Discussion: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - confirmed Sam Raimi directing UPDATE: REVIEWS!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Marvel Starts ‘Doctor Strange’ Search: Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch Early Wish-Listers

BenedictCumberbatch__140607005614.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Here’s some hot superhero dish to take into the weekend. There are reports tonight that Peyton Reed and David Wain are being considered for Ant-Man, but man, we are progressing down the comedy director food chain, and this is starting to feel stale.

So how about Doctor Strange?

Marvel is putting together its cast list, and I’m hearing that Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch are on it. While Marvel has teased this property with mentions in films including Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the film solidified and felt urgent when Scott Derrickson tweeted this week that he will direct the script by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer.

tom-hardy__121217174314__140606205530.jpg

The character has been around since the early 1960s, during that crazy period where just about all the spandex-clad heroes in all the Hollywood blockbusters were hatched at Marvel Comics headquarters (that might be a movie). Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created the character in 1963 as a neurosurgeon who serves as the Sorcerer Supreme, protecting Earth against magical and mystical threats with powers of sorcery, mysticism, and martial arts. Marvel’s Kevin Feige is producing.

These two guys aren’t the only ones in the mix, but let’s face it, they are both poised to become major stars. Hardy, by way of playing Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, is closer. He just starred in the superb Steven Knight-directed drama Locke, and he wrapped Child 44 and Mad Max: Fury Road. Cumberbatch, coming off August: Osage County and 12 Years A Slave, next will be seen starring in the Morten Tyldum-directed Imitation Game, which The Weinstein Company opens on November 21 during Oscar season.

doctor-strange__140603221036-275x154__140606210614.jpg

Both of them have been lining up movies left and right, so scheduling might be an issue. We’ll see who Marvel ultimately lands, but it’s hard to go wrong either way here if one of these guys get the job.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
dunno but they gave him the tony stark goat-T in da animated movie....

doctor_strange_animated_movie_image__7_.jpg

DoubleT

Potential Star
Registered
Aidan Gillen the Mayor Thomas Carcetti from the Wire and Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish from the Game of Thrones!

Y2QQnMP.jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

Jay_from_dade

RawStrippers&Nut N Models
Certified Pussy Poster
Aidan Gillen the Mayor Thomas Carcetti from the Wire and Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish from the Game of Thrones!

Y2QQnMP.jpg

You must be a comic book fan? This is the number one choice of people who actually read comics.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah, he's only 5'9" but Cumberbatch is only 6'0".
Wow...Sherlock looks taller on tv.
Littlefinger could use the height as to explain Strange being an arrogant jerk, he could have a complex and always trying to prove people wrong & make them look stupid.

DoubleT

Potential Star
Registered
You must be a comic book fan? This is the number one choice of people who actually read comics.

Yeah, just getting back into it. Starting to read these two. Pretty much a fan of X-Men and now the Family (Batman Family). Didn't follow Dr. Strange too much but the Marvel Wiki says that he is 6'2" but that didn't stop them from casting RDJ as Iron Man. He's only 5'9" and Tony Stark is 6'1".

UltimateComicsSpiderMan_1_MilesVariant-666x1024-e1360166831761.jpg

mighty-avengers-1.jpg

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Either Littlefinger from Game of Thrones or Oberyn from Game of Thrones.

Sent from my Nexus 5

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
man tom hardy playing too many roles as it is..bane,mad max,and soon to be sam fisher(splinter cell)

sent from SG

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
if they were using dr. strange as a side character then ya but if he's the lead then I can't see him holding it down

Y2QQnMP.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Doctor Strange Is Definitely Going to Have Some Kick-Ass Fight Scenes

Doctor Strange's fight scenes won't all be CGI tomfoolery. At least that's what we can make of the news that, per TheWrap, martial artist Scott Adkins has joined the cast of Marvel's Benedict Cumberbatch–starring project. His role hasn't been revealed, but supposedly Adkins will take part in "several major action scenes featuring hand-to-hand combat." Also unconfirmed (but does this news even need to be confirmed?): Adkins's scenes will be freakin' awesome.

Why? Let's do a little bit of digging into his portfolio. First, there's this video, titled "The Way of Scott Adkins," which tells you that Scott Adkins feels very good about the way of Scott Adkins (in a way that makes other people feel very bad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjcbZTljaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGiGhEz3S4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruPtgt40aQ

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chiwetel Ejiofor on Doctor Strange and the Mania of Benedict Cumberbatch’s Fans

Perhaps it's fitting that in director Billy Ray's time-spanning thriller Secret in Their Eyes, Chiwetel Ejiofor plays a dogged FBI investigator pursuing one unsolved murder case for 13 years: After all, Ejiofor's Hollywood career started 13 years ago, too, after his star-making role in 2002's Dirty Pretty Things put him on every acclaimed auteur's radar. Since then, Ejiofor has toplined a Best Picture winner with 12 Years a Slave, in addition to starring in movies both intimate and major, including this year's major hit The Martian.We met up with Ejiofor recently in Los Angeles (where the actor was so well-rested and fresh-faced that you'd never know he just flew in from the South Asian set of Marvel's new movie Doctor Strange), and asked him about his carefully considered career and the frenzy inspired by his friend Benedict Cumberbatch.

You’ve had a pretty packed year: In addition to this film, you were in The Martian and Z for Zachariah, you did the stage play Everyman in London, and now you’ve signed on to be a part of the big Marvel machine.

It feels great to be involved in so many things that I really love, that are happening around the same time. And it’s really engaging and gratifying to be able to mix up film and theater. I had a terrific summer in London doing Everyman at the Olivier, one of the best experiences that I’ve had, really. Especially because the summer was slightly hysterical in London. People don’t get that much sun there, so everybody gets a little mad when the sun comes out!

When you’ve got a year where you’re that busy, do you feel more at ease as an actor?

I don’t feel that, particularly. I don’t know if that’s a fault — maybe it is. I feel very engaged with the work I’m doing now, but I don’t feel I need to book myself up for the next four years in order to feel secure. I’m very happy to see what happens, and the not knowing is what I think makes being an actor exciting.

Although some of that not knowing may be taken care of, given that your Marvel contract probably asked you to sign on for potential Doctor Strange sequels.

Obviously, the idea is that you’ll be part of something that could have more incarnations, but that’s sort of not the focus. The focus is that you just want to make the film that you’re making as good as you can make it. That’s what I’m in engaged with at the moment. It’s a really fascinating project.

So when you have time off, you’re okay with it?

You never know. We pushed back briefly on the start date for Secret in Their Eyes, and it allowed me to have a little break at the end of last year where I thought I’d have time off, and then Ridley Scott called and said, “Hey, listen, I have this movie.” So suddenly I could go to Budapest and film The Martian. It’s stuff like that you can’t predict, and you just have to be open to the experiences offered to you — and that particular experience with Ridley was incredible. It’s great that people loved that movie as much as I did.

The original Argentine version of Secret in Their Eyes won the Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar several years ago. How much did that film influence your decision to star in the remake?

I hadn’t seen it before we got the script, but I’ve seen it since, and I thought it was amazing. Billy Ray wanted to meet and have a conversation about it, and we had a talk and it was good. And then more people came onboard, and it was very exciting when both Julia [Roberts] and Nicole [Kidman] wanted to make the film. Both iconic actresses at this point, legends in their own lifetime, and I don’t think either of them have worked together before.

We meet your character at a point of total, bags-under-his-eyes obsession … but today, sitting opposite you, you look handsome, well-rested, and completely at ease. How much do you throw yourself into a character’s mind-set when they’re losing it entirely?

You have to. You have to try to experience it as much as you can. I was very interested in what this time difference would mean to somebody. To be obsessed with something for 13 years … what would that do to somebody’s mind? And to play the two time zones was really fascinating. To try to play the lightness of spirit in the early times without it being cute, with it being honest, was interesting.

You've talked in interviews about how skeptical you are of fame … and yet you are famous, especially after having starred in a Best Picture winner. So how do you deal with it when you can sense people in this room reacting to your celebrity?

Yeah, I just don’t think about it. [Laughs.] I don’t worry about it, primarily because there’s nothing you can do about it. This is something that I’m very grateful for, but on the whole, people are very respectful with me. They’re nice, and they ask for an autograph or photograph, and it very rarely has any kind of hysterical quality to it. That’s the thing I don’t respond very well to, and I see it very often with friends of mine. For example, I’m working with Benedict Cumberbatch at the moment, and people have that quality when they’re around him. They get a little hysterical about it, and that is really odd to watch. To be in the center of that is very peculiar.

Maybe you get less of that because you star in such sophisticated projects?
Well, so does he! [Laughs.] But people still get a bit nuts. Each actor influences the people who go to see their movies in totally different ways. It’s fascinating to see that distinction in action, but I’m sort of glad it’s not something I contend with.

I’m actually surprised to see you in L.A. today because I know you and Benedict have been filming Doctor Strange in some far-flung location.
I was in Nepal, yeah. I had to fly all the way back from Nepal to here. Which is a long way, as it turns out!

It’s presumed that you’re the adversary in the film, Baron Mordo. What drew you to playing the antagonist?

In a strange way, I don’t want to answer that question, if you don’t mind. Because I feel like it’s linked to things I shouldn’t get into. I hope it will be interesting when we bring the film out to see what those characters are like — or what they’re not like. You’re gonna have to wait and see!

Last question for you, then: Ten years ago, you starred as a drag queen in a little indie called Kinky Boots. Are you surprised by how much of an afterlife that story has had since it was turned into this Tony-winning musical that has now gone all over the globe?

It’s been great! I met Joel Edgerton on that film, who’s become a very close friend of mine, so whenever I see anything advertising it, I just remember that time and getting to know him very well and having a great time. I think that film was a little ahead of its time — now there’d be a really major appetite for a film like that. Then, people were still trying to skirt around the drag-queen or transgender community, and they weren’t as engaged or embracing of those communities as they are now. But, yeah, I was in London over the summer and I saw a policeman wearing the red boots, and it was amazing. I mean, talk about the unpredictability of my profession: It’s just amazing, where things go and the avenues they take. Decisions you make can reverberate in incredibly surprising ways, and that’s thrilling.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/chiwetel-ejiofor-talks-doctor-strange.html

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Man Chiwetel shouldn't play second fiddle to anyone. Top 10 best actor in Hollywood today.

I was upset when he didn't get Black Panther(However, I get it! Tho I believe the same age he looks older that Chadwick).

Then he gets cast as second fiddle to Cumberbatch.

Point Blank ol'boy NEEDS to be the lead in one of these comic-book franchises. Similiar with Idris Elba. Too much damn talent to be a...back up!

:smh::smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Man Chiwetel shouldn't play second fiddle to anyone. Top 10 best actor in Hollywood today.

I was upset when he didn't get Black Panther(However, I get it! Tho I believe the same age he looks older that Chadwick).

Then he gets cast as second fiddle to Cumberbatch.

Point Blank ol'boy NEEDS to be the lead in one of these comic-book franchises. Similiar with Idris Elba. Too much damn talent to be a...back up!

:smh::smh:

I understand your point but remember

the lead aint always what is cracked up to be...

hell Loki stole damn near 3 movies

imagine an actor of HIS caliber playing a conflicted villain?

I actually prefer this

I would love to see a powerful black villain in these films.

Last edited: