Akon on Black Americans' View of Slavery: 'You Just Gotta Let It Go'

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Oh cool the Akon smear campaign is in full gear.

Lets humiliate him instead of exchanging and educating him.

Cause thats what we do on twitter.
The problem is, is he willing to be educated, or is already set in his way of thinking?
See we are not Jews and people easily shit on us because there is no real consequence for such actions. So you will not see a Nick Canon reversal aka I want to learn tour from someone like Acon.

Last edited:

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Dont finna "find common ground " and educate this bitch nigga that's benefited from Black people directly.

Get all the fuck on bro

That poster is a black immigrant, he still sees the humanity in Akon and feels they share a common bond as black immigrants. It doesnt matter that Akon is a coon.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
He can't educate himself? He's 47 years-old and speaking with authority on this issue.

He is speaking with no authority at all, he was giving his opinion, and showed no signs of being hostile to hearing an opposite opinion.

If you think we've learned everything we need to learn by 47, i have bad news for you.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nobody is telling him how to be black....we're pointing out the basic stupidity and ignorance of what he said. ...and yes, he has every right to his ignorance just like we have every right to point it out and make him own it.

he has the right to his opinion....i agree with some of what he said....

but i already know how the bgol 'blackness' police will react....

im curious what gives any of you the right to tell another man how to be black?

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Smear campaign? The dumb nigga did a video with vlad. :lol:

We dont educate coons. We handle them. What would Dessalines do?

Sorry thats not cooning. Its ok to be just be wrong sometimes.

You out here constantly telling the board that ADOS is not a monolith, but the second someone doesnt think exactly like you he gets labeled a coon.

The question of how do AA move forward in this country has been asked forever and no one single infallible answer has been found yet.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
The problem is, is he willing to be educated, or is already set in his way of thinking?
See we are Jews and people easily shit on us because there is no real consequence for such actions. So you will not see a Nick Canon reversal aka I want to learn tour from someone like Acon.

If all we wanna do is attack and insult him, how will we find out?

I guess Im in wrong for giving black people the benefit of the doubt.

I should be like cacs, or others on this board, and assume the worst in black people right away.

Nah, Im not gonna change. I love my people too much.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's true. I doubt anybody here has woke up any day in the last 20 years and said, hmm, I wonder what Akon thinks about {insert an issue} , lol.
....but on the other hand, because he is a celeb, what he said may be picked up and used by the enemy. it's never good to give the enemy ammunition.

It’s just one celebrities opinion.

That’s it, that’s all.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Sorry thats not cooning. Its ok to be just be wrong sometimes.

You out here constantly telling the board that ADOS is not a monolith, but the second someone doesnt think exactly like you he gets labeled a coon.

He made offensive statements and its more than just ADOS that is bothered by them. Why do yall act like there was no slavery in the Caribbean? There are islanders also calling him a coon it ain't just us. :lol:

The dude runs with Tekashi. :smh: Defend him if you like.

The question of how do AA move forward in this country has been asked forever and no one single infallible answer has been found yet.

This is ignorance and borderline offensive coming from a child of immigrants. Please end the "after slavery, black people in the US did nothing" narratives. :smh:

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
He is speaking with no authority at all, he was giving his opinion, and showed no signs of being hostile to hearing an opposite opinion.

If you think we've learned everything we need to learn by 47, i have bad news for you.

Giving his opinion on a topic he's in no position to give an opinion on. At least not in the American or Western context.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
If all we wanna do is attack and insult him, how will we find out?

I guess Im in wrong for giving black people the benefit of the doubt.

I should be like cacs, or others on this board, and assume the worst in black people right away.

Nah, Im not gonna change. I love my people too much.
The problem is he's from another culture/country, and discussing the history of someone else's history/culture without being educated on it. The burden is not on us to teach him shit. If you are going to talk about it, then atleast learn about it first, or just shut the fuck up about.

Last edited:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is everything

Tell him and others like him to get over colonization. What they fail to realize is they were enslaved too, just in their own country which is worse. We were given nothing and made something out of it.

I wish my African brothers wouldn't drink this damn coon-aid sometimes.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is like a white man from Ireland speaking about the feeling of white people from Italy.

Why is a black man from Africa talking about the feelings of black people from America?

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
Giving his opinion on a topic he's in no position to give an opinion on. At least not in the American or Western context.

We all have opinions from our own context.

I have conversations with Cubans because I dont think the embargo worked for anyone. I think its way past time to lift it no matter who runs the country.

Thats my opinion based on what I know. I could be dead wrong. But Im not trying to be disrespectful for having it.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
We all have opinions from our own context.

I have conversations with Cubans because I dont think the embargo worked for anyone. I think its way past time to lift it no matter who runs the country.

Thats my opinion based on what I know. I could be dead wrong. But Im not trying to be disrespectful for having it.
kumbayah1.jpg

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
The problem is he is from another culture/country, and discussing the history of someone else's history/culture without being educated on it. The burden is not on us to teach him shit. If you are going to talk about it, then atleast learn about it first, or just shut the fuck up about.

Oh ok.

So you have never had an opinion on something happening in a culture that isnt yours?

Jews and the Holocaust?

Palestine vs Israel?

Child labor in China?

Africans and colonization?

Come on man...

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Akon on Black Americans' View of Slavery: 'You Just Gotta Let It Go'

BYJOSHUA ESPINOZA

Akon caught heat this week after he was asked about the way slavery is viewed in Senegal, the West African country where he spent most of his childhood. The 47-year-old artist claimed Senegalese no longer think about slavery because they have "overcome" its horrors, unlike African Americans.

"In Senegal, we've kind of overcome the thought of slavery, we don't even think about it," he said during an interview with VladTV. "The only time we think about it, honestly, is when we're doing tours at Goree Island. Outside of that, people have lived and moved way beyond the slavery concept ..."

Akon then said Black Americans would benefit by simply "letting go" of slavery.

"I think it's the art of just letting the past go and moving towards the future," he continued. "And I think, in the U.S., they have this stigma of just not letting go of the past and blaming the past on every mishap or, you know, disappointment. I think as long as you hold onto that past, there's a lot of weight that you carry with you everywhere you go. It's hard to move forward and move fast when you got a weight on your back. You just gotta let it go."

Akon went on to say that African Americans need to "understand their worth" and accept that American will never make up for their racist history.

"They're not sorry. They don't care. It's obvious," he said, before encouraging Black people to move to Africa. "Do you want to stay here and continued to be treated this way? Or just go back home, where you're not no longer the minority. You actually are the majority, and you control your destiny, your future, and your land ... They just need to go ... America did a good job at brainwashing. The moment you mention Africa, they start shaking. They don't even know why."

Unsurprisingly, Akon's comments drew criticism on social media. You can read some of the reactions below and hear Akon's full comments on slavery above.

@KingTaharqa @Soul On Ice @Megatron X @Amajorfucup :hmm:

Mark 10:16 The other African

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
he has the right to his opinion....i agree with some of what he said....

but i already know how the bgol 'blackness' police will react....

im curious what gives any of you the right to tell another man how to be black?
He got his own angle.

He ain't coonin'...

Somebody remind me what's his name again?

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tell him and others like him to get over colonization. What they fail to realize is they were enslaved too, just in their own country which is worse. We were given nothing and made something out of it.

COONAID????
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

STOLEN for future use!!!

annnnnnnnd

FACTS!!!!!

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
This is like a white man from Ireland speaking about the feeling of white people from Italy.

Why is a black man from Africa talking about the feelings of black people from America?

If you notice, whites do not act in a tribal manner like this PUBLICLY, nor do Asians. You cant get someone from Taiwan to speak on what a North Korean or Vietnamese needs to do publicly. They also dont flatten their lineage and respect each others cultural boundaries.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You are 100% right about this. I know several Asian people and they are very shy about criticizing other Asians.

They do it but it is different than when Blacks do it.

That being said, even though I agree with you I usually stay out of threads like this.

I am no ally to Black Americans when they are on their bullshit. However, I am no ally to Black Africans when they are on their bullshit.

If you notice, whites do not act in a tribal manner like this PUBLICLY, nor do Asians. You cant get someone from Taiwan to speak on what a North Korean or Vietnamese needs to do publicly. They also dont flatten their lineage and respect each others cultural boundaries.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is why I tell Black Americans stop calling yourselves Africans. Africa don't want you.

Call yourselves Black Americans and be proud of it. Y'all aint African no more.

Africa does not mean Black anymore either.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor

Treat him as a lone wolf just like we treat Terry Crews, Charles Barkley, etc.