A Blueprint for Reparations

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It’s far from “pointless.” The entire point is that reparations isn’t a new concept and has been in play since the end of the Civil War.

Leave it to you to highlight a single point that, in your mind, does not fall into line with unquestioning Black support and loyalty to the Democratic Party, and then try to make that the issue. :smh:

the rest of paper is about reparations and how and why it should be implemented. What parties those black politicians belonged to and what party the president was in makes no difference...it literally makes no difference to the here and now. But since its been brought up...how many republican politicians are on board with the reparations movement TODAY???

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
the rest of paper is about reparations and how and why it should be implemented. What parties those black politicians belonged to and what party the president was in makes no difference...it literally makes no difference to the here and now. But since its been brought up...how many republican politicians are on board with the reparations movement TODAY???

It was addressed by point 15, which you conveniently ignored.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was addressed by point 15, which you conveniently ignored.
“Which political party is responsible for the atrocities?”

• All the political parties that existed—or subsequently changed political party
names—and have led our Federal government during the three phases of American
atrocities (FHTE, paragraph 4, pp. 5-6) targeting ADOS are responsible. The
reparations claim for black Americans of ABAL ethnicity begins following the
winning the War of Independence from Britain and the establishment of a new
nation in 1776. That new sovereign codified and embedded the chattel slavery
enterprise into its Constitutions providing the human capital that fed the economic
engine which produced that Nation’s wealth and society. Therefore, pure
reparations for black American ethnics are unique in this regard.
ADOS holds no opposition to Pan-Africanism or immigrant groups whose
reparations claims involve attention to global or international anti-racism
petitions. These groups have promoted slavery reparations claims under the aegis

of CARICOM, not including African Americans. Select groups of AAFL
Americans have exercised—with some success—social and political activism in
America that do not center native blacks, not even include ADOS. We applaud
those victories and seek to emulate them via pure reparations for ABAL ethnics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't ask which party is responsible for the atrocities.. The point was made that since the first black elected officials were republicans and the president that blocked their efforts was a democrat... (something that falls in line with the current GOP talking point of the "party of lincoln" and democrats history of black oppression) and therefore the current conservative republican party of today should be a better choice for blacks simply off the strength of that.) My question is:

how many republican politicians are on board with the reparations movement TODAY???

surely you must have some ADOS pamphlet or paper that mentions this anecdotal information...

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
“Which political party is responsible for the atrocities?”

• All the political parties that existed—or subsequently changed political party
names—and have led our Federal government during the three phases of American
atrocities (FHTE, paragraph 4, pp. 5-6) targeting ADOS are responsible. The
reparations claim for black Americans of ABAL ethnicity begins following the
winning the War of Independence from Britain and the establishment of a new
nation in 1776. That new sovereign codified and embedded the chattel slavery
enterprise into its Constitutions providing the human capital that fed the economic
engine which produced that Nation’s wealth and society. Therefore, pure
reparations for black American ethnics are unique in this regard.
ADOS holds no opposition to Pan-Africanism or immigrant groups whose
reparations claims involve attention to global or international anti-racism
petitions. These groups have promoted slavery reparations claims under the aegis

of CARICOM, not including African Americans. Select groups of AAFL
Americans have exercised—with some success—social and political activism in
America that do not center native blacks, not even include ADOS. We applaud
those victories and seek to emulate them via pure reparations for ABAL ethnics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't ask which party is responsible for the atrocities.. The point was made that since the first black elected officials were republicans and the president that blocked their efforts was a democrat... (something that falls in line with the current GOP talking point of the "party of lincoln" and democrats history of black oppression) and therefore the current conservative republican party of today should be a better choice for blacks simply off the strength of that.) My question is:

how many republican politicians are on board with the reparations movement TODAY???

surely you must have some ADOS pamphlet or paper that mentions this anecdotal information...

Once again, you’re taking something and running with it to suit your own narrative. Where in this pamphlet does it say “therefore the current conservative republican party of today should be a better choice for blacks simply off the strength of that.”

I’ll answer that for you. It doesn’t. As for any other questions, why don’t you go on Twitter and ask Professor Darity himself? Post the exchange in this thread.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Once again, you’re taking something and running with it to suit your own narrative. Where in this pamphlet does it say “therefore the current conservative republican party of today should be a better choice for blacks simply off the strength of that.”

I’ll answer that for you. It doesn’t. As for any other questions, why don’t you go on Twitter and ask Professor Darity himself? Post the exchange in this thread.

2nd time you dodged the question...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How is it relevant? The Democrats hold the executive and legislative branches right now.
you guys talk as if theres a plethora of choices and black folk are just too stupid to exercise them...that's how our identity became subsumed within the democratic party.

The reality is there's only ONE party even willing to give a cursory look at the issues....this isn't cheerleading for the dems its stating a political reality.

Yes the dems are in control and so we SHOULD be dealing with them and demanding...but when the party of trump was in control how many laws were passed in favor of black folk specifically?? How many times did ADOS organization bring up reparations to them and what was the answer? Why wasn't and isn't there the same level of intensity in demands and accountability for the GOP as there are for Dems ....because blacks don't vote republican and why would that be?? because they're overtly racist in demeanor and action by comparison with the only other major party and have been for the last 50 years...

and yet you say These people don’t realize that one of our biggest mistakes is having our political identity totally subsumed within the Democratic Party.

Yes the dems are in control so you deal with them today...and in 4 to 8 years the republicans may regain control and you know who you're going to deal with then... DEMOCRATS.. because this era of GOP will NEVER table the issues of blacks specifically as it pertains to reparations and any other laws or such your looking for. You keep presenting as if there is a choice when there isn't one... I said it before. Until another viable party rises up and can compete with the Dems and GOP..the reality is the Democrats aren't our best choice or ally..they're our ONLY ally. Whether you believe it or not.

This is why you won't name republican politicians... because you CAN'T name one.

Just say that and be done with it. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you guys talk as if theres a plethora of choices and black folk are just too stupid to exercise them...that's how our identity became subsumed within the democratic party.

The reality is there's only ONE party even willing to give a cursory look at the issues....this isn't cheerleading for the dems its stating a political reality.

Yes the dems are in control and so we SHOULD be dealing with them and demanding...but when the party of trump was in control how many laws were passed in favor of black folk specifically?? How many times did ADOS organization bring up reparations to them and what was the answer? Why wasn't and isn't there the same level of intensity in demands and accountability for the GOP as there are for Dems ....because blacks don't vote republican and why would that be?? because they're overtly racist in demeanor and action by comparison with the other major party and have been for the last 50 years...

and yet you say These people don’t realize that one of our biggest mistakes is having our political identity totally subsumed within the Democratic Party.

Yes the dems are in control so you deal with them today...and in 4 to 8 years the republicans may regain control and you who you're to deal with then... DEMOCRATS.. because this era of GOP will NEVER table the issues of blacks specifically as it pertains to reparations and any other laws or such your looking for. You keep presenting a choice when there isn't one... I said it before. Until another viable party rises up and can compete with the Dems and GOP..the reality is the Democrats aren't our best choice or ally..they're our ONLY ally. Whether you believe it or not.

This is why you won't name republican politicians... because you CAN'T name one.

Just say that and be done with it. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:
You believe the Dems will take our issues seriously?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
“Captured electorate.” But doesn’t have to be. Yet you still think our pressing the Democrats for anything is a problem. :smh:
I never said pressing the democrats for anything is a problem.. I have said:

I don't disagree with ADOS points I disagree with how you all go about making them which is to make people around you feel dumb or sell out for the choices made under the circumstances of how our society functions. This is my beef with ADOS as an organization...you need allies and people enthused to work with you but you all insist on insulting and alienating anyone you don't see eye to eye with. And in a country with only two major parties and only one of those even willing to put the issues on the table to begin with I think calling that party a bunch of do nothing racist assholes and anyone willing to work with them a bunch slave minded dummies doesn't exactly work to get your more salient points across.

Your sig is a picture of blacks as slaves to biden..something you purposefully did then have the nerve to wonder why people have ill reactions to you. This is how many of you guys come off. Its like the black version of rush limbaugh and tucker carlson. You all want to see ADOS people win and so do I but HOW your going about it almost ensures thats not going to happen....at least in our life time.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
I never said pressing the democrats for anything is a problem.. I have said:

OK. So ADOS and reparations talk hurts your feelings! :smh: That’s the gist of your argument. Because, as of now, everything else falls apart. Dems have the Presidency. Dems have the Congress. 90% of us voted them in. Now can we press them for some Black-specific action? Or does that offend you?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK. So ADOS and reparations talk hurts your feelings! :smh: That’s the gist of your argument. Because, as of now, everything else falls apart. Dems have the Presidency. Dems have the Congress. 90% of us voted them in. Now can we press them for some Black-specific action? Or does that offend you?
:lol::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::lol:

again just say you can't name republican politicians who will get on board for reparations and ADOS...:hmm:

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@HNIC This should be a sticky. Don't let BGOL be on the wrong side of history.

With clarity and insight, economist and author William "Sandy" Darity discusses how the grievous injustice of slavery in the US led to the immense wealth gap that currently exists between Black and white Americans. He explains how reparations for descendants of enslaved people would work -- and why it's necessary that the US engage in this act of compensation and redemption to make progress towards true equality.

Bump!

this is not a pinned thread but there is a thread about an old school racist Neanderthal pinned to the front page. Something isn’t adding up.:confused:

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
:lol::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::lol:

again just say you can't name republican politicians who will get on board for reparations and ADOS...:hmm:

As long as you an acknowledge that Dems get 90% of the Black vote and aren't on board with it either.

And, as I repeatedly say, they control the government now. Right now, as we type. They could initiate it TODAY! Just as they initiate policy for illegal immigrants and LGBTQ.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As long as you an acknowledge that Dems get 90% of the Black vote and aren't on board with it either.

And, as I repeatedly say, they control the government now. Right now, as we type. They could initiate it TODAY! Just as they initiate policy for illegal immigrants and LGBTQ.
you're missing the point or keep evading it.... you claim there are political party options that blacks just don't exercise..when i push you to state what they are you dodge the question. Dems get 90% of the black vote...I broke down why that is and you don't dispute it. So why keep up this charade of if the dems don't do it we can take our vote someplace else.. where are you going to go?

Your right we need to push the dem party...we have to because thats the only party where we can at least a toe hold on something...lord knows its not possible with the GOP becuz if it were you, William Darity Jr, Yvette Carnell and Antonio Moore would be touting it.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
you're missing the point or keep evading it.... you claim there are political party options that blacks just don't exercise..when i push you to state what they are you dodge the question. Dems get 90% of the black vote...I broke down why that is and you don't dispute it. So why keep up this charade of if the dems don't do it we can take our vote someplace else.. where are you going to go?

Your right we need to push the dem party...we have to because thats the only party where we can at least a toe hold on something...lord knows its not possible with the GOP becuz if it were you, William Darity Jr, Yvette Carnell and Antonio Moore would be touting it.

Once again, we talk about LEVERAGING the Black vote - a concept you can't seem to understand. And you selectively read everything and then respond to what you think than what is being said. This reparations document had 20 points and you're only talking about one; one you claim to be irrelevant at that. :smh:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Once again, we talk about LEVERAGING the Black vote - a concept you can't seem to understand. And you selectively read everything and then respond to what you think than what is being said. This reparations document had 20 points and you're only talking about one; one you claim to be irrelevant at that. :smh:
LEVERAGING IT WITH WHAT??? whats the leverage? what are the options and alternatives???

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Elijah Muhammad was right the black man is God. We as God should be trying to take the earth and the universe back from these white devils. They are all in outer space trying to act like they were there first.
We should spend our money with our own and our lives for our own. Kill the brainwashing

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Five public colleges and universities in Virginia may have to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves who helped build and run the institutions under a bill that was passed by the Virginia House on Thursday.
The measure calls for Longwood University, the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, the Virginia Military Institute and the College of William and Mary — schools built before 1865 — to identify all the enslaved people who labored on their properties, to the extent possible. The bill was approved by the Democratic-led House of Delegates Thursday on a 61-39 vote.
America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.
The schools would then be required to offer full four-year scholarships or economic development programs to descendants of slaves. The project would allow descendants to attend any of the five institutions.
The measure would take effect in the 2022-23 academic year if it’s passed in the Democratic-controlled Senate. It’s not clear how many scholarships would be offered as it isn’t known how many slaves worked on most of the college campuses.
“HB 1980 is a small but important step to acknowledge and address that the foundational success of five universities was based on enslaved labor,” Del. David A. Reid (D-Loudoun), the lawmaker pushing for the measure, told Changing America. “I am proud HB 1980 has passed the House, and I hope that it will be sent to the governor’s desk for approval so that we can begin to address the multigenerational impact of slavery here in Virginia.”
The bill does not allow for the colleges to use state funds or tuition revenue to pay for the “Enslaved Ancestors College Access Scholarship and Memorial Program,” which means the project will require private fundraising or endowment revenue to support it.
The effort comes amid a racial reckoning in the U.S. that has prompted many institutions to remove Confederate monuments and symbols from campuses, rename buildings and memorialize those who had been enslaved.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Elijah Muhammad was right the black man is God. We as God should be trying to take the earth and the universe back from these white devils. They are all in outer space trying to act like they were there first.
We should spend our money with our own and our lives for our own. Kill the brainwashing
Elijah Muhammad was a Luciferian. Who says the Neanderthal is in outer space? They just came into power less than 1,000 years ago and were created by so-called blacks.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Elijah Muhammad was a Luciferian. Who says the Neanderthal is in outer space? They just came into power less than 1,000 years ago and were created by so-called blacks.
Elijah showed us the way a long time ago. America has a military in outer space. The question is why?

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Five public colleges and universities in Virginia may have to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves who helped build and run the institutions under a bill that was passed by the Virginia House on Thursday.
The measure calls for Longwood University, the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, the Virginia Military Institute and the College of William and Mary — schools built before 1865 — to identify all the enslaved people who labored on their properties, to the extent possible. The bill was approved by the Democratic-led House of Delegates Thursday on a 61-39 vote.
America is changing faster than ever! Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.
The schools would then be required to offer full four-year scholarships or economic development programs to descendants of slaves. The project would allow descendants to attend any of the five institutions.
The measure would take effect in the 2022-23 academic year if it’s passed in the Democratic-controlled Senate. It’s not clear how many scholarships would be offered as it isn’t known how many slaves worked on most of the college campuses.
“HB 1980 is a small but important step to acknowledge and address that the foundational success of five universities was based on enslaved labor,” Del. David A. Reid (D-Loudoun), the lawmaker pushing for the measure, told Changing America. “I am proud HB 1980 has passed the House, and I hope that it will be sent to the governor’s desk for approval so that we can begin to address the multigenerational impact of slavery here in Virginia.”
The bill does not allow for the colleges to use state funds or tuition revenue to pay for the “Enslaved Ancestors College Access Scholarship and Memorial Program,” which means the project will require private fundraising or endowment revenue to support it.
The effort comes amid a racial reckoning in the U.S. that has prompted many institutions to remove Confederate monuments and symbols from campuses, rename buildings and memorialize those who had been enslaved.

:cool:

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Now Is the Time for Reparations
We are on the cusp of a historical and political shift.
Patrick Paul Garlinger
Feb 1·12 min read

The morning after the Senate run-off in Georgia, when it was clear that the Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff had won their respective races, a thought flashed through my mind: Now is the time for reparations.

Perhaps for the first time, with the public’s consciousness around race galvanized by the Black Lives Matter movement, a government led by Democrats could conceivably pass H.R. 40, the bill advanced for decades to commission a study on reparations for African Americans. Reparations came to the forefront during the Democratic Primary for President, with many candidates — including Vice President Kamala Harris — voicing support for reparations.

Time and again, scholars, writers, and activists have made the case for reparations. Yet time and again, H.R. 40, a bill that would only study reparations, has never been close to passage, and white Americans continue to display high levels of hostility to the very idea of paying reparations to Black Americans. (Note: I have followed the New York Times’ approach to capitalization of the terms “white” and “Black.”)

Mitch McConnell, the former Senate Majority Leader, has voiced the view of many white people when he objected to reparations on the grounds that the harm of slavery ended long ago, and the people of today were not responsible, and should not be held responsible, for harms they did not commit.

This is, in a nutshell, where reparations stand today. They remain deadlocked because a large sector of white America does not want to contemplate the past or acknowledge white privilege and supremacy. They are ignorant of the historical push for reparations. There has been a shift, however, in public consciousness that may make the passage of H.R. 40 more plausible than ever before.

How do we break this logjam? Much of the debate occurs within a legal framework that rests on the assignment of liability and calculation of damages. But what if we thought about reparations differently and saw them as a way of dismantling white supremacy as a form of trauma?

The Arguments for Reparations
The case I make for reparations is, virtually every institution with some degree of history in America, be it public, be it private, has a history of extracting wealth and resources out of the African-American community.
— Ta-Nehisi Coates, “Ta-Nehisi Coates Revisits the Case for Reparations”
Many writers have advanced cogent, powerful arguments for reparations, chief among them Ta-Nehisi Coates and William “Sandy” Darity. At the risk of oversimplifying their arguments, they argue that the primary and fundamental measure of the devastating harm inflicted by slavery is the wealth gap between Black and white Americans.

Coates, in his seminal piece in The Atlantic, used housing policies as an example of how discrimination against Black Americans persisted and led to the extraction of wealth by white-run institutions from Black families. Similarly, in his comprehensive work, From Here to Equality, Darity puts forth numerous ways that wealth was taken from Black Americans, and drawing on the work of many in this area, offers differing calculations of the amount owed. As Coates summarizes, “Black families, regardless of income, are significantly less wealthy than white families…. When financial calamity strikes … the fall is precipitous.”

In sum, reparations begin with the idea of a monetary debt — in legal terms, damages — that is owed to Black Americans. That debt stems from the impact of slavery itself, the subsequent failure of Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and into the present day with systemic racism that continues to maintain this wealth gap.

Hence, as Dwyer Gunn points out in her summary of the arguments made by Coates, Darity, and others, while monetary relief may be the central component, reparations are not limited to money. They also include programs that are designed to protect African Americans from present-day discrimination. This can include job training, education, and other measures to protect against gaps in wealth due to race. It also includes the acknowledgment, by the federal government, of the harms inflicted by the United States against African Americans.

Coates, Darity, and many others (see, e.g., Antonio Moore’s “The Roadmap to Reparations”, and Marcus H. Johnson’s “What a Reparations Plan Could Look Like”) marshal a thorough historical record about Black Americans’ economic deprivation, legal precedent (such as the U.S. government’s willingness to pay reparations to Japanese Americans for the harms caused by internment during WWII), and various methods to make this kind of compensation a political reality (Darity, for example, suggests the creation of a government office devoted to overseeing the task).
Reparations are presented in a legal framework like a class action. The harm is presented as a claim for damages, with sophisticated means of calculating the amount. The authors must prove the harm, the damages to remedy that harm, and what members of the class should receive a portion of that remedy.

The objections, unsurprisingly, take the form that legal objections typically take: White people alive today did not cause the harm and thus are not liable; the debt cannot be calculated accurately; and, furthermore, the damages have already been repaid through other means such as anti-poverty measures and affirmative action. (On the reasons why affirmative action does not count as reparations, see Darity.)

Even the members of the class are sometimes the subject of debate. Who should get reparations — only American descendants of slaves or all Black Americans? Compelling arguments exist for each group, yet the Mitch McConnells of the world use this to say that reparations are impossible because it would be too difficult to identify who should receive the damages even if they were calculable.

As a lawyer, I understand the need to make a legal case, and why then these kinds of objections flow from it (even if none of them holds water, in my opinion). Many of the aforementioned authors have offered extremely persuasive rebuttals. Yet, despite their persuasive appeals to justice and precedent, white people resist the topic.

Race & Trauma
Social and political actions are essential, but they need to be part of a larger strategy of healing, justice, and creating room for growth in traumatized flesh-and-blood bodies.
— Resmaa Menakem, My Grandmother’s Hands
Reparations for the harms that began with slavery are not a legal claim, at least not entirely. Advocates of reparations know this, and often point to the impact on all Black Americans: We are dealing with trauma.

Systemic racism and white supremacy are sources of enormous physical and emotional trauma, which is connected to, but not the same as, economic deprivation. In the words of Catherine Pugh, Esq., “We do the Black diaspora a disservice by wrapping our recompense campaign around a subset of economic harm, and not the primary harm of gross, disparate treatment that still plagues us.”

Indeed, when we shift our perspective to trauma, we understand that the objections from white people are not the measured, logical response of an attorney or judge. Instead, they come from the realm of emotion. What gets triggered by talk of reparations is white guilt and white fragility.[1]
The law is often quite inadequate for dealing with emotional issues. That is not to say that we should abandon all of the legal arguments put forth — they are powerful and important — but our understanding of the purpose of reparations needs to expand so that we can appreciate them in the context of emotional trauma.

Resmaa Menakem issued a powerful call to healing in his landmark work, My Grandmother’s Hands. In that work, he reframed the debate around racism by calling for us to see it as a form of trauma whose effects are carried in and through the body, generation after generation. The trauma inflicted upon African Americans is held deep in the body, passed from generation to generation[2], and gets reinforced by systemic racism and microaggressions. When trauma is wound into the body, we have powerful emotional reactions — feelings of pain, insecurity, anger, or freezing, silence, and flight — whenever it is triggered.

The trauma of racism is not limited to Black Americans. His term, “white-body supremacy,” captures how white supremacy inflicts its harm on everybody, including white people. White people have their own traumatic responses — guilt, shame, and insecurity — that gets triggered when thinking about racism or contemplating the traumatic harm inflicted on, and carried through, the bodies of Black Americans.
According to Menakem, a trauma-informed theory of racism and white supremacy teaches us that we all carry, white and Black Americans, some kind of wound that began with slavery and persists today. That is not to say that the trauma of white supremacy is the same for whites and Blacks. It is not. But the way forward, he avers, is for each of us to heal that trauma.

His insights suggest that white Americans’ resistance to reparations is fundamentally an emotional, traumatic response, not a legal one. Legal arguments are pressed into the service of warding off the discomfort that arises in white people’s bodies. That is why legal arguments will never truly win over Mitch McConnell or anybody who shares his views.

This view also explains why, if the federal government were to just cut checks tomorrow for all Black Americans, systemic racism would not go away; reparations wouldn’t actually fulfill the damages claim, because white supremacy, going forward, would continue to inflict damage. The unhealed trauma would emerge again. Mass incarceration, police brutality, and wrongful prosecutions based on coerced confessions are just some of the ways that systemic racism, as a form of trauma, would persist. As the Exonerated 5 recently argued in The New York Times, the harms inflicted upon them are still very much a part of our system today.

Reparations advocates know this, of course, which is why even while framing the argument in legal terms, they make clear that reparations are ultimately a vehicle for spiritual and emotional healing. “What I’m talking about is more than recompense for past injustices — more than a handout, a payoff, hush money, or a reluctant bribe. What I’m talking about is a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal,” writes Coates.

Trauma-Informed Reparations & A New Model of Responsibility
Whites and blacks would come to terms over the past, confront the present, and unite to create a new and transformed United States of America.
— William “Sandy” Darity, From Here to Equality
The suppression of Black votes, the lies spread about a stolen Presidential election, and the failed insurrection on the Capitol are some of the most recent examples of a white trauma response. The inability of facts and evidence — i.e., legal argument — to dispel the falsehoods is further evidence that we are in the realm of emotional trauma. Hence, the political work cannot be decoupled from the kind of work that is happening now in spiritual and psychotherapy circles, and in the realm of mindfulness and unconscious bias work.

It is also important that this work become a national enterprise. The infliction of pain will persist until this is a collective endeavor, in which white people face the historical record that is also embedded, in its own ways, in our bodies.

But this is where we can come back to reparations and see them in a new light. Not solely a legal claim, reparations are a means to healing a rift in our collective consciousness.

The process starts by looking, collectively, at society’s white-supremacy pain body. This is the start of what Darity calls “acknowledgment” and Coates refers to as “the official imprimatur of the state.” It is what happens if H.R. 40 becomes a reality and our government begins the urgent task of bearing witness to the vast historical record, from slavery, through Jim Crow, to white supremacy today.

All healing must begin by facing the wound. This is why Coates emphasizes that the answers we come up with are perhaps less important than starting the conversation. But it would be incredibly powerful and healing to have the U.S. government hold hearings, with experts testifying, issue reports and recommendations, and spark public debates about the wealth gap, discriminatory policies, and systemic racism today.
But any such work would have to acknowledge that we are not solely in the realm of legal discourse. It would need to bring in the expertise of people like Menakem, so that white supremacy is also understood within the framework of trauma and not exclusively in the formalistic terms of victim, damages, debt, and liability. In other words, the work must be balanced between history, law, and policy, on the one hand, and the spiritual work of soul mending and healing bodies, on the other.

Doing so can help us to move beyond the limits of those legal terms. While the nation, through such a commission, would still debate who should receive reparations, having that debate would force the nation to grapple with how emotional trauma gets carried from one generation to the next and becomes historical trauma. Such a commission might conclude that a reparations program need not be a one-size-fits-all design, with only one kind of monetary payment to one distinct group.

Seeing reparations as a vehicle for healing trauma means that we would not look exclusively at monetary damages. Those, of course, would not be off the table. The wealth gap is real and is itself an ongoing source of emotional pain. How we measure the amount of the debt, and whether any such figure is sufficient to redress the economic deprivation, is itself part of facing the historical record. Forcing the topic of monetary payments forces the kind of reckoning that Coates, Darity, and other advocates call for.

But that reckoning also means that reparations would extend beyond monetary payments to policy changes and public benefits programs that many reparations advocates have proffered. What if the Department of Education provided curricula and guidance on teaching about historical trauma? As Marley K. argues, much of the work of reparations will involve a massive re-education of the American public.

What if we expanded this notion to have the federal government provide grants to state and local governments to fund the work of cultural centers focused on trauma? What if there were federal resources for the kind of trauma-informed healing work that Menakem and others espouse? (Germany’s payment of reparations to Israel included trauma work.)

Moreover, seeing reparations in this light means that our concept of liability moves out of the legalistic realm of laches (the harm is too far in the past to redress now) and causation (I am not the party who caused the harm, so I can’t be held responsible).

Viewing reparations in this way might shift us out of a model of responsibility rooted in individual, legalistic liability and toward something akin to a kind of spiritual fellowship. We are all responsible because Black people suffer enormously under a white supremacist society, and, as Meskanem argues, white people continue to both benefit and suffer. As Darity reminds us, “[t]he majority of the populace also must accept national responsibility for the damages inflicted on black people.” Reparation — as a process — becomes the way that we make the nation whole again.

This is part of the work that H.R. 40, or a similar bill designed to study how to redress the harms of white supremacy, could accomplish. There will still be resistance, of course. White people will still marshal legalistic objections. This task of persuading white people about what must be done is something that white people must assume. But if part of this work also entails reframing it so that it can be understood as a “national redemption,” as Darity puts it, we may be more equipped to meet white resistance skillfully as a trauma response.

We are on the cusp of a historical shift, and the political opportunity is ripe with a new administration and a Democratic Congress. Now is the time to lift our nation out of the seventeenth-century crucible that we have all been constructed in to create a new version of ourselves. Let us boldly move toward repairing the devastation of slavery, systemic racism, and white supremacy, starting with the passage of a reparations bill.

[1] Menakem says that white fragility is a fantasy and a myth, and asks his readers to call it out. Here, I can recognize that writing on race as a white person triggers a desire to avoid any discomfort and to ward off any objection or criticism. It comes tinged with the whiffs of savior syndrome and a desire to be seen as “different.” That’s what it means to face white supremacy and fragility in one’s body. Owning it doesn’t quite dispel it, it doesn’t reposition me as somehow different, and it doesn’t afford me that space of comfort that all white people reflexively try to get to. All I can do is bear witness and acknowledge that it’s in me and in my white readers too.
[2] Generational trauma is not limited, of course, to Black Americans. For an analysis of generational trauma in the Jewish community, see Rabbi Tirza Firestone’s Wounds into Wisdom.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doing so can help us to move beyond the limits of those legal terms. While the nation, through such a commission, would still debate who should receive reparations, having that debate would force the nation to grapple with how emotional trauma gets carried from one generation to the next and becomes historical trauma. Such a commission might conclude that a reparations program need not be a one-size-fits-all design, with only one kind of monetary payment to one distinct group.

this is not problematic??

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor

this is not problematic??

Not to anyone who reads the entire article.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Cats always bringing up republicans. Can they stfu about republicans for 5 fucking minutes? Imagine wining and dining a chick and then she expects you to ask some chick you didn't spend money on for some pussy. Fuck is wrong with these cats? It's really like some of these cats intern in D.C. for dems. Can't make up the responses.

Got the presidency and congress. :eek2: "What about republicans?" 50 years of diehard loyalty. :eek2: "but why don't you ask republicans?"

Can cats just admit they want to settle for trickle-down crumbs and stop pretending? It's cool. They can admit it's a hopeless situation and they scared to try to leverage voting because the outcome is unknown.

It's crazy that the democrat party could split in 2 and black voters won't be able to leverage either version because of scary shills who are satisfied with scraps.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cats always bringing up republicans. Can they stfu about republicans for 5 fucking minutes? Imagine wining and dining a chick and then she expects you to ask some chick you didn't spend money on for some pussy. Fuck is wrong with these cats? It's really like some of these cats intern in D.C. for dems. Can't make up the responses.

Got the presidency and congress. :eek2: "What about republicans?" 50 years of diehard loyalty. :eek2: "but why don't you ask republicans?"

Can cats just admit they want to settle for trickle-down crumbs and stop pretending? It's cool. They can admit it's a hopeless situation and they scared to try to leverage voting because the outcome is unknown.

It's crazy that the democrat party could split in 2 and black voters won't be able to leverage either version because of scary shills who are satisfied with scraps.

I"ll ask again....LEVERAGING IT WITH WHAT??? whats the leverage? what are the options and alternatives???

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Slave-built infrastructure still creates wealth in US, suggesting reparations should cover past harms and current value of slavery

American cities from Atlanta to New York City still use buildings, roads, ports and rail lines built by enslaved people.

The fact that centuries-old relics of slavery still support the economy of the United States suggests that reparations for slavery would need to go beyond government payments to the ancestors of enslaved people to account for profit-generating, slave-built infrastructure.

Debates about compensating Black Americans for slavery began soon after the Civil War, in the 1860s, with promises of “40 acres and a mule.” A national conversation about reparations has reignited in recent decades. The definition of reparations varies, but most advocates envision it as a two-part reckoning that acknowledges the role slavery played in building the country and directs resources to the communities impacted by slavery.

Through our geographic and urban planning scholarship, we document the contemporary infrastructure created by enslaved Black workers. Our study of what we call the “landscape of race” shows how the globally dominant economy of the United States traces directly back to slavery.

Looking again at railroads
While difficult to calculate, scholars estimate that much of the physical infrastructure built before 1860 in the American South was built with enslaved labor.

Railways were particularly critical infrastructure. According to “The American South,” an in-depth history of the region, railroads “offered solutions to the geographic barriers that segmented the South,” including swamps, mountains and rivers. For inland planters needing to get goods to port, trains were “the elemental precondition to better times.”

Our archival research on Montgomery, Alabama, shows that enslaved workers built and maintained the Montgomery Eufaula Railroad. This 81-mile-long railroad, begun in 1859, connected Montgomery to the Central Georgia Line, which served both Alabama’s fertile cotton-growing region – cotton picked by enslaved hands – and the textile mills of Georgia.

The Eufala Railroad also gave Alabama commercial access to the Port of Savannah. Savannah was a key cotton and rice trading port, and slavery was integral to the growth of the city.

Today, Savannah’s deep-water port remains one of the busiest container ports in the U.S. Among its top exports: cotton.

The Eufala Railroad closed in the 1970s. But the company that funded its construction – Lehman Durr & Co., a prominent Southern cotton brokerage – existed well into the 20th century.

Examining court affidavits and city records located in the Montgomery city archive, we learned the Montgomery Eufaula Railroad Company received US$1.8 million in loans from Lehman Durr & Co. The main backers of Lehman Durr & Co. went on to found Lehman Brothers bank, one of Wall Street’s largest investment banks until it collapsed in 2008, in the U.S. financial crisis.

Slave-built railroads also gave rise to Georgia’s largest city, Atlanta. In the 1830s, Atlanta was the terminus of a rail line that extended into the Midwest.

Some of these same rail lines still drive Georgia’s economy. According to a 2013 state report, railways that went through Georgia in 2012 carried over US$198 billion in agricultural products and raw materials needed for U.S. industry and manufacturing.

Savannah, Atlanta and Montgomery all show how, far from being an artifact of history, as some critics of reparations suggest, slavery has a tangible presence in the American economy.

And not just in the South. Wall Street, in New York City, is associated with the trading of stocks. But in the 18th century, enslaved people were bought and sold there. Even after New York closed its slave markets, local businesses sold and shipped cotton grown in the slaveholding South.

Geographic research like ours could inform thinking on monetary reparations by helping to calculate the ongoing financial value of slavery.

Like scholarship drawing the connection between slavery and modern mass incarceration, however, our work also suggests that direct payments to indviduals cannot truly account for the modern legacy of slavery. It points toward a broader concept of reparations that reflects how slavery is built into the American landscape, still generating wealth.

Such reparations might include government investments in aspects of American life where Black people face disparities.

Last year the city council in Asheville, North Carolina, voted for “reparations in the form of community investment.” Priorities could include efforts to increase access to affordable housing and boost minority business ownership. Asheville will also explore strategies to close the racial gap in health care.

It is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to calculate the total contemporary economic impact of slavery. But we see recognizing that enslaved men, women and children built many of the cities, rail lines and ports that fuel the American economy as a necessary part of any such accounting.