Craig Brewer To Direct Eddie Murphy In ‘Coming 2 America’ UPDATE: Teaser Trailer (12/22)

Good idea or Bad Idea?

• It's about damn time!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Nobody asked for this.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Who fucking cares!

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
PLOT: When Akeem discovers he has a long lost son, he must go to America and bring him back to Zamunda.

Craig Brewer To Direct Eddie Murphy In ‘Coming To America 2’

https://deadline.com/2019/01/coming...wer-directing-dolemite-is-my-name-1202533726/

Dwp4qseUwAA7lUX.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is setting Craig Brewer to direct Coming To America 2, finally bringing to the starting gate the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster comedy. Eddie Murphy is poised to reprise his role as Akeem, the pampered African prince who became bored of potential marriage partners in the kingdom too in awe of him, and who traveled to Queens to go undercover and find a woman with a strong will that he could respect.

Brewer just directed Murphy in Dolemite Is My Name, and the star was eager to work with him again. The female empowerment theme of the original seems timely in today’s climate.

Kenya Barris is rewriting a script by original Coming to America writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing with Kevin Misher and Barris is exec producer.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long lost son, and must return to America to meet his unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda. The intention is to bring back the original cast which includes Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide Semmi; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.

Paramount
There is no start date, but the hope is that production begins in 2019.

“After many years of anticipation, I’m thrilled that Coming to America 2 is officially moving forward,” Murphy said in a statement. “We’ve assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite, and I’m looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen.”

Said Kenya Barris: “Craig’s ability to create a distinct cinematic world with each of his films is not only impressive, but also what made him exactly the voice and vision we needed to bring this story to life. From Hustle and Flow to his work with Eddie onDolemite Is My Name, he never fails to blow me away. He is a true auteur and we couldn’t be more thrilled to have him on board.”

My Name Is Dolemite is wrapped, with script by Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski, and Murphy playing the self-made blaxploitation film star alongside Wesley Snipes, Keegan-Michael Key, Chris Rock, Craig Robinson and T.I. The picture will be released by Netflix.

Brewer is repped by WME and attorney Carlos Goodman, and Murphy is WME, ML Management and Ziffren Brittenham’s Matt Johnson and Skip Brittenham; Barris is CAA, Artists First and attorney Gregg Gellman.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

Last edited:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
They waited too long for this sequel. Plot doesn't make sense. But I'm assuming Eddie wouldn't cosign on no bullshit so we'll see. Just him being back will be enough buzz alone. Throw in my man John Witherspoon for a cameo appearance too. :lol:

muPwJ2.jpg

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dont like the plot.

Long lost son from who?
I’m trying to figure that out too. Maybe it was one of the servants? Did he knock down Patrice on the low while he was trying to get at Lisa? Don’t forget that Patrice was a ho and wasn’t ashamed about it. Or maybe he busted down one of those pageant contestants. Did they bag a random from the club? Who knows. Akeem and Semi were in NY for a long time. Anything could have happened.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Would be better if it was his son who is trying to do the same thing he did and this time we see it from the zumunda point of view

Last time we went with Eddie to America and we saw everything develop
We didn't see James Earl Jones and them side of it

This time Eddie son goes then we follow Eddie as he checks on his son. Loses contact. Decides to go get him with arsenio and they go back to Queens it's changed they run into a few of the ppl from the first as they try to find him
There's more but I'm not gonna type it out just so they can change it to my idea

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Brewer did a brilliant job with "Hustle and Flow" and "Black Snake Moan'. These are two of my favorite movies. I can only imagine how he would recreate Zamunda's dancers.

While I normally hate reboots and late sequals this story has immense potential. for instance, the internet and social media have made people far easier to find than they were in the 1980s. DNA ancestry is accessible to almost anybody. the first hurdle you would have to go through is figuring out why it took so long.

It will be interesting to see how they do it.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Brewer did a brilliant job with "Hustle and Flow" and "Black Snake Moan'. These are two of my favorite movies. I can only imagine how he would recreate Zamunda's dancers.

While I normally hate reboots and late sequals this story has immense potential. for instance, the internet and social media have made people far easier to find than they were in the 1980s. DNA ancestry is accessible to almost anybody. the first hurdle you would have to go through is figuring out why it took so long.

It will be interesting to see how they do it.
Crackas smfh

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hated both of these so my level of confidence in his ability to make a sequel to this classic is now zero.

With the success of Black directors lately, 5 had $100+ million grossing films at the box office in 2018, Eddie could have taken a chance on someone else. I understand that he worked with Brewer on the Dolemite film and probably feels comfortable with him, but still...

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
I'm guessing Kevin Hart will be the son. He's in everything else.

Shit's crazy. No way his father would have allowed a kid to be out there w/o his knowledge. The idea of a long lost son is pretty far fetched IMO.

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Would be better if it was his son who is trying to do the same thing he did and this time we see it from the zumunda point of view

This time Eddie son goes then we follow Eddie as he checks on his son. Loses contact. Decides to go get him with arsenio and they go back to Queens it's changed they run into a few of the ppl from the first as they try to find him
There's more but I'm not gonna type it out just so they can change it to my idea

This idea could work, but then they may come off like Wakanda copier though to some people if they focus on Zummunda. On the flipside they would know people are interested in that Black Panther type of story which is what they may run with here. The American son resents Akeem sort of like Kilmonger.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor

This is fucking good. I think this would be much more fun.

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
He wasn't a virgin when he met her...he had fucked them rose barrow... Him and his father had awhole convo about it

No doubt but the premise is still sortof ccontrary to the character from the original movie who was presented as only coming to Queens in search of a bride and wasn't worried about fucking (which was proven when he turned down her sister.)

A better story line IMO would be that he's now king and his marriage to Lisa has fallen apart resulting in her returning to Queens from Zumunda and Akeem having to return to America to win her back and save his marriage.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
This idea could work, but then they may come off like Wakanda copier though to some people if they focus on Zummunda. On the flipside they would know people are interested in that Black Panther type of story which is what they may run with here. The American son resents Akeem sort of like Kilmonger.

Focus as in on Eddie and arsenio journey to bring him back . All the stuff we didn't see with the first one