Black Fashion Icon and Former Editor of Vogue, Andre Leon Talley dies at 73

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Not really familiar with him other than surface level. Didn't realize he was 73. Always looked younger to me.

RIP to an icon in his field.

Mad Genius

Avid CAC Slapper
BGOL Investor
'The few minutes you spent with him had an enormous impact': Parent pens emotional tribute to André Leon Talley, thanking him for inspiring their late son to pursue art school dreams even though he only had a few years to live
  • Former Vogue editor Talley died of a heart attack this week at the age of 73
  • Tributes have poured in from friends and colleagues, including Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour, Karlie Kloss, Nicole Kidman, Viola Davis, and Paris Hilton
  • A Massachusetts parent shared their own words of praise in a comment on his New York Times obituary
  • The unnamed parent said their late son had met Talley in the late '90s after being accepted to art school
  • Their son been born with a heart condition and only had a few more years to live and wasn't sure if attending art school was worth it
  • Talley talked him into it by speaking passionately about art, and the parent said their son's last years 'were filled with joy, creativity and adventure'
By CARLY STERN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 11:50 EST, 20 January 2022 | UPDATED: 14:08 EST, 20 January 2022

22shares
View comments

53167511-10423115-A_Massachusetts_parent_has_written_a_heartwarming_tribute_to_lat-m-185_1642696498963.jpg

Since André Leon Talley's death at age 73 on Tuesday, loving tributes have poured in for the former Vogue editor from stars like Karlie Kloss, Nicole Kidman, and Viola Davis — but it's a eulogy by an anonymous parent from Massachusetts that's leaving internet users clutching their hearts.
In a comment left on the New York Times' obituary for Talley on Wednesday, the parent wrote directly to Talley, thanking him for having such an impact on their late son's life during a meeting in the late '90s.
The commenter recounted how their son, born with a fatal heart condition, had been at a 'crossroads' when he met Talley, who talked him into pursuing his love of art and helped ensure the last years of his life 'were filled with joy, creativity and adventure.'

The parent thanked Talley for encouraging their son to pursue his artistic dreams, even though the son had only a few years left to live
They continued: 'In the late 90's he met you at a turning point in his life, and the few minutes you spent talking to him made an enormous impact on his future.
'A few days before meeting you he had just been accepted at the art school of his choice. But sadly also learned that he had only a few more years to live (a heart condition he was born with). He was wondering if it was even worth going to school.
'You talked to him about passion, and the longing of his soul to envision and create beauty.
'He decided to go to art school, fully realizing that the clock was ticking. His passion, creativity and happiness grew immeasurably over the next few years as he followed his dream.
'Though he only lived for a few years after graduating, those years were filled with joy, creativity and adventure.
'What more could I as a parent hope for. Though his time was short, my son got to live a little of his dream.
'Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking a few minutes of your day to talk to a young person at the crossroads of their life.
'May your memory be eternal in the hearts of those who love you,' they concluded.

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Post Reported.

No heterosexual male alive deems this dude to be a icon.
Only Fags and Women do.

What happened to Old BGOL? :smh:

Y'all Niggus to Gay Friendly on here.

Take this shit to Lipstick Alley.

I'm making a list of you homo lovers and checking it twice.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Post Reported.

No heterosexual male alive deems this dude to be a icon.
Only Fags and Women do.

What happened to Old BGOL? :smh:

Y'all Niggus to Gay Friendly on here.

Take this shit to Lipstick Alley.

I'm making a list of you homo lovers and checking it twice.

A big fat gay nigga in a comforter and uggs is iconic now????

REALLY BRUH???

Keeping in mind that you have a Kevin Samuels pic in your post.
A Dude who many accuse of being....GAY HIMSELF!!!

Black History is full of Gay Icons.
Do some of US here need to make a list?
Nope.
Because We transcended that shit.
I'm not about to give up my love of works by peeps like Baldwin and Strayhorn because they were Gay.

So we're supposed to be worried about being place on your list because of someone like Talley?

Hell.
I'm a Native New Yorker. I was in Graphics and Publishing at various points since The 80s. I would run into a lot of those Gay Dudes. Especially those tied to the Fashion Industry. Yeah. A few of them "tried". But once I let them know where I stood and that was never happening, it was cool and respect from there.

My ONLY issue with Black Gays/Lesbians are when they do any and every thing to deny their Blackness. Some of those cats can be the worst Assimilationists. And tend to be "Black" when convenient. Honestly, I always felt Talley was one of those.

But I still consider him an Icon.
Especially here in NYC's Fashion Mecca.

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
REALLY BRUH???

Keeping in mind that you have a Kevin Samuels pic in your post.
A Dude who many accuse of being....GAY HIMSELF!!!

Black History is full of Gay Icons.
Do some of US here need to make a list?
Nope.
Because We transcended that shit.
I'm not about to give up my love of works by peeps like Baldwin and Strayhorn because they were Gay.

So we're supposed to be worried about being place on your list because of someone like Talley?

Hell.
I'm a Native New Yorker. I was in Graphics and Publishing at various points since The 80s. I would run into a lot of those Gay Dudes. Especially those tied to the Fashion Industry. Yeah. A few of them "tried". But once I let them know where I stood and that was never happening, it was cool and respect from there.

My ONLY issue with Black Gays/Lesbians are when they do any and every thing to deny their Blackness. Some of those cats can be the worst Assimilationists. And tend to be "Black" when convenient. Honestly, I always felt Talley was one of those.

But I still consider him an Icon.
Especially here in NYC's Fashion Mecca.

Yeah really bruh, accusations of being gay and positively knowing one is gay is 2 different things, stop reaching.

Tell us how he impacted your heterosexual life ?

Did you and ya gay friends wear any of the styles he promoted or designed? If you did y'all looked like fags period.

Vogue is a bitches magazine so how is that iconic for black men that weren't and aren't gay?

Basically your admitting to being a fruit cake.

This fat fag nigga did not have the same impact as the likes of baldwin.

Reading a book and dressing like a bitch is apples and oranges my friend.

Did Baldwin or strayhorn dress like men or fags switching and talking in high pitch voices?

No they didn't. there was no flamboyant shit in them at all.

If it wasn't said you'd probably never know they were gay.

Now sit yo Americas next top model watching ass down somewhere.

Last edited:

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yeah really bruh, accusations of being gay and positively knowing one is gay is 2 different things, stop reaching.

Tell us how he impacted your heterosexual life ?

Did you and ya gay friends wear any of the styles he promoted or designed? If you did y'all looked like a fags period.

Vogue is a bitches magazine so how is that iconic for black men that weren't and aren't gay?

Basically your admitting to being a fruit cake.

This fat fag nigga did not have the same impact as the likes of baldwin.

Reading a book and dressing like a bitch is apples and oranges my friend.

Did Baldwin or strayhorn dress like men or fags switching and talking in high pitch voices?

No they didn't. there was no flamboyant shit in them at all.

If it wasn't said you'd probably never know they were gay.

Now sit yo Americas next top model watching ass down somewhere.

Stop OVER-Reaching Bruh.

Those Cats I ran into during the 80s in my line of work and all the Clubbing I did back then were Cool Peeps with Me.
Some were flamboyant.
Some weren't
The Flamboyant ones thought those that weren't were too stuck-up
The non-Flamboyant ones couldn't stand them. LOL

And where in my Post did I even compare Talley to Baldwin.
Except that they were both Gay.
C'MON SON!!!
If you knew Fashion in this City,
Then You knew Talley.
I know for a fact He helped quite a few Black folks in the field.
That's all there is to it.

For The Record...
I never even watched "ANTM".
The only thing I know about that show is that Tyra Banks hosted it.
But since You seem to know about it more than I do...

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stop OVER-Reaching Bruh.

Those Cats I ran into during the 80s in my line of work and all the Clubbing I did back then were Cool Peeps with Me.
Some were flamboyant.
Some weren't
The Flamboyant ones thought those that weren't were too stuck-up
The non-Flamboyant ones couldn't stand them. LOL

And where in my Post did I even compare Talley to Baldwin.
Except that they were both Gay.
C'MON SON!!!
If you knew Fashion in this City,
Then You knew Talley.
I know for a fact He helped quite a few Black folks in the field.
That's all there is to it.

For The Record...
I never even watched "ANTM".
The only thing I know about that show is that Tyra Banks hosted it.
But since You seem to know about it more than I do...

Switching, dressing like bitches and making it a point to speak in a high pitch feminine voice is only Iconic to women and fags no matter what pedestal you place it on.

I get it, you used to run around in gay circles in the city.

:lol:

Too much sugar homie

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Switching, dressing like bitches and making it a point to speak in a high pitch feminine voice is only Iconic to women and fags no matter what pedestal you place it on.

I get it, you used to run around in gay circles in the city.

Too much sugar homie

Gonna have to dot better...SON!
Those were different times.
Publishing and Music were full of those Cats back in those days.
Ain't bothered Me.
As long as they knew when I stood.

You on the other hand,
Are totally OBSESS with this.
Something you're not telling us here on BGOL???

It's okay.
You reveal enough about You.
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Gonna have to dot better...SON!
Those were different times.
Publishing and Music were full of those Cats back in those days.
Ain't bothered Me.
As long as they knew when I stood.

You on the other hand,
Are totally OBSESS with this.
Something you're not telling us here on BGOL???

It's okay.
You reveal enough about You.
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
I already said it and you already said it about yourself.
Your used to running around with homos.

Unlike you I ain't hang with fags then or now.
You sweeter than my sisters kool aid talking bout times was different.

Times ain't different you still Gay My dude.

Last edited: