OH BOY! Beyonce VS Kelis!!.....no, like really, Kelis is accusing Bey of sampling her without her permission.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
I get that but you have to factor in the allure of the industry. A person is a fingersnap close to getting their dream of being a signed artist in what ever entertainment field your getting in so thats leveraged against you BUT not only that your dealing with FOMO and thats a VERY POWERFUL AND REAL THING. Throw in there poor or desperate circumstances + someone not just saying but doing things to give you the impression that theyre your friend/ally PLUS lawyers who may be working with the label/studio backdoor (conflict of interest) or just plain incompetent.

chappelle was 28 when signed his deal...its not that simple.

So what you expect is for the record companies, producers, etc....to negotiate with the artist best interest vs their own best interest? It is that simple.

george-bush-fool-me.gif

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
"In a 2020 interview with The Guardian, Kelis claimed that “she made nothing from sales of her first two albums,” suggesting that she was “blatantly lied to and tricked” by “the Neptunes and their management and their lawyers and all that stuff.”

“I was told we were going to split the whole thing 33/33/33, which we didn’t do,” she said. “Their argument is: ‘Well, you signed it.’ I’m like: ‘Yeah, I signed what I was told, and I was too young and too stupid to double-check it.’”

Kelis is not the first artist to be surprised at being sampled or interpolated on Renaissance. “Break My Soul,” the album’s lead single, contains elements of Robin S.’ “Show Me Love,” and, therefore, credits songwriters Allen George and Fred McFarlane (but not Robin S.). In an interview with Good Morning Britain, Robin S. said she had no formal contact with Beyoncé and her team ahead of the single’s release, and that she learned about the use of her music because her son told her she was “trending all over the place.”

Robin S. also thanked Beyoncé for using elements of her music: “This is Robin S, and this message goes out to the Queen Bey herself, Beyoncé, to Jay-Z, to the entire team: Thank you so much for giving me my flowers while I’m still alive. I am honored, and I’m excited to see what else can happen.”

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"In a 2020 interview with The Guardian, Kelis claimed that “she made nothing from sales of her first two albums,” suggesting that she was “blatantly lied to and tricked” by “the Neptunes and their management and their lawyers and all that stuff.”

“I was told we were going to split the whole thing 33/33/33, which we didn’t do,” she said. “Their argument is: ‘Well, you signed it.’ I’m like: ‘Yeah, I signed what I was told, and I was too young and too stupid to double-check it.’”

but she still worked with Neptunes and had them write/produce her lead single Milkshake for album #3 tho.....

Also her dad was a jazz musician, I'm sure he told her horror stories and to make sure her paperwork was right....unfortunately I know he died (2000) shortly after she got signed (1998) But still

Kelis is not the first artist to be surprised at being sampled or interpolated on Renaissance. “Break My Soul,” the album’s lead single, contains elements of Robin S.’ “Show Me Love,” and, therefore, credits songwriters Allen George and Fred McFarlane (but not Robin S.). In an interview with Good Morning Britain, Robin S. said she had no formal contact with Beyoncé and her team ahead of the single’s release, and that she learned about the use of her music because her son told her she was “trending all over the place.”

Robin S. also thanked Beyoncé for using elements of her music: “This is Robin S, and this message goes out to the Queen Bey herself, Beyoncé, to Jay-Z, to the entire team: Thank you so much for giving me my flowers while I’m still alive. I am honored, and I’m excited to see what else can happen.”

^^^^That is how you handle it when you have no legal/monetary ties to the song /sample.....

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
These are the reasons why whenever I get invited to a session, I find out if I'm recording what's been finished, or am I there to help create. If it's the latter, then that's where split sheets come in. I wasn't there, but I'll bet my last buck she threw an idea or two out there that made the cut. It sucked that while she was thinking "family & friends", they were thinking "business".

Last edited:

Varis

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Her beef is clearly with Pharrell but she starts all 3 social media post with Beyonce's name coming out of her mouth and then mention Pharrell after. If the song didn't belong to her and she knows the song doesn't belong to her then she is just attention whoring
Pharrell should stop frontin and apologize to Kelis,
for real

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She saw how the relevance of that other singer blew up because of Bey's album and now she wants some of that shine cause she been irrelevent

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
ya'll keep skipping over the part where she trusted someone who she thought was a friend and lover. Its easy to say in hindsight or outside that fog "oh you should have blah blah blah" Fucking Taylor Swift is rerecording her music as we speak and her FATHER was involved in the original deal and she's talking about how scooter braun, who she thought was a friend, fucked her over. And she wasn't even fucking him and around the same age kelis was when the deals were done..

And make no mistake Swift IS miss america...fuck whoever got the crown that bitch is miss america every year she is walking white privilege ...she's an aryan wetdream and if they fucked HER over.....they wouldn't hesitate to slit a black or brown womans throat in public!

its NOT as simple as you all are making it out to be.
This is a business, businesses don’t work in your best interest. Again, she didn’t have the right people in place and neither did Taylor swift.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is a business, businesses don’t work in your best interest. Again, she didn’t have the right people in place and neither did Taylor swift.
Actually businesses should be working to make sure both parties walk away satisfied if for nothing else but to maintain a decent reputation because youre constantly dealing with that person or people and you want to satisfactory transactions to bring in more business! What you call business is actually just flat out greed and con-man tactics. Whats really fucked up about it is that you and nearly everyone else in the world ACCEPT IT and probably even practice it thats why you're attitude about it is :dunno: And its why labels and studios and networks and just about every industry gets away with it. Because people who think like you do DON'T call that shit out when it happens. You all are GOOD WITH IT and thats a major reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.

Its not business its just FUCKING PEOPLE OVER. :smh:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Actually businesses should be working to make sure both parties walk away satisfied if for nothing else but to maintain a decent reputation because youre constantly dealing with that person or people and you want to satisfactory transactions to bring in more business! What you call business is actually just flat out greed and con-man tactics. Whats really fucked up about it is that you and nearly everyone else in the world ACCEPT IT and probably even practice it thats why you're attitude about it is :dunno: And its why labels and studios and networks and just about every industry gets away with it. Because people who think like you do DON'T call that shit out when it happens. You all are GOOD WITH IT and thats a major reason why the world is as fucked up as it is.

Its not business its just FUCKING PEOPLE OVER. :smh:
Fantasy land

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For the record she was lucky to get a credit on a Beyoncé song that's gonna due streaming/ playlist numbers.......

She definitely dropped the bag and played herself
Kelis just messed up the money. She has made new enemies.

And for the record, it was an interpolation not a sample.
On the original version of “Energy,” near the song’s end, Beyoncé sang a variation of the “La-la, la-la, la” that Kelis made famous on “Milkshake” (as shown by the TikToker @jarredjermaine). In the updated version of “Energy” on streaming platforms, Beyoncé’s series of “las” is absent. Pitchfork has reached out to Beyoncé’s representative for comment and more information.

Despite being interpolated, Kelis was not credited as a writer of “Energy” because she is not officially a writer or producer of “Milkshake.” Her Neptunes collaborators, Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo, are officially the composers and lyricists of “Milkshake,” and, therefore, are co-writers of the original “Energy.” Beyoncé’s website no longer lists Hugo and Williams as “Energy” composers, and the “Milkshake” interpolation is no longer noted.

Full credits later revealed the song in question was “Milkshake,” with Kelis’ former producers Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo credited on the track. Beyoncé’s website also noted the song was interpolated, which takes an existing sound and alters it, whereas sampling takes directly from a song with no changes.

Regardless that the song was used in a minor way or tweaked to fit Beyoncé’s dance track, Kelis wasn’t pleased, saying the entire situation was a “trigger” point for her. “It’s beyond this song at this point,” she wrote in an Instagram caption. “There are bullies and secrets and gangsters in this industry that smile and get away with it until someone says enough is enough. So, I’m saying it today. I’m coming for what’s mine and I want reparations.”

Kelis also called out Williams, a former close friend who worked with her exclusively alongside Chad Hugo on her first two albums. Their relationship went bust after Kelis claimed that Williams and Hugo had “lied and tricked” her into a raw deal. Instead of splitting things “33/33/33,” Kelis told The Guardian in 2020, she was left with no rights to her early music, and ended up only making money from her first albums from touring.

She referred to the contentious relationship in her Instagram video, saying, “Publishing was stolen, people were swindled out of rights. It happens all the time, especially back then. So it’s not about me being mad about Beyoncé.”

“Pharrell knows better,” she added. “This is a direct hit at me [and] he does this stuff all the time. The reason I’m annoyed is because I know it was on purpose.”

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
On the original version of “Energy,” near the song’s end, Beyoncé sang a variation of the “La-la, la-la, la” that Kelis made famous on “Milkshake” (as shown by the TikToker @jarredjermaine). In the updated version of “Energy” on streaming platforms, Beyoncé’s series of “las” is absent. Pitchfork has reached out to Beyoncé’s representative for comment and more information.

Despite being interpolated, Kelis was not credited as a writer of “Energy” because she is not officially a writer or producer of “Milkshake.” Her Neptunes collaborators, Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo, are officially the composers and lyricists of “Milkshake,” and, therefore, are co-writers of the original “Energy.” Beyoncé’s website no longer lists Hugo and Williams as “Energy” composers, and the “Milkshake” interpolation is no longer noted.

Full credits later revealed the song in question was “Milkshake,” with Kelis’ former producers Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo credited on the track. Beyoncé’s website also noted the song was interpolated, which takes an existing sound and alters it, whereas sampling takes directly from a song with no changes.

Regardless that the song was used in a minor way or tweaked to fit Beyoncé’s dance track, Kelis wasn’t pleased, saying the entire situation was a “trigger” point for her. “It’s beyond this song at this point,” she wrote in an Instagram caption. “There are bullies and secrets and gangsters in this industry that smile and get away with it until someone says enough is enough. So, I’m saying it today. I’m coming for what’s mine and I want reparations.”

Kelis also called out Williams, a former close friend who worked with her exclusively alongside Chad Hugo on her first two albums. Their relationship went bust after Kelis claimed that Williams and Hugo had “lied and tricked” her into a raw deal. Instead of splitting things “33/33/33,” Kelis told The Guardian in 2020, she was left with no rights to her early music, and ended up only making money from her first albums from touring.

She referred to the contentious relationship in her Instagram video, saying, “Publishing was stolen, people were swindled out of rights. It happens all the time, especially back then. So it’s not about me being mad about Beyoncé.”

“Pharrell knows better,” she added. “This is a direct hit at me [and] he does this stuff all the time. The reason I’m annoyed is because I know it was on purpose.”

How is this deranged woman saying that her publishing was stolen when she didn't write or produce the record. All she should get is performance royalties. I'm sure almost of her record royalties went to pay all those big name producers on that album including The Neptunes.

One thing I do know, if she thought her relationship with Chad and Pharrell was tense before, now that she has messed up the money, it's now on another level.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How is this deranged woman saying that her publishing was stolen when she didn't write or produce the record. All she should get is performance royalties. I'm sure almost of her record royalties went to pay all those big name producers on that album including The Neptunes.

One thing I do know, if she thought her relationship with Chad and Pharrell was tense before, now that she has messed up the money, it's now on another level.
someone said earlier that she probably contributed some ideas they used during recording and they didn't give her a credit for it.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
The beef aside. Isn't is crazy how in this digital age how they can modify published tracks on the fly. This is the 2nd track beyonce changed after it came out.

Are the tracks that were previously downloaded but still on the phone also modified?

Makes me want to go back to downloading music and keeping it offline.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are the tracks that were previously downloaded but still on the phone also modified?

Makes me want to go back to downloading music and keeping it offline.

No, if you want the updated version you have to delete it off your phone and download the new version.

If the item was paid for, you won't be charged again. It's like updating an app, you have to delete the old version first.