‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler briefly detained and handcuffed Was Mistaken for a Bank Robber: Update Full Interview with Teller Erica Glass

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler Was Mistaken for a Bank Robber: ‘This Situation Should Never Have Happened’

Ryan-Coogler.jpg

Black Panther” director Ryan Coogler was briefly detained by police in Atlanta in January after he was mistaken for a bank robber at a Bank of America, according to a police report filed Wednesday.

The director confirmed the incident to Variety. “This situation should never have happened,” he said. “However, Bank of America worked with me and addressed it to my satisfaction and we have moved on.”

Coogler was detained and handcuffed after he went to Bank of America to make a transaction on Jan. 7, according to the Atlanta police report.
The 35-year-old director — who was wearing a hat, sunglasses and a COVID face mask — went to the counter and handed the bank teller a withdrawal slip with a note written on the back that reportedly read, “I would like to withdraw $12,000 cash from my checking account. Please do the money count somewhere else. I’d like to be discreet.”

The teller, however, misinterpreted the situation as an attempted robbery when the amount of the transaction exceeded $10,000 and triggered an alert notification from Coogler’s bank account. The teller then informed her boss that she suspected it was a robbery attempt and together they called the police. Four Atlanta PD officers arrived at the scene and detained two of Coogler’s colleagues, who were waiting for him outside the bank in a car with the engine running. They informed the officers who Coogler was and what he was wearing, which matched the description of the man suspected of robbing the bank. Coogler’s colleagues were detained in the back of a police vehicle, and Coogler was handcuffed and taken out of the bank by two of the officers. After verifying Coogler’s identity and his Bank of America account, the officers released him and his colleagues.

A Bank of America spokesperson told Variety: “We deeply regret that this incident occurred. It never should have happened and we have apologized to Mr. Coogler.”

Coogler has been filming the sequel to the superhero tentpole, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” in Atlanta. The film is set for release in November.

Ever since the renewed Black Lives Matter movement in 2020 following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis at the hands of police, there has been heightened scrutiny of incidents of racism across myriad industries — and a laser focus on racism in Hollywood. The movement has also emboldened more Black people and people of color in the industry to speak out about their experiences, as discussed in a roundtable hosted by Variety.

Full Interview with Teller Erica Glass - Raw Body Cam Video of Ryan Coogler Bank of America Incident

Last edited:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They in ATL and with all of the scam shit going on that note attached being "discreet" is going to have em raising a lot of red flags.But they could of handled it in a different manner as far as handcuffs and shit cause if he was up to no good he would of booked it as soon as she hesitated.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
I worked for Bank of America during college.
This scenario does seem suspicious and raises red flags

but before calling the police
Did she ask for his debit card and ID to confirm his identity and pull up his checking account?

Should’ve been escalated to manager before calling authorities

I’ve treated like shit in the past having to present my I’d and debit for large cash transactions but it’s better than calling the police. This could’ve gone very wrong

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I worked for Bank of America during college.
This scenario does seem suspicious and raises red flags

but before calling the police
Did she ask for his debit card and ID to confirm his identity and pull up his checking account?

Should’ve been escalated to manager before calling authorities

I’ve treated like shit in the past having to present my I’d and debit for large cash transactions but it’s better than calling the police. This could’ve gone very wrong
Let's see, you can verify your:
1. Account number
2. Photo Id
3. Social Security number
4. Mother's maiden name
5. Signature
6. Your Address on the account
7. Date of birth

Did I miss any other means to confirm his identity?

Last edited:

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Bruh, people are fucking stupid.
People are, however, I’m not going to be too harsh on the teller for not completely reading a handwritten note given to her by a man in glasses and mask at a bank asking for a withdrawal of $12K and to be discreet about it. A lot of us are guilty of not reading into everything. Ol girl probably saw the note, the mask, the dollar amount and the “let’s be discreet” comment and it triggered her bank robbery Spidey sense. She probably never even read the whole part about his bank account.

He definitely should sue, though, I would.

saundman

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
........who was wearing a hat, sunglasses and a COVID face mask .......

Pre-COVID, most banks required you to take off your hat and sun glasses at the door when entering. To get your picture/video.

I can understand keeping the mask on but handing a note to the teller regardless what is on it..... Sounds like the beginning of a movie to me.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
People are, however, I’m not going to be too harsh on the teller for not completely reading a handwritten note given to her by a man in glasses and mask at a bank asking for a withdrawal of $12K and to be discreet about it. A lot of us are guilty of not reading into everything. Ol girl probably saw the note, the mask, the dollar amount and the “let’s be discreet” comment and it triggered her bank robbery Spidey sense. She probably never even read the whole part about his bank account.

He definitely should sue, though, I would.
You just described a stupid person.

KoolJay

Vidi Veni Vici
BGOL Investor
that's some BULL!!!! Who in da hell robs a bank for $12k... this is some BULL!!!!! I wonder how they felt after knowing it was the Director of BP.. that was a Black cop that pulled out his gun.....