~*~2014 NBA OffSeason Thread - Free Agency Starts - 7/1 12am ~*~

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Re: ~*~2014 NBA OffSeason Thread - Who's Doing What??? ~*~

Or maybe not: Report says Boston’s offer for Kevin Love falls short for Timberwolves
Kurt Helin Jun 18, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Kevin Love
It’s a negotiation. The idea is to get as much as you can for what you are giving up. Minnesota team president Flip Saunders knows how to play that game in trading Kevin Love — and part of that is sending messages by leaking things to the media.
For example, first you leak something saying, “I haven’t seen anything better than what Boston is offering for Love” in hopes of getting other teams to up their bid. Then you leak that the Boston offer isn’t all that great, hoping Boston ups its bid.
That could be the game for Minnesota (or it could be something else, disagreement about what is a priority to get back within the front office, we’ll get to that).
Either way, the Boston Herald’s Steve Bulpett is contradicting an earlier report, with sources telling Bulpett that the Celtics’ offer for Kevin Love is not enough to get a deal done.
Sources close to the situation have told the Herald that Boston’s offer of draft picks and players isn’t nearly the best the Timberwolves have received — or expect to receive — for their All-Star forward.
The Celtics are willing to discuss a number of options, but none of them includes the quality of player with NBA experience that Minnesota is seeking or believes it can get elsewhere. One source indicated Denver and Golden State have both made more intriguing offers, and there are other teams very much in the picture, as well.
Denver is a new name, and there would be questions about whether they could retain Love’s services after next season when he can opt out (his people telling Minnesota Love would opt out sparked this trade talk in the first place, it forced the Timberwolves hand). That said the Nuggets have the No. 11 pick in this draft as well as some interesting players they could throw in — Kenneth Faried, Danilo Gallinari, J.J. Hickson and Evan Fournier, among others.
Golden State is potentially the big gun, Love has said he likes them and would re-sign there. With Love that team is a contender. Their offer would have future picks as well as players like David Lee, Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes. The debate is over Klay Thompson — if I were Minnesota I would insist on him, but according to Bill Simmons and others the Warriors are resistant. (To me, that is over-valuing your current players, I love Thompson and his game but Love is a much more valuable player and one whose skill set is much harder to replicate. I’d resist at first but if Thompson got the deal done I’d move him.)
Boston’s offer reportedly is the No. 6 and No. 17 pick in this draft as well as a future No. 1 and players such as Jared Sullinger.
What does Minnesota really want back? The conflicting reports on what they feel about what Boston can offer could be a sign of division at the higher levels of the organization? Does Flip Saunders want to focus on picks and owner Glen Taylor want established players? If so, that is another fitting explanation of the conflicting reports.
There’s going to be a lot of smokescreens in the next couple weeks. Teams will intentionally leak conflicting information (and sometimes not intentionally). Boston is certainly in the mix for Kevin Love, but Flip Saunders isn’t near done yet trying to get as much for him as possible. Remember, he doesn’t have to move him before the draft, if Saunders thinks there are better offers he can wait until after July 1 and all the way up to the trade deadline in February if he wants.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Report: Phil Jackson ‘plotting’ Kevin Love-Knicks trade, and Lakers ‘will make a monster push’
Dan Feldman May 19, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
72 Comments

Twenty-nine teams should be exploring trading for Kevin Love.
The other is the Minnesota Timberwolves, who already have Love.
Love is not only a star player, he’s young and has a skillset that works in any system. That makes him appealing everywhere.
The Warriors and Bulls have come up, and so have the Rockets and Celtics. It was only a matter of time until teams in the NBA’s biggest markets let everyone know they want a spot at the table.
Marc Berman of the New York Post:
According to an NBA source, Knicks president Phil Jackson has been plotting to be involved in making something happen with Love via a trade.
Another source said the Lakers also will make a monster push at trading for Love, who played at UCLA.
The Knicks believe they have the expiring contracts — Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert in particular — the Wolves might want so Minnesota can keep cap space to go after the star-studded 2015 free agent class.
The Knicks have practically no shot, but trying to convince their fans that every star is in play for New York is what they do. They can’t trade a first-round pick until 2018, and they’re short on promising young players with only Tim Hardaway Jr. and Iman Shumpert to offer.
Just cap room in 2015 won’t entice Minnesota at all. Know how else the Timberwolves can maximize cap room in 2015? Just keeping Love and letting him opt out. The Knicks need to offer something – likely much more – on top of that.
The Lakers are much better-positioned to trade for Love. They can’t deal their 2014 first-round pick until after the draft, but they could always pick on behalf of the Timberwolves and then officially complete the transaction later. Minnesota probably wouldn’t mind.
Like New York, Los Angeles doesn’t have many appealing tradable players, but a high lottery pick in a loaded draft is a much better starting point than what the Knicks can offer.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Report: LeBron James ‘very likely’ to stay with Heat
Dan Feldman Jun 18, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

LeBron James will probably stay with the Heat.
He chose Miami just four years ago, a strong indicator of his fondness for the team. Since, the Heat have been extremely successful by any reasonable standard, including his. He’s also playing with two of his friends in Dwyane and Chris Bosh.
Overall, he just appears happy.
So, you probably don’t need anyone to tell you he’ll likely stay in Miami. But just in case you’re not convinced…

Sean Deveney of Sporting News:
a source close to the situation said that, while no final decisions have been made, James “is very likely” to stay in Miami.
The source indicated that James remembers all too well the way he was pilloried for leaving Cleveland four years ago, and that he has worked hard to rebuild his public perception. He feels the team can still win in Miami, and bolting while the team is still of championship caliber will undo the remaking of his image.
“Very likely” still leaves LeBron an out, and he’ll obviously speak with Wade and Bosh before deciding anything.

The biggest question is how long he’ll stay with the Heat.
He could remain in his current contract for at least another year and make $20,590,000 next season. Then, he’d hold a $22,112,500 player option for 2015-16, when we could do this all over again. Or he could terminate his contract by June 30 and re-sign for one, two, three, four or five years. There are plenty of options.

Declining his early-termination option is the simplest and quickest way for LeBron to stay, and that might be what he does.

But if he opts out, even with the intention of re-signing with the Heat, why wouldn’t he at least listen to other suitors while he’s a free agent? As long as he handles it better than The Decision, it shouldn’t – though probably would, sigh – harm his public image.
And once he hears those other pitches, maybe “very likely” becomes a little less certain.
LeBron can end the speculation by June 30, but if he opts to become a free agent, there’s no guaranteeing what would happen next.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Warriors lower asking price in potential David Lee trades
Dan Feldman May 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Orlando Magic
The Warriors have been linked to Kevin Love, and of course, acquiring Love would be great for Golden State.
It wouldn’t be so great for David Lee, currently the Warriors’ starting power forward.
That – and the fact the 31-year-old Lee probably wouldn’t intrigue the Timberwolves much beyond his ability to make salaries match – explains why Golden State is reportedly exploring Lee trades
Marcus Thompson of Bay Area News Group:
The Warriors have tried to move David Lee in the past. But it needed to be a no-brainer in order for them to pull the trigger. But now, per a couple league sources, the Warriors have lowered the bar realizing they’ve got to come off that contract so they can go after a co-star for Stephen Curry. Plus, with Steve Kerr acknowledging he wants a stretch-four, which Lee is not, the writing is really on the wall for Lee.
I’ve been told to watch out for Orlando as a potential trade partner for Golden State. They have cap space and after a second consecutive year finishing way down in the Eastern Conference standings, they need to make a move. They might be a taker for David Lee for the same reasons the Warriors were back in 2010: they need someone who can produce reliably and usher the franchise into respectability.
The Warriors might not want to trade Klay Thompson, but if they want Love, they might have to. It’s difficult to create a package including neither Thompson nor Stephen Curry, who’s not going anywhere, and tempt Minnesota.
So, not only would a Love-to-Golden State probably leave a hole at shooting guard, it would create a surplus of power forwards.
Enter Orlando.
The Magic could easily have as much as $26 million in cap space this offseason. It will be difficult for them, coming off back-to-back miserable seasons, to attract a free agent better than Lee, and they have to reach the team-salary floor.

So, this could be a good opportunity for Orlando to pluck Lee. Lee’s contract ($15,012,000 in 2014-15 and $15,493,680 in 2015-16) isn’t so costly that the Magic can request a sweetener from Golden State, but Lee’s salary certainly lowers his value.
On the plus side, Lee is still good enough to boost Orlando’s play. Maybe he can even have an Al Jefferson-like impact.

The Magic’s most obvious trade chip is Arron Afflalo. With Victor Oladipo emerging and Dante Exum or Marcus Smart possible picks at No. 4, Afflalo is becoming especially expendable.
But the Magic trading the cheaper Afflalo for Lee wouldn’t really be taking advantage of their advantageous position. They should do better in the end, but Afflalo-for-Lee can be a starting point.
And then there’s Golden State’s side.

Curry and Lee, teammates the last four seasons, have an excellent offensive chemistry. Knowing where each other will be, they have the confidence to whip passes back and forth – creating space that way. The Warriors shouldn’t throw that away just to chase a stretch four who spaces the floor more traditionally through outside shooting.

But Love isn’t just any stretch four.
If the Warriors have to trade Thompson and take a loss on a separate Lee trade – either giving up more to get Afflalo or accepting less from Orlando – that could very much be worth it.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Lol

Eric Koreen @ekoreen 2 minutes ago
Amir Johnson and Marcin Gortat we're picked back-to-back, at 56 and 57, in 2005 NBA Draft. That is improbable.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Dwight Howard starts Carmelo-to-Rockets push
By Marc Berman
June 18, 2014 | 4:27pm

knicks_melo_rockets.jpg

The Rockets' Dwight Howard says impending free agent Carmelo Anthony has long talked of a partnership of the superstars.
Photo: Paul J. Bereswill
Rockets center Dwight Howard hasn’t spoken to Carmelo Anthony recently, but he has hope Anthony will take a long look at Houston when he becomes a free agent.
Howard can’t forget the time Anthony — who can opt out of his Knicks contract and enter free agency July 1 — gave him the ultimate compliment years ago. Howard won’t be doing the recruiting, but said, “It would be great to have him.”
“I think he just wants to win right now,” Howard said in a Q&A with USA Today. “That’s his only goal. I’ve always been a Melo fan. One thing he said in an interview a long time ago, I think my first or second year in the league, I remember him saying that if he could play with one guy in the league, he would play with Dwight Howard, so you never know. You never know what could happen.”
Earlier in the season, Howard talked about Anthony’s impending free agency by saying endorsements come through winning, not from being in a big market like New York City. It was his way of sending Anthony a message.
“I haven’t spoken with Melo personally,” Howard said. “I know this is a time for him when he has to really just focus on what’s going to be best for him. And I really believe that in this point in Melo’s career, he just wants to win. He’s done everything — we both have that kind of same mentality to where all the individual accolades, we’ve got them. We’ve got a gold medal, he has been in tops in scoring for a while, but those are all individual things.
“I think at this point he just wants to win, so it would be great to have him here because I know what his focus would be. It’s up to him, where he’s at in his career. But I want people on my team who are all about winning.”
The Rockets were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Trail Blazers, and general manager Daryl Morey has grand visions of opening up cap space to potentially sign Anthony. He’ll need to dispatch Omer Asik and former Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin and take on little salary in return.
The Post reported the Knicks and Rockets engaged in discussions on Asik near the trade deadline, with Iman Shumpert one of the pawns. It’s doubtful the Knicks would want to accelerate Anthony’s departure by doing a sign-and-trade with Houston.
Anthony is on record saying his decision will be based on winning titles, but it’s unclear if Houston is close to a championship in the rugged Western Conference. A recent Yahoo! Sports report said Anthony was “leaning” toward leaving New York, with Chicago and Houston atop his list. But neither club has cap space, and The Post reported the Knicks brass was satisfied with a meeting with Anthony in Los Angeles and likes their odds of retaining him.
“Right now, I don’t know, but for Melo’s sake, I just hope he goes somewhere where he feels like he has a chance to win and be successful for the next four or five years of his career,” Howard said. “I don’t know what [Anthony] is going to do, but he wants to win.”

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

The champs and runnerup leaving for summer break...key players have decision to make...

LeBron, Heat conduct exit interviews; Parker confident Duncan will return

June 17, 2014 by Ben Baroff

BufUB.Em.56.jpg

There is no time to waste after the NBA Finals. Despite the brilliance of the San Antonio Spurs, just minutes after the NBA Finals concluded Sunday night began the talk of the Decision II.

To credit the NBA, the league has always done a marvelous job of trimming the fat. The NBA draft is just eight days away, with free agency beginning just a week after that. There’s no time to waste, and thus never a shortage of headlines. Well, until the dog days of August. But let’s focus on what’s relevant now.

That would be LeBron James and his running mates: Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Four years ago they shifted the power of the NBA to South Beach, forming one of the most unlikely alliances in sports history. Together, they have never failed to reach an NBA Finals, winning two-of-four.

Not too shabby, right?

Well…

Not so fast.

It all starts with LeBron James. He is the best player on the planet. But he has not given any indication on what he plans to do. So until LeBron deciphers some clarity and picks a direction, it will be hard to predict the immediate future of the NBA. Here’s more from Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:

James said he hasn’t decided whether to exercise his early termination clause but “being able to have flexibility is what we all would like.”

LeBron passed on an opportunity to say whether he intends to stay with the Heat or whether he wants to look elsewhere.

“I haven’t even begun to wrap my mind about it. I need to get away with my family before I start to think about what will happen next.”

Among factors that will influence his decision, James cited family and a desire to win. “For me, I just want to win,” he said, “and that’s all that matters to me.”

He said the Heat doesn’t need to tell him anything, per se, to influence him to stay.

“I understand what this team, this franchise, brings to the table.”

After the season that was, it’s probably in LeBron’s best interest to take some time away from the game. He carried a heavier burden than any other player in the league not named Kevin Durant. His teammates disappeared on him in the Finals, including Dwyane Wade, who sat out more than a third of the season just to maintain enough health to bring his A-game when it mattered most.

But that backfired, clearly, so LeBron is left with quite a bit to think about. James said after he vacations with his family, he is going to sit down and talk with Wade and Bosh.

“I think there will be a conversation between the three of us,” he said. “I’m not sure what Dwyane is thinking right now.”

Asked if he would talk to outside free agents about possibly signing here before making a decision, LeBron said he didn’t even know the list of free agents and did not necessarily feel it’s his place to do that before Pat Riley determines which players he wants to pursue.

Asked three times in some variation if the Big Three might be interested in taking less money like the Spurs’ Big Three, LeBron essentially deferred, showing no interest in addressing the matter.

While Bosh and Wade have not made any final decisions either, Bosh has been adamant that he would prefer to stay in Miami.

I want to be here. My family is here. I love working here. It’s a great place.

“We will talk with Riles, hear his plan, talk with our families and try to figure this out. I’m sure Riley has finite plan moving forward. It starts with listening to him. Eventually we will come together and figure this thing out. We feel that if we stay together, we can continue to compete. Everything is a possibility. That’s why they negotiate. But I want to be here.”

Spurs expect team to return in full

tim-duncan-finals.jpg

On the flip side, the San Antonio Spurs are riding high, and they play to continue to do so into next season as the defending champs. The memo came straight from Tony Parker:

“It will come to an end, but I don’t think next year,” Parker told reporters after the Spurs beat the Miami Heat Sunday in the NBA Finals for their fifth championship in 15 seasons. “I think everybody’s gonna come back.”

Parker believes his longtime teammate will return and join Manu Ginobili, Finals MVP Kawhi Leonardand himself as they try to defend their title.

Spurs owner Peter Holt agrees with Parker’s assessment.

“Tim and Manu are going to play until they die, so I think we are in pretty good shape,” Holt told reporters. “Tim and Manu want to play until they die, somewhat sincerely, actually.”

Duncan was very emotional after the Spurs won their fifth championship Sunday night, but continues to claim he will return if he believes he can still be effective.

There is no doubt that he can be after that display.

Duncan averaged 15.1 points and 9.7 rebounds in 29 minutes per game during the regular season and 15 points and 10 rebounds during the playoffs. Add in his invaluable defense, knowledge and leadership, and there is no reason the Spurs should not be considered favorites in the West if the 38 year-old returns.

“I don’t see any reason, watching him play, why he can’t continue to be a great player,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said during Sunday’s celebration. “He’ll make that decision.”

Just like James, Wade and Bosh, Tim Duncan has a decision to make in the next two weeks that could alter the landscape of the NBA.

“I think I said it many times. There was not one season since I’m in the NBA that I really didn’t truly believe that we could have won it,” said Ginobili, who will turn 37 in July. “Every year we were up there. Sometimes we were No. 1, and we lost in the first round. Some other times we were seventh, and we had a shot at winning it.

“But playing with the teammates I’ve always played [with], coached by the guy that is coaching us, I always felt that we had a shot, and I truly never believed it was the last shot.”

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Report: Kyle Lowry, Miami Heat have ‘mutual interest’
Brett Pollakoff Jun 17, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
43 Comments

hi-res-59d40768c431d69d8c7466fec2f98ef6_crop_exact.

This summer will be an extremely interesting one for the Heat, as the team that was crushed in the Finals by the Spurs looks to reload its roster to make it back for a credible shot at a title again next season.
It all starts with LeBron James, obviously, who along with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh can opt out of the final two years of their respective contracts to become unrestricted free agents.
There are plenty of options for the Miami Big Three to consider if they choose to stay, and exactly how each of them decides to structure their individual contracts moving forward will play a key role in just how much talent the team can surround them with next season.
Should there be a wealth of salary cap space created by these guys opting out and signing long-term for less, there’s at least one very good player on the market who is available, and would be an immense upgrade at a position where one is desperately needed.
“The guy who has mutual interest with the Heat and plays a position of need would be Kyle Lowry of the Toronto Raptors,” reports ESPN’s Brian Windhorst. “But that, again, is a long shot unless these guys take big pay cuts.”
The mutual interest part seems silly, considering that most free agents would sign up to play in Miami alongside James, Wade and Bosh if the contract price was right. But Lowry simply seems like he’d cost too much.
The Raptors guard played at an All-Star level for the majority of the season and into the playoffs, and is in line for a hefty contract in free agency that was well-earned. The Heat stars would need to all take significantly less money in order to add a fourth high-caliber talent to the roster, and just as it isn’t clear yet if they’ll all be back, it’s even less certain that everyone would leave several million on the table in order to add anything less than a sure thing — someone like Carmelo Anthony comes to mind, but that scenario seems less likely and more far-fetched.
Lowry seemed like he was envisioning himself as part of Toronto’s future shortly after his team’s playoff loss to the Nets, but that will only be the case if the deal offered by the Raptors is in line with what he can get somewhere else. Either way, Miami will be hard-pressed to free up enough money to make a serious run at a costly talent like Lowry — unless James, Wade and Bosh all are convinced he’s the critical piece that will put them back into championship contention.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

^^^^^ big time upgrade over rio

Get that shit done

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Whose Draft Stock is On the Rise?
By Alex Kennedy | Senior NBA Editor

What aspects of their game are the 2014 NBA Draft prospects working on? Basketball Insiders asked them.

Whose Draft Stock is On the Rise?

The 2014 NBA Draft is one week away, which means teams are starting to zero in on players and prospects are starting to climb based on their performance in the pre-draft process. Here is a look at eight prospects whose stock is on the rise:

Doug McDermott – McDermott is the biggest name on this list and even though he entered the pre-draft process ranked relatively high, his stock is still soaring and it’s very possible that he’ll be picked in the top eight on June 26.

Initially, McDermott was expected to be a mid-to-late first rounder, which wasn’t bad for him considering he’ll be 23 years old in January and there were some questions about the level of competition he dominated against at Creighton.

However, there’s a bit of a love fest going on over McDermott. This started at the NBA combine in Chicago, when McDermott came off incredibly well in interviews. One executive who interviewed McDermott in Chicago said that he and his fellow front office staffers fell in love with the forward during their face-to-face meeting, to the point that the group cheered and high-fived when McDermott correctly answered a tough math question designed to trick players. That’s how likeable this guy is. As a coach’s son, McDermott says all of the right things and carries himself very well, which is an important part of this process.

However, he has also wowed teams on the court and surprised some talent evaluators in workouts. The guy can flat out score the ball and hit shots from anywhere on the court, so it’s no surprise that he has been able to dominate in the workout environment and embarrass some of his peers. One executive recently told me that McDermott is the best shooter to come through the draft in quite awhile. The Creighton star averaged 26.7 points per game as a senior and he never shot below 52.5 percent from the field during his collegiate career. Last season, he hit 44.9 percent of his three-point shots, a number that was actually down from his campaigns as a junior (49 percent) and sophomore (48.6 percent). Not to mention, he’s also a solid rebounder and has an exceptional basketball IQ.

McDermott was able to put up these ridiculous numbers despite being Creighton’s lone NBA prospect. After McDermott, the next highest scorer for the Bluejays was Ethan Wragge, who averaged just 10.4 points. Executives believe that McDermott will be even more of a threat in the NBA since he’ll be surrounded by NBA-caliber players and defenses won’t be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

There’s no question that McDermott’s defense is a concern, but he has vowed to work hard on that end of the floor to improve. As previously mentioned, his age is also a bit scary. How much more room for improvement does he really have? And does it make sense to pick him over one-and-done prospects like Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh, both of whom are four years younger than McDermott?

McDermott has been mentioned as a serious option for the Sacramento Kings at No. 8, Charlotte Hornets at No. 9 and Philadelphia 76ers at No. 10. It’s hard to imagine him slipping out of the lottery at this point, and there’s also the possibility that a team will trade up to land McDermott on draft night.

Elfrid Payton – The biggest climber in recent weeks has been Payton, who is now drawing interest from several teams in the teens and even getting serious looks from lottery teams.

Entering his junior season at Louisiana-Lafayette, he was being projected as a second-rounder. After a dominant campaign in which he averaged 19.2 points, six rebounds, 5.9 assists and 2.3 steals while leading ULL to the NCAA Tournament, he was being projected as a late first-round pick. Now, after dominating pre-draft workouts, it’s unlikely that he drops past the Boston Celtics at No. 17 (as a number of people around the NBA have said that this is his floor).

Payton has had the chance to work out against some of the other top point guard prospects in this draft class, including Marcus Smart and Tyler Ennis among others, and he has done a fantastic job. Entering this process, there were some questions about how he would fare against NBA-level competition, since he didn’t face the toughest opposition in college. However, his workouts have erased that concern and now the only question surrounding Payton is just how high will he go on June 26?

After seeing him destroy his peers in workouts, many teams went back to the film to see what they missed on Payton throughout the season. They were reminded that he was one of the best players in the nation last year, ranking 11th in the country in field goals (237), 11th in assists (208), ninth in steals (80) and sixth in points produced (732). His lockdown defense also earned him the Lefty Driesell Award, which is given to college basketball’s top defensive player.

His shot needs some work, but there is just so much to like about Payton. He has the size (6’4), length (6’8 wingspan) and quickness to cause problems in the NBA, and these traits have led to some comparisons to Rajon Rondo (whom Payton says he studies and models his game after). Payton can run the pick-and-roll and facilitate for teammates, and his swarming defense will make his NBA head coach fall in love with him.

Payton is also incredibly tough, which isn’t a surprise when you consider that his father, Elfrid Payton Sr., was a star defensive end in the Canadian Football League, playing from 1991 to 2004 and making seven All-Star appearances throughout his career. He was a two-time Grey Cup champion and was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

Several destinations for Payton include No. 8 to the Sacramento Kings (or slightly below that to the Kings if they trade down), No. 12 to the Orlando Magic, No. 16 to the Chicago Bulls or No. 17 to the aforementioned Celtics.

Rodney Hood – Entering the pre-draft process, Hood was being projected in the 20-25 range, but he has really helped in his draft stock lately. Now, it seems that Hood could go in the late lottery or mid-teens.

Hood has a lot of fans around the NBA, and it’s hard to imagine him falling past the Chicago Bulls at No. 16 given their need for scoring and three-point shooting.

The former Duke forward is automatic shooting the ball from just about anywhere on the court. He has really impressed teams in workouts with his scoring ability, and teams like that his excellent shooting ability is an obvious translatable skill that will help his transition to the league.

Even though Hood’s shooting is his biggest strength, he’s determined to show teams that he’s much more than just a shooter. He’s an efficient scorer with a high basketball IQ, and he has been working hard to improve his ballhandling and finishing at the rim so he can be a more well-rounded scorer. He has also been spending a lot of time in the weight room to bulk up and add some strength to his lanky frame. Hood also believes he’s better defensively than advertised, and throughout this process he has pointed out that he was often tasked with guarding the opponent’s best player on most nights for Duke.

Teams also love Hood’s work ethic and desire to be great. He has been very committed to the pre-draft process, doing two-a-days in the gym at IMG Academy. He has also changed his diet to follow a professional nutrition plan while doing vision training, swimming drills, weightlifting, drills on the IMG football field and more to prepare for the NBA, which proves how serious he is about getting better.

Hood will turn 22 years old in October, which is likely the only reason he isn’t being mentioned as a top-10 pick. Some teams may feel that he doesn’t have the upside of a younger prospect. However, Hood does have a lot of supporters around the NBA and he seems poised to have a long, successful career.

T.J. Warren – If you read a lot of mock drafts, you’ve probably noticed that Warren keeps climbing higher and higher with every new version that comes out.

Initially, he was being projected as a late-first round pick – an attractive prospect for a win-now team like the Houston Rockets, Miami HEAT or Oklahoma City Thunder. Now, you’re starting to see Warren projected to go just outside of the lottery, with teams like the Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls and Phoenix Suns being mentioned as possible landing spots for Warren.

One executive whose team is picking in the mid-20s recently told me that they would select Warren in a heartbeat if he fell to them, but that there’s “no way” he’ll be available when they’re on the clock.

Warren is one of the best scorers in the draft, as last season he averaged 24.9 points and led the nation in field goals made (342). He was also one of the most efficient players in the country, finishing with a 31.3 PER that was the second-highest among the draft’s top 100 prospects (behind only Doug McDermott).

Warren scores most of his baskets on two-point jumpers, which is somewhat rare these days since most scorers knock down threes, finish at the rim or get to the foul line. But there’s no question that Warren is extremely skilled and has a great feel for the game. He’s expected to go in the middle of the first round, which is much higher than previously anticipated.

Zach LaVine – It’s easy to see why LaVine’s stock is up. The pre-draft environment is perfect for an athletic freak like LaVine, who can wow teams with his vertical leap and quickness. Teams see his athletic testing (including his 46-inch vertical leap) and wonder just how good he could become in an NBA development program.

Sure, he’s extremely raw and needs a lot of work, but he has certain things that you just can’t teach that are attractive to teams. A team can likely help LaVine improve his jump shot and ballhandling, but they can’t help a more skilled prospect become an athletic specimen who jumps out of the gym.

That’s why LaVine is getting so many looks right now; the draft is all about potential and most teams select players based on who they can become a few years down the road versus who they are now.

In college, LaVine played well in the beginning of the season at UCLA, but came down to earth in a big way late in the year. He isn’t a good shooter, which is a concern, and his assist rate leaves a lot to be desired. There are also concerns about his ability to play point guard in the NBA, since he’s more a combo guard who would need to learn the position and really improve his skills as a floor general.

He’s only 19 years old and teams are excited about his upside, since he has all of the physical tools to be a very solid player in the NBA. The question is, as a boom-or-bust prospect, how high will he go on draft night? He’s someone who makes sense in the 15-20 range, since he’s a low-risk, high-reward pick there and a team can afford to be patient with him as he develops rather than expecting results from day one.

Jarnell Stokes – If you watched this year’s NCAA Tournament, there’s a good chance you know about Stokes. He was the monster for Tennessee who looked like a man among boys and consistently racked up double-doubles. Now, he’s performing similarly well in pre-draft workouts and seems to be solidifying himself as a first-round pick.

For much of the college season, Stokes was being projected as a second-rounder because teams worried that he was a bit undersized as a power forward and they weren’t sure if his skills would translate to the NBA. However, as teams have gotten a chance to see Stokes up close in workouts, they are confident that he can continue to be an interior force at the next level.

Stokes is 6’8.5 with a 7’1.25 wingspan, but it’s his mass and strength that separates him from a lot of big men. He weighs 263 lbs. and is incredibly strong, as evidenced by his 22 bench-press reps at the combine, where the all-time record is 27 reps.

His lower-body strength is ridiculous and his legs literally look like tree trunks, allowing him to move and overpower players who are bigger than him. What’s even more impressive is that Stokes says he had never really done squats until beginning his pre-draft training, which means he should be able to get even stronger once he enters an NBA development program.

Stokes is an excellent scorer and a beast on the offensive glass. He’s also young for a junior at 20 years old. Stokes has been on the NBA radar for quite awhile, since he was one of the top high school players in the 2011 class. This season at Tennessee, he averaged 15.1 points and 10.6 rebounds while shooting 53.1 percent from the field. Several years ago, he wanted to become more of perimeter player and modeled his game after Carmelo Anthony. However, he now understands that he’s at his best down low and he started studying film of Karl Malone and David West during his junior season.

Stokes is drawing interest from a number of teams in the 25-30 range, with the Miami HEAT said to really like him at No. 26. They’ve already worked him out once and are bringing him back for a second workout, which is why you’re starting to see Stokes to Miami in many mock drafts.

In a recent ESPN article by numbers guru Kevin Pelton, Stokes was rated the 12th-best prospect in terms of wins above replacement player projection.

Also, here’s a story to give you of an idea of Stokes’ toughness and competitiveness. He was recently being driven to a workout for the Indiana Pacers, when a car came out of nowhere and crashed into his vehicle. Stokes sustained a concussion, lacerations and his face was covered in blood, but he had to be talked into getting into an ambulance to go the hospital because he still wanted to make it to his Pacers workouts. Doctors told him that he would likely need to take three-to-four weeks off, but Stokes was back working out for teams one week later after reshuffling his schedule. That’s the kind of guy that I want on my team.

Shabazz Napier – Napier’s meteoric rise obviously started during the NCAA Tournament, when he shocked the world by leading Connecticut to a championship – his second title in four years.

While his strong play during March Madness certainly helped him a lot, there were still some questions about how he would translate to the NBA given his size and age.

At 6’1 and 175 lbs. with a 6’3.25 wingspan, many talent evaluators felt that he was too small to dominate against NBA opposition like he did in college. He’s also about to turn 23 years old next month, which has teams wondering if he still has much upside, and that doesn’t look great next to teenage point guard prospects like Tyler Ennis and Zach LaVine.

However, there’s no question that Napier can play and he should be able to help an NBA team off of the bench from day one. That’s why he’s currently climbing draft boards, because the playoff teams in the 20-30 range believe he can make an immediate impact as a reserve.

Some teams like to go for the dare-to-be-great pick, selecting a project who could turn out to be a steal after a few years of development. But there are also teams that pick more conservatively and those are the teams that are showing a ton of interest in Napier.

Napier could sneak into the teens, to a team like the Chicago Bulls or Boston Celtics. If he doesn’t go that high, he’ll almost certainly get snatched up in the late first-round by a team like the Memphis Grizzlies, Miami HEAT, Charlotte Hornets (for a reunion with Kemba Walker), Los Angeles Clippers or San Antonio Spurs. Napier’s college resume is basically perfect, and some team is going to grab him in the first round.

Mitch McGary – McGary’s sophomore season at Michigan didn’t go quite as planned. After emerging as a key contributor during the Wolverines’ national championship run as a freshman, he decided to return to school and was expected to be the team’s focal point after Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. left for the NBA.

However, McGary ended up playing in just eight games as a sophomore due to a back injury and he averaged a mediocre 9.5 points and 8.3 rebounds. Then, during the NCAA Tournament, McGary tested positive for marijuana, which would have led to him being suspended for all of next season, so he entered the 2014 NBA Draft despite the fact that his stock had dropped significantly.

McGary was hoping for a breakout season that propelled him into the lottery, but that obviously didn’t happen and now he’ll likely go lower than he would have had he entered the 2013 NBA Draft.

With that said, McGary’s stock has been climbing in recent weeks and a number of executives believe that the big man has a promise from a team in the 20-30 range.

McGary’s decision to skip the NBA draft combine in Chicago several weeks ago was strange, and now he is refusing to work out for a number of teams. Whenever this happens, it usually means that a player has a promise from a team in the first round, since the team will encourage the player to shut down workouts and avoid other teams to ensure that they land their guy.

A number of teams have tried very hard to get McGary in for a workout, but his camp isn’t budging, which has talent evaluators around the NBA wondering which team has made him a promise. Fringe first-round picks don’t turn down workouts unless their camp has something up their sleeve.

Executives have speculated that he could have a promise from the Los Angeles Clippers at No. 28, Oklahoma City Thunder at No. 29 or San Antonio Spurs at No. 30. These are attractive organizations (hence why McGary’s camp would agree to shut down workouts) and each of these teams could use a skilled big man who’s capable of contributing right away. These teams likely view McGary as a great value pick late in the first round, considering he was being discussed as a potential lottery pick one year ago before the injury and suspension significantly hurt his stock.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-whos-draft-stock-is-on-the-rise/#77UW3TzDfYF2A2az.99

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

Well I'll rather his backup, so we could draft Napier and try a combination of Trevor and Gortat

Funny shit is as much ribbing D Williams got he would be a perfect fit on the heat because he wouldn't be the main guy to go too

But yeah Lowry with Napier and Gortat solves that PG and Center issue..

I'm not taking Napier over Cole tho..

Lowry and Livingston I would go with

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Young Seeking Longer Deal; Open to Discount

nyounglak.jpg

Though he considers the Lakers “his first choice,” (Nick) Young will opt out of his $1.2 million player option before the June 25 deadline. That would allow Young both to test the open market as an unrestricted free agent beginning July 1 and possibly leverage a larger deal with the Lakers. Young sounded specific with what he hoped the Lakers could offer after averaging a team-leading 17.9 points on 43.4 percent shooting primarily as a backup forward.
“Just more years. I believe I deserve more,” Young said Wednesday in an interview with this newspaper. “That’s up to my agent to do that for me. The Lakers are home, but things could happen. With free agency this year, it’s going to be crazy to see.”
“I think I could stick to my same role and help out Kobe,” Young said. “He has to come out of the game sometime. If they get another good player, they have to come out of the game sometime. I’ll be their Jamal Crawford. The Clippers have a Sixth Man of the Year. The Lakers need to have one too.”
“It depends how much the discount is,” Young said. “But as a player, everyone wants a place they feel comfortable at. I feel comfortable in L.A. But I can’t keep taking these discounts. I need a raise a little bit. But if it’s for the right cost and they’re bringing in players and I fit into the rotation, then I’ll probably take a pay cut.”

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Funny shit is as much ribbing D Williams got he would be a perfect fit on the heat because he wouldn't be the main guy to go too

But yeah Lowry with Napier and Gortat solves that PG and Center issue..

I'm not taking Napier over Cole tho..

Lowry and Livingston I would go with
Yea that's understandable but I just like Shabazz's attitude along with his game. For some reason I feel Chamlers will be back. I'll like Napier to be the third PG where we could use him as a combo guard also.

The Chamlers/Cole package was very affective at times.
So having a extra backup point won't hurt.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

I think it's a done deal now

Source: Warriors have included Klay Thompson in Kevin Love trade talks

484864177-klay-thompson-of-the-golden-state-warriors-gettyimages.jpg

Yahoo Sports By Marc J. Spears 32 minutes ago
The Golden State Warriors recently included shooting guard Klay Thompson in trade talks for Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star power forward Kevin Love, a source told Yahoo Sports.

The framework of the proposed deal is Love and shooting guard Kevin Martin to Golden State for Thompson and power forward David Lee, the source said.

Thompson, who is slated to become a restricted free agent in 2015, would be open to going to Minnesota because he believes it would increase his chances of getting a maximum contract, the source said.

Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry will each make $10.6 million or more next season, meaning that big money for Thompson, 24, could be hard to come by in Golden State. The contracts of that group aren't set to expire until after the 2016-17 season.

Mychal Thompson, Klay's father who played college basketball at Minnesota before a lengthy NBA career, originally reported that his son had been included in the trade talks.

killa kadafi191

Support BGOL
Registered

I think it's a done deal now

Source: Warriors have included Klay Thompson in Kevin Love trade talks

484864177-klay-thompson-of-the-golden-state-warriors-gettyimages.jpg

Yahoo Sports By Marc J. Spears 32 minutes ago
The Golden State Warriors recently included shooting guard Klay Thompson in trade talks for Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star power forward Kevin Love, a source told Yahoo Sports.

The framework of the proposed deal is Love and shooting guard Kevin Martin to Golden State for Thompson and power forward David Lee, the source said.

Thompson, who is slated to become a restricted free agent in 2015, would be open to going to Minnesota because he believes it would increase his chances of getting a maximum contract, the source said.

Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala and Stephen Curry will each make $10.6 million or more next season, meaning that big money for Thompson, 24, could be hard to come by in Golden State. The contracts of that group aren't set to expire until after the 2016-17 season.

Mychal Thompson, Klay's father who played college basketball at Minnesota before a lengthy NBA career, originally reported that his son had been included in the trade talks.

hmmmmmmmm this sounds very familiar

who said no is mentioning them?? Thing is the Warriors are a dark horse because ever since Kevin Love signed that stupid ass contract people have predicted he will become a Laker.

Rumors before this was (Bulls and a New York team) and before that (Lakers)

The offer you mention is okay but David Lee Barnes and first round pick won't be enough.

Remember Flip is in the Warriors front office. Remember how much the Wolves received from Boston in order to trade KG. Crazy thing is Timberwolves felt like they were fucked in that deal because they had nothing to show in that deal.

Warriors advantage isn't David Lee's expiring contract. It's that it has young players still on their rookie deals that have promise. Which means they will control their destiny and can't leave in the off season unless they want to.

Harrison Barnes will likely be apart of the deal but I expect the wolves will want Klay Thompson in fact I expect a swap for Kevin Martin (who's Steve Kerr is a big fan of) since Rick is no longer coaching.

Barnes Klay David Lee and a first round pick will get it done.

Lakers could probably get Love if they get the number 1 pick and are willing to deal it but seriously if you are the Lakers you don't trade a number 1 pick for Kevin Love.

Bulls aren't moving Noah.

Knicks and Nets don't have shit to offer.

Woj says Houston could be in play here but they will need a third team.

Again I said this back when the Warriors were going after him.

When you know who's throwing the party you know what kind of food they will serve.

Meaning Flip Saunders wants young talented players on their rookie contracts who destiny the Timberwolves will control. (restricted free agents.)

Klay Thompson is expendable because the Warriors front office want a star. You get Kevin Love and you avoid having to pay Thompson this summer/fall and Barnes next year.

Love to the Warriors looks like a done deal unless something changes between now and Thursday

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered

I wouldn't mind Nick Young coming off the bench for cheap

Be like Nate Robinson was for us in '12

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

I wouldn't mind Nick Young coming off the bench for cheap

Be like Nate Robinson was for us in '12

Nate is why more consistant than nick young.. Young is a perennial loser

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered

Nate is why more consistant than nick young.. Young is a perennial loser

Nick Young's numbers are slightly better

And he's better than Dunleavy and Tony Snell

And cheaper, shit he talking about a discount, he only make 1.2

He's just as bone headed as Nate but he's not as much of a defensive liability.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Nick Young's numbers are slightly better

And he's better than Dunleavy and Tony Snell

And cheaper, shit he talking about a discount, he only make 1.2

He's just as bone headed as Nate but he's not as much of a defensive liability.
I'm assuming what he meant by discount was similar money but longer deal.

I feel Nick could easily get 3 to 4 mill a year...

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

hmmmmmmmm this sounds very familiar

Again I said this back when the Warriors were going after him.

When you know who's throwing the party you know what kind of food they will serve.

Meaning Flip Saunders wants young talented players on their rookie contracts who destiny the Timberwolves will control. (restricted free agents.)

Klay Thompson is expendable because the Warriors front office want a star. You get Kevin Love and you avoid having to pay Thompson this summer/fall and Barnes next year.

Love to the Warriors looks like a done deal unless something changes between now and Thursday
Well Killa we know your very knowledgeable with the front office business shit...

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

The Mario Chalmers Replacement Miami Heat Must Take in NBA Draft

Jun 18, 2014
shabazz-napier.jpg

The Miami Heat will be looking to upgrade their point guard position in the upcoming NBA draft after a dismal performance by Mario Chalmers in the NBA Finals against the San Antonio Spurs. Could UConn's Shabazz Napier be the guy to help get the Heat back on track?

Jonathan Wasserman and Adam Lefkoe discuss Napier's potential with Miami in the video above.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...replacement-miami-heat-must-take-in-nba-draft

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Miami Heat Draft Profile: Shabazz Napier

shabazz-napier-ncaa-basketball-championship-game-connecticut-vs-kentucky.jpg

The Miami Heat have only one pick (no. 26) going into the 2014 NBA Draft. Up until the draft day, All U Can Heat will preview a list of potential prospects that the Heat have worked out or are rumored to be interested in.

Name: Shabazz Napier College: Connecticut Projected Position: Point Guard Age: 22 Height: 6’ 1” (in shoes) Wingspan: 6’ 10.75” Weight: 175 pounds

Positives
Versatile Jump Shooter – Most of Shabazz’s offense is generated through his jump shot, and he can get it off in a multitude of ways. Napier excellent in isolation, where he rocks defenders to sleep with his isolation dribble and can pull up from either three or long-two distance. Napier is also an excellent catch and shoot scorer off pick and roll action. Excellent Handle – Napier’s dribbling allows him to get to anywhere on the court. His go-to is the hesi-dribble combined which his quick first step that catches the defender flat-footed, especially when the defense switches coming off a pick-and-roll. His handle is good enough to get him to the basket through traffic where he is willing to drive-and-kick or dump it off to a big man inside. Toughness – He’s tough both mentally and physically. He stuck with UConn through their postseason suspension when it might have been easier just to transfer. In the literal sense, Napier durable for his size. He isn’t an excellent finisher at the rim, but Shabazz uses his body and ball fakes to create contact and draw fouls quite well. Mature - Went through some ups and downs at UConn. Napier single-handedly led the Huskies to their improbable championship run in 2014. He’ll be able to contribute to an NBA team right away.

Negatives
Decision Making – Napier can be careless with the ball at times, forcing passes that just aren’t there. He struggles hitting the roll man in pick-and-roll situations. Shabazz also has a tendency to take contested jump shots early in the shot clock. Time-and-score situations will be something that his NBA team will work on with him right away. He’s also overly reliant on his jump shot (73% of his total shots). Size – He’s an undersized scoring guard just under 6′ 0″ without shoes. There will be nights when he’s matched up with someone who’s 5-6 inches tall than he is. Can he get his jump shot off against quick, rangy point guards? Explosiveness – Shabazz isn’t not an explosive athlete. His jumping ability is below average and he struggles to finish inside because of it. Napier can be quick in areas, but he’s not explicitly fast. There are NBA point guards who are both bigger and quicker than he is, and they’ll play him tight, forcing him to go to the rim instead to picking his jumpers. Inconsistent Defense – Napier has the ability to be a solid NBA team defender one day, but he isn’t completely dialed in defensively at the moment. After a few rotations, Shabazz tends to stand up straight and will get blown by off the dribble with shaky closeout technique. His defensive problems manifest from the combination of the offensive load that he had to carry at UConn, and simply a lack of focus to play defense through the entirety of the shot clock.

Fit With Heat
From an intangibles standpoint, Shabazz Napier is a great fit with the Heat. He’s ready to play right away in the NBA, and we know after this past March that he’s not afraid of big situations. And um, lets just say that, free agency wise, Mario Chalmers didn’t help his own cause this postseason, so point guard is definitely an area where Miami will try to improve over the offseason.

From a skills standpoint, Shabazz and the Heat are close, but not exactly a perfect match. One of the biggest difference between this season’s Heat team and previous years’ was a dip in their perimeter defense. Shabazz isn’t there yet defensively, but he has the physical tools to become a solid defender if he wants to be. Offensively, Napier obviously wouldn’t have to carry the same burden that he did with the Huskies. He can play without it, but Shabazz is really most comfortable with the ball in his hands. Napier will most likely become a combo guard in the NBA. It will come down to whether the Heat want to pick up a guard through the draft or free agency. Rookie wise, there probably wont be a better point guard than Napier waiting for Miami at no. 26.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

There's no secret what college pg l'll like the heat to draft, if Chamlers leave while the rest of the group returns.

monsterman

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I don't see the heat making any drastic changes...I def don't see wade taking a pay cut nor melo just to be there...they def need a new PG tho

Maybe Kyle Lowry...

Report: Kyle Lowry, Miami Heat have ‘mutual interest’
Brett Pollakoff Jun 17, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
43 Comments

hi-res-59d40768c431d69d8c7466fec2f98ef6_crop_exact.

This summer will be an extremely interesting one for the Heat, as the team that was crushed in the Finals by the Spurs looks to reload its roster to make it back for a credible shot at a title again next season.
It all starts with LeBron James, obviously, who along with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh can opt out of the final two years of their respective contracts to become unrestricted free agents.
There are plenty of options for the Miami Big Three to consider if they choose to stay, and exactly how each of them decides to structure their individual contracts moving forward will play a key role in just how much talent the team can surround them with next season.
Should there be a wealth of salary cap space created by these guys opting out and signing long-term for less, there’s at least one very good player on the market who is available, and would be an immense upgrade at a position where one is desperately needed.
“The guy who has mutual interest with the Heat and plays a position of need would be Kyle Lowry of the Toronto Raptors,” reports ESPN’s Brian Windhorst. “But that, again, is a long shot unless these guys take big pay cuts.”
The mutual interest part seems silly, considering that most free agents would sign up to play in Miami alongside James, Wade and Bosh if the contract price was right. But Lowry simply seems like he’d cost too much.
The Raptors guard played at an All-Star level for the majority of the season and into the playoffs, and is in line for a hefty contract in free agency that was well-earned. The Heat stars would need to all take significantly less money in order to add a fourth high-caliber talent to the roster, and just as it isn’t clear yet if they’ll all be back, it’s even less certain that everyone would leave several million on the table in order to add anything less than a sure thing — someone like Carmelo Anthony comes to mind, but that scenario seems less likely and more far-fetched.
Lowry seemed like he was envisioning himself as part of Toronto’s future shortly after his team’s playoff loss to the Nets, but that will only be the case if the deal offered by the Raptors is in line with what he can get somewhere else. Either way, Miami will be hard-pressed to free up enough money to make a serious run at a costly talent like Lowry — unless James, Wade and Bosh all are convinced he’s the critical piece that will put them back into championship contention.

Called it.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

NBA Rumors: T-Wolves Talking To ‘Several Teams’ About Kevin Love Trade
The Kevin Love sweepstakes are in full swing with many teams around the league sending their best trade offers to the Minnesota Timberwolves in an effort to land the superstar forward.

Although reports of a potentially imminent blockbuster trade with the Golden State Warriors began to circulate on Thursday, Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski maintains that several teams are still pursuing the three-time All-Star:

As of right now, it seems as though the Warriors have the edge in trade talks with the Timberwolves. The current deal being discussed involves Golden State sending Klay Thompson, David Lee, and future first-round draft pick to Minnesota in exchange for Love and Kevin Martin.

Other players have been mentioned as potentially being involved in the deal are J.J. Barea, Harrison Barnes, and possibly even the 13th overall pick in this year’s NBA draft.

Although Oakland may be where Love ultimately lands, many other teams will be looking to best the Warriors’ offer. The Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, Sacramento Kings and Los Angeles Lakers have all been rumored to show interest in acquiring Love, but the only trade package being talked about thus far is coming from Golden State.

A few weeks ago, rumors began to circulate about the Timberwolves possibly trading Love on or before draft day on June 26. It remains to be seen if a deal gets done before the draft, but trade talks have escalated prompting many to believe a deal could be imminent.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Called it.
Yea....it's possible but I'll take his backup, Washington's pair(Trevor and Gortat)and the draft pick...

Then hope to meet the Spurs in the finals again!!!

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Greivis Vasquez highlights if someone don't know nothing about him...

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Forget Impact on Draft: Embiid Injury Means LeBron Isn't Going Home to Cleveland

6/20/2014 @ 9:51AM

"Source says Dan Gilbert gave up on wooing #LeBron. Perfect. Guy who never believed he'd go can't believe he'd return.
3 Comments
So the cavalry won’t be riding over the hill for the Cavaliers, dreaming of wooing LeBron James home. It just got a stress fracture in its hoof

Joel Embiid, the Kansas seven-footer who might have changed the equation enough to interest James in returning to Cleveland, has suffered a stress fracture in his foot. Coming within months of the stress fracture in Embiid’s back–even if doctors had cleared him for that one–the already leery Cavaliers will switch off him for their No. 1 pick.

Cleveland, which was already open to trading the pick if it could land a big-timer like Minnesota’s Kevin Love, will surely pursue that. If not, Duke’s NBA-ready Jabari Parker would be the likely choice over Kansas’ further-away Andrew Wiggins.

If both teams like the idea, the problem is Love’s contract which is up next summer. If he doesn’t tell the Cavs that he’ll sign an extension, they can’t take him as a one-year rental.

Not that anyone can anticipate the Cavaliers. They’re reportedly close to hiring David Blatt, the American coach of the Israeli national team, a good move if the goal is to get one of the best international people. With the availability of proven former NBA coaches–Lionel Hollins, George Karl, Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Van Gundy–it’s Looney Tunes.

Two words explain their erratic thinking: “Dan Gilbert” (or “no clue”). Still calling the shots from behind the curtain like the Wizard of Oz, he has a flair for the unexpected… and disastrous. His last coaching hire in 2013 was Mike Brown, the man he fired in 2010, and just fired again after a nightmare season with the players reportedly down on each other as well as Brown.

Not even winning the lottery and drafting No. 1 three of the last four seasons, before doing it again this time, could make the Cavs a contender. Now that Embiid’s not going to save the day, this No. 1 isn’t likely to, either.

With a healthy Embiid and the prospect of being a contender, with or without James, Kyrie Irving, the Cavs’s one great young player, figured to sign an extension. Now it remains to be seen what Kyrie will do.

[This keeps getting better and better, or, actually, worse and worse. After I posted this, a source who's familiar with the Cavaliers' thinking told me they hired Blatt, who means nothing to James--having already given up on the possibility of luring LeBron back. This would be perfect for Gilbert, who railed for years at speculation in the press that Bron might leave if he didn't think he could win a title there, which, in fact, came true. Now with a shot at winning him back this summer or next before Embiid was hurt, Gilbert throws in his hand?]

With no one else in the Class of 2014 likely to change the balance of power. The biggest impact lies in what the injury means for James.

With Embiid, Kyrie Irving and a talented, if volatile young roster, Cleveland had enough to at least try to interest James. Now, unless the Cavs land a big-time NBA player for the No. 1 pick, all they’ll have is Parker or Kansas’ Andrew Wiggins and a talented, if volatile young roster, a less appealing prospect to James, whose No. 1 question is where he can win the most titles.

With Embiid, the Cavaliers were James’ most viable alternative. Now LeBron is down to teams where he wouldn’t fit as naturally: Houston, with shot-happy James Harden and pouty-when-he-feels-slighted Dwight Howard; Chicago, whose star, Derrick Rose, hasn’t played in two seasons and pointedly refused to be involved when the Bulls wooed Bron in 2010.

With James and his people—read: high school friends—deciding whether or not to opt out, Heat President Pat Riley threw down the gauntlet in Miami Thursday, noting, “This stuff is hard, And you got to stay together, if you’ve got the guts. And you don’t find the first door and run out of it.”

The first door isn’t there any more. If it’s not party time in Miami, the skies are at least lightening.

Last edited:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Clippers' Danny Granger, Glen Davis plan to opt out of contracts

062014_GrangerBaby.jpg

Clippers forwards Danny Granger and Glen Davis have informed the team that they do not plan on opting in on their 2014-15 contracts, according to NBA officials.

Though Granger will become a free agent, there is mutual interest on both sides of him returning to the Clippers. Davis, who was poised to make $1.4 million next season, had until Tuesday to exercise his rights to opt in or out, according to the officials.

One official said Granger likes the “winning culture” the Clippers now have under Coach Doc Rivers, and that’s why Granger would like to return to the team if financial terms can be agreed upon when the free-agency periods begin on July 1 – 9:01 p.m. PDT on June 30. Granger's current contract was set to pay him $1.36 million for next season.

Davis is going to see what he can get on the free-agent market, the official said.

The 6-9 Granger, who signed as a free agent with the Clippers on Feb. 28 after securing a buyout from Philadelphia, played in 12 regular-season games with the Clippers, averaging 8.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in 16.2 minutes.

Granger missed the final nine regular-season games with the Clippers recovering from a strained left hamstring.

He played in all 13 of the Clippers’ playoff games, but Granger averaged just 2.6 points on 27.5% shooting, 22.7% from three-point range.

Granger played in just five games during the 2012-13 season with Indiana because of left knee surgery and just 29 games during the 2013-14 season with the Pacers because of a strained left calf. He was traded to the 76ers on Feb. 20.

Granger has been working out at the Clippers’ practice facility and is feeling healthy.

Davis was signed by the Clippers on Feb. 24 after he got a buyout from the Orlando Magic.

He played in 23 regular-season games with the Clippers, averaging 4.2 points and 3 rebounds in 13.4 minutes. Davis averaged 3.8 points and 2.8 rebounds over 12.2 minutes during 13 playoff games with the Clippers.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member

Andray Blatche opts out, is a free agent
a_560x375.jpg

By Mike Mazzeo | June 20, 2014 3:17:26 PM PDT
Brooklyn Nets reserve center Andray Blatche has opted out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

The announcement was made official by his agent, Andy Miller, via Twitter, on Friday.

Breaking News @drayblatche has opted out of his contract with the @BrooklynNets #TeamASM

— ASM SPORTS (@ASM_SPORTS) June 20, 2014

Blatche had told reporters on breakup day that he intended to opt out, so the move comes as no surprise.

The 27-year-old held a player option with Brooklyn for 2014-15 for just $1.4 million.

Blatche is now free to sign with any team.

The Nets have Blatche’s early Bird rights, meaning they’d be able to offer him a new deal for as much as four years, $25 million.

Blatche is due $8.4 million in amnesty payments from the Washington Wizards in 2014-15.

Blatche has been terrific coming off the bench the last two seasons for Brooklyn.

In 2013-14, he averaged 11.2 points and 5.3 rebounds, while shooting 47.6 percent from the field. Blatche did struggle in the playoffs, though, averaging just 6.4 points on 44.8 percent shooting in 14.3 minutes.

The Nets currently have four frontcourt players signed for 2014-15: Brook Lopez ($15.7 million), Kevin Garnett ($12 million), Mirza Teletovic ($3.4 million) and Mason Plumlee ($1.4 million).

Garnett could elect to retire, however, although he is currently on the books. Lopez is coming off season-ending foot and ankle surgeries.

Paul Pierce (unrestricted) and Andrei Kirilenko (player option) are free agents.

Should Garnett, Pierce and Kirilenko all decide to come back, playing time could be hard to come by, and the Nets may decide to move on, with Blatche finding greater opportunity elsewhere.