1996 was the greatest year in Hip Hop

yeahman727

Rising Star
Registered
By me just saying this alone will provoke research. I did it already. No disrespect to 88, but 96 was just as ground breaking as 88.

MENUSearch
advertisement
LIST Nov 14 2016 WRITTEN BY CIS VAN BEERS
Top 40 Hip Hop Albums 1996
CxTAfdRXAAA9VSf-1024x1024.jpg

Also read: Top 100 Hip Hop Albums Of The 1980s & Top 100 Hip Hop Albums Of The 1990s

1. De La Soul - Stakes Is High
028-1024x995-1024x995.jpg

“The instamatic focal point bringing damage to your boroughs / Be some brothers from the east with some beats that be thorough” (Stakes Is High)

Another De La Soul masterpiece. All of their first four albums are classics in their own right, this one may just be the album that is their most mature and confident effort up till then. No gimmicks, no frills, just straight up Hip Hop.

Three decades in and still going strong, De La Soul easily is one of the most consistent acts in Hip Hop ever and they are truly Hip Hop’s elite.

Top tracks: Stakes Is High | Big Brother Beat | The Bizness | Supa Emcees

2. OutKast - ATLiens
029.jpg

“In the Cadillac they call us / Went from Player’s Ball to ballers...” (Elevators)

A step up from their already awesome Southerplayalisticadillacmuzik debut album. On ATLiens OutKast shows real growth and new found maturity, resulting in an album that is simply amazing lyrically as well as musically. No skits, no filler, no bullshit – just straight up dope Hip Hop with that unique OutKast twist.

Top tracks: Elevators (Me & You) | Two Dope Boyz (In A Cadillac) | Jazzy Belle | ATLiens

3. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
041.jpg

“Lost generation, fast paced nation / World population confront their frustration / The principles of true hip-hop have been forsaken / It’s all contractual and about money makin” (What They Do)

The Roots’ best album? Hard to pick a favorite in a discography of such outstanding overall quality, but on Illadelph Halflife everything works. This is a LONG album, but there are few, if any, wasted moments. This is smooth, jazzy Hip Hop at its finest, with live instrumentation and exceptional lyricism – true brilliance from Philly’s legendary Roots crew.

Top tracks: Clones | What They Do | Concerto Of The Desperado | Section

4. Nas - It Was Written
327-1996.jpg

“I never brag how real I keep it, cause it’s the best secret…” (Take It In Blood)

Although Nas‘ debut album Illmaticinitially sold underwhelmingly, it was an overwhelming critical success. So, how to top or even equal a classic like Illmatic? An impossible task, even if It Was Written turned out to be another excellent Nas album.

Going for a more commercial-friendly sound here and there, and trying out the mafioso subgenre on some tracks, It Was Written just feels a little less tight and coherent than Illmatic did. Nas’ lyrical brilliance is still on full display, though. With It Was Written Nas cemented his status as one of the most talented, all-around skilled emcees in the game, ever. Essential Nas material.

Top tracks: The Message | I Gave You Power | Take It In Blood | If I Ruled The World

5. The Fugees - The Score
316-1996.jpg

“Ready or not, here I come, you can’t hide / Gonna find you and take it slowly ” (Ready Or Not)

A great commercial as well as critical success, The Score was a massive improvement on The Fugees‘ enjoyable but somewhat uneven Blunted On Reality debut album. The Score is a timeless and flawless masterpiece and paved the way for Lauryn Hill‘s monumental solo debut The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill.

Top tracks: How Many Mics | Ready Or Not | Cowboys | Fu-Gee-La

6. Makaveli - The Don Killuminati The Seven Day Theory
045.jpg

“To live and die in LA, where everyday we try to fatten our pockets / Us niggas hustle for the cash so it’s hard to knock it” (To Live And Die In L.A.)

Released just a few months after 2Pac’s murder, The Don Killuminati The Seven Day Theory turned out to be extremely prophetic with so many references to (his own) death it’s chilling. The albums features some of the best instrumentals Pac ever got to work with and lyrically it’s 2Pac at his harsh, yet emotional and poetic best. The last masterpiece of a young tormented genius who sadly ‘thugged’ his way to his own demise.

Top tracks: To Live And Die In L.A. | Me And My Girlfriend | Hail Mary | Hold Ya Head

7. Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
049.jpg

“Ahh, who wanna bet us that we don’t touch leathers, stack cheddars forever, live treacherous all the etceteras…” (Dead Presidents II)

Jay Z‘s first and arguably best album (along with 2001’s The Bleuprint). Because of a string of mediocre later releases and probably also because his mega-successful business dealings, Jay Z has become a love-him or hate-him kind of figure. There’s no denying the excellence of this album, though. A young, hungry and ambitious Jay Z paints a compelling picture of his life as a hustler. Masterful production, brilliant lyricism, Reasonable Doubtshows us Jay Z at his peak as the Hip Hop artist he was (and not the business mogul he would become).

Top tracks: Can’t Knock The Hustle | Dead Presidents II | Brooklyn’s Finest | Coming Of Age

8. Dr Octagon - Dr Octagonecologyst
057.jpg

“Earth people, New York and California / Earth people, I was born on Jupiter” (Earth People)

Is this Kool Keith‘s best album (outside Ultramagnetic’s debut Critical Beatdown)? In a catalogue as deep and diverse as Kool Keith’s, it may be hard to choose – but Dr. Octagonecologyst just may be his magnum opus.

An all-time underground favorite, Dr. Octagonecologyst simply is a perfect album. The production by Dan The Automater is absolutely phenomenal. Innovative, eery, spaced-out: the instrumentals provide the perfect backdrop for Kool Keith’s trademark bizarre lyrics.

Top tracks: Earth People | Blue Flowers | 3000 | Real Raw

9. 2Pac - All Eyez On Me
077.jpg

“Bury me smilin’, with G’s in my pocket / Have a party at my funeral, let every rapper rock it” (Life Goes On)

Maybe 2Pac‘s most popular album, released when he was at the peak of his fame (while alive). Packed with classic songs, showcasing 2Pac signature mix of “thug-ism” and his vulnerable, thoughtful side, All Eyez On Me surely is a landmark album.

A double-album, it may be just a little bit too long (and a little too heavy on the ‘thug’ side) for its own good, especially the second album contains a few filler tracks. Much like Biggie’s Life After Death, it probably would have been better had the best 12 tracks been released as one album – which would have made it a Top 3 record. As it is, it still is an excellent album and no doubt one the highlights of Pac’s epic career.

Top tracks: I Ain’t Mad At Cha | Picture Me Rollin | Only God Can Judge Me | Ambitionz Az A Ridah

10. Ghostface Killah - Iron Man
098.jpg

“Mercury raps is roughed then God just shown like taps / Red and white Wally’s that match, bend my baseball hat / Doing forever shit like pissing out the window on turnpikes / Robbing niggas for leathers, high swiping on dirt bikes…” (Daytona 500)

Ghostface Killah‘s solo debut and one of the strongest albums in an all around strong catalogue from Wu-Tang Clan’s most prolific member. Also part of the epic run of classic Wu-Tang solo debuts.

Top tracks: All That I Got Is You | Daytona 500 | Winter Warz | Iron Maiden

11. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
099.jpg

“Let freedom ring with a buckshot, but not just yet / First, we need to truly understand the nature of the threat…”

One of the most lyrical albums in Hip Hop ever, by one of the most underrated lyricists. Classic if only for the controversial 8-minute tour-de-force “Nature Of The Threat”.

Top tracks: Nature Of The Threat | Anything Goes | Sonset | The Evil That Men Do

12. Redman - Muddy Waters
326-1996-1.jpg

“I smoked with a lot of college students / Most of ’em wasn’t graduatin and they knew it / You know the weed slang? Yeah boy I speak it fluent…” (Whateva Man)

The third album in an incredible three-album run. After the classics Whut Thee Album and Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters may just be Redman‘s very best album.

Red’s lyrical ability is second to none. Bizarre and humorous lyrics delivered in that typical crazy Redman flow – Muddy Waters is an album that is not to be missed.

Top tracks: Whateva Man | It’s Like That | Soopaman Luva | Rollin

13. UGK - Ridin’ Dirty
335-1993-1024x1021.jpg

“I flip down the Ave., you know I’m looking tight…” (Diamonds & Wood)

After two more than solid albums, UGK drop Ridin’ Dirty – arguably their best album. Flawless production, dope rhymes, and superb flows – Pimp C & Bun B really bring their A-game on this album. UGK will always be one of the greatest acts to come from the South and Ridin’ Dirty is an album that needs to be in any Hip Hop head’s collection.

Top tracks: Diamonds & Wood | One Day | Murder | Touched

14. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
81h7CIJ1ktL._SL1500_-1024x1014.jpg

“DJ Shadow / Back again / Who is he? / Just your favorite DJ savior” (Best Foot Forward)

Simply the best instrumental Hip Hop album, ever. Timeless.

Top tracks: Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt | Midnight In A Perfect World | Changeling | Mutual Slump

15. Jeru The Damaja - Wrath Of The Math
336-1996.jpg

“It’s too strategical and mathematical / I rotate so fast that I appear invisible / I keep it chemical, but never subliminal / The force centrifugal and spiritual” (Whatever)

In an era when consciousness in Hip Hop was on its way out in favor of tales of violence and materialism, Jeru kept doing his thing. Wrath Of The Math may not be quite the classic Jeru’s debut The Sun Rises In The East was, but it is an excellent album in its own right.

Insightful and profound, Jeru is relentless in his condemnation of gangsta posturing and the pimping out of Hip Hop by the big money suits, a condemnation which turned out to be highly prophetic.

Outstanding lyricism and equally great production by DJ Premier – Wrath Of The Math is an album that is not to be forgotten.

Top tracks: One Day | Tha Bullshit | Ya Playing Yaself | Whatever

16. A Tribe Called Quest - Beats Rhymes & Life

“Phony rappers who do not write / Phony rappers who do not excite / Phony rappers, you know they type / Phony rappers, check it…” (Phoney Rappers)

After their classic debut and super classic second and third album, ATCQ returned with Beats, Rhymes & Life. A bit darker sounding than their earlier efforts, it is an excellent album by all means.

It may feel a little less like a ‘true’ Tribe album, because there are more guest appearances than in the past (the album could have done with less of guest rapper Consequence) and because a part of the production is handled by the legendary J Dilla – who brings his own distinct flavor to the table. With all that being said – Beats, Rhymes & Life still is a dope album and a worthy part of Tribe’s classic body of work.

Top tracks: Phony Rappers | Jam | Get A Hold | Wordplay

17. Keith Murray - Enigma
329-1996.jpg

“Now for next to little or nothin’ I be rippin’ up every function / With scientifical mad man consumptions / With mass productions of mass conjunctions / I display new ways of mc destruction” (The Rhyme)

Keith Murray‘s best album? You know Keith Murray is an exceptional lyricist and with Erick Sermon on the boards, the result is always going to be a banger. They both bring their A-game for Enigma. Coupled with some dope guest spots, Enigmaturns out to be a near-flawless album. A bit darker sounding than his debut, Enigma is an awesome sophomore album and definitely an underrated gem.

Top tracks: Yeah | The Rhyme | What A Feelin’ | Call My Name

18. Heltah Skeltah - Noctural
337-1996-1024x1022.jpg

“All I, seem to, think about is violence / It doesn’t matter if I’m dead sober or I’m bent / It’s strange, I’m not insane or at least I don’t think so / Or am I? You think so Doc, truthfully I don’t know…” (Therapy)

The late Sean Price‘s (then named Rock) recording debut as a half of Heltah Skeltah; Heltah Skeltah in turn being part of the legendary Boot Camp Clik collective. Dark and menacing sounds and lyrics – strictly NYC mid-nineties Hip Hop.

Maybe not as classic as the earlier albums of fellow BCC members Black Moon and Smif N Wessun, but a masterful debut nonetheless.

Top tracks: Operation Lockdown | Therapy | Da Wiggy | Clans, Posses, Crews & Clicks

19. Busta Rhymes - The Coming
339-1993-1024x1024.jpg

“Yo which motherfucker stole my flow / Eenie….meenie miney mo / Throw them type of niggas right out my window / Blast your ass hit you with a direct blow” (Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check)

After Busta Rhyme‘s breakout performance on ATCQ’s Scenario, he would soon grow too big to stay a part of Leaders Of The New School. The Coming didn’t fail to meet the high anticipation people had for Busta’s solo debut.

Admittedly, you have to be able to appreciate his outrageous style and wild lyrical flow to fully enjoy his music – but most people do, as is evident by his successes and mainstream appeal. Later in his career the quality of his output would drop off significantly, but The Coming is an excellent Busta Rhymes album and a solid second step to superstar status.

Top tracks: Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check | Flipmode Squad Meets Def Squad | Ill Vibe | Keep It Movin’

20. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
334-1993.jpg

“It’s hell on earth, whose next or gonna be first / The projects is front line and the enemy is one time / I ain’t gotta tell you / Yo, it’s right in front of your eyes” (Hell On Earth)

Mobb Deep‘s third album continues in the vein of their second one, the classic The Infamous. Relentlessly dark and gritty, with especially Prodigy at his lyrical prime, Hell On Earth is another flawlessly produced Mobb Deep hit – although the extreme tough guy lyrics and dark thematics will not appeal to everyone (even if you are willing to take it all with a grain of salt).

It lacks a super classic single, like Shook Ones from The Infamous, but Hell On Earth is no doubt one of the two best Mobb Deep albums.

Top tracks: Drop A Gem On ‘Em | Nighttime Vulture | Hell On Earth (Front Lines) | Animal Instinct

21. Poor Righteous Teachers - The New World Order
323-1996.jpg

“Take your hands off your nuts, and your lips off that blunt / Stand for something, stand erect, stand for this / You’ll fall for anything cause you don’t stand for shit / I murder slime, come wicked every time / And fill your mind with conscious rhyme” (Conscious Style)

PRT’s fourth and last album. As always, PRT comes with provocative and thought-provoking lyrics – touching on sociopolitical subjects, the stupidity of gangsta rap and much more.

Guests like KRS-One and X-Clan’s Brother J and others bring extra quality and intelligence to the table. Arguably their very best album, The New World Order is a slept on gem.

Top tracks: Conscious Style | Word Iz Life | Gods, Earths, & 85ers | Miss Ghetto

22. Real Live - The Turnaround: A Long Awaited Drama
R-268475-1346019983-8756.jpeg.jpg

“I’m usin’ mics like bangers, victims get hit / Verbal homicide, razor blades spit / It’s mad kids trapped up in the game, ain’t nothing pretty / We all on a quest to have the tightest jam in the city” (The Gimmicks)

Talk about slept on. New Jersey natives and Hip Hop veterans K-Def and Larry-O come correct with this quintessential East Coast boom bap album. With guests like Ghostface Killah and Cappadonna (among others), this album offers true Hip Hop at its finest. Don’t sleep!

Top tracks: Real Live Shit | The Gimmicks | All I Ask of You | Pop The Trunk

23. Chino XL - Here To Save You All
front.jpg

“My crew parleys while your girl braiding my braids / MC’s are afraid in so Many Different Ways!” (Many Different Ways)

Chino XL – a.k.a. King of Ill Lines & Punchlines – drops a lyrical gem with Here To Save You All. This album would have in the top 10 if the instrumentals were at the same level as the lyrical display, but unfortunately the beats fall flat at times. However, that does not take away from the fact that this is an outstanding album by one of the illest lyrical emcees EVER.

Top tracks: Feelin’ Evil Again | Kreep | Riiot! | Many Different Ways

24. Sadat X - Wild Cowboys
Wild-Cowboys.jpg

“A 21 gun salute ain’t nearly enough / For some ol’ shit this rough…” (Escape From New York)

Supremely underrated. Wild Cowboys is the debut solo album from Brand Nubian’s Sadat X, and what a solo debut it is. Sadat X has a very distinct voice and delivery, so the album may not be for everybody. But anyone who is into that jazzy kind of NYC boom bap, complemented by at times thought-provoking rhymes, could do worse than to check this album out (if you somehow missed out on it). One of the most slept on albums in 1996.

Top tracks: Escape From New York | The Lump Lump | Stages & Lights | Interview

25. M.O.P. - Firing Squad
0a81a0cd397a3f48898d8938479646a8.953x953x1.jpg

“I’m here to make moves, I never fake moves, I like to break crews / In half, put ’em on they ass if they never pay dues…” (Anticipation)

A hardcore, tag-team lyrical assault by Lil’Fame & Billy Danze. They aren’t the best emcees ever and a lot of their ‘shouted’ delivery comes out a bit muffled, but their energy and attitude are infectious – and the fact that DJ Premier provided most of the instrumentals guarantees an enjoyable listening experience. Watch out for the Mash Out Posse!

Top tracks: Firing Squad | Stick To Ya Gunz | Anticipation | Nothin 2 Lose

26. Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money
333-1996.jpg

“Here’s a tune about this honey named Renee / That I met one day / On my way back from John Jay / I’m peeping shorty as she’s walking to the train / I tap her on her shoulders / Excuse me miss, but can I get your name…” (Renee)

This four-man crew from Queensbridge (Mr. Cheeks, Freaky Tah (R.I.P.), Spigg Nice & Pretty Lou) drop a near classic with Legal Drug Money. Great lyrics mainly from Mr. Cheecks, dope East Coast beats, and the album flows just right. The album definitely has more to offer than just the legendary track Renee and is a worthy addition to anyone’s Hip Hop collection.

Top tracks: Renee | Music Makes Me High | Jeeps, Lex Coups, Bimaz, & Benz | Legal Drug Money

27. Xzibit - At The Speed Of Life
Xzibit-At-The-Speed-Of-Life.jpg

“Sometimes I wonder if it’s all worth my while / Xzibit stay versatile with million dollar lifestyle” (Paparazzi)

With At The Speed Of Life West Coast legend Xzibit drops a dope album with a definitive East Coast feel. Dark beats, creative loops and excellent lyrics and lyricism. The album could have done without the interludes, but overall this is an excellent – and underrated – debut album.

Top tracks: Paparazzi | Just Maintain | Carry The Weight | Plastic Surgery

28. Lord Finesse - The Awakening
1368648145_F.jpg

“Just give me a beat with a bass groove / I’m mad funky, ask the experts / Cause I make you bob your head until your muthafuckin neck hurt” (No Gimmicks)

Lord Finesse is master of the braggadocious rap and humorous punchlines. The Awaking is his third album and another fine effort. It’s a little too short and has not enough stand-outs to be higher on this list, but Lord Finesse is a true legend and he deserves his props.

Top tracks: True and Livin’ | Brainstorm/P.S.K. | No Gimmicks | Actual Facts

29. Bahamadia - Kollage
CS1700455-02A-BIG.jpg

“I got it hemmed – mad methods to microphone mechanism from inner city / Curriculm to cuttin edge for headz like circumcisions in yah mental…” (Rugged Ruff)

Philadelphia‘s Bahamadia has to be one of the most underrated emcees in the Hip Hop game. She has a smooth and hypnotizing style of rapping, and lyrics worth listening to. In an era where Lil Kim-like ‘explicitness’ was the marketable thing, Bahamadia’s intelligent strength and female empowerment just wasn’t as easy to ‘sell’. That’s a shame because Kollage is an excellent album.

Top tracks: Da Jawn | Spontaneity | Rugged Ruff | 3 Tha Hard Way

30. OGC - Da Storm
718BEPiJscL._SL1050_-1024x1010.jpg

“I be Starang, man I gets wicked on the flows / Iits Louieville, you know I pack the bat like so / They call me Top Dog, but better known as D.O / Motherfuckers better act like they know” (Da Storm)

A dope album from the least known members of the Boot Camp Clikfamily. No surprises here, typical New York City mid-nineties noir Hip Hop, but what it does, it does really well. Emcees Top Dog, Louieville Sluggah, and especially Starang Wondah offer tight lyrics throughout, with guest appearances by several BCC crew members to complete the BCC experience. Solid.

Top tracks: Gunn Clapp | No Fear | Hurricane Starang | Da Storm

31. E-40 - Tha Hall Of Game
tha-hall-of-game-5059d59c81350.jpg

“I think it goes, ya live by the dirt, ya die by the shovel / You can repent and come with god or you can go with devil / You can go and get a job or you can do some federal / But if I were you, I’d straighten up and do some next level” (The Story)

E-40 is one of the most prolific artists in the Hip Hop game. He garnered a strong following and legendary status, especially in his home region: the Bay Area. Tha Hall Of Game is one of his strongest albums, arguably second only to 1995‘s In A Major Way. You can love or hate his typical, unique style and slang – but you can not deny E-40 is a West Coast legend.

Top tracks: Rappers Ball | Record Haters | Million Dollar Spot | The Story

32. Geto Boys - The Resurrection
RPAL41995CD-1024x1024.jpg

“I’m from the ghetto so I’m used to that / Look on your muthafuckin map and find Texas / And see where Houston at…” (The World Is A Ghetto)

Another solid Geto Boys album, reunited in their strongest line-up: Scarface, Willie D and Bushwick Bill. Typical Geto Boys fare: hard-edged lyrics sprinkled with social commentaries. The album contains a few forgettable tracks and some unnecessary guest rappers – but overall it is totally enjoyable and a worthy addition to the Geto Boys catalogue.

Top tracks: The World Is A Ghetto | Blind Leading The Blind | First Light Of The Day | Point Of No Return

33. Westside Connection - Bow Down
COVER.jpg

“Bow down, when I come to your town / Bow down, when I’m westward bound / Bow down, cuz I ain’t a hater like you / Bow down to a nigga that’s greater than you” (Bow Down)

Hard-edged, uncompromising gangsta rap over banging beats, by some of the West Coast greats: WC, Mack 10 & Ice Cube, with especially WC taking center stage. An essential album for those who are into gangsta rap.

Top tracks: Bow Down | The Gangsta, The Killa & The Dope Dealer | King Of The Hill | All The Critics In New York

34. Ultra - Big Time
1280x1280-1024x1024.jpg

“She said, “I think you’re stupid,” I said, “You’re big and fat – I’mma have to diss you, and step up in that rectum crack” (Fat Lady)

Basically a Kool Keith solo album, with some help from rough Ultramagnetic affiliate Tim Dog. Kool Keith’s trademark weirdness (and ass-crack obsession) is in full effect here, bizarre lyrics galore. The dark and sometimes crazy beats suit the lyrics perfectly. If not for a few weaker tracks, this album would even be higher on the list. Just gotta love Kool Keith!

Top tracks: The Industry Is Wack | Super Luv | Keep It Real | Fat Lady

35. Delinquent Habits - Delinquent Habits
delinquent-habits-50164b0cd6e0f.jpg

“My shit will pump up this jam hot damn it’s the baddest / Tres Delinquentes step into the madness” (Tres Delinquentes)

Tight lyrics, dope turntable work, great production. These latin rappers from the Cypress Hill ‘family’ drop a dope debut album with Delinquent Habits. Great latin and L.A. vibes – this album hits the spot.

Top tracks: Tres Delinquentes | Lower Eastside | I’m Addicted | Good Times

36. Chuck D - Autobiography Of Mistachuc

“Some don’t know was’up / Shit iz jus fucked up / They don’t know what’s next / Generation Wreckked” (Generation Wreckked)

Chuck D‘s first solo album should have gotten more recognition than it did. Sure, with the absence of Flavor Flav’s antics and Bomb Squad’s typical noise, the Public Enemymagic is missing – but Chuck D’s powerful baritone is in full effect here and the sociopolitical lyrics are as hard hitting and intelligent as always. Much respect to Chuck D, one of Hip Hop’s elder statesmen.

Top tracks: No | Generation Wrekkked | Horizontal Heroin | Talk Show Created the Fool

37. Eminem - Infinite
320-1996-1024x1015.jpg

“My rhymin’ skills got you climbin’ hills / I travel through your mind and chill your spine like siren drills / I’m slimin’ grills of roaches with spray that disinfects ’em / Twisting necks of rappers ’til their spinal column disconnects” (Infinite)

Eminem‘s forgotten debut. While in the general public’s eye The Slim Shady LP is usually seen as Em’s debut album, in fact that one was his (multi-platinum) breakout album. Infinite was his official debut recording, and pretty much completely slept on upon its release.

It is an interesting album, however: fun and enjoyable. Although nowhere near his lyrical peak yet, Eminem’s cleverness and trademark delivery are already on (tentative) display here. The album’s production is hit-and-miss, though, generic boom bap that never really shines. Still: more than worth checking out and a must listen, at least for Eminem fans.

Top tracks: Infinite | 313 | Maxine | Never 2 Far

38. Mad Skillz - From Where???
81NtobztLvL._SL1425_-1024x1024.jpg

“My tracks pack energy like nuclear reactors / I be Mad Skillz and this be the nod factor…” (The Nod Factor)

Best known for his end of the year Rap Up’s, Mad Skillz dropped a solid album with From Where??? Mad Skillz is a dope lyricist and with production from Buckwild, J Dilla, The Beatnuts and Large Professor, you know everything’s got to be allright – and it is, even though they don’t all bring their best beats.

Unfortunately, Mad Skillz superior skills as a freestyle and punchline rapper do not always transfer well to wax, so the album can be a bit hit-and-miss. Nonetheless, From Where??? is an enjoyable album and worth a mention if only because Mad Skillz doesn’t deserve being slept on.

Top tracks: Doin Time In The Cypha | All In It | Extra Abstract Skillz | Nod Factor

39. Lil Kim - Hardcore
Lil_Kim_Hardcore_album_cover.jpg

“You wanna be this Queen B, but ya can’t be / That’s why you’re mad at me…” (Big Momma Thang)

Lil Kim definitely was a talented emcee, whether you like this album or not no doubt is up to personal preferences. Some will say her mic skills deserve lyrics that have more substance than Kim’s sexpot mafia queen type lyrics, others are perfectly happy with the hot / nasty lyrics she drops here.

Like the title says, the album is hardcore – but totally commercial at the same time. Puff Daddy was involved, so you know the controversial nature and the shock value of the lyrics are more than a little bit part of the marketing plan.

This album opened the door for a host of Lil Kim clones, most of whom didn’t do Hip Hop any favors. This album was one of the first of its nature however, and a classic in its own right, if only because of its influence and Lil Kim’s mic skills.

Top tracks: Big Momma Thang | No Time | Mafia Land | Crush On You

40. Too $hort - Gettin' It (Album Number Ten)
71BxoNYlNnL._SL1500_-1014x1024.jpg

It’s been a long time since I first got down / But I still keep makin’ these funky sounds” (Gettin’ It)

Another year, another Too Shortalbum. ‘Album Number Ten’, and supposedly his retirement album (although that idea proved to be shortlived). Gettin’ It is another competent Too Short effort, just not as strong as his previous albums. Typical Too Short subject matter: pimp & playa tales, representing Oakland to the fullest, some social commentaries – all over deep, funky basslines. No real stand-out tracks and a bit too much guests – but otherwise just fine.

Top tracks: Gettin’ It | Survivin’ The Game | That’s Why | Nasty Rhymes

Honorable Mentions
  • Nine – Cloud 9
  • Blahzay Blahzay – Blah, Blah, Blah
  • Da Bush Babees – Gravity
  • Cella Dwellas – Realms ‘n Reality
  • Heather B – Takin Mine
  • Foxy Brown – Ill Na Na
  • Eazy-E – Str8 Off Tha Streetz Of Muthaphukkin Compton
  • MC Eiht – Death Threatz
  • Snoop Doggy Dogg – Tha Doggfather
  • Ice-T – VI: Return of the Real
  • MC Ren – The Villain In Black
  • Wise Intelligent – Killin’ U for Fun
  • Grav – Down To Earth
  • Do Or Die – Picture This
  • Young Lay – Black ‘n Dangerous
  • Lil 1/2 Dead – Steel on a Mission
  • Dubee AKA Sugawolf – Dubee AKA Sugawolf
  • Blackjack – Addicted To Drama
  • Dru Down – Can You Feel Me
  • B-Legit – The Hemp Museum
  • Mac Mall – Untouchable
  • Richie Rich – Seasoned Veteran
  • Richie Rich – Half Thang
  • Facemob – The Other Side Of The Law
  • Smoothe Da Hustler – Once Upon A Time In America
  • Al Tariq – God Connections
  • Kwest Tha Madd Lad – This Is My First Album
  • Shyheim – The Lost Generation
  • Mr. Mike – Wicked Wayz

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
:lol:you lost before you started...
you've got way too many subpar albums in your list (Beats rhymes & life vs Midnight Marauders, Lord Finesse vs his work in 88 90 91, not ready for primetime Eminem, etc...)

1988 = more classic albums and singles than 96
1993 = more classic albums and singles than 96

:itsawrap:

yeahman727

Rising Star
Registered
you've got way too many subpar albums in your list (Beats rhymes & life vs Midnight Marauders, Lord Finesse vs his work in 88 90 91, not ready for primetime Eminem, etc...)

post your proof rather than your opinion? I'm trying to go blow for blow with facts not conversation

MENUSearch
advertisement
LIST Dec 18 2017 WRITTEN BY CIS VAN BEERS
Top 40 Hip Hop Songs 1996
best-hip-hop-songs-1996-1-1024x1024.jpg

The final year of Hip Hop’s Golden Age? 1996 certainly was a year of endings, with the death of 2Pac, Hip Hop’s biggest icon. Biggie’s death would soon follow – and the void Pac and Big left would give room for Puffy’s shiny suit rap, and the mass-produced generic rap from the No Limit and Cash Money rap factories that would soon start flooding the market for real. But 1996 still was an excellent year for Hip Hop, arguably one of its best years ever. A lot of classic album releases, and the singles to go along with them.

For this list, we have selected 40 of 1996’s best songs. Agree? Disagree? Disqus!

1. Bone Thugs N Harmony - Tha Crossroads

Released as a single in 1996, and in this version not appearing on their album 1995 E. 1999 Eternal album, “Tha Crossroads” is the biggest selling single and Grammy-winning song by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. This remake of the original “Crossroad” was done after the death of BTNH mentor Eazy E, which makes this timeless dedication to deceased loved ones all the more heartfelt.

2. Ghostface Killah - All That I Got Is You

In this heartbreakingly beautiful autobiographical song, Ghost tells the story of his impoverished childhood and the struggles growing up. He raps about how he grew up in a three-bedroom apartment without his father who left him at the age of six. Growing up poor he experienced hard living conditions like “Pluckin’ roaches out the cereal box. ”

The album version featured Mary J Blige, the video version regular Wu-Tang collaborator Tekitha.

“All That I Got Is You” is an absolute Hip Hop classic.

3. 2Pac - I Ain't Mad At Cha

The catchy piano laced background melody perfectly enhances Pac’s emotional lyrics on one of his biggest hits, the last one under the name 2Pac (before switching to the Makaveli moniker).

Ironically, the song was the first one to be released after his death and has 2Pac taking a trip down memory lane and making peace with some people from his past. The accompanying video has 2Pac being shot dead after leaving a hotel and entering heaven, to be received by legends as Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, and Jimi Hendrix. Prophetic indeed.

4. Nas - If I Ruled The World

One of Nas’ more radio-friendly songs. A great collaboration with Lauryn Hill and a brilliant recreation of Kurtis Blow’s old school classic, Nas paints a picture of how his version of utopia would look like. Classic track.

5. De La Soul - Stakes Is High

De La Soul’s scathing attack on what they perceived as an ongoing decline in Hip Hop music and Hip Hop Culture. As relevant – if not more relevant – today as it was twenty years ago, this track turned out to be highly prophetic and stands as one of the staples of De La Soul’s discography. De La Brilliance.

6. Outkast - Elevators (Me & You)

An Organized Noize produced musical masterpiece from OutKast‘s monumental sophomore album ATLiens, with a butter smooth bassline and both emcees’ lyrical genius on full display. Andre’s and Big Boi’s stutter-stop flows that don’t necessarily stick to the beat work perfectly, as they always do. The spacey, catchy hook ensures the mainstream appeal, but it still is Hip Hop to the core.

7. Lost Boyz - Renee

This four-man crew from Queensbridge (Mr. Cheeks, Freaky Tah (R.I.P.), Spigg Nice & Pretty Lou) drop a near classic with their debut album Legal Drug Money. Great lyrics mainly from Mr. Cheecks, dope East Coast beats, and the album flows just right. The stand-out track is the legendary “Renee”, an emotional account of a love ending tragically.

8. The Roots - What They Do

Taken from The Roots‘ classic third album Illadelph Halflife, this brilliant video (with its subtitles) shows a sense of humor perfectly matches up to the song’s message. Like De La Soul‘s 1993 “Ego Trippin’ Pt 2“, the song and the video sarcastically critique the ‘bling bling’ cliches that already started dominating Hip Hop videos back in the mid-1990’s. Classic material, with a message as relevant today as it was 20 years ago.

9. The Fugees - Ready Or Not

A great commercial as well as critical success, The Score was a massive improvement on The Fugees‘ enjoyable but somewhat uneven Blunted On Reality debut album. The Score is a timeless and flawless masterpiece and “Ready Or Not” is but one of the many outstanding tracks on the album.

10. Ras Kass - Nature Of The Threat

One of the most controversial Hip Hop songs ever? This trip through human history touches on religion, homosexuality, Afrocentrism, racism, government corruption and more – all in a stunning display of lyrical mastery by one of the most underrated emcees ever.

11. Jay Z - Brooklyn's Finest ft Notorious B.I.G.

Produced by DJ Clark Kent, Jay-Zteams up with Notorious B.I.G. to deliver a classic track. One of the many excellent songs on Jay-Z’s debut album Reasonable Doubt.

12. Xzibit - Paparazzi

The worldwide smash hit from Xzibit off his excellent – and underrated – debut album At The Speed Of Life. A timeless joint that gets radio play around the world to this day.

13. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth

As dark as it gets, the title track of Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth was written in a period when a number of people close to Prodigy and Havoc got killed / died. Mobb Deep music has always been dark and hardcore, this song is the epitome of that darkness and a fitting title track to an equally dark album.

14. Nas - I Gave You Power

This classic DJ Premier-produced cut is one of the big tracks on Nas‘ second album It Was Written. The song’s poetic lyrics are a first-person narrative from the perspective of a gun – one of the best songs in Hip Hop ever to make use of personification.

15. 2Pac - To Live And Die In L.A.

2Pac’s ode to Los Angeles. Great vibe.

16. Jeru The Damaja - Ya Playin Yaself

In an era when consciousness in Hip Hop was on its way out in favor of tales of violence and materialism, Jeru kept doing his thing. Wrath Of The Math may not be quite the classic Jeru’s debut The Sun Rises In The East was, but it is an excellent album in its own right.

Insightful and profound, Jeru is relentless in his condemnation of gangsta posturing and the pimping out of Hip Hop by the big money suits, a condemnation which turned out to be highly prophetic.

“Ya Playin Yaself” is one of the highlights of the album, with a message for gangsta posers and scantily-clad women over a dope DJ Premier beat.

17. Busta Rhymes - Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check

One of Busta Rhymes‘ biggest hits, from his debut solo album The Coming. After his break-out performance on ATCQ’s “Scenario” in 1991, this track was a solid second step towards superstar status.

18. B-Real, Coolio, Method Man, LL Cool J & Busta Rhymes - Hit Em High

From the Space Jam Soundtrack, this star-studded cut was better and more popular than the movie it was made for. Dope verses from all involved and a great Hype Williams directed video too.

19. OutKast - ATLiens

The beat, the lyrics, the hook, the vibe: perfection. The title track is just one of the many absolute gems from OutKast’s epic second album ATLiens.

20. The Roots - Clones

Just one of the highlights from arguably The Roots best overall album (and that’s saying something!), Illadelph Halflife. Black Thought, Malik B & Dice Raw come out hard on this track, representing themselves and talking about wack MCs. Straight up Hip Hop.

21. Redman - Whateva Man

“Whateva Man” is the second single released off Redman‘s third and arguably best album, Muddy Waters. Produced by Erick Sermon, so you know the production is on point too.

22. 2Pac - Hail Mary

One of the many contemplations 2Pac made of his life, this track – featuring The Outlawz – was the last single to be released from The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory Makaveli album.

23. Jay Z - Dead Presidents II

With its classic Nas sample, haunting beat and superior display of lyricism this is one of the stand-outs off Jay-Z‘s overall excellent debut album.

24. Dr Octagon - Earth People

It’s hard to do justice to the brilliance of Kool Keith‘s Dr. Octagonecologystby selecting just one track. “Earth People” is typical Kool Keith / Dr. Octagon: a spaced-out beat and some trademark bizarre lyrics. Just gotta love Kool Keith!

25. 2Pac - California Love

2Pac’s comeback single after his release from prison in 1995. Also his first single release as a part of Death Row Records. This collaboration with Dr Dre is one of his biggest hits, partly because of the Mad Max-like video.

California Love always was a hate it or love it kind of song for a lot of people, but there is no denying the timelessness of this track. Throw it up ya’ll, throw it up, throw it up!

26. Nas - The Message

No matter who the barbs in the song were directed at (2Pac? Biggie?) – this track has to be one of the most underappreciated in Nas’ vast body of work. Top notch lyricism and wordplay. The instrumental is on point too, with a dope beat and brilliant use of a famous Sting guitar riff.

27. A Tribe Called Quest - 1nce Again

A Tribe Called Quest’s fourth album Beats, Rhymes & Life couldn’t quite match the masterpiece status of Tribe’s previous efforts, but there was still plenty to enjoy. 1nce againserves as a sequel to the 1991 classic Check The Rhime, with Tip and Phife once again bouncing their rhymes of each other over a wicked bassline, complemented by a smooth hook by Tammy Lucas.

28. Ghostface Killah - Daytona 500 ft Raekwon & Cappadonna

Another amazing track from Ghostface Killah’s classic Ironmandebut album, containing a nice intro and hook by The Force MD’s and dope cameos by Raekwon and Cappadonna, with one of his best verses to date – all over a brilliant, pulsating RZA beat.

29. Mobb Deep - Animal Instinct

It was The Infamous that made Mobb Deep’s name and established them as the hardest act to come out off New York at that time. Hell On Earthmay be a little less lauded, but in fact it’s just as good (and even darker). The production is flawless and lyrically it showcases some of Havoc’s and especially Prodigy’s best work.

“Animal Instinct” is a great way to kick off the album, a typically sinister Mobb Deep track, with one of the greatest piano-laced beats ever.

30. Lord Finesse - Brainstorm P.S.K. (No Gimmicks Remix) ft. KRS-One & O.C.

For this centerpiece of his third and final (EP) album, Lord Finesserecruited the help of lyrical heavyweights KRS-One and O.C.With that kind of line-up, how could it turn out any different than straight fire?

31. Ultra - The Industry Is Wack

One of the lead tracks from Big Time, which is basically a Kool Keith solo album, with some help from rough Ultramagnetic affiliate Tim Dog. Kool Keith’s trademark weirdness (and ass-crack obsession) is in full effect on the album, bizarre lyrics galore. “The Industry Is Wack” is a more ‘normal’ type song – on which Kool Keith and Tim Dog give their opinion on the (Hip Hop) music industry and wack rappers. Raw.

32. Bahamadia - 3 The Hard Way ft K-Swift & Mecca Starr

Philadelphia‘s Bahamadia has to be one of the most underrated emcees in the Hip Hop game. She has a smooth and hypnotizing style of rapping, and lyrics worth listening to. In an era where Lil Kim-like ‘explicitness’ was the marketable thing, Bahamadia’s intelligent strength and female empowerment just wasn’t as easy to ‘sell’. That’s a shame because her debut Kollage is an excellent album, of which the DJ Premier-produced “3 The Hard Way” is one of the big tracks.

33. OutKast - Jazzy Belle

“Jazzy Belle” provides a brilliant soundscape, with some serious knowledge being dropped as well. One of the strongest tracks from ATLiens, if something like that can be said about the near flawless album that is ATLiens.

34. Geto Boys - The World Is A Ghetto

‘The World Is A Ghetto’ is one of Geto Boys more socially conscious songs. Together with ‘Still’ part of a strong opening salvo of the strong comeback album that was 1996’s The Resurrection.

35. Poor Righteous Teachers - Conscious Style ft KRS One

One of the highlights off PRT’s fourth and last album. As always, PRT comes with provocative and thought-provoking lyrics – touching on sociopolitical subjects, the stupidity of gangsta rap and much more. This track with guest emcee KRS One is typical PRT – clever and on point.

36. Keith Murray - The Rhyme

One of the best tracks of what arguably is Keith Murray‘s best album. Keith Murray is an exceptional lyricist and with Erick Sermon on the boards, the result is always going to be a banger. They both bring their A-game for Enigma. A bit darker sounding than his debut, Enigma is an awesome sophomore album and definitely an underrated one.

37. UGK - One Day

After two more than solid albums, UGK drop Ridin’ Dirty – arguably their best album. Flawless production, dope rhymes, and superb flows – Pimp C & Bun B really bring their A-game on their third album. “One Day” is but one of the smoothed out bangers, as the whole album is dope start to finish.

38. Redman - It's Like That ft K-solo

One of the many dope tracks of Redman‘s third – and arguably best – album Muddy Waters. Note the use of the classic beat from Just Ice’s “Cold Getting Dumb”.

39. The Roots - Concerto Of The Desperado

Black Thought kills it as usual on this track, casually attacking fake and wack emcees and showing the true essence of Hip Hop at the same time. Another flawless track from the monumental Illadelph Halflifealbum.

40. West Side Connection - Bow Down

Hard-edged, uncompromising gangsta rap over a banging beat, by some of the West Coast greats: WC, Mack 10 & Ice Cube.

Honorable Mentions
  • De La Soul – Big Brother Beat
  • De La Soul – Supa Emcees
  • De La Soul – Sunshine
  • De La Soul – The Bizness
  • De La Soul – Brakes
  • De La Soul – Long Island Degrees
  • OutKast – Millennium
  • OutKast – 13th Floor/Growing Old
  • OutKast – Two Dope Boyz (In A Cadillac)
  • The Roots – Section
  • Nas – Watch Dem Niggas
  • Nas – Affirmative Action
  • Nas – Take It In Blood
  • Nas – Shootouts
  • The Fugees – Fu Gee La
  • The Fugees – How Many Mics
  • The Fugees – Cowboys
  • The Fugees – Killing Me Softly
  • The Fugees – The Score
  • Ghostface Killah – Winter Warz
  • Ghostface Killah – Iron Maiden
  • Ras Kass – Anything Goes
  • Ras Kass – Sonset
  • Ras Kass – The Evil That Men Do
  • Ras Kass – Soul On Ice (Remix)
  • 2Pac – Ambitionz Of A Ridah
  • 2Pac – Picture Me Rollin
  • 2Pac – Only God Can Judge Me
  • 2Pac – Life Goes On
  • 2Pac – Against All Odds
  • 2Pac – Me And My Girlfriend
  • 2pac – Hold Ya Head
  • 2Pac – Hit Em Up
  • Jay Z – Can’t Knock The Hustle
  • Jay Z – Coming Of Age
  • Jay Z – Ain’t No Nigga
  • Redman – Supaman Luva
  • Redman – Rollin
  • Dr Octagon – Real Raw
  • Dr Octagon – 3000
  • Dr Octagon – Blue Flowers
  • Jeru The Damaja – Invasion
  • Jeru The Damaja – Whatever
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Jam
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Get A Hold
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Wordplay
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Phoney Rappers
  • Real Live – Real Live Shit
  • Real Live – The Gimmicks
  • Mobb Deep – Drop A Gem On ‘Em
  • Mobb Deep – Still Shinin’
  • Mobb Deep – G.O.D. Pt III
  • Mobb Deep – Nightime Vulture
  • Chino XL – Kreep
  • Chino XL – Feelin’ Evil Again
  • UGK – Pinky Ring
  • UGK – Murda
  • UGK – Diamonds And Wood
  • UGK – Ridin’ Dirty
  • Lil Kim – No Time
  • Lil Kim – Big Momma Thing
  • Lil Kim – Queen Bitch
  • Sadat X – Stages And Lights
  • Sadat X – The Lump Lump
  • M.O.P. – Firing Squad
  • M.O.P. – Stick To Ya Gunz
  • OGC – Da Storm
  • OGC – Hurricane Starang
  • Chuck D – No
  • Foxy Brown – I’ll Be
  • Eminem – Infinite
  • Too Short – Gettin’ It
  • E-40 – Rapper’s Ball
  • Snoop Doggy Dogg- Vapors
  • Deliquent Habits – Tres Delinquentes
  • The Geto Boys – Still
  • Master P ft Mia X – Bout It Bout It
  • Mad Skillz – The Nod Factor
  • Blahzay Blahzay – Danger
  • Heltah Skeltah – Operation Lockdown
  • Large Professor – Ijuswannachill
  • Akinyele – Put It In Your Mouth
  • Big Noyd ft Prodigy – Recognize & Realize
  • Common – The Bitch In Yoo
  • MC Lyte ft Missy Elliott – Cold Rock A Party
  • DJ Kool – Let Me Clear My Throat

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
post your proof rather than your opinion? I'm trying to go blow for blow with facts not conversation

MENUSearch
advertisement
LIST Dec 18 2017 WRITTEN BY CIS VAN BEERS
Top 40 Hip Hop Songs 1996
best-hip-hop-songs-1996-1-1024x1024.jpg

The final year of Hip Hop’s Golden Age? 1996 certainly was a year of endings, with the death of 2Pac, Hip Hop’s biggest icon. Biggie’s death would soon follow – and the void Pac and Big left would give room for Puffy’s shiny suit rap, and the mass-produced generic rap from the No Limit and Cash Money rap factories that would soon start flooding the market for real. But 1996 still was an excellent year for Hip Hop, arguably one of its best years ever. A lot of classic album releases, and the singles to go along with them.

For this list, we have selected 40 of 1996’s best songs. Agree? Disagree? Disqus!

1. Bone Thugs N Harmony - Tha Crossroads

Released as a single in 1996, and in this version not appearing on their album 1995 E. 1999 Eternal album, “Tha Crossroads” is the biggest selling single and Grammy-winning song by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. This remake of the original “Crossroad” was done after the death of BTNH mentor Eazy E, which makes this timeless dedication to deceased loved ones all the more heartfelt.

2. Ghostface Killah - All That I Got Is You

In this heartbreakingly beautiful autobiographical song, Ghost tells the story of his impoverished childhood and the struggles growing up. He raps about how he grew up in a three-bedroom apartment without his father who left him at the age of six. Growing up poor he experienced hard living conditions like “Pluckin’ roaches out the cereal box. ”

The album version featured Mary J Blige, the video version regular Wu-Tang collaborator Tekitha.

“All That I Got Is You” is an absolute Hip Hop classic.

3. 2Pac - I Ain't Mad At Cha

The catchy piano laced background melody perfectly enhances Pac’s emotional lyrics on one of his biggest hits, the last one under the name 2Pac (before switching to the Makaveli moniker).

Ironically, the song was the first one to be released after his death and has 2Pac taking a trip down memory lane and making peace with some people from his past. The accompanying video has 2Pac being shot dead after leaving a hotel and entering heaven, to be received by legends as Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, and Jimi Hendrix. Prophetic indeed.

4. Nas - If I Ruled The World

One of Nas’ more radio-friendly songs. A great collaboration with Lauryn Hill and a brilliant recreation of Kurtis Blow’s old school classic, Nas paints a picture of how his version of utopia would look like. Classic track.

5. De La Soul - Stakes Is High

De La Soul’s scathing attack on what they perceived as an ongoing decline in Hip Hop music and Hip Hop Culture. As relevant – if not more relevant – today as it was twenty years ago, this track turned out to be highly prophetic and stands as one of the staples of De La Soul’s discography. De La Brilliance.

6. Outkast - Elevators (Me & You)

An Organized Noize produced musical masterpiece from OutKast‘s monumental sophomore album ATLiens, with a butter smooth bassline and both emcees’ lyrical genius on full display. Andre’s and Big Boi’s stutter-stop flows that don’t necessarily stick to the beat work perfectly, as they always do. The spacey, catchy hook ensures the mainstream appeal, but it still is Hip Hop to the core.

7. Lost Boyz - Renee

This four-man crew from Queensbridge (Mr. Cheeks, Freaky Tah (R.I.P.), Spigg Nice & Pretty Lou) drop a near classic with their debut album Legal Drug Money. Great lyrics mainly from Mr. Cheecks, dope East Coast beats, and the album flows just right. The stand-out track is the legendary “Renee”, an emotional account of a love ending tragically.

8. The Roots - What They Do

Taken from The Roots‘ classic third album Illadelph Halflife, this brilliant video (with its subtitles) shows a sense of humor perfectly matches up to the song’s message. Like De La Soul‘s 1993 “Ego Trippin’ Pt 2“, the song and the video sarcastically critique the ‘bling bling’ cliches that already started dominating Hip Hop videos back in the mid-1990’s. Classic material, with a message as relevant today as it was 20 years ago.

9. The Fugees - Ready Or Not

A great commercial as well as critical success, The Score was a massive improvement on The Fugees‘ enjoyable but somewhat uneven Blunted On Reality debut album. The Score is a timeless and flawless masterpiece and “Ready Or Not” is but one of the many outstanding tracks on the album.

10. Ras Kass - Nature Of The Threat

One of the most controversial Hip Hop songs ever? This trip through human history touches on religion, homosexuality, Afrocentrism, racism, government corruption and more – all in a stunning display of lyrical mastery by one of the most underrated emcees ever.

11. Jay Z - Brooklyn's Finest ft Notorious B.I.G.

Produced by DJ Clark Kent, Jay-Zteams up with Notorious B.I.G. to deliver a classic track. One of the many excellent songs on Jay-Z’s debut album Reasonable Doubt.

12. Xzibit - Paparazzi

The worldwide smash hit from Xzibit off his excellent – and underrated – debut album At The Speed Of Life. A timeless joint that gets radio play around the world to this day.

13. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth

As dark as it gets, the title track of Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth was written in a period when a number of people close to Prodigy and Havoc got killed / died. Mobb Deep music has always been dark and hardcore, this song is the epitome of that darkness and a fitting title track to an equally dark album.

14. Nas - I Gave You Power

This classic DJ Premier-produced cut is one of the big tracks on Nas‘ second album It Was Written. The song’s poetic lyrics are a first-person narrative from the perspective of a gun – one of the best songs in Hip Hop ever to make use of personification.

15. 2Pac - To Live And Die In L.A.

2Pac’s ode to Los Angeles. Great vibe.

16. Jeru The Damaja - Ya Playin Yaself

“Ya Playin Yaself” is one of the highlights of the album, with a message for gangsta posers and scantily-clad women over a dope DJ Premier beat.

17. Busta Rhymes - Woo Ha!! Got You All In Check

One of Busta Rhymes‘ biggest hits, from his debut solo album The Coming. After his break-out performance on ATCQ’s “Scenario” in 1991, this track was a solid second step towards superstar status.

18. B-Real, Coolio, Method Man, LL Cool J & Busta Rhymes - Hit Em High

From the Space Jam Soundtrack, this star-studded cut was better and more popular than the movie it was made for. Dope verses from all involved and a great Hype Williams directed video too.

19. OutKast - ATLiens

The beat, the lyrics, the hook, the vibe: perfection. The title track is just one of the many absolute gems from OutKast’s epic second album ATLiens.

20. The Roots - Clones

Just one of the highlights from arguably The Roots best overall album (and that’s saying something!), Illadelph Halflife. Black Thought, Malik B & Dice Raw come out hard on this track, representing themselves and talking about wack MCs. Straight up Hip Hop.

21. Redman - Whateva Man

“Whateva Man” is the second single released off Redman‘s third and arguably best album, Muddy Waters. Produced by Erick Sermon, so you know the production is on point too.

22. 2Pac - Hail Mary

One of the many contemplations 2Pac made of his life, this track – featuring The Outlawz – was the last single to be released from The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory Makaveli album.

23. Jay Z - Dead Presidents II

With its classic Nas sample, haunting beat and superior display of lyricism this is one of the stand-outs off Jay-Z‘s overall excellent debut album.

24. Dr Octagon - Earth People

It’s hard to do justice to the brilliance of Kool Keith‘s Dr. Octagonecologystby selecting just one track. “Earth People” is typical Kool Keith / Dr. Octagon: a spaced-out beat and some trademark bizarre lyrics. Just gotta love Kool Keith!

25. 2Pac - California Love

2Pac’s comeback single after his release from prison in 1995. Also his first single release as a part of Death Row Records. This collaboration with Dr Dre is one of his biggest hits, partly because of the Mad Max-like video.

California Love always was a hate it or love it kind of song for a lot of people, but there is no denying the timelessness of this track. Throw it up ya’ll, throw it up, throw it up!

26. Nas - The Message

No matter who the barbs in the song were directed at (2Pac? Biggie?) – this track has to be one of the most underappreciated in Nas’ vast body of work. Top notch lyricism and wordplay. The instrumental is on point too, with a dope beat and brilliant use of a famous Sting guitar riff.

27. A Tribe Called Quest - 1nce Again

A Tribe Called Quest’s fourth album Beats, Rhymes & Life couldn’t quite match the masterpiece status of Tribe’s previous efforts, but there was still plenty to enjoy. 1nce againserves as a sequel to the 1991 classic Check The Rhime, with Tip and Phife once again bouncing their rhymes of each other over a wicked bassline, complemented by a smooth hook by Tammy Lucas.

28. Ghostface Killah - Daytona 500 ft Raekwon & Cappadonna

Another amazing track from Ghostface Killah’s classic Ironmandebut album, containing a nice intro and hook by The Force MD’s and dope cameos by Raekwon and Cappadonna, with one of his best verses to date – all over a brilliant, pulsating RZA beat.

29. Mobb Deep - Animal Instinct

It was The Infamous that made Mobb Deep’s name and established them as the hardest act to come out off New York at that time. Hell On Earthmay be a little less lauded, but in fact it’s just as good (and even darker). The production is flawless and lyrically it showcases some of Havoc’s and especially Prodigy’s best work.

“Animal Instinct” is a great way to kick off the album, a typically sinister Mobb Deep track, with one of the greatest piano-laced beats ever.

30. Lord Finesse - Brainstorm P.S.K. (No Gimmicks Remix) ft. KRS-One & O.C.

For this centerpiece of his third and final (EP) album, Lord Finesserecruited the help of lyrical heavyweights KRS-One and O.C.With that kind of line-up, how could it turn out any different than straight fire?

31. Ultra - The Industry Is Wack

One of the lead tracks from Big Time, which is basically a Kool Keith solo album, with some help from rough Ultramagnetic affiliate Tim Dog. Kool Keith’s trademark weirdness (and ass-crack obsession) is in full effect on the album, bizarre lyrics galore. “The Industry Is Wack” is a more ‘normal’ type song – on which Kool Keith and Tim Dog give their opinion on the (Hip Hop) music industry and wack rappers. Raw.

32. Bahamadia - 3 The Hard Way ft K-Swift & Mecca Starr

Philadelphia‘s Bahamadia has to be one of the most underrated emcees in the Hip Hop game. She has a smooth and hypnotizing style of rapping, and lyrics worth listening to. In an era where Lil Kim-like ‘explicitness’ was the marketable thing, Bahamadia’s intelligent strength and female empowerment just wasn’t as easy to ‘sell’. That’s a shame because her debut Kollage is an excellent album, of which the DJ Premier-produced “3 The Hard Way” is one of the big tracks.

33. OutKast - Jazzy Belle

“Jazzy Belle” provides a brilliant soundscape, with some serious knowledge being dropped as well. One of the strongest tracks from ATLiens, if something like that can be said about the near flawless album that is ATLiens.

34. Geto Boys - The World Is A Ghetto

‘The World Is A Ghetto’ is one of Geto Boys more socially conscious songs. Together with ‘Still’ part of a strong opening salvo of the strong comeback album that was 1996’s The Resurrection.

35. Poor Righteous Teachers - Conscious Style ft KRS One

One of the highlights off PRT’s fourth and last album. As always, PRT comes with provocative and thought-provoking lyrics – touching on sociopolitical subjects, the stupidity of gangsta rap and much more. This track with guest emcee KRS One is typical PRT – clever and on point.

36. Keith Murray - The Rhyme

One of the best tracks of what arguably is Keith Murray‘s best album. Keith Murray is an exceptional lyricist and with Erick Sermon on the boards, the result is always going to be a banger. They both bring their A-game for Enigma. A bit darker sounding than his debut, Enigma is an awesome sophomore album and definitely an underrated one.

37. UGK - One Day

After two more than solid albums, UGK drop Ridin’ Dirty – arguably their best album. Flawless production, dope rhymes, and superb flows – Pimp C & Bun B really bring their A-game on their third album. “One Day” is but one of the smoothed out bangers, as the whole album is dope start to finish.

38. Redman - It's Like That ft K-solo

One of the many dope tracks of Redman‘s third – and arguably best – album Muddy Waters. Note the use of the classic beat from Just Ice’s “Cold Getting Dumb”.

39. The Roots - Concerto Of The Desperado

Black Thought kills it as usual on this track, casually attacking fake and wack emcees and showing the true essence of Hip Hop at the same time. Another flawless track from the monumental Illadelph Halflifealbum.

40. West Side Connection - Bow Down

Hard-edged, uncompromising gangsta rap over a banging beat, by some of the West Coast greats: WC, Mack 10 & Ice Cube.

Honorable Mentions
  • De La Soul – Big Brother Beat
  • De La Soul – Supa Emcees
  • De La Soul – Sunshine
  • De La Soul – The Bizness
  • De La Soul – Brakes
  • De La Soul – Long Island Degrees
  • OutKast – Millennium
  • OutKast – 13th Floor/Growing Old
  • OutKast – Two Dope Boyz (In A Cadillac)
  • The Roots – Section
  • Nas – Watch Dem Niggas
  • Nas – Affirmative Action
  • Nas – Take It In Blood
  • Nas – Shootouts
  • The Fugees – Fu Gee La
  • The Fugees – How Many Mics
  • The Fugees – Cowboys
  • The Fugees – Killing Me Softly
  • The Fugees – The Score
  • Ghostface Killah – Winter Warz
  • Ghostface Killah – Iron Maiden
  • Ras Kass – Anything Goes
  • Ras Kass – Sonset
  • Ras Kass – The Evil That Men Do
  • Ras Kass – Soul On Ice (Remix)
  • 2Pac – Ambitionz Of A Ridah
  • 2Pac – Picture Me Rollin
  • 2Pac – Only God Can Judge Me
  • 2Pac – Life Goes On
  • 2Pac – Against All Odds
  • 2Pac – Me And My Girlfriend
  • 2pac – Hold Ya Head
  • 2Pac – Hit Em Up
  • Jay Z – Can’t Knock The Hustle
  • Jay Z – Coming Of Age
  • Jay Z – Ain’t No Nigga
  • Redman – Supaman Luva
  • Redman – Rollin
  • Dr Octagon – Real Raw
  • Dr Octagon – 3000
  • Dr Octagon – Blue Flowers
  • Jeru The Damaja – Invasion
  • Jeru The Damaja – Whatever
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Jam
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Get A Hold
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Wordplay
  • A Tribe Called Quest – Phoney Rappers
  • Real Live – Real Live Shit
  • Real Live – The Gimmicks
  • Mobb Deep – Drop A Gem On ‘Em
  • Mobb Deep – Still Shinin’
  • Mobb Deep – G.O.D. Pt III
  • Mobb Deep – Nightime Vulture
  • Chino XL – Kreep
  • Chino XL – Feelin’ Evil Again
  • UGK – Pinky Ring
  • UGK – Murda
  • UGK – Diamonds And Wood
  • UGK – Ridin’ Dirty
  • Lil Kim – No Time
  • Lil Kim – Big Momma Thing
  • Lil Kim – Queen Bitch
  • Sadat X – Stages And Lights
  • Sadat X – The Lump Lump
  • M.O.P. – Firing Squad
  • M.O.P. – Stick To Ya Gunz
  • OGC – Da Storm
  • OGC – Hurricane Starang
  • Chuck D – No
  • Foxy Brown – I’ll Be
  • Eminem – Infinite
  • Too Short – Gettin’ It
  • E-40 – Rapper’s Ball
  • Snoop Doggy Dogg- Vapors
  • Deliquent Habits – Tres Delinquentes
  • The Geto Boys – Still
  • Master P ft Mia X – Bout It Bout It
  • Mad Skillz – The Nod Factor
  • Blahzay Blahzay – Danger
  • Heltah Skeltah – Operation Lockdown
  • Large Professor – Ijuswannachill
  • Akinyele – Put It In Your Mouth
  • Big Noyd ft Prodigy – Recognize & Realize
  • Common – The Bitch In Yoo
  • MC Lyte ft Missy Elliott – Cold Rock A Party
  • DJ Kool – Let Me Clear My Throat
WRITTEN BY CIS VAN BEERS
HHGA founder. Hip Hop historian. Avid reader. Proud dad. Marketing guy. Top 5 Golden Age MCs: Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS One, Chuck D, Nas…

Join the discussion
RELATED
LIST
Top 40 Hip Hop Songs 1993

LIST
Top 40 Hip Hop Songs 1994

LIST
Top 40 Hip Hop Songs 1995

HHGA
ABOUT
CONNECT
GET ON THE LIST

Enter your email address to subscribe to our newsletter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_in_hip_hop_music

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_in_hip_hop_music

you know our music and culture or you don't... whoever wrote what you are posting was trolling or just visiting....

yeahman727

Rising Star
Registered
the list for 93 includes R&B (thats not rap) and a fuckin Shaq album. All Eyez and It was Written shits on half if 1993 alone brah. And we can make a poll in a separate thread.

88 Just dont have the sheer number BUT I respect 88's historical weight way more than 93.

96 is fucking overwhelming. I mean you got 2 albums that 1 dam near 20x platinum in the US ALONE from 96 (one of albums when 18x world wide (you wouldn't even guess)

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
the list for 93 includes R&B (thats not rap) and a fuckin Shaq album. All Eyez and It was Written shits on half if 1993 alone brah. And we can make a poll in a separate thread.
like I said - either you know the culture or you don't...

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
This thread makes me sad because I miss 90s Hip-Hop:(. Hell I miss 90s R&B. The last great decade for black American music. Yes good music was still made after the 90s but the takeover of local radio around that time by the feds(fuck you Bill Clinton:angry::curse:)killed the local DJ and took the power of radio away from the streets to the corporate payolla heaurs. At one time every region of the country had their own flavor, now the whole country black radio sounds the same. All I can do is reminiscence.

wise

2009 & 2010 POY!!!
Certified Pussy Poster
I ALWAYS say 96 was the best year!! I counted at least 20 of those albums i bought!

93 was dope but a lot of those same artists dropped better albums in 96 2Pac. Mobb Deep. De La Soul. The Roots

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

Nigga had Chino XL up there I stopped reading after that :lol:

godofwine

Supreme Porn Poster - Ret
BGOL Investor
Outkast ATLiens was my shit. Shit don't get no colder than this...

Now, my oral illustration be like clitoral stimulation
To the female gender, ain't nothing better
Let me know when it's wet enough to enter
If not I'll wait, because the future of the world depends on
If or if not the child we raise gon' have that nigga syndrome
Or will it know to beat the odds regardless of the skin tone?
Or will it feel that if we tune it, it just might get picked on?
Or will it give a fuck about what others say and get gone?
They alienate-us cause we different keep your hands to the sky
Like Sounds of Blackness when I practice what I preach ain't no lie
I'll be the baker and the maker of the piece of my pie
Now breaker, breaker 10-4 can I get some reply?
Now everybody say

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This thread makes me sad because I miss 90s Hip-Hop:(. Hell I miss 90s R&B. The last great decade for black American music. Yes good music was still made after the 90s but the takeover of local radio around that time by the feds(fuck you Bill Clinton:angry::curse:)killed the local DJ and took the power of radio away from the streets to the corporate payolla heaurs. At one time every region of the country had their own flavor, now the whole country black radio sounds the same. All I can do is reminiscence.
Check out an artist by the name of Caleborate...sounds like no radio that I have heard in this new millenium.

Now everybody say
Preach, N!gga, PREACH!

Dre flat lined on that one...and many more after that.

Last edited:

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Now everybody say
Preach, N!gga, PREACH!

Dre flat lined on that one...and many more after that.

godofwine

Supreme Porn Poster - Ret
BGOL Investor
You ain't lying. Every Section of the country had their own flavor. When I was in the Navy between 95 and 99, people thought just because I was from Cleveland I knew all the words to Bone Thugs songs, and all I did was make up words like y'all did cuz I didn't know that shit either unless I listened to it a hundred times

TheyCallMeBe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I always thought De La Soul was overrated. Give me vintage Pac, Nas, and Hov to start off my 96 list

wtfrulookinat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Cats are gonna have their opinions, but 88…much better than 96 in my opinion...that whole 85-88 era was the shit...thats when cats really started rhyming their asses off