U.S. Supreme Court has voted to strike down Roe vs. Wade

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.
The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

Deliberations on controversial cases have in the past been fluid. Justices can and sometimes do change their votes as draft opinions circulate and major decisions can be subject to multiple drafts and vote-trading, sometimes until just days before a decision is unveiled. The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months.

The immediate impact of the ruling as drafted in February would be to end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion rights and allow each state to decide whether to restrict or ban abortion. It’s unclear if there have been subsequent changes to the draft.
No draft decision in the modern history of the court has been disclosed publicly while a case was still pending. The unprecedented revelation is bound to intensify the debate over what was already the most controversial case on the docket this term.

The draft opinion offers an extraordinary window into the justices’ deliberations in one of the most consequential cases before the court in the last five decades. Some court-watchers predicted that the conservative majority would slice away at abortion rights without flatly overturning a 49-year-old precedent. The draft shows that the court is looking to reject Roe’s logic and legal protections.

POLITICO received a copy of the draft opinion from a person familiar with the court’s proceedings in the Mississippi case along with other details supporting the authenticity of the document. The draft opinion runs 98 pages, including a 31-page appendix of historical state abortion laws. The document is replete with citations to previous court decisions, books and other authorities, and includes 118 footnotes. The appearances and timing of this draft are consistent with court practice.

The disclosure of Alito’s draft majority opinion – a rare breach of Supreme Court secrecy and tradition around its deliberations – comes as all sides in the abortion debate are girding for the ruling. Speculation about the looming decision has been intense since the December oral arguments indicated a majority was inclined to support the Mississippi law.

Under longstanding court procedures, justices hold preliminary votes on cases shortly after argument and assign a member of the majority to write a draft of the court’s opinion. The draft is often amended in consultation with other justices, and in some cases the justices change their votes altogether, creating the possibility that the current alignment on Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization could change.

The chief justice typically assigns majority opinions when he is in the majority. When he is not, that decision is typically made by the most senior justice in the majority.

‘Exceptionally weak’
A George W. Bush appointee who joined the court in 2006, Alito argues that the 1973 abortion rights ruling was an ill-conceived and deeply flawed decision that invented a right mentioned nowhere in the Constitution and unwisely sought to wrench the contentious issue away from the political branches of government.

Last edited:

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
This is going to piss off a lot of people. People let me tell you something if you want this to change you better get out there and vote for Democrats this midterm because Republicans are going to fuck a lot of shit up hell they are going to fuck over their own people you see what governor death sentence is doing in Florida And what governor hot wheels did in Texas. Also some Democrats voters needed this red light to start flashing to get activated. People white people are dying left and right in this country and Covid is making it worse I’m down but stopping abortions is not going to help their case hell it may expand the people of color count even quicker.

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
This is going to piss off a lot of people. People let me tell you something if you want this to change you better get out there and vote for Democrats this midterm because Republicans are going to fuck a lot of shit up hell they are going to fuck over their own people you see what governor death sentence is doing in Florida And what governor hot wheels did in Texas. Also some Democrats voters needed this red light to start flashing to get activated. People white people are dying left and right in this country and Covid is making it worse I’m down but stopping abortions is not going to help their case hell it may expand the people of color count even quicker.

They are going to burn it all down on the way out.

christop

Rising Star
Registered
But.........her emails.
OIP.3MuW9rOCxoV13Je_Yvvp9QHaFg

easy_b

BGOL Investor
I personally have given up all hope for this country shit has been going backwards socially shit is wild.
I have hope for this country we just have stupid people in the wrong places in this country make a decision. Lake I said earlier, most people seen what governor hot wheels and the Florida governor did to their own people so you know what the fuck is going to happen if you let these fools take over and poor and middle-class white people are going to catch the most hell.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
It seems like ever since Obama got elected twice certain white people have been going overboard Trippin the demographics in this country is changing quick as hell and some of these white people cannot stand it because it’s nothing they could do about it. People this summer please watch your back

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
Conservatives aren't interested in democracy they won't care about protest lol.
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

This is what people just don't fucking get.

The dye has been cast. WTF did anybody expect with 6 Catholic zealot freaks on the goddamned court?

Hopefully, this will wake a lot of people up (read: STUPID ASSED WHITE BITCHES THAT KEEP VOTING FOR FUCKING NAZIS!).

If republicans regain power-the house, senate and presidency, or even just the house and senate, we are done.

And for the "both sides are the same" assholes: please accept this "go fuck yourself" in advance.

christop

Rising Star
Registered
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

This is what people just don't fucking get.

The dye has been cast. WTF did anybody expect with 6 Catholic zealot freaks on the goddamned court?

Hopefully, this will wake a lot of people up (read: STUPID ASSED WHITE BITCHES THAT KEEP VOTING FOR FUCKING NAZIS!).

And for the "both sides are the same" assholes: take this "go fuck yourself in advance".
Facts

christop

Rising Star
Registered
I have hope for this country we just have stupid people in the wrong places in this country make a decision. Lake I said earlier, most people seen what governor hot wheels and the Florida governor did to their own people so you know what the fuck is going to happen if you let these fools take over and poor and middle-class white people are going to catch the most hell.
I don't shit is fucked for a generation I fear.

Thegooch

Pope Gooch is currently brunching with the Devil.
Registered
If true, Blue states are going to be OK. In places where I am like Ohio, women are screwed.

Women and men need to make better choices. Why should the unborn have to suffer?

Most Democrats had zero issue telling everyone what to do with their bodies when it came to COVID-19. Millions of people where given little choice to take experimental drugs.

Catching a virus isnt a death sentence. Abortion is.

Last edited:

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
If true, Blue states are going to be OK. In places where I am like Ohio, women are screwed.

Don't be so sure yet...

Unless I am mistaken, the day this goes into effect, at least 24 states have laws on the books already, triggered by the overturn of Roe v. Wade, that will immediately outlaw abortion in said states.

christop

Rising Star
Registered
Women and men need to make better choices. Why should the unborn have to suffer?

Most Democrats had zero issue telling everyone what to do with their bodies when it came to COVID-19. Millions of people where give little choice to take experimental drugs.

Catching a virus isnt a death sentence. Abortion is.
This might be the most batshit anti abortion argument I've ever heard.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
If this isnt overturned -- draft opinions aren't necessarily final -- we won't see the fallout from this until 18-20 years down the line. There will be millions of unwanted kids who are grown up and angry with the world. This country is going to be complete shit at that point.