Akon on Black Americans' View of Slavery: 'You Just Gotta Let It Go'

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Akon on Black Americans' View of Slavery: 'You Just Gotta Let It Go'

BYJOSHUA ESPINOZA

Akon caught heat this week after he was asked about the way slavery is viewed in Senegal, the West African country where he spent most of his childhood. The 47-year-old artist claimed Senegalese no longer think about slavery because they have "overcome" its horrors, unlike African Americans.

"In Senegal, we've kind of overcome the thought of slavery, we don't even think about it," he said during an interview with VladTV. "The only time we think about it, honestly, is when we're doing tours at Goree Island. Outside of that, people have lived and moved way beyond the slavery concept ..."

Akon then said Black Americans would benefit by simply "letting go" of slavery.

"I think it's the art of just letting the past go and moving towards the future," he continued. "And I think, in the U.S., they have this stigma of just not letting go of the past and blaming the past on every mishap or, you know, disappointment. I think as long as you hold onto that past, there's a lot of weight that you carry with you everywhere you go. It's hard to move forward and move fast when you got a weight on your back. You just gotta let it go."

Akon went on to say that African Americans need to "understand their worth" and accept that American will never make up for their racist history.

"They're not sorry. They don't care. It's obvious," he said, before encouraging Black people to move to Africa. "Do you want to stay here and continued to be treated this way? Or just go back home, where you're not no longer the minority. You actually are the majority, and you control your destiny, your future, and your land ... They just need to go ... America did a good job at brainwashing. The moment you mention Africa, they start shaking. They don't even know why."

Unsurprisingly, Akon's comments drew criticism on social media. You can read some of the reactions below and hear Akon's full comments on slavery above.

@KingTaharqa @Soul On Ice @Megatron X @Amajorfucup :hmm:

2missedcalls

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I made my money off black folks too soooo...
tenor.gif

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well here's the problem, AA were freed from bondage and then faced with Jim Crow, after the ending of Jim Crow, faced with Segregation, unfair lending practices, racism, War on Drugs, War on Gangs, Mass Incarcerations, redlining, police brutality, unequal justice system, an unequal education system and a shit load of other institutional constructs that keeps us at the bottom rung. I don't think the Sengalians have to deal with all of that which enables them to grow out of slavery without the attachments to slavery.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
"I think it's the art of just letting the past go and moving towards the future," he continued. "And I think, in the U.S., they have this stigma of just not letting go of the past and blaming the past on every mishap or, you know, disappointment. I think as long as you hold onto that past, there's a lot of weight that you carry with you everywhere you go. It's hard to move forward and move fast when you got a weight on your back. You just gotta let it go."
but we are still being treated the same way we were in the past, today. So it can't be let go, even if we tried.

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
didn't Senegalese tribes profit from trans atlantic slavery? is their system build on oppression and keeping the once enslaved oppressed?

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
didn't Senegalese tribes profit from trans atlantic slavery? is their system build on oppression and keeping the once enslaved oppressed?

Yes they did. And theyve never atoned for it, as he said they still profit off tourism of slave castles. Akon lied about his bid to get on, he admitted his fam did a birtright scam to become citizens, I wouldnt put it past him to hide a slave trading past. He an opp anyway working with Tekashi and asian colonists.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
he has the right to his opinion....i agree with some of what he said....

but i already know how the bgol 'blackness' police will react....

im curious what gives any of you the right to tell another man how to be black?
Some of what he said has merit but he made an awful false equivalency there and glossed over Jim Crow and all that followed as if this is all about slavery....even if he didn't mean it in that way (I don't know how he meant it), it will be used by racists in that way... there is a better way to say what he was trying to say without playing into White supremacists hands....and these kind of statements make it seem like millions of Black Americans haven't moved forward despite numerous obstacles...Akon fucked up...its a shame

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im tellin you Africans dont see themselves as Africans..

If he did, how can he say get over slavery and a few countries

to the north of him in Africa slavery is going on strong as fuck..

Im gonna stay right here and get my just do, one way or the other...

If only he knew true history and wasnt swimming in them

chinese pockets...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Now the part that I AGREE with?

He is RIGHT

Black Americans should have received reparations AGES AGO and CONTINUALLY got passed OVER again and again...

I get his whole...

"you never gonna get the money they gonna fight you tooth and nail your time and energy is better directed at OTHER things etc etc"

but he messed around and f*cked up his whole point

You can't tell these black folks to just let the act of SEEKING REPARATIONS GO...

that just nonsense and SOUNDS like he has an agenda

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

I'm gonna make this article a separate thread just so people will run from it:

Slaves of history
If you descend from slaves in Senegal, your shame is an open secret and your life limited by stigma and disrespect

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Africans don't have the time to focus on slavery is because they are dealing with other shit,more resent shit like aparthieds,colonialism,civil wars,ebola,conflicts,terroism,no economies,political corruption,murder,mayhem to be bothered by something that happened over a 100 years ago.

Akon comes from money and is educated so he didn't have to go through much accept finding his hustle here in the states which he did by doing something BLACK PEOPLE CREATED;Money is his answer but even he's signed on to borrow money from China to build up his country....is that smart?when you know what has happened in your peope's history.....right.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow.... He should have to wear all of what he said around his neck like an albatross. It wasn't even like he made one stupid throwaway comment....dude said a bunch of bullshit that he has obviously been thinking about.