Biden doesn't want to fight for 50,000 student loan relief. It's too hard

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Key Democrats unhappy with Biden's reluctance to cancel $50,000 in student debt

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I don't understand people's sense of entitlement. If you sign up for $75K in student loans, there's an expectation that you'll repay it. How are borrowers upset w/ the government for not eating debt they fully agreed to repay?

It would be nice, but there are far more important things on the list in my opinion.

If you really want to talk about entitlement how about companies who expect their workers to be college-educated even when that training isn't necessary for the job?

Even worse, after they hire these employees they don't give them enough to pay back the loans.

I love higher education, but this is a scam. Get people to take out a loan for an education on the hopes that they MIGHT be able to pay it back. Then if things don't work out you blame them for taking the wrong courses. Meanwhile neither the college or the companies has to pay a single dime.

This is why college needs to be free.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
His own people already going against him publicly.

Trumptard Senators, staff and legal advisers rode til the wheels fell off.

Dems got the Executive and Legislative branches and still can't get right.

Last edited:

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"I will not make that happen," Biden said after a member of the audience said his proposal to cancel $10,000 per borrower doesn't go far enough. "We need student loan forgiveness beyond the potential $10,000 your administration has proposed. We need at least a $50,000 minimum. What will you do to make that happen," the audience member asked.

The dispute among Democrats highlights an early intra-party rift opening under the new administration over a liberal policy proposal. With Democrats controlling Congress and the White House, Schumer and Biden are both facing pressure to balance the demands they face from liberal and moderate members of their party.

Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York openly criticized the President on Wednesday over his comments.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wish someone had suggested this to Trump. He was so easily manipulated. All you had to say was, "Think what this would do for your image. People of all nationalities will say, he may be this and may be that, but he cancelled my debt so he gets my vote". Then he could lose the election, get impeached whatever...

He actually did some good things for the wrong reasons.
They were talking about cancelling student debt all through Trump's presidency. Devos said no. The same Devos which supposedly has a major hand in student debt collection. Devos was the one appointee Trump didn't fuck with, probably because of her brother's ties to blackwater.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Would canceling the 50k debt help black people? Yup, but on black board you have members that have problems with this. But if you question democrats you're a coon.
theres a difference btw questioning the democrats and creating strawman argument based on invented unrealistic bs , even AOC (who a big segment of that crowd frequently find reason to hate on her for ) went against the Bidem on the $50k ,thats balls and encouraged , disagreement with Biden from within thr party on shit we all generally would agree upon as opposed to blank subservience to a president who clearly means black people no good whatsoever, theres a huge difference

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
From the SAME article: :nose:

"I will not make that happen," he said of the $50,000 relief measure. Instead, he told a CNN town-hall audience he believed loan forgiveness "depends on whether or not you go to a private university or a public university."

Instead, the president touted a proposal to provide free community college to families earning less than $125,000 a year. "Everyone should be able to go to community college for free," he said. "That costs $9 billion, and we should pay for it."
Yeah those CC degrees are THE most sought after these days..

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
I wish someone had suggested this to Trump. He was so easily manipulated. All you had to say was, "Think what this would do for your image. People of all nationalities will say, he may be this and may be that, but he cancelled my debt so he gets my vote". Then he could lose the election, get impeached whatever...

He actually did some good things for the wrong reasons.
Why would anyone in his administration suggest it? Kushner is from a family of slumlords, Mnuchin used the recession to cheat people out of their homes and Devos violated an order from a federal judge to stop collecting loan payments from students who were defrauded. She was garnishing people's wages in that case.

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
giphy.gif

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So...don't vote for the guy who wants to address your issues, vote for the guy who has a slightly better chance of beating the other guy, based on projections that could be wrong.

Then complain when the guy you reluctantly voted for doesn't address your issues.

Sounds like a winning plan.
one of the calculations that biden is making on top of his own views on the proposal is that he doesn't think theres a winning consensus on it in the party or congress...theres A LOT of stuff that dies on the floor or doesn't even get to be raised in the first place. moderate and conservative dems won't sign off on that and he knows it. That doesn't mean WE shouldn't try to move the needle by demanding our reps make a fight out of it but thats the climate we're dealing with.

trump couldn't get everything he wanted either....if he did we'd be using disinfectant to combat covid today.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
Key Democrats unhappy with Biden's reluctance to cancel $50,000 in student debt

"Key Democrats" = AOC

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
"I will not make that happen," Biden said after a member of the audience said his proposal to cancel $10,000 per borrower doesn't go far enough. "We need student loan forgiveness beyond the potential $10,000 your administration has proposed. We need at least a $50,000 minimum. What will you do to make that happen," the audience member asked.

The dispute among Democrats highlights an early intra-party rift opening under the new administration over a liberal policy proposal. With Democrats controlling Congress and the White House, Schumer and Biden are both facing pressure to balance the demands they face from liberal and moderate members of their party.

Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York openly criticized the President on Wednesday over his comments.

The day hasn't started until that loudmouth has criticized a dem.

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
You all know this really is legislation that has needs to be passed. So have the Dems complaining passed said legislation, because until they pass it and put it on his desk, they have no room to complain.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
From the SAME article: :nose:

"I will not make that happen," he said of the $50,000 relief measure. Instead, he told a CNN town-hall audience he believed loan forgiveness "depends on whether or not you go to a private university or a public university."

Instead, the president touted a proposal to provide free community college to families earning less than $125,000 a year. "Everyone should be able to go to community college for free," he said. "That costs $9 billion, and we should pay for it."

They'll ignore it.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't understand people's sense of entitlement. If you sign up for $75K in student loans, there's an expectation that you'll repay it. How are borrowers upset w/ the government for not eating debt they fully agreed to repay?

It would be nice, but there are far more important things on the list in my opinion.
The only loan they’ll give you without having a job to pay it. What’s the catch. Has to be one. ;)

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
Biden is addressing many issues I care about. Have you heard me complain? I'm very happy so far.

Good for you.

I hope you dudes that voted against your interest because of some faux-solidarity, faux-urgency coercion are taking note.

Ah who am I kidding. Next time around they'll hit you with more celebrity endorsed, moralizing, emotionally manipulating rhetoric and you'll fall for it again.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Listen them Niccas can fuck around if they want. Trump ain’t been impeached. Need to remind these Niccas if that

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Folks should be happy these folks give out 10K. Where I wish we were fighting is the cost of undergraduate education it shouldn t be as high as it is and that it the greed of the University.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered

You was that dork that reminded the teacher to give out homework assignments back in high school werent you?

Last edited:

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
• Private tuition, fees, room and board per year:
$4,610 (inflation adjusted: $17,680)
• Public tuition, fees, room and board per year: $2,150 (inflation adjusted: $8,250)
• Per capita income: $8,371 (inflation adjusted: $26,483)
• Adults with a bachelor's degree: 15.7%

$11,660 (inflation adjusted: $24,800)
• Public tuition, fees, room and board per year: $4,460 (inflation adjusted: $9,480)
• Per capita income: $17,479 (inflation adjusted: $32,532)
• Adults with a bachelor's degree: 20.3%

$20,460 (inflation adjusted: $31,590)
• Public tuition, fees, room and board per year: $7,770 (inflation adjusted: $12,000)
• Per capita income: $27,545 (inflation adjusted: $39,635)
• Adults with a bachelor's degree: 24.4%

$33,800 (inflation adjusted: $38,720)
• Public tuition, fees, room and board per year: $14,370 (inflation adjusted: $16,460)
• Per capita income: $40,855 (inflation adjusted: $46,950)
• Adults with a bachelor's degree: 29.4%

$48,510
• Public tuition, fees, room and board per year: $21,370
• Per capita income: $53,697
• Adults with a bachelor's degree: 35.0%

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Lot of folks made piss poor decisions in choice of college and major. To be fair; I’ve worked with a lot of our folks who simply sent their kids off to college with lackluster grades (there’s no such thing as not getting into college if your GPA is > 2.0) and no plan. I’d be more for the parents getting more forgiveness because many took on stupid amounts of Plus loans for their kids and they only have but so many working years left. Students though? $50k is insane; $10k might be too little but it’s a start.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I respectfully disagree with the "You ______________ should be happy with ______________" argument when trillions were just created from thin air and disbursed to the U.S. population-twice.

We have the money or can create the money.

What's the running tab on Afghanistan these days?
You re not wrong about this if you look at government spending as a whole.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How's Bernie looking now?

1. Only one that unconditionally stood up for direct stimulus payments.
2. Health care for all
3. College for all
4. Going green and reversing climate change

And people shafted him for Hillary and again for Biden.

The choices you make bring the consequences you live with. -----------Mista P.