The Impact of Black Fatherlessness on Black Children

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The Impact of Black Fatherlessness on Black Children​

Anthony Browder
Dec 17, 2025





I was six months into my marriage when I knew I’d made a mistake.

It was 1980. I was 30 years old and didn’t have the courage to admit that I had made a mistake. Perhaps because I was ashamed of disappointing my family or afraid of what my community would think. So, I stuck it out and hoped that things would get better. But things got worse and the relationship grew more complicated.

Things really got complicated when my wife became pregnant. Then I couldn’t leave. I convinced myself that having a baby and creating a family would make our relationship stronger. The baby came (my wonderful daughter Atlantis) but things continued to worsen and I had to make a decision – stay and become someone I couldn’t live with or leave and save my soul.

I chose to leave. We separated after four years of marriage.

But before I tell you how that story ends, let me tell you how it began, some 35 years earlier.


Why Did My Father Leave?

My mother was 15 when she was pregnant with me and 16 when I was born. I spent my early childhood in her parents’ house where my grandparents raised both of us, in addition to their other six other children.

I was five when my mom married Harold Browder, and I was 10 when they divorced.

For the next 37 years, my father Harold Browder, was out of my life. I didn’t hear from him on my birthday or any special occasion. In fact, the only time we talked was when I was an adult and reached out to him. His absence in my life left a gaping hole in my heart and impacted me in ways I never fully understood until I was much older.

I was 47 years old when my mother’s two younger sisters told me the “family secret.” They informed me that Harold Browder was not my biological father. They said that my father was a man named Willie Dixon who left Chicago four months after I was born and was never heard from again.

The revelation was shocking, yes. But it lifted a weight off my heart because I finally understood why my “father” disappeared after he and my mom divorced.

I wasn’t his.

For 47 years, I carried the shame of being fatherless and was blaming the wrong man for abandoning me.

Not only did my aunts’ confession soothe my broken heart, but they also brought a smile to my face when they showed me a photograph of my 19-year-old father. Damn if I didn’t look just like him.

Of course, when I confronted my mother about the family secret, she blew me off and said, “I thought you knew.” When I pressed her for more details about my father she broke down and said that he was a heroin addict when he left Chicago and returned home to Florida in 1951.

Growing up on the West Side of Chicago I knew that heroin addicts had a short lifespan so I gave up any hope of ever seeing my real father. Little did I know what fate had in store for me 25 years later.

Meeting My Father at 72

I was 72 years old when I first talked with my biological father. It was Sunday afternoon, April 16th, 2023. While speaking with my father, he told me that he had been a functioning heroin addict for over two decades while he taught music in the local high school. He had gone to prison twice and finally found religion, became a pastor and got married after getting out of prison in 1979.

Then came the shocking news, my dad informed me that I was the eldest of his nine children, two of whom were deceased. My dad had nine children with six different women.

So yeah, my father was a Rolling Stone, but he turned his life around. He was now a respected member of his community. He created a non-profit organization helping “returning citizens’ find affordable housing, and he had written a book about his life.

As I acquainted my father to my livelihood, we discovered that we shared many of the same traits, and I realized that while I spent most of my life looking for my father–he was living in me all along. The most startling revelation that day was that I woke up that morning an only child and went to bed that evening knowing that I had five younger sisters and one brother.

A month later, my daughter Atlantis and I travelled to Tampa, Florida to meet my dad, siblings and extended family. It was a wonderful gathering, we were warmly received, and it truly an unforgettable weekend. My only regret was that my mother wasn’t alive to witness this reunion.

After meeting my biological father, I finally understood the choice I’d made 50 years earlier, when I met a young single mother working herself to exhaustion trying to raise an eight year old son.



Why I Married Her

When I met the woman I would marry, Atlantis’s mother, she was a single parent. She’d had a child when she was 16 years old. I was a supervisor at an art studio, and she was one of the part-time employees.

I admired her dedication to her son. I admired her willingness to work a full-time job and a part-time job so she could take care of her child. And as I’m watching her interaction with her son, I saw myself in that boy.

I saw her in the same place my mother had been, a young parent working tirelessly to provide for herself and her young child.

I now realize that the primary reason I married was because I felt the need to be the father to a child who never knew his dad. In other words, I chose to become the father that I never had.

To be truthful, I admired my wife, but I wasn’t really in love her. I told myself I could grow to love her and I was willing to make an investment in creating the life I wished I had as a child.

That’s how unresolved fatherhood issues played out in my life. I made emotional decisions without understanding what was driving my emotions.

When Reality Set In

About six months into the marriage, I knew I had made a mistake.

The woman I married wasn’t the woman I knew I could live the rest of my life with. Or maybe she was exactly who she’d always been, and I’d just been too busy projecting what I wanted to see. Either way, the relationship was not working out.

I felt trapped. What would my family say if I admitted I made a mistake? How could I walk away?

So, we stayed together and things only got worse.

When my wife told me she was pregnant I knew that I couldn’t leave. I convinced myself that this baby would change everything. I hoped motherhood would change my wife for the better and we could build a meaningful relationship.

My daughter Atlantis was born.

We bought a house in a nice community with good schools, but the marriage continued to deteriorate.

I finally reached the moment where I had to choose between staying in a marriage and lose my soul, or leave, start over again and make sure that I was still in my daughter’s life.

My daughter was two years old when I moved out and I rented a house nearby. I made sure the mortgage was paid at my former residence and I took care of daycare and other expenses and saw my daughter regularly.

When the relationship bottomed out, I filed for divorce and was granted sole custody of my daughter.

I’ve been raising Atlantis as a single parent since she was four years old. November 13th, 2025, marked the 39th anniversary of that decision.

The Son I Couldn’t Save

Getting custody of my daughter meant leaving my ex-wife’s son with her.

Here I was, walking away from the very reason I’d gotten into the marriage in the first place.

I stayed in touch with my son as his home life was deteriorating and when he was 16, I invited him to live with me and his sister. But I also told him the truth: “If you stay with me, you’re going to have to abide by my rules. You’re going to have to do X, Y, and Z, and A, B, and C.”

He stayed with me for about a week, then returned to live with his mother.

He eventually wound up dropping out of high school, selling drugs and getting arrested.

When he got arrested, he called me, not his mom. I found him an attorney and he beat the charges. I offered him an opportunity to work with me and helped him get his GED. Things went well until he got his girlfriend pregnant, and he slipped back into his old ways. We stayed in touch, and I was always there to counsel him when he asked for advice.

It took a while for my son to get his life together. He fathered three children before he passed away at age 47. His mom passed away 11 years earlier at age 43.

The Blackprint I Actually Needed

I couldn’t be the father I wanted to be for my ex-wife’s son.

But I could be the father my daughter needed because I had a blackprint. And my blackprint was my mom.



My mother was a teenage single parent who showed me what a parent was supposed to do for their child. When I was in high school, my mom knew that if I attended the same high school she attended, the outcome wouldn’t be good. She knew where that path would lead.

So, in 1966, we left the west side of Chicago and moved to Oak Park, Illinois. We were the second Black family to move to Oak Park. I spent three years at Oak Park River Forest High School and was the only Black person in every class. There were only two black people in the entire school of over 3,000 students.

I did well in that environment because my mother taught me the value of persistence and getting a good education.

She not only instilled those values in me, but she also lived by them. I thrived in Oak Park because I remained connected to my Black community. Every weekend, I went back to the West Side of Chicago to hang out with my family and friends.

That connection to my community saved my life. My mother taught me that I could navigate white spaces without losing my soul. My mother modeled determination. She showed me how to make difficult choices for the long-term benefit of your child.



My mom was the first African American to work for NBC news in Chicago. She ran the newsroom within three years and hired the first Black reporters for the TV station. My mom had the ambition that her husband lacked, and that’s why she divorced him. She lived a good life and remained friends with Harold until she passed.

Harold Browder was a good man. He was kind and honest and was the only father I knew. I loved him until the day he died and grew to appreciate the five years he was in my life. He later remarried, had two children, got divorced and raised his children as a single parent.



After his passing I was informed that he left his estate to me and his two children. I gave them my share of the inheritance because they needed it more than I did. I think that’s exactly what my dad would have wanted me to do.

In the end, following my mother’s blackprint added incredible value to my life. I grafted wisdom from elders who poured into me and I made my daughter’s success my mission.

And it worked.

My daughter Atlantis is not only an outstanding member of our society and community, but also a mother herself.

And now I’m a grandfather.

As a grandfather, I find myself revisiting my childhood as I spend more time with my grandson. I’m seeing my life through different eyes now. I’m understanding why my grandfather was so strict with me, and why my mother made the choices she made.

They were planting seeds for multiple generations.

I’m committed to pouring the best of me into my grandson because I’m not going to be around here forever. But I know the parts of me that I pour into him will be around for multiple generations.

When he’s an old man telling his grandchildren stories, he’ll be telling my stories and teaching his children the values I taught him, which are the same values my mother taught me.

And that’s how one generation’s wounds become the next generation’s wisdom.

If there is a moral to this story it’s this:

· Don’t keep secrets

· Follow your instincts

· If you make a mistake, own it, then move on

· If you bring children into the world, you have a responsibility to love them

· What we give our children sustains future generations

Thanks for reading,

Anthony Browder

If you’d like to hear more about a discussion of Black single dads, check out this interview at:
 
During the 60's blacks were calling each other brothers and sisters as thou we were all one black family. They got rid of that by flooding the black communities with dope. All the programming is to keep anyone from being natural and successful. They have studied how certain things act and react in our bodies. We might not know how they act and react but they do and program from what they find out.
The study in Jonestown was based on a world created by a white man. If we were born in an artificial world and not know it, we can be right and still be wrong because the real goal is to escape the artificial world.
HELP-WANTED.jpg
 
His situation is the exception and not the rule.

The vast majority of fatherless children are not from relationships that went went sour but from 1 dude sleeping with several women.

Checkout Medium Man. He debunks so much shit.


listen the hood im in all the lil'y'n play boi's be telling me how most of the young bitches in the hood are all fighting over them and they
are playing rock,,paper,,siscors on who they are getting pregnant next..they all have kids rite here in the hood already that they dont take
care of and the other women openly know that,,them bitches just dont care they want just them few yn's and nothing else...
 
The problem is you can't stop educated Black women from craving and sharing thug dicks with the welfare bitches they think they are betgwe than solve that you elevate Black people in one genration.
 
You must have a horse in this race! What sucks is that so many people who are spoon fed their opinions rather than cerebrally creating them based on intelligent observation, have the notion that the breakdown of the family unit is all the fault of fathers. In the animal kingdom, rarely does the female animal leap onto the first swinging dick that comes along. For the betterment of the species, she selects her mate based on criteria. Birds pick the most colorful or spectacularly adorned male. Many mammals pick the strongest and largest male. The male that wins the fight, head ramming contest or the male that exhibits superior strength in some fashion particular to that animal. Human females rarely select with any consideration concerning advancing the species. It's often, fucking the guy who dresses nice, has the shiny new car, paid my rent, bought my ass when I was broke, has a nice voice, house, hair texture or lighter skin color. Women select men based on some of the dumbest reasons imaginable. Rarely with any consideration concerning the ability or desire within the man that is focused on or directed toward child rearing. Sorry, but I don't live in a fantasy world in which women somehow miraculously avoid all the social ills that befall men. They are equally as fucked up as anybody else in my evaluation.
 
Last edited:
You must have a horse in this race! What sucks is that so many people who are spoon fed their opinions rather than cerebrally creating them based on intelligent observation, have the notion that the breakdown of the family unit is all the fault of fathers. In the animal kingdom, rarely does the female animal leap onto the first swinging dick that comes along. For the betterment of the species, she selects her mate based on criteria. Birds pick the most colorful or spectacularly adorned male. Many mammals pick the strongest and largest male. The male that wins the fight, head ramming contest or the male that exhibits superior strength in some fashion particular to that animal. Human females? Rarely select with any consideration concerning advancing the species. It's often, fucking the guy who dresses nice, has the shiny new car, paid my rent, bought my ass when I was broke, has a nice voice, house, hair texture or lighter skin color. Women select men based on some of the dumbest reasons imaginable. Rarely with any consideration concerning the ability or desire within the man that is focused on or directed toward child rearing. Sorry, but I don't live in a fantasy world in which women somehow miraculously avoid all the social ills that befall men. They are equally as fucked up as anybody else in my evaluation.
Does anyone even read the dumbass wall of texts this guy posts? Lmao
 
The problem is mate selection by black women not deadbeat black fathers.

That is a fucking lie and stop subscribing to it.


Sooooooooooooo :idea:

at NO point did this asshole consider wearing a condom OR - as HAAAARD as it is for some - to exercise dick discipline?


Don't get me wrong, I'm not letting the other 9 women off the hook. I say 9, giving grace to the second woman - but the 3rd to the 11th? If they knew about the first two........:hmm:
 
Sooooooooooooo :idea:

at NO point did this asshole consider wearing a condom OR - as HAAAARD as it is for some - to exercise dick discipline?


Don't get me wrong, I'm not letting the other 9 women off the hook. I say 9, giving grace to the second woman - but the 3rd to the 11th? If they knew about the first two........:hmm:
Even if none knew .... did they get to know they guy they fucked raw? Having any reasonable level of understanding of the person you're fucking raw should have told (all of) them who and what kind of person they were dealing with.

I'm conflicted, tho. We gotta stop putting so much trust & responsibility in women that have clearly shown themselves to be untrustworthy & irresponsible.
 
news flash tho it`s a bunch of other races this shit affect even more than us .. :hmm:

jus sayin .. i didnt read the whole thread but dam tho we always trying to make shit seem like

it`s all about black people n negative shit ...
 
news flash tho it`s a bunch of other races this shit affect even more than us .. :hmm:

jus sayin .. i didnt read the whole thread but dam tho we always trying to make shit seem like

it`s all about black people n negative shit ...

This epidemic/ crisis does affect our kids, however black fathers lead all orher ethnicities in being present and more likely to raise kids in a single father household

 
news flash tho it`s a bunch of other races this shit affect even more than us .. :hmm:

jus sayin .. i didnt read the whole thread but dam tho we always trying to make shit seem like

it`s all about black people n negative shit ...
Naw you need to read the post. He was speaking from his experiences and perspective.

First and foremost Brother Browder would never shit on black people. He devoted his whole life to uplifting black people. I’ve posted several threads on BGOL that barely get read of some his work. His teachers range from Asa Hillard, Ivan Van Sertima, and etc.








 
Even if none knew .... did they get to know they guy they fucked raw? Having any reasonable level of understanding of the person you're fucking raw should have told (all of) them who and what kind of person they were dealing with.

I'm conflicted, tho. We gotta stop putting so much trust & responsibility in women that have clearly shown themselves to be untrustworthy & irresponsible.
Women want what they want. The problem is that “our” society was organized by sexists and instead of living life, we have to have every action viewed through this sexist and racist perspective.

Hoes are from the future. Or the past. If you pay folks a decent wage, we wouldn’t have these basic ass issues. Gender, like race, is a social construct to organize workers for the benefit of tyrants.
 
How much responsibility rests with the mothers for the poor choices they often make concerning who THEY CHOOSE to bear offspring by?
Think of it like this: many of us don't know what a real man is, and those of us who have actually seen and met one, they are few and far between in your family and your circle.

The problems with this are layered. The men have no role model that they can say I'm going to act like that when I grow up. I'm going to do this. I'm going to do that. This is how you hug your lady. This is how you treat your woman. This is how you treat your kids. This is how you treat your family.

Another side of that coin is the women don't know who to aspire to be with. They don't have any example of a good man to say That's the kind of man I want to be with. That's the kind of man I want to be the father of my children. That's the kind of man I want to grow old with.

For most of the women, they make mistakes once, twice, three times or more with the wrong men. Some of them keep on making mistakes until their 30s and 40s and on and on, still not knowing what to look for in a man because they've never seen one.

The young men now grown men don't know who they want to be. They're taught how to be men by their idiot friends or their idiot brothers or their idiot relatives, each maybe giving them a modicum of knowledge and skill that's needed to be a man but even the combined efforts of those people barely give 20%.

Desegregation ruined us. Desegregation took the success out of the hood. While segregation existed, you could have a janitor on one side of your house and a lawyer on the other. When segregation ended and those people were able to move to the suburbs, the "success"in the hood became the drug dealers and the people with a parent money and power and success.

We're all in his rat race trying to figure this shit out, most of us with the blind leading the blind wondering who the hell is going to play the dog. And then when we get a dog to lead it's the wrong goddamn dog.

White supremacy did a number on us, but we keep fighting
 
This is no excuse to leave
Fear, bro. Fear can paralyze a motherfucker. Fear can have a motherfucker standing and still not knowing what to do or say. When you don't know what to do, you run.

Problem is, whatever his reasons, if he runs the family is worse off because the kids don't have an example, good or bad. Sometimes a bad example is the best example, but of course you screw your kids and family up in the process. And sometimes running just causes the kids you left behind to use that same lie as their excuse

There is a reason to leave though, and while there's not many, there are some.

A friend of mine had a baby by crazy chick, I mean fucking nuts. One day when the sun was 2 years old, he was in the army and helping his friend start up a bar by loading supplies and beverages and shit.

His son's mother called the cops after she called him and told him to come home, and told the cops that he beat her up. The only thing that saved my friend was that he had several witnesses to say that he had been there all day.

This bitch beat herself up and was going to blame him for doing it.

He left to keep his sanity. A couple years later, his son's mother gave him to her parents and just took off. He didn't reconnect with his son for I think 10 years. By then he had another family.

Who knows what would happen if he would have tried to stay or even be in his kids life with a woman who is more than willing to send your ass to jail for for a long time on a lie that she concocted.

I feel for men who have babies bye crazy chicks, and in the same vein women who have babies by piece of shit men. We are a broken people
 
Back
Top