Regina King has no issues with British actors portraying American characters

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Didn't click but I would have been shocked if she had said anything otherwise. Don't tell ADOS but Malcolm X in her new movie was born and raised and still lives in England and her Muhammad Ali was born and raised and still lives in Canada.
:nerd:

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Didn't click but I would have been shocked if she had said anything otherwise. Don't tell ADOS but Malcolm X in her new movie was born and raised and still lives in England and her Muhammad Ali was born and raised and still lives in Canada.
:nerd:

This!!! Talent is talent. But they know they are cutting the pay scale though. That's the scab shit, imo. You couldn't find a red haired light skin brother from the US to play Malcolm AND Al. Get the fuck outta here.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Samuel L Jackson: “There are a lot of black British actors in these movies,” he said in the 2017 radio interview when asked about the movie, Independent reported. “Daniel grew up in a country where they’ve been interracial dating for a hundred years… What would a brother from America have made of that role? I’m sure the director helped, but some things are universal, but [not everything].” :yes:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This!!! Talent is talent. But they know they are cutting the pay scale though. That's the scab shit, imo. You couldn't find a red haired light skin brother from the US to play Malcolm AND Al. Get the fuck outta here.
see, this is a sensible response that can be expounded upon, just be plain, i think american companies can do better in hiring local talent but its a global industry to be honest and companies struggling for global props will always try to cut corners, nothing nefarious, just business, i think its mostly $$ centric but my main beef with the idiots is when people with bs agendas wanna use that as an opportuity to bash foreign blacks but r silent when american talent goes overseas and get works .. its mostly crabs mentality

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how many black american actors are playing british characters? How would black brit actors like idris elba and john boyega feel if black american actors took role for characters that were british street dudes and average black british citizens dealing with racism and social dynamics in england??

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
how many black american actors are playing british characters? How would black brit actors like idris elba and john boyega feel if black american actors took role for characters that were british street dudes and average black british citizens dealing with racism and social dynamics in england??

This is surprising coming from you!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Samuel L Jackson: “There are a lot of black British actors in these movies,” he said in the 2017 radio interview when asked about the movie, Independent reported. “Daniel grew up in a country where they’ve been interracial dating for a hundred years… What would a brother from America have made of that role? I’m sure the director helped, but some things are universal, but [not everything].” :yes:
sam jackson was also very critical of RAPPERS getting roles that he felt trained black ACTORS should have gotten as well. Sam is for black american ACTORS in that argument and anyone who isn't an black american ACTOR shouldn't be getting jobs over those who actually trained for that.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
sam jackson was also very critical of RAPPERS getting roles that he felt trained black ACTORS should have gotten as well. Sam is for black american ACTORS in that argument and anyone who isn't an black american ACTOR shouldn't be getting jobs over those who actually trained for that.

He said that at the same time he was starring in "Shaft" with Busta Rhymes, so..........:dunno:

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
Regina is making sure @Hotlantan , @mcguyver , @mangobob79 , @veritech , @Drayonis , @Hey Julian! and the rest of the non-binary BGOL crew have representation in her projects as well. Yaaaasss sis!

Regina King amends promise to have 50% of women in projects to include non-binary people

Regina King is addressing a statement she made about hiring more women.

In 2019, when King accepted a Golden Globe Award for her performance in If Beale Street Could Talk she promised that moving forward 50% of hires on the projects she produces would be women. But now she is amending her statement to include non-binary people.

“What we were able to accomplish was that well over 50% of our crew were people that did not identify as cis white male,” King said in an interview with Insider.

In her effort to make Hollywood more inclusive, King actually exceeded her promise when she realized that not everyone identifies as male or female.

“From the moment of me making that proclamation, if you will, to us actually shooting [One Night in Miami] it’s not respectful to regard everything as male or female,” said King. “So moving forward, as I do still feel having more women in positions behind the camera is important, I have to go beyond that.”

She admits she signed up for a a tough feat but is committed to it.

According to USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative the number of women taking the director’s seat is increasing but between 2007 to 2019 women of color held less than 1% of directing gigs across 1,300 top films.

“[It’s] a challenge I will continue to try to achieve, even as I make adjustments to what that challenge actually is.”

@KingTaharqa : Isn't it interesting how the anti-ADOS immigrant replacement agenda coincides with the LGBT/non-binary/gender-fluidity?

madgoose

International
International Member
Fuck them blokes and wankers

Steady on ol' boy, you made me spit my tea out.

I think it is a lot easier for a British actor to play an American because your TV/Movies and culture have been exported to us for decades. A lot of Americans cannot comprehend our slang or street language nor the accents and am I not referring to the "One would rather" or the "cor blimey guv'nor" accents, we have a totalaly different style made up of Jamaican, African, Asian influences as well as the British. I am not saying that they could not do it, I just think they woou dfind it hard. Idris Elba spent a lot of time in America before getting the "Stringer Bell" role and can easily swotch between English and American, he is an acomplished versatile actor. Idris Damson (Franklin saint) plays his role very well, I am yet to see him playing a British character. But get in where you fit in, ain't that what you lot say?

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Hey tranny poster, don't mention my name again.

Regina is making sure @Hotlantan , @mcguyver , @mangobob79 , @veritech , @Drayonis , @Hey Julian! and the rest of the non-binary BGOL crew have representation in her projects as well. Yaaaasss sis!

Regina King amends promise to have 50% of women in projects to include non-binary people

Regina King
is addressing a statement she made about hiring more women.

In 2019, when King accepted a Golden Globe Award for her performance in If Beale Street Could Talk she promised that moving forward 50% of hires on the projects she produces would be women. But now she is amending her statement to include non-binary people.

“What we were able to accomplish was that well over 50% of our crew were people that did not identify as cis white male,” King said in an interview withInsider.

In her effort to make Hollywood more inclusive, King actually exceeded her promise when she realized that not everyone identifies as male or female.

“From the moment of me making that proclamation, if you will, to us actually shooting [One Night in Miami] it’s not respectful to regard everything as male or female,” said King. “So moving forward, as I do still feel having more women in positions behind the camera is important, I have to go beyond that.”

According to USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative the number of women taking the director’s seat is increasing but between 2007 to 2019 women of color held less than 1% of directing gigs across 1,300 top films.

“[It’s] a challenge I will continue to try to achieve, even as I make adjustments to what that challenge actually is.”

@KingTaharqa : Isn't it interesting how the anti-ADOS immigrant replacement agenda coincides with the LGBT/non-binary/gender-fluidity?

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

Regina King is addressing a statement she made about hiring more women.

“What we were able to accomplish was that well over 50% of our crew were people that did not identify as cis white male,” King said in an interview with Insider.

Both sides...... :lol:

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Speaking of non-binary :ssshhh:
project...deflect...repeat

1*E5WpETRfKYZzxAfUQm0d1Q.png

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Steady on ol' boy, you made me spit my tea out.

I think it is a lot easier for a British actor to play an American because your TV/Movies and culture have been exported to us for decades. A lot of Americans cannot comprehend our slang or street language nor the accents and am I not referring to the "One would rather" or the "cor blimey guv'nor" accents, we have a totalaly different style made up of Jamaican, African, Asian influences as well as the British. I am not saying that they could not do it, I just think they woou dfind it hard. Idris Elba spent a lot of time in America before getting the "Stringer Bell" role and can easily swotch between English and American, he is an acomplished versatile actor. Idris Damson (Franklin saint) plays his role very well, I am yet to see him playing a British character. But get in where you fit in, ain't that what you lot say?
yeah but you get the point tho.. its easy to say that when you're not the one getting picked over...also you gonna tell me you can't find in america a young black male actor to play the role of south-central LA gangbanger?

Lena Waithe said she wanted to break* a talent to play the role of Queen in Queen and Slim and they were supposed to be two generic black Americans...and in the entirety of young black American male and female actors the only people to qualify came from another country?? OR are they enamored with British actors because of the British "ACTOUR" background plus being able to affect a passable American accent gives them this prestigious perception that a Black American actor from say Detriot just can't have?

*break a talent - to get an unknown actor.

VAiz4hustlaz

BGOL Investor
yeah but you get the point tho.. its easy to say that when you're not the one getting picked over...also you gonna tell me you can't find in america a young black male actor to play the role of south-central LA gangbanger?

Lena Waithe said she wanted to break* a talent to play the role of Queen in Queen and Slim and they were supposed to be two generic black Americans...and in the entirety of young black American male and female actors the only people to qualify came from another country?? OR are they enamored with British actors because of the British "ACTOUR" background plus being able to affect a passable American accent gives them this prestigious perception that a Black American actor from say Detriot just can't have?

Is it just marketing? Does hiring British actors attract more of an international audience? Hollywood hires a lot of white Brits (and Aussies/NZers) to play white American roles as well.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

atleast ure trying to make sensible arguments that can actually be expounded upon