‘New York Undercover’ Reboot Eyed By ABC

Would you watch a New York Undercover reboot?

• Yeah. A modern take could be cool.

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Nah. Don't mess with the classics.

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Who fucking cares?

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
‘New York Undercover’ Reboot From Ayanna Floyd Davis & Dick Wolf Nears Peacock Series Commitment

NBCUniversal’s streaming platform Peacock is in negotiations for a new incarnation of New York Undercover, which is expected to receive a series commitment, we have learned. It hails from former The Chi showrunner Ayanna Floyd Davis, Dick Wolf and Universal Television where the company is based.

Written by Floyd Davis, the new series is described as re-examination of the original, reflecting the current times. It is picking up 20 years after the end of the original series that changed the face of TV cop dramas.

Floyd, who will serve as showrunner, executive produces with Wolf Entertainment’s Wolf, Peter Jankowski and Arthur Forney. Uni TV, part of Universal Studio Group, produces in association with Wolf Entertainment.https://deadline.com/2020/12/peacock-extends-order-the-amber-ruffin-show-1234653420/

The original 1994 series, which aired for four seasons on Fox, starred Malik Yoba and Michael DeLorenzo as undercover detectives, marking the first police drama on U.S. television to feature two people of color in the lead roles.

Wolf and Uni TV originally developed an updated take on New York Undercover during the 2018-19 broadcast development season. That iteration, from writer Ben Watkins, went to pilot at ABC. It served as a sequel to the original series, with Yoba reprising his role as J.C. Williams, joined by fellow original cast member Luna Lauren Velez, who reprised her role as Nina Moreno.

The Floyd Davis-penned reimagining is still in very early stages, we hear, and it is unclear yet whether it would feature characters from the original series.

When ABC opted not to pick up NY Undercover to series, the pilot was shopped around by Uni TV. The studio and Wolf remained high on the title, leading to the new reboot with a new creative take.

This past summer, ahead of the launch of Peacock, Bill McGoldrick, president of Original Content at NBCU Entertainment Networks and Direct-to-Consumer, told Deadline that they were in conversations with Wolf about doing original series for the streaming service and admitted that they had been “talking about revisiting IP.” As Deadline reported at the time, New York Undercover was considered a lead reboot contender in the Wolf library.
On Peacock, the new NY Undercover would join the majority of Dick Wolf’s library, including the Law & Order and Chicago franchises, which the streamer landed in a mega deal earlier this year. It also falls under the massive five-year overall deal spanning broadcast and streaming that Wolf signed with Universal Television.

Revivals/reboots of shows from the Peacock library to compliment the original episodes is a key part of Peacock’s programming strategy. The streamer has new incarnations of Battlestar Galactica, Saved By the Bell and Punky Brewster in the works.
Floyd Davis served as executive producer/showrunner on the Lena Waithe-created Showtime series The Chi. She also served as co-executive producer on Empire, Falling Skies, Hannibal and Hit the Floor and did a stint on Private Practice. She is repped by ICM Partners, Rain Management and Paul Hastings.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Show was a product of its time. It would only work if they keep it multicultural, which was one of the biggest aspects of the OG.

Doubt they could make it work today though. Broadcast Network TV show writers are lazier and don't take as many chances and writers of yesteryear.

It might work on FX or another cable Network, but regular over the air ABC Broadcast? Nah, it will be formulaic.
Good points. They need to make it edgy. ABC's done this before with NYPD Blue so it's not out of the question. We'll see who they go with.

XwLnIS.jpg

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Hard to recreate that 90s feel. That grimey, rugged raw feel...Nah. Although, ABC kept it grimey with American Crime directed by John Ridley ( such a good and underrated show), I haven't seen anything similar from NBC (didn't watch NYPD Blue as a kid).

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NY in the 90s was different . A lot different .
Gang activity and size has increased since the show.. rise in fraud, prostitution, pimping.. the underground world.. than you got the foreigners, human trafficking, their mafia, their illegal circulation of money.. you could make a lot of shows with modern nyc times

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought of a reboot casting for the show back in 2016

5093070.jpg

Detective J.C. Williams and Michael DeLorenzo as Detective Eddie Torres, two undercover detectives in New York City's Fourth Precinct who were assigned to investigate various crimes and gang-related cases.

NEW YORK UNDERCOVER (2016)

DET. J.C. WILLIAMS
tumblr_inline_ntmgi7IBHI1syayy6_400.jpg

LANCE GROSS

DET. EDDIE TORRES
8_gonzalez.jpg

RICK GONZALEZ

DET. NINA MORENO
dania.jpg

DANIA RAMIREZ

LT. COOPER
leah-remini-appears-on-extra_4816619.jpg

LEAH REMINI

if shes not available then...

31st+Annual+FGI+Night+Of+Stars+Smqq4SJBOUTl.jpg

DEBI MAZAR

NATALIE - OWNER OF COP BAR/NIGHT CLUB NATALIE'S
faedc6d795a5ccbd9987c58f63e58d13.jpg

TONI BRAXTON

if not available

mary-j-blige-at-2015-tribeca-film-festival-the-london-sessions-premiere-bryan-bedder-getty-images.jpg

MARY J. BLIGE

DANNY "DANNY-UP" CORT - RECURRING BAD GUY (my favorite on the show)

A chemistry wiz, Cort was a rising drug kingpin until being apprehended by detectives from the Fourth Precinct. After J.C. Williams killed his brother in a police shootout, Cort retaliated by murdering J.C.'s pregnant fiancée Sandy Gill, igniting a bitter feud between the two men.

originally played by Ice-T
images

2016 version -
23ASAP-blog427.jpg

ASAP ROCKY

In the original series he only lasted in the first 2 seasons and got killed..in this version he'd have a longer run thru out the series. A villain they just keep missing at the last second or on technicalities..around middle seasons they temporarily albeit reluctantly team up to get a common enemy who is even more dangerous than Danny then in the series finale they finally arrest him.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
If it was another era, like the early 2000's I would be all for it, but now Hell NAW.

All we would get is a bunch of cops in skinny jeans, tight v-neck t-shirts with purple dreads.

Oh and you know they will be throwing in a gay character that has to have a sex scene every episode even if it doesn't fit into the plot.

Black, female lead and gay. Law and Order Organized Crime pt II

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its so much shit in NY Undercover that you take for granted....the music was incredible...90's NY backdrop was incredible.....cast of color......
Yep, I was in NYC during that time and a lot of the appeal was the NY backdrop, as you mentioned. I think Natalie's was a standin for Nell's on 14th St.

That's why I enjoy Raising Kanan, it captures the feel of early 90s NYC in such a way that it could have been made during that period.

Duece

This profile is now managed by A.I.
BGOL Investor
The show is a certified classic, is it flawed yes, but no show is perfect.

It just got released on Amazon Prime and Peacock last summer, about 85% of the music was present, I'm hoping at some point in the future they release the series with ALL of the music intact.

It's too late for a reboot or continuation, let the show stand on its own.

Duece

BGOL Investor
How about they just be original and create a new show instead of rebooting old franchises? :confused:

The reason the rebooting issue keeps recurring with New York Undercover is because the final scene of Season 3 and all of Season 4 leaves a bad taste in people's lives and people really want some type of closure, including me.

But the show is 30 years old, it's been off the air for 25 years, and they'll fuck around and have a dud like Many Saints of Newark if they fuck it up, especially when you consider that essential elements of the show such as 1990s New York and 1990s Hip Hop and R&B are long gone now.

Streaming does open up possibilities though Power Rangers: Once and Always was a TV Movie to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Power Rangers, it did everything right and respectfully paid tribute to Thuy Trang (including giving closure to her Trini Kwan/Yellow Ranger character) and Jason David Frank and was well received.

There might be a way to do this to give the fans closure and to properly say goodbye to Williams, Torres, and Moreno.

(ETA) otherwise your comments about Hollywood constantly rebooting shit is valid

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The reason the rebooting issue keeps recurring with New York Undercover is because the final scene of Season 3 and all of Season 4 leaves a bad taste in people's lives and people really want some type of closure, including me.

But the show is 30 years old, it's been off the air for 25 years, and they'll fuck around and have a dud like Many Saints of Newark if they fuck it up, especially when you consider that essentially elements of the show such is 1990s New York and 1990s Hip Hop and R&B are long gone now.

Streaming does open up possibilities though Power Rangers: Once and Always was a TV Movie to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Power Rangers, it did everything right and respectfully paid tribute to Thuy Trang (including giving closure to her Trini Kwan/Yellow Ranger character) and Jason David Frank and was well received.

There might be a way to do this to give the fans closure and to properly say goodbye to Williams, Torres, and Moreno.

(ETA) otherwise your comments about Hollywood constantly rebooting shit is valid

Thank you for the breakdown and the reasoning.

Duece

BGOL Investor
One thing that angers me is that the Law & Order franchises are known for longevity. The original L&O ran from 1990 to 2010 and was brought back in 2022. SVU has been on for 25 years.

Can you picture NYU going for 20 years from 1994 to 2014?

ugk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was interested in this until Malik Yoba went on the Breakfast Club and made an ass of himself. Nah not interested.. can only imagine what kind of wild fuckery they would pull with the new series.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I was interested in this until Malik Yoba went on the Breakfast Club and made an ass of himself. Nah not interested.. can only imagine what kind of wild fuckery they would pull with the new series.
What did he say?