering but the fact is, before he became Drake, he was known for playing Jimmy Brooks or Wheelchair Jimmy, him getting shot on the show was probably one of the most shocking scenes in the history of that show.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But he also was seemingly a good sport about the Wheelchair Jimmy jokes, which allowed the Degrassi crowd to follow him into rap and effectively allow him to distance himself from the character without the jokes lingering but the fact is, before he became Drake, he was known for playing Jimmy Brooks or Wheelchair Jimmy, him getting shot on the show was probably one of the most shocking scenes in the history of that show.
My point was his popularity while he was on Degrassi, though. Not once he was signed to Young Money.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
Bruh, Patrice would've retired. Just said fuck it and checked out. His contemporaries have toned it down some (Bill, Jimmy, etc), but it wasn't in Patrice to do that.

Fam you don't think Patrice would have something to say on the #metoo witchhunt movement?

*two cents*

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
^^^

there you go

hate all ya'll want that video gonna last the whole summer and f*ck around might get a movie made

how in the f*ck does the 6 god SOMEHOW win again????

*ahem*

KING PUSH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

he too big to take out right now.... but he cant walk around with that chip on his shoulder no more..

push smacked that shit the fuck off..

but drake is still drake and as long as he cranks out bangas he will be fine....

this was a really smart move tho, hits his hard core fans right to the heart..

without being too sappy about it....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
d6b16b4ad9eefda6074d02b85c14c974.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I never seen one episode of this shit ever.

not surprised.

there are ton of these type of shows that have HUGE followings that people have NEVER seen

I know people who have NEVER scene one single moment of Friends, Seinfeld, MASH, Roseanne, Doctor Who, Homeland, This Is Us etc...

that doesn't mitigate the fact that these shows have /had HUGE followings then and now.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
not surprised.

there are ton of these type of shows that have HUGE followings that people have NEVER seen

I know people who have NEVER scene one single moment of Friends, Seinfeld, MASH, Roseanne, Doctor Who, Homeland, This Is Us etc...

that doesn't mitigate the fact that these shows have /had HUGE followings then and now.
But I knew of those shows I just never watched I would see that shit on and skip over it. Defrassy never popped up on my guide. Is it a Canadian only show?

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
without even watching the video..

ya'll front if ya'll want but Degrassi was the shit back in the days

watched all episodes on PBS and even the some of the later stff

And Drake showed a whole lot of promise

since he was a kid

he was always really good at playing a character and saying other people's lines.
Never seen that shit in my life .

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
But I knew of those shows I just never watched I would see that shit on and skip over it. Defrassy never popped up on my guide. Is it a Canadian only show?

Never seen that shit in my life .

nah, it was big here but not your age range at all

so unless you had kids or watched pbs back in the day you would have completely missed it

trust I could name a TON of shows you never seen let alone heard of that a HUGE segment of people would die for.

Which is cool.

We gotta accept EVERYTHING aint on our radar like that.

I wouldn't have heard of degrassi if I wasn't a pbs nerd back in the day

we got a gargoyles thread where the EXACT SAME DISCUSSION is being had.

Its just like that.

best part of bgol to me is that it really put me on to many things I would have NEVER knew of

music TV movies tech investments

and it has really helped me especially work related because you can talk/relate to anyone.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I'm Canadian and I didn't even know Degrassi "the next generation" like that....or was even aware that Drake use to be on the show after I heard his first mixtape, simply because I wasn't the demographic that it catered to...I grew up in the 80's/90's and was familiar with the First Generation - Spike, Wheels , snake, Joey Jeremiah, Blt and em....

Shit was maad popular tho...and still in syndication on some channel somewhere

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
he too big to take out right now.... but he cant walk around with that chip on his shoulder no more..

push smacked that shit the fuck off..

but drake is still drake and as long as he cranks out bangas he will be fine....

this was a really smart move tho, hits his hard core fans right to the heart..

without being too sappy about it....

Agreed. SMART move by his team...

Go home to where you know you are loved and regroup.

But yeah "Tough Guy Drake." is DEAD dead.

To quote The Wire, Aubrey got caught out there playing to many away games...

That 'Degrassi' & Chick rap money love will always be there.

*two cents*

Duece

This profile is now managed by A.I.
BGOL Investor
There's no revisionist history here and I mentioned this in another post, Degrassi is/was a teen centric show, so if you weren't a teenager watching PBS in the late 80s or weren't a teenager in the George W. Bush era, you probably weren't watching it..