After Dan Le Batard ripped Trump, ESPN again faces a political mess

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Is hate and prejudice politics?
I dont think there is an equivalent on the other side

It had absolutely nothing to do with sports...at least with the kneeling, Kaep and the NFL it was sports related

Half of the public is still on the other side or leaning that way....and you can't appeal to just one demo if you are a business.

There's a ton of news channels and political commentators who can talk about the shit if people want to hear about it.

If I turn to ESPN I want to see highlights, not see the same shit I see on CNN or MSNBC.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
IIRC the Skipper resignation story broke when Le Batard was on air and he was in tears over it. Always talked about Skipper as a champion of diversity. It seems ESPN has changed.

Dan's going to make sure his staff is taken care of if they move. I'm really amazed that it could come to that over this, though. They've had a running joke where the show periodically randomly ends with a clip of Gregg Popovich saying "We live in a racist country." I could make a really long list of more political commentary than this from Dan-- His Fidel Castro baseball stuff stands out most to me. Some promoted by ESPN, some covered in other media. It's ridiculous that ESPN is making this out to be the last straw.

In my opinion

Espn knew about skippers habits

Forced the resignation to turn the tide at ESPN

More political neutral

Only people with the savvy to do what Dan does in Bo and Max. I can’t see neither jumping on that fire.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Tons of offers, but not even close to being as big as what he has now.

So go someplace else where you hardly get heard? That actually could hurt your money in the long run.

And you guys need to stop with the she said it so someone else should get away with it too. Dan attacked ESPN. Not just Trump. And Dan has said shit before.

Hasn’t hurt skip or cowherd

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It had absolutely nothing to do with sports...at least with the kneeling, Kaep and the NFL it was sports related

Half of the public is still on the other side or leaning that way....and you can't appeal to just one demo if you are a business.

There's a ton of news channels and political commentators who can talk about the shit if people want to hear about it.

If I turn to ESPN I want to see highlights, not see the same shit I see on CNN or MSNBC.
Well pro sports is full of immigrants and black and brown folks :dunno:

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Well pro sports is full of immigrants and black and brown folks :dunno:

We are not at a Nazi Germany level situation right now... But for people to just uncategorically say that these people are just workers and should never be able to comment, for three minutes out of a three hour program like Le Batard did, on vicious racist attacks by the American president... It is astounding.

It isn't the same as Will Cain having a hot take against Obamacare or for tax cuts. This truly is existential for America. Everyone should stand up, but black and brown people feel the moral imperative most strongly, as always.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Shit, they get a fraction of their audience

They get between 100 to 150,000 viewers a day

First Take gets three times that

They get an extra 200k from online

They maybe off on tv rating but I’m willing to bet their online presence is greater

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
We are not at a Nazi Germany level situation right now... But for people to just uncategorically say that these people are just workers and should never be able to comment, for three minutes out of a three hour program like Le Batard did, on vicious racist attacks by the American president... It is astounding.

It isn't the same as Will Cain having a hot take against Obamacare or for tax cuts. This truly is existential for America.

Who is to judge?

What if they say pro life and killing babies is important...should that be discussed too?

Should they start discussing me to0?

What about equal pay for women?

And what does any of that have to do with sports?

So where else do you want to hear politics discussed? Weather Channel?

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
They get an extra 200k from online

They maybe off on tv rating but I’m willing to bet their online presence is greater

You can also watch it on ESPN, so you can't adequately predict online presence, because ESPN's site gets a lot more traffic

They have a fraction of the audience...this is a fact

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Who is to judge?

What if they say pro life and killing babies is important...should that be discussed too?

Le Batard devoted three minutes of a three hour program to this topic. Let's not lose that context.

Le Batard spent half that time not even talking about the President's racist attacks but on how sports journalism handles it. He took a meta-approach and his commentary was not "pure politics." Let's not lose that context.

Does the Weather Channel center its programming around personalities who discuss a wide range of issues for several hours a day? If not, that's a flawed comparison. (But the Weather Channel would be both smart and on-topic to incorporate scientific explanations of climate change into its 8,760 hours of weekly programming.)

The slippery slope argument is absurd. This wasn't some niche interest-- This was the most discussed and powerful man in the world engaging in unprecedented behavior which was the top topic in the nation. Evergreen issues like abortion and equal pay are not good comparisons. And Le Batard has discussed #metoo many times, as have others because there has been obvious sports relevance at times.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It wasn't pure politics! He was mainly talking about the role of sports commentary. ESPN is being ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just used to how Le Batard operated under John Skipper, the last president of ESPN, who was a friend of his and who Le Batard painted as truly committed to diversity, but I'm surprised by the way they seem to be coming down on him.

He said on his show today he just has to get through two more days, whatever that means. (Maybe a pre-planned vacation? Possibly more significant?)

its also a running theme that dan gets into trouble just before vacation

then they have the audience wondering if he was fired

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Tons of offers, but not even close to being as big as what he has now.

So go someplace else where you hardly get heard? That actually could hurt your money in the long run.

And you guys need to stop with the she said it so someone else should get away with it too. Dan attacked ESPN. Not just Trump. And Dan has said shit before.

I understand EXACTLY what Dan said i aint defending it but its the track record ESPN building right now that may present an issue in the near future

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
IIRC the Skipper resignation story broke when Le Batard was on air and he was in tears over it. Always talked about Skipper as a champion of diversity. It seems ESPN has changed.

Dan's going to make sure his staff is taken care of if they move. I'm really amazed that it could come to that over this, though. They've had a running joke where the show periodically randomly ends with a clip of Gregg Popovich saying "We live in a racist country." I could make a really long list of more political commentary than this from Dan-- His Fidel Castro baseball stuff stands out most to me. Some promoted by ESPN, some covered in other media. It's ridiculous that ESPN is making this out to be the last straw.

Well damn...

That was a well made point filled with facts and smart observations.

Apparently its EXACTLY the type of talk ESPN is looking to extinguish outside PTI and High Noon

Jumbodicc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Who is to judge?

#Metoo and equal pay for women have a lot to do with sports.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can't hate on Dan for Keeping it 100% because he did, but we all know Trump and how America is.

These white dudes are the biggest market to please, they're the main consumers of ESPN and they don't like that politic talk on ESPN and will complain so all these polls are just cacs mad ESPN covers other topics.

But the truth is when a kid gets shot or whatever happens within a context of race, ESPN people will speak about it especially since the players are usually black males so what these cacs expect.

It reminds of that dude from OSU (black quarterback) who had a issue outside of the field and some cac hit him up on twitter telling him "just run the ball) and he replied back with (yes massa, i sure is sir) shit was hilarious.

Cacs really see nothing wrong with saying these things to other races.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If I wanted to hear about Trump I'd turn on MSNBC or watch the Young Turks or some shit...not turn on fuckin ESPN. I want to hear Stephen A's political commentary of the day?

In theory, this makes sense but honestly when a kid gets shot by a white cop and people feel it's race-related, you can't expect Lebron and other athletes from similar backgrounds not to feel a certain way.

Can't expect cats to feel a way about Kap being blackballed either.

I feel what you saying though, sometimes you don't wanna deal with all that stuff, you just wanna chill and be happy, that stuff kinda brings the mood down a bit I will agree.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can’t ride or cape too hard for the man. He said his piece. Dan realized his race is and always will he Cuban and not white in the grand scheme. If espn saw him and his dad as white he wouldn’t even be in trouble. He’s on the hot seat to remind him that he’s not white TO THEM. Give props to Dan’s family raising him to know he isn’t white, and for him to be affected like this and risk his job tells you he knows he isn’t white. All this proves white supremacy will always be protected from the top down. I will never support the nfl again and if espn sacks Dan, nobody should support them either.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You're right. He could wrote a column or did something with the Undefeated.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nobody reads that
Especially when compared to how many he reaches with his show
If he said on his show ,if you want to know how I feel about all this go read my article on the Undefeated. People would read it and share it on social media. Those that care would read it. Those that are Trump supporters or hate mixing politics and sports could ignore his article he keep it moving.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
ESPN started with the politics and lost business.

Personally, I don't want to hear that shit. I watch sports to get away from politics.

The issue is that politics are always there-- It is just a matter of what and who's politics are acceptable.

The national anthem didn't become political with Colin Kapernick. The very fact that it is played at the start of games is an incredibly big political statement.

The NFL promotes the military as uncontroversially as it promotes breast cancer awareness.

If there's a 9/11-style event, I promise you ESPN will permit much political commentary-- As long as it's the right kind about American heroes, rallying around the flag and condemning of evil overseas villains.

Sometimes real shit gets in the way of games. A political assassination. War or terrorism. Everyone accepts that. But, if you're a network that employs and respects brown people, the most extreme and unprecedented actions of a white nationalist president would and should be on that level IMO.

Le Batard devoted three minutes of a three hour program to this topic. Let's not lose that context.
And speaking about the shit...I watch sports to get away from Trump bullshit. Sports is entertainment to me.

How many of you would want to have it the other way? Where Will Cain openly shits on Democrats or a democratic president? Would that be cool?

You can't have it one way, without expecting the other...

Would you be cool with and defend Will Cain, well they let Dan get away with it?

If I wanted to hear about Trump I'd turn on MSNBC or watch the Young Turks or some shit...not turn on fuckin ESPN. I want to hear Stephen A's political commentary of the day?

Who is to judge?

Le Batard spent OVER FIFTEEN MINUTES on Monday discussing gun violence in America. Led off the show with it!

3:22-18:46

Five times longer-- 15 minutes versus just 3. Leading off the show versus tucked in at the very end!

No outrage, no articles. Zero controversy.

"The issue is that politics are always there-- It is just a matter of what and who's politics are acceptable.... If there's a 9/11-style event, I promise you ESPN will permit much political commentary-- As long as it's the right kind about American heroes, rallying around the flag and condemning of evil overseas villains. Sometimes real shit gets in the way of games. A political assassination. War or terrorism. Everyone accepts that."