BGOL Investor
yMXMcRE.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed it, because I thought Wanda and Vision were wack as fuck during The Avengers and they didn't develop them enough

Can't wait to see what they do with Falcon and The Winter soldier and Loki

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What cameo were they hyping?
Paul Bettany made a statement about the finale having a cameo with someone he's been eager to work with for a while. He was just fucking around because he was referring to himself lol.

There were rumors that Dr. Strange was going to show up. Other rumors were that Reed Richards would show up as Monica's astrophysicist friend she mentioned a couple of times.

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
On its own the finale was fine but if you followed these damn theorists it felt like a letdown....theorists/ fan boys/ geeks are the gift and the curse of these kind of movies
Yea I don't even watch or listen to them lol. They mostly guessing and hoping to be right so they can get more followers.

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered
Paul Bettany made a statement about the finale having a cameo with someone he's been eager to work with for a while. He was just fucking around because he was referring to himself lol.

There were rumors that Dr. Strange was going to show up. Other rumors were that Reed Richards would show up as Monica's astrophysicist friend she mentioned a couple of times.

Rumors caused by assumption. It wouldn't really make sense to introduce Reed Richards here. Dr.Strange or Wong would have.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The writers couldnt decide on what was the limit of Agatha's powers.I can fight you here but not there oh wait i can
fight you there plus not only make an illusion of your brother and give him the powers he possesed too !!

Lame to write in Quicksilver from another universe and films just as a misdirect and trolling to get people to get excited and watch the show.

These are the main problems i had with the show.
There were some great and fun moments throughout though.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I said it the entire time. The show was showing you everything right in your face with some misdirection. The MCU isn't the comics and fans/fanboys need to remember they are adopting stories or concepts from things that were built, rebuilt and broken over decades. On a large scale nothing you think you know matters.

Hayward wasn't a villain on the level people thought and was apparently only there to bring back some form of Vision. I'm not even entirely sure what his crime was, but I guess shooting at imaginary kids that were attacking government agents was supposed make him a true villain to the audience. They didn't even need to make his character seem bad and from an alternative view point he really isn't.

Even Agnes wasn't really the bad guy of the story. Not that her being the villain made sense considering they clearly show her coming into the picture after the town was taken over by Wanda. But episode 7 did make me rethink Wanda as the villain given the misdirection. Hence the reason why I thought I might have been wrong.

Even though Wanda loses her family, she really isn't held accountable for her actions on any level and was the true villain like I thought. While they should have taken it further, I figured they would not want to make a woman with mental illness an outright villain in today's climate. In the end, they treated what Wanda did like she went through a mild depression and now she has recovered from it by saying goodbye to her fictional family. I was hoping for something closer to a Dark Phoenixish mental state for Wanda by the end but again I figured they wouldn't go that route.

Overall the series was good but the ending played it to safe. At least they did stick with Wanda's mental illness being the cause for her being the soft villain of the story.

Now that it is over, I'm really sticking to my opinion that starting from episode 3 or 4 really won't hurt anyone's overall enjoyment of the series and may be best for those who are not into old sitcoms.

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
I understand

I'm not hating on it because it was enjoyable but to say it's the best show in the MCU is ridiculous....Especially, when there were times I felt I was gonna die of boredom on a few episodes....

I can see that. I am going to last though Agents of Shield and Runaways soon. Couldn’t watch the before because of deployments and travel. About to have a bunch of time on my hands within the year.

Lou_Kayge

Rising Star
Registered
I said it the entire time. The show was showing you everything right in your face with some misdirection. The MCU isn't the comics and fans/fanboys need to remember they are adopting stories or concepts from things that were built, rebuilt and broken over decades. On a large scale nothing you think you know matters.

Hayward wasn't a villain on the level people thought and was apparently only there to bring back some form of Vision. I'm not even entirely sure what his crime was, but I guess shooting at imaginary kids that were attacking government agents was supposed make him a true villain to the audience. They didn't even need to make his character seem bad and from an alternative view point he really isn't.

Even Agnes wasn't really the bad guy of the story. Not that her being the villain made sense considering they clearly show her coming into the picture after the town was taken over by Wanda. But episode 7 did make me rethink Wanda as the villain given the misdirection. Hence the reason why I thought I might have been wrong.

Even though Wanda loses her family, she really isn't held accountable for her actions on any level and was the true villain like I thought. While they should have taken it further, I figured they would not want to make a woman with mental illness an outright villain in today's climate. In the end, they treated what Wanda did like she went through a mild depression and now she has recovered from it by saying goodbye to her fictional family. I was hoping for something closer to a Dark Phoenixish mental state for Wanda by the end but again I figured they wouldn't go that route.

Overall the series was good but the ending played it to safe. At least they did stick with Wanda's mental illness being the cause for her being the soft villain of the story.

Now that it is over, I'm really sticking to my opinion that starting from episode 3 or 4 really won't hurt anyone's overall enjoyment of the series and may be best for those who are not into old sitcoms.

The worst thing Wanda has intentionally done was to cause the Hulk rampage in Age of Ultron. She has a selfish streak(see the Sokovian flashback,Pietro kinda complained that she always gets to pick what they want to watch), but didn't maliciously "kidnap" those people. Namor and Black Adam have done foul shit and have jumped back and forth between hero and villain.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WandaVision Failed to Deliver Things That Were Never Promised to Me (collider.com)

For two months now, I’ve gone on Twitter after episodes of WandaVision, and everyone has been speculating about what’s to come. The astrophysicist that Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) mentioned? That has to be Reed Richards because a new Fantastic Four movie is in the works. Sure, they haven’t even finished a script and director Jon Watts is still working on Spider-Man: No Way Home and a major piece of casting like that almost always leaks out in some form, but I was promised by the Internet that John Krasinski would play Reed Richards, which of course means that his real-world wife Emily Blunt was also being cast as Sue Storm aka The Invisible Woman. The Internet said so, and because Monica said the word “astrophysicist” that means Fantastic Four. Twitter told me so.

Also, because Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) is dealing with magic, that also means Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) has to show up. We know that Olsen is part of the cast of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and so Doctor Strange had to appear in WandaVision. That’s not even a question; the only question is when Cumberbatch was making his cameo appearance so that we could get ready for the next Marvel movie. Even though it’s not next and doesn’t even come out until 2022, we need some kind of teaser. If you don’t tease the next Marvel thing, then what are we even doing here?

So imagine my utter rage and disappointment when WandaVision turned out to be a grief drama. UGH. FEELINGS. If I wanted to watch Elizabeth Olsen in a TV series about grief, I would watch Sorry for Your Loss, which I haven’t, but I’m just saying it’s an option. But my superhero shows are supposed to be about giving me more superheroes. It’s supposed to be a teaser machine where instead of enjoying the current narrative, I need to be sold on the next narrative. What does Wanda’s emotional state possibly tell me about whether or not Mephisto is going to come along later?

By treating Wanda’s story as one about grief, loss, and healing, Marvel denied me the chance to connect my comic book knowledge to the movies. Do you think we read comic books for fun? NO. We read them so we can amass a bunch of knowledge about storylines and then feel secure that we’re ahead of the curve when the movies come along to repeat those storylines. I haven’t been burned this badly by Marvel since The Mandarin turned out to be just an actor in Iron Man 3. Why would you play with my expectations, Marvel? To surprise me? To bring me joy? The only joy I feel is when my fan theories are proved correct so that people know I’m smart.

I don’t watch Marvel stuff to feel feelings or to think about my emotions or consider my place in the world or my relationships with others. I watch them for two reasons: 1) To acknowledge comic books (the more obscure the better, so as to reward my efforts), and 2) to tease future Marvel projects at the expense of the one I’m currently watching. We all know that the best part of Avengers: Age of Ultron is when Thor (Chris Hemsworth) goes on his vision quest because that clued us into the Infinity Stones even though stones had already been mentioned the previous year in Guardians of the Galaxy. I also think we can all agree that Iron Man 2 is the best Marvel movie because it does so much heavy lifting in setting up future Marvel movies. And in my opinion, there has not been a better Marvel scene than the one in Thor where Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is in a bucket to introduce us to Hawkeye.

WandaVision denied us all of these great kinds of moments that were not promised by the show in any way, but they were promised to us by the fandom, which is obviously more important than the thing they’re supposedly a fan of. If you’re not listening to the fans, then what are you even doing? Crafting a story with a strong character arc to explore a universal emotion that resonates deeply with the viewer? Who wants that?! Looking back at WandaVision, all I see are a bunch of missed opportunities. Instead of using the series to introduce the X-Men, they just turned it into a gag about a guy named Ralph Bohner, which, while objectively hilarious, did not support my fan theory, so the show failed. WandaVision made me look foolish, and all entertainment must support my ego.

I really hope that Marvel learns from the errors they made with WandaVision. We can’t allow studios to enable creators to entrust their audience with emotions and thematic resonance. The whole point of an interconnected superhero universe is to abandon the main plotline as soon as it gets to selling us on the next thing in the interconnected superhero universe. Rather than selling us on Fantastic Four or Doctor Strange 2 or the arrival of mutants—things that we have already been sold on and will watch no matter what—WandaVision was about feelings and characters and that’s just unacceptable. I do not watch superhero movies and shows to think and feel. I watch them so that my fandom is affirmed, and being a fan means always looking ahead to the next thing rather than spending time in the present. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to start theorizing about when we can expect Chris Evans to make a cameo in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

:lol: :gun02:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I understand

I'm not hating on it because it was enjoyable but to say it's the best show in the MCU is ridiculous....Especially, when there were times I felt I was gonna die of boredom on a few episodes....

I can dig it. "Best" is relative. It was definitely a departure from the "normal" Marvel product. Marvel is known for attention to detail and it's like this show was a gift, so to speak, to the fans who love to search for easter eggs, frame by frame most of the time.

I enjoyed it because it was different but I can ride in a Rolls and enjoy it for being a Roller and ride in a Porsche and appreciate it for being a Porsche, but at the end of the day they're both cars.

You like what you like. All good.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Watched the Series Finale Friday night. It was done well and was full of action from start to finish.

no need to repeat what has already been pointed out.

We saw Wanda use her powers in full from what we saw of her in the movies. And got a good debut of her in her official uniform.

20210305_1620025701606546950201857.jpg

WandaVision-Costume.jpg

We found out who "Quicksilver" was. The crack on former US Rep/SoH John Boehner was funny. It must have been a inside joke with somebody in the cast or behind the scenes who had dealings with him.

Monica using her powers was done well, and with the debut of the Skrulls, it looks like she will be getting a future series around her.

They introduced the "Darkhold". That book was introduced in "Agents of SHIELD" and "Runaways", but being the shows were not directly tied in with the MCU back then, its hard to tell if there is any connection.

The fight between original Vision and White Vision was done well, now we got to find out where he disappeared to.

And there was no big MCU cameo. I know everybody was hyped when the first mid-credit scene was shown, and when the end credit scene slowly played out and the camera went into thru, the house, I was sitting on the edge of my seat......and like everybody else, disappointed.

Marvel did a good job of hyping it up.

Looking forward to Falcoln and Winter Soldier on March 19th.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
WandaVision Director Reveals Series Was Planned for More Episodes
By CHARLIE RIDGELY - March 8, 2021 11:18 am EST

After nine episodes over an eight-week span, Marvel's WandaVision series on Disney+ finally came to an end this past Friday, concluding the mystery of Wanda Maximoff's Hex in Westview, New Jersey. There were plenty of fans out there who believed that, despite the announcement of nine episodes, there was a secret 10th episode that would reveal itself after the finale. Unfortunately, there wasn't some hidden 10th edition of WandaVision, but there was a plan for 10 episodes at one point during the show's production.

WandaVision director Matt Shackman recently appeared on Fatman Beyond with Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin to talk about the entire WandaVision run. He explained that several changes were made throughout the production, including the shortening of the length of the show itself.

"Well, yeah, things were constantly changing and getting rebroken," Shakman said. "The story was changing, especially a lot of the real-world stuff and the finale. There was a lot of experimentation going on and sort of trying different things out. We also at one point had 10 episodes planned and we ended up collapsing a couple, you know just to make the rhythm feel a little big better. But yeah, they constantly changed and then of course, once we wrapped in Atlanta the pandemic hit and we ended up having monhts off so then further changes during that we were doing post-production and then ideas would come up and little changes would happen as a result."

At one point during the lead-up to WandaVision, there were plans for a total of 10 episodes. It seems, however, that the pacing of the series didn't quite work out with that high of an order. It remains to be seen what was actually removed from the show in order to take the series down to a total of nine episodes. We can rest assured, though, that all of the most important details remained.

READ MORENew Xbox Browser ReportedlySupports Stadia

SKIP AD

Would you have liked to see 10 total episodes of WandaVision? What do you think was taken out to cut the whole thing down to nine? Let us know in the comments!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Addresses Aerospace Engineer, Theories, and Final Episode (Exclusive)
By BRANDON DAVIS - March 5, 2021 02:06 pm EST

WandaVision is rolling into its final episode on Friday with a tremendous amount of momentum. The event series on Disney+ has become a snowball which bounces in unexpected direction, ultimately growing in size to become an unstoppable force as the show will ultimately send some its characters to other titles including Captain Marvel 2, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The show built its buzz on mystery and has landed on emotionally charged performances and writing while answering some of its many questions. Ahead of the finale, WandaVision director Matt Shakman connected with ComicBook.com to take a look back and preview what may be coming.

Given how brilliant WandaVision has been, it's hard to believe the first words out of Shakman's mouth during the interview were, "I'm sorry." The director has seen all of the fan theories and speculation surrounding the series, rarely falling into any of the millions of predictions made each week. "I love the memes they have created, the TikTok videos, the theories," he says. "I mean, my gosh, the people making these theories are more creative than I am, so thank you."
It seems this sort of true desire to deliver something satisfying is Shakman's true desire, having taken bold swings throughout WandaVision like filming in front of a live studio audience and making every effort to preserve surprises like the casting of Evan Peters (which ultimately made its way online before the series aired). "We took every step possible and apparently not enough steps because, you know, it did leak out there and that was a shame because you're always trying to keep things quiet as long as you can," Shakman says. "And somehow they kept Luke Skywalker a secret, but we couldn't keep Evan a secret, which is a real bummer."
Still, WandaVision has been delivering surprises and satisfaction in spades -- once you get past the fans on social media complaining about the episodes being too short or the fact that the Disney+ show didn't simply debut every hero and villain remaining in the Marvel Comics catalog. In telling a more contained story on the heels of Avengers: Endgame serving as an ensemble blowout, Shakman has been able to introduce sides of Marvel characters which have never been explored before. More specifically, the tragic life of Wanda Maximoff which has been merely discussed but never explicitly experienced since her debut in Avengers: Age of Ultron has been emotionally front and center.
"Wanda's trauma is what the show is all about," Shakman says. "It was hard to talk about in press early on when we are just talking about sitcom episodes, but it's the through line for the whole show." In the most recent episode, titled, "Previously On," WandaVision exposed Wanda's trauma and took a look at her efforts to suppress harsh memories. Rolling into the finale, the character's arc will be in focus.
"I certainly hope that people find it to be a satisfying conclusion," Shakman says of the final WandaVision episode. "Hopefully it all feels that it's been building momentum and snowballing towards the end. It is continuing to deal with how do you deal with grief and loss and come back from that. And then we've introduced some new players on the table as well, or revealed aspects of certain players on the table."
Read the full interview with Matt Shakman below or watch it in the video above!
The Aerospace Engineer
(Photo: Marvel Studios / WandaVision)
ComicBook.com: My first question, I'm really wondering how you're pulling this off because this is the first TV show where every episode gets re-shot shot each week to make sure none of our theories are correct. How do you guys pull that off?
Matt Shakman:
I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The single tear down every fan's cheek, I know. Aerospace engineers and the like... you know listen, we certainly... I have been so taken by the passionate interest in the show. And I love the memes they have created, the TikTok videos, the theories. I mean my gosh, the people making these theories are more creative than I am, so thank you. There's a lot of wonderful response to it and for those who get a little bit disappointed week to week, mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
CB: If you were falling into all those theories, I think that would be the disappointment. What you guys are doing is just delivering something surprising every week. That said, of all the wild theories that people like to make and all that the fans have come up with, do you have a favorite? Has there been one that's like, "Oh that's a pretty good one, that's a fun one."
MS:
No, I mean, certainly the amount of passion around the aerospace engineer certainly was one that was pretty great. I mean, sure, it would've been great if Reed Richards had showed up with that rover, that would have been pretty great.

The Trauma
CB: As much fun as there has been, the episodes also get quite heavy at times in dealing with trauma and mental health. Did you guys do any kind of research on people dealing with trauma or was there any specific kind of message you wanted to send specifically in Episode 8 about things that people do go through?
MS
: Yeah, Wanda's trauma is what the show is all about. It was hard to talk about in press early on when we are just talking about sitcom episodes, but it's the through line for the whole show. And it's, I think something that we all have experience with and this year more than ever as we mourn over 500,000 people having died just in this country alone in a pandemic. So I think it has extra resonance now, strangely, but this show is about how do you grieve? How do you come back from loss? Can you come back from loss?
She's lost everything. She's lost her parents, she's lost her brother, she's lost the love of her life. And it's from that grief that it unlocks a new power in her that she didn't even know she had, right? And it's so then when you go back, hopefully, and you look at the explorations of sitcom that we were doing, that it wasn't just wackiness for wackiness’ sake, that this was where she was taking solace and where she was building the life that she wished she had had.

But What Is Grief...?
(Photo: Marvel Studios / Disney+)
CB: Those early episodes hit different now. The line from Vision in Episode 8 was just such an amazing line. I almost can't believe I haven't heard that before because it is so deep and profound, but it was such an original line about, "But what is grief, if not love persevering?" Where did that line come from?
MS:
From the amazing Laura Donnie's head. You know, I mean, from the writer of that episode, Jac Shaffer is a genius writer. Everyone she hired to work on that team was incredible and each of them brought a different perspective. And I think Laura's episode, "Previously On," which we just had is a beautiful meditation on loss and it includes a line that's gorgeous.
I think it follows in a tradition for Vision, which is that even though he's not human, he's almost more human than we are and you know, "Something isn't beautiful just because it lasts." He's had some of the best lines in the MCU about humanity and that's just yet another one and there might be some more in the future before this wraps.
CB: That line is going to be tattooed on everybody by the end of next week, I'm sure. Maybe me, I don't know.

Magical Colors
(Photo: Marvel Studios)
CB: We've seen different versions and colors of magic. Agatha's magic is purple. Wanda's magic is red, scarlet red. Evanora's magic was blue. Outside of this, Dr. Strange has orange magic. I am just curious, does the color of the magic... how did you make the decision on those and does the fact that they're kind of reflecting the colors of Infinity Stones have anything to do with it or is that a coincidence?
MS:
Well, you know, certainly Wanda's power, as we can say, was enhanced by her experience with the infinity stone, which we saw in the last episode. In terms of color differentiation, I think it's important because when you're trying to describe what's happening, especially with Agatha in Salem, Massachusetts, you want to be able to see her purple magic eat away at that blue magic, right? Because that's what she does, she absorbs power, she's taking the magic from the other witches. Which is why they look so, you know, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" at the end of that scene, because she's literally sucked all of their, their sort of magic in life from them.
So for us, in terms of color coding for that scene, that was, you know, one of the biggest reasons why it's like that. And of course Wanda's magic has been established, but we're evolving it and changing it as we go.

The X-Men Universe?
CB: I haven't talked to you since Evan Peters showed up on the show. I feel like you guys had to have put in an extra effort to preserve that secret. So I'd like to hear both, where did the decision to bring Evan in as Pietro, or Fietro as Agatha calls him, come from? And what extra steps to keep that secret did you take?
MS:
We took every step possible and apparently not enough steps because you know, it did leak out there and that was a shame because you're always trying to keep things quiet as long as you can. And somehow they kept Luke Skywalker a secret, but we couldn't keep Evan a secret, which is a real bummer. But you know, we thought he is the best and he put up with all sorts of, you know, being smuggled in capes, and hidden in vans and all that sort of stuff to try to preserve the illusion.
But yeah, that came fairly early in the development of the show, this question of who would be at that door and grief does a lot to a person, in terms of what they're willing to accept. And yes Agatha let's you know that she was pulling the strings on that, trying to get a little more information.
CB: So, I mean, is that a multi-verse nod? Is it just a coincidence that he played the same character on a different franchise?
MS:
We'll have to meet again some Monday in the future.
CB: I have to ask these things, though. I'll lose my job if I don't!
MS:
Of course.

The Finale
CB: We have one episode left. A lot of questions remaining in this and so much momentum going in. We're set for like a Vision versus Vision, maybe. Agatha versus Wanda. Maybe they all become friends and just have a picnic but I don't think that's going to happen. What can you tease about this last episode we're going to get this week?
MS:
Well, I certainly hope that people find it to be a satisfying conclusion. You know, we definitely have known the story that we want to tell from the beginning, so that sense of building towards a final moment that made sense for us from the beginning is there. So I hope people find it both surprising, but inevitable, you know, the idea, I hate stories that pivot, 180 at the last minute and you're like, "What have I been watching this whole time?" You know, Agatha Christie novels where the murderer is someone you just met pops in and you're like, "Come on, why did I read this whole thing?"
Hopefully it all feels that it's been building momentum and snowballing towards the end. It is continuing to deal with how do you deal with grief and loss and come back from that. And then we've introduced some new players on the table as well, or revealed aspects of certain players on the table. So you now have two Visions on the chess board, and what does that mean? Who's the real Vision?
CB: Do you know the runtime of the episode? Can you share that?
MS:
You know, I can't remember the exact runtime of it. Yeah.

Baby Viz
CB: Last thing: the baby Vision photos, are those Paul Bettany's baby photos photoshopped as Vision?
MS:
No, Scott McPhate, who is one of our VFX coordinators on the show is an amazing guy who actually looks a little bit like Paul. And when we were struggling to find baby pictures, because Paul didn't have any ones that would work. We were trying to get stock photos or whatever. And Scott was like, you know, I have a few. And he sent these amazing photos. And then when I sent them through for temp VFX, you know, as we were starting just to kind of do a rough version of what they would look like, Oh my God, they came back and I just couldn't stop laughing. It was my favorite thing.
1COMMENTS
CB: I love it, man. Well, it's such a pleasure to speak with you. I hope I get to talk with you once we see how it all plays out. Congratulations on a fantastic, amazing series so far.
MS:
Oh, thank you very much for sure. All right. Thanks Brandon. See you later.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Addresses Aerospace Engineer, Theories, and Final Episode (Exclusive)
By BRANDON DAVIS - March 5, 2021 02:06 pm EST

WandaVision is rolling into its final episode on Friday with a tremendous amount of momentum. The event series on Disney+ has become a snowball which bounces in unexpected direction, ultimately growing in size to become an unstoppable force as the show will ultimately send some its characters to other titles including Captain Marvel 2, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The show built its buzz on mystery and has landed on emotionally charged performances and writing while answering some of its many questions. Ahead of the finale, WandaVision director Matt Shakman connected with ComicBook.com to take a look back and preview what may be coming.

Given how brilliant WandaVision has been, it's hard to believe the first words out of Shakman's mouth during the interview were, "I'm sorry." The director has seen all of the fan theories and speculation surrounding the series, rarely falling into any of the millions of predictions made each week. "I love the memes they have created, the TikTok videos, the theories," he says. "I mean, my gosh, the people making these theories are more creative than I am, so thank you."
It seems this sort of true desire to deliver something satisfying is Shakman's true desire, having taken bold swings throughout WandaVision like filming in front of a live studio audience and making every effort to preserve surprises like the casting of Evan Peters (which ultimately made its way online before the series aired). "We took every step possible and apparently not enough steps because, you know, it did leak out there and that was a shame because you're always trying to keep things quiet as long as you can," Shakman says. "And somehow they kept Luke Skywalker a secret, but we couldn't keep Evan a secret, which is a real bummer."
Still, WandaVision has been delivering surprises and satisfaction in spades -- once you get past the fans on social media complaining about the episodes being too short or the fact that the Disney+ show didn't simply debut every hero and villain remaining in the Marvel Comics catalog. In telling a more contained story on the heels of Avengers: Endgame serving as an ensemble blowout, Shakman has been able to introduce sides of Marvel characters which have never been explored before. More specifically, the tragic life of Wanda Maximoff which has been merely discussed but never explicitly experienced since her debut in Avengers: Age of Ultron has been emotionally front and center.
"Wanda's trauma is what the show is all about," Shakman says. "It was hard to talk about in press early on when we are just talking about sitcom episodes, but it's the through line for the whole show." In the most recent episode, titled, "Previously On," WandaVision exposed Wanda's trauma and took a look at her efforts to suppress harsh memories. Rolling into the finale, the character's arc will be in focus.
"I certainly hope that people find it to be a satisfying conclusion," Shakman says of the final WandaVision episode. "Hopefully it all feels that it's been building momentum and snowballing towards the end. It is continuing to deal with how do you deal with grief and loss and come back from that. And then we've introduced some new players on the table as well, or revealed aspects of certain players on the table."
Read the full interview with Matt Shakman below or watch it in the video above!
The Aerospace Engineer
ComicBook.com: My first question, I'm really wondering how you're pulling this off because this is the first TV show where every episode gets re-shot shot each week to make sure none of our theories are correct. How do you guys pull that off?
Matt Shakman:
I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The single tear down every fan's cheek, I know. Aerospace engineers and the like... you know listen, we certainly... I have been so taken by the passionate interest in the show. And I love the memes they have created, the TikTok videos, the theories. I mean my gosh, the people making these theories are more creative than I am, so thank you. There's a lot of wonderful response to it and for those who get a little bit disappointed week to week, mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
CB: If you were falling into all those theories, I think that would be the disappointment. What you guys are doing is just delivering something surprising every week. That said, of all the wild theories that people like to make and all that the fans have come up with, do you have a favorite? Has there been one that's like, "Oh that's a pretty good one, that's a fun one."
MS:
No, I mean, certainly the amount of passion around the aerospace engineer certainly was one that was pretty great. I mean, sure, it would've been great if Reed Richards had showed up with that rover, that would have been pretty great.

The Trauma
CB: As much fun as there has been, the episodes also get quite heavy at times in dealing with trauma and mental health. Did you guys do any kind of research on people dealing with trauma or was there any specific kind of message you wanted to send specifically in Episode 8 about things that people do go through?
MS
: Yeah, Wanda's trauma is what the show is all about. It was hard to talk about in press early on when we are just talking about sitcom episodes, but it's the through line for the whole show. And it's, I think something that we all have experience with and this year more than ever as we mourn over 500,000 people having died just in this country alone in a pandemic. So I think it has extra resonance now, strangely, but this show is about how do you grieve? How do you come back from loss? Can you come back from loss?
She's lost everything. She's lost her parents, she's lost her brother, she's lost the love of her life. And it's from that grief that it unlocks a new power in her that she didn't even know she had, right? And it's so then when you go back, hopefully, and you look at the explorations of sitcom that we were doing, that it wasn't just wackiness for wackiness’ sake, that this was where she was taking solace and where she was building the life that she wished she had had.

But What Is Grief...?
(Photo: Marvel Studios / Disney+)
CB: Those early episodes hit different now. The line from Vision in Episode 8 was just such an amazing line. I almost can't believe I haven't heard that before because it is so deep and profound, but it was such an original line about, "But what is grief, if not love persevering?" Where did that line come from?
MS:
From the amazing Laura Donnie's head. You know, I mean, from the writer of that episode, Jac Shaffer is a genius writer. Everyone she hired to work on that team was incredible and each of them brought a different perspective. And I think Laura's episode, "Previously On," which we just had is a beautiful meditation on loss and it includes a line that's gorgeous.
I think it follows in a tradition for Vision, which is that even though he's not human, he's almost more human than we are and you know, "Something isn't beautiful just because it lasts." He's had some of the best lines in the MCU about humanity and that's just yet another one and there might be some more in the future before this wraps.
CB: That line is going to be tattooed on everybody by the end of next week, I'm sure. Maybe me, I don't know.

Magical Colors
(Photo: Marvel Studios)
CB: We've seen different versions and colors of magic. Agatha's magic is purple. Wanda's magic is red, scarlet red. Evanora's magic was blue. Outside of this, Dr. Strange has orange magic. I am just curious, does the color of the magic... how did you make the decision on those and does the fact that they're kind of reflecting the colors of Infinity Stones have anything to do with it or is that a coincidence?
MS:
Well, you know, certainly Wanda's power, as we can say, was enhanced by her experience with the infinity stone, which we saw in the last episode. In terms of color differentiation, I think it's important because when you're trying to describe what's happening, especially with Agatha in Salem, Massachusetts, you want to be able to see her purple magic eat away at that blue magic, right? Because that's what she does, she absorbs power, she's taking the magic from the other witches. Which is why they look so, you know, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" at the end of that scene, because she's literally sucked all of their, their sort of magic in life from them.
So for us, in terms of color coding for that scene, that was, you know, one of the biggest reasons why it's like that. And of course Wanda's magic has been established, but we're evolving it and changing it as we go.

The X-Men Universe?
CB: I haven't talked to you since Evan Peters showed up on the show. I feel like you guys had to have put in an extra effort to preserve that secret. So I'd like to hear both, where did the decision to bring Evan in as Pietro, or Fietro as Agatha calls him, come from? And what extra steps to keep that secret did you take?
MS:
We took every step possible and apparently not enough steps because you know, it did leak out there and that was a shame because you're always trying to keep things quiet as long as you can. And somehow they kept Luke Skywalker a secret, but we couldn't keep Evan a secret, which is a real bummer. But you know, we thought he is the best and he put up with all sorts of, you know, being smuggled in capes, and hidden in vans and all that sort of stuff to try to preserve the illusion.
But yeah, that came fairly early in the development of the show, this question of who would be at that door and grief does a lot to a person, in terms of what they're willing to accept. And yes Agatha let's you know that she was pulling the strings on that, trying to get a little more information.
CB: So, I mean, is that a multi-verse nod? Is it just a coincidence that he played the same character on a different franchise?
MS:
We'll have to meet again some Monday in the future.
CB: I have to ask these things, though. I'll lose my job if I don't!
MS:
Of course.

The Finale
CB: We have one episode left. A lot of questions remaining in this and so much momentum going in. We're set for like a Vision versus Vision, maybe. Agatha versus Wanda. Maybe they all become friends and just have a picnic but I don't think that's going to happen. What can you tease about this last episode we're going to get this week?
MS:
Well, I certainly hope that people find it to be a satisfying conclusion. You know, we definitely have known the story that we want to tell from the beginning, so that sense of building towards a final moment that made sense for us from the beginning is there. So I hope people find it both surprising, but inevitable, you know, the idea, I hate stories that pivot, 180 at the last minute and you're like, "What have I been watching this whole time?" You know, Agatha Christie novels where the murderer is someone you just met pops in and you're like, "Come on, why did I read this whole thing?"
Hopefully it all feels that it's been building momentum and snowballing towards the end. It is continuing to deal with how do you deal with grief and loss and come back from that. And then we've introduced some new players on the table as well, or revealed aspects of certain players on the table. So you now have two Visions on the chess board, and what does that mean? Who's the real Vision?
CB: Do you know the runtime of the episode? Can you share that?
MS:
You know, I can't remember the exact runtime of it. Yeah.

Baby Viz
CB: Last thing: the baby Vision photos, are those Paul Bettany's baby photos photoshopped as Vision?
MS:
No, Scott McPhate, who is one of our VFX coordinators on the show is an amazing guy who actually looks a little bit like Paul. And when we were struggling to find baby pictures, because Paul didn't have any ones that would work. We were trying to get stock photos or whatever. And Scott was like, you know, I have a few. And he sent these amazing photos. And then when I sent them through for temp VFX, you know, as we were starting just to kind of do a rough version of what they would look like, Oh my God, they came back and I just couldn't stop laughing. It was my favorite thing.
1COMMENTS
CB: I love it, man. Well, it's such a pleasure to speak with you. I hope I get to talk with you once we see how it all plays out. Congratulations on a fantastic, amazing series so far.
MS:
Oh, thank you very much for sure. All right. Thanks Brandon. See you later.

that 1st question man....I BEEN SAYING THAT. it feels like, they wait to see our reactions and theories...then they wrote the episodes..EACH WEEK...LOL

crazy