futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
An older, but interesting read.....

10 Classic Dr. Strange Storylines That Would Be Perfect For Cumberbatch

Diana Biller
12/10/14 12:15pm

zr2mwhvinsatb5oqqaa3.jpg

At long last, we know who's playing Dr. Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme, in Marvel's upcoming movie, due Nov. 2016. But who is Dr. Strange? And what's so great about him? We've rounded up eight fantastic storylines about the surgeon-turned-wizard that are both awesome, and provide great material for Benedict Cumberbatch.
Top image: Artwork by Gene Colan.

1) "The Origin of Doctor Strange," Strange Tales #115

Origin stories may be a dime a dozen these days, but Dr. Strange's story is something a little different—and it's tailor-made for the Sherlock star. Stephen Strange was a brilliant, selfish, and incredibly arrogant neurosurgeon before a car accident shattered his hands and ended his surgical career. Unable to accept that he could no longer operate and unwilling to assist other doctors ("I must be the best…the greatest!!! Or else…nothing!" Strange exclaims) he seeks out the Ancient One for magical assistance, and it's there that he begins his magical training and his path back to goodness and humanity. Put simply, no one does brilliant, selfish, and arrogant like Cumberbatch, and this is one origin story that might be worth the time.

cx8f45p3wlm6wpbu4e3z.jpg

2) "Dr. Strange, Master of Black Magic" and "Return to the Nightmare World," Strange Tales # 110 and #116.

These stories revolve around the villain Nightmare, the ruler of a dark dream dimension — who, in our dream casting, is played by either David Bowie or Tilda Swinton. Nightmare's fantastical, psychological menace seems like the perfect foil for the actor who brought such layered intensity to the role of Alan Turing in The Imitation Game. (And Steve Ditko's astonishing artwork, particularly trippy in "Return to the Nightmare World," seems like the perfect backdrop.)

xsek8rlkkjl5d6zbhnyg.jpg

3) "The Domain of the Dread Dormammu" and "Duel with the Dread Dormammu," Strange Tales #126 and #127

Speaking of trippy artwork, this two-part introduction to longtime Strange villain Dormammu would make one beautiful psychedelic movie. In these issues Strange crosses into a dark domain to confront Dormammu, the "most powerful of the dwellers in the realm of darkness," and stop him from crossing over into our world. It's a great story, and it's well-suited to Cumberbatch: Strange has to face some morally complicated choices, and there's no straightforward victory at the end. And then there's this moment, which he would just kill:

Clea: "Stop! You must go no further! The Dread Dormammu waits to slayyou!" Strange: "I am aware of that!"

vughi5b2otbenrexwhfl.jpg

4) "Beware Tiboro, the Tyrant of the Sixth Dimension," Strange Tales #129

In this story, a pundit panel television show wants Dr. Strange to come on as a guest — and when he won't, they decide to prove that magic doesn't exist. Of course, their plan goes horribly awry, and Dr. Strange has to save the day. This falls directly into a major Cumberbatch talent: portraying a character who is right, when a lot of other people are very, very wrong. The final fight scene also shows Strange's tricky side, although it comes with some strange notions of fair play that would probably have to be jettisoned.

h27usv47wtbicfnv670o.jpg

5) "The Silver Dagger," Dr. Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts #1-5

This arc features an honest-to-god talking caterpillar, and if you don't want to see Benedict Cumberbatch exchanging rapid-fire witty dialogue with an enormous talking caterpillar, then we have very different goals for this film. Strange's character here also seems to fit neatly into Cumberbatch's oeuvre: he veers between flippant and extremely angry, always with a nice veneer of arrogance.

tqynxw9smkzdnk3bqknj.jpg

6) "To Have Loved and Lost," Doctor Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts #55

Although it's a terrible introduction to the character—the issue is a sort of mind fuck about whether Strange's magical powers are even real or just a delusion—the dark tone would suit Cumberbatch well, and he could probably hit a rough-looking Strange who's questioning his own sanity right out of the park. Plus, the storyline of Strange dealing with the departure of his lover/disciple is uncommonly moving and intense.

ererd4erhrvgagalidjb.jpg

7) X-Statix Presents: Deadgirl #1-5

A big departure in tone for Strange, this seriously funny story features a fussy and depressed Dr. Strange teaming up with Dead Girl to stop a great band of back-from-the-dead villains. There's a lot of the dry humor that Cumberbatch excels at, along with plenty of room for witty banter. Some sample dialogue:

Strange: By the waxing moons of the lilac planet…I sense a malign hand at work." Cop: Thank god you're here. They're holed up inside. You'll need a loudspeaker. Strange: "No. No loud-speaker. The enigmatic orb of Snnr will suffice. I mean, do. It'll do."

pxjfhls6c1ect4tkzzn5.jpg

8) Doctor Strange: The Oath

This limited series from Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin is widely thought to be the gold standard in Dr. Strange comics, and for good reason. It's a current, funny, relevant take on the good Doctor, who is portrayed with a huge ego and a ton of charisma (both standard issue items for Cumberbatch characters). There's also a pretty good part for the Night Nurse, and Rosario Dawson—who's playing the character on Netflix's Daredevil series—could be awesome opposite Cumberbatch.

ivkbmvs8mzh0swcosxzp.jpg

9) "The Eternity Saga," Strange Tales #130-146

This arc is remarkable both for its length and its vision. It's an epic battle between Strange, Baron Mordo, and Dormammu that features amazing fight scenes, impressive plot twists, and some truly stunning Ditko artwork. The great part is that Dr. Strange gets pushed to his absolute limits — he's stripped of his powers, rendered blind, and chained up, while fleeing from his most deadly and powerful enemy. Dr. Strange is searching for the mysterious Eternity, who's basically a galaxy enclosed in the body of a human.

cilr59wiq3vooaqrbabj.jpg

10) "Time Doom!," Marvel Premiere #11-14

Wildly blasphemous, this time-traveling epic sees Dr. Strange and his nemesis Baron Mordo chasing the evil sorcerer Sise-Neg (Genesis spelled backwards) throughout time, as Sise-Neg goes backwards to the beginning of the universe. Sise-Neg actually succeeds in recreating the entire Marvel Universe and becomes, basically God. For crazy cosmic weirdness, it's hard to beat this level of insanity. The story was so controversial that Stan Lee wanted Steve Englehart and Frank Bruner to print a retraction, but the two made up a fake letter from a preacher praising the story, and printed that instead. What's great about this story is it gives Dr. Strange a perfect foil — another sorcerer who is willing to "play God," to the point of actually becoming God. And magic would be a fascinating way to introduce time travel to the Marvel movie universe.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/10-classic-dr-strange-storylines-that-would-be-perfect-1669344369

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It looked very good however at this point my issue with it is twofold: One, why have a female as The ancient one? Two, if you're gonna have a female as The Ancient One, why have this pasty ass white broad as her instead of an Asian? I don't like that shit, but its not at all a deal killer. If indeed the pasty ass broad is The Ancient One, who is the voice at the beginning talking to Dr. Strange that says: "Steven Strange...Might I offer you some advice. Forget everything that you think you know" BTW, where is Wong and will Clea be in the storyline?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It looked very good however at this point my issue with it is twofold: One, why have a female as The ancient one? Two, if you're gonna have a female as The Ancient One, why have this pasty ass white broad as her instead of an Asian? I don't like that shit, but its not at all a deal killer. If indeed the pasty ass broad is The Ancient One, who is the voice at the beginning talking to Dr. Strange that says: "Steven Strange...Might I offer you some advice. Forget everything that you think you know" BTW, where is Wong and will Clea be in the storyline?
sounds like chiwetel voice

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I'm not that all excited for this movie. I think they should have gotten an unknown for Dr. Strange, not Benadict whatever-his-face. Dude can act but they are shoe-horning him in.

I also think Dr.Strange should be a very different kind of movie. Not a play on action as much as "wonderment". Magic, and mind bending stuff. More Harry Potter less, Avenger style story telling. I'm still going on day one. I was a heaven collector of Dr.Strange back in the late 80's when I was in Junior High.

daddyfatsacks9000

Unapologetic Heterosexual Male
BGOL Investor
I'm really interested in how the MCU is going to to tackle the subject of magic. In Thor is explained as "advanced technology". Then they say there was a deleted or unfilmed scene from Ant Man, featuring Cumberbatch, where with Antman venturing into the quantum realm, somehow Dr. Strange could sense that disturbance and assisted Antman to escape. Thus why he heard his daughters voice. So I can't wait to see how they work with the concepts of mysticism and magic. In the comics universe I've always like how DC handle magic more so than Marvel. Marvel comes at it from a scientific angle whereas in DC, magic just exists and its it's own seperate entity, with it's own rules and laws.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
for those mentioning inception...these effects look 10 times better.

btw, i'm posting this from inside the theater waiting for Dr. Strange to start.

they busy playin some effed up kids movies about a bunny cop, but i'm patient.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Damn I love what Disney /marvel are doing.

They have you hyped and excited about movies for fall and winter release.

We got Dr strange in Nov star wars rogue in Dec! No more limiting these movies to summer release dates.

:bravo:

mess around and win some awards too...

TRUST that is next on there list

you saw how they slowly steadily and consistently campaigned till they got animated movies an Oscar category?

and then got the nomination list expanded and got their movies added consistently?

The Mouse don't play around.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
One, why have a female as The ancient one? Two, if you're gonna have a female as The Ancient One, why have this pasty ass white broad as her instead of an Asian? I don't like that shit
A. Because whites like to see whites and make no mistake, these movies are primarily aimed at white dollars.
B. I don't like that shit, either. Most of the times when you see Asians in a movie, its either a hot chick, a villain, or kung-fu thug #3 getting his ass kicked by a white hero.
Whites and their white washing.
Also, anyone comparing this to Inception doesn't know jack shit about Dr. Strange. Just because they use the same effect for reality-warping doesn't mean they are alike.