Craig Brewer To Direct Eddie Murphy In ‘Coming 2 America’ UPDATE: Teaser Trailer (12/22)

Good idea or Bad Idea?

• It's about damn time!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Nobody asked for this.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Who fucking cares!

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor

Watch Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite in new Coming 2 America trailer

By Derek Lawrence
February 03, 2021 at 09:06 AM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

Put on your Soul Glo, order some McDowell's to-go, and prepare to reunite with Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and Semmi (Arsenio Hall) from the safety of your own home.
On Wednesday, Amazon Prime Video released the first full trailer for Coming 2 America, the long-awaited sequel to John Landis' 1988 comedy classic.
Picking up 30 years later, the new film from Murphy's Dolemite Is My Name collaborator Craig Brewer finds Akeem preparing to take over as king of Zamunda, only to discover that his memorable trip to Queens left the previously unseen Mary (Leslie Jones) pregnant with a son, Lavelle (Jermaine Fowler).

"Lavelle didn't have much growing up, sort of the type of guy who just made what he had work, and the things he had were very minimal," Fowler recently told EW of his character. "So when he finds out that he is the heir to a wealthy throne in Africa, this chip on his shoulder kind of just rolls right off and he's ready to finally take it all in and enjoy the good life that he's been denied for so long."
Joining Fowler and Jones as franchise newcomers are Tracy Morgan, KiKi Layne, and Wesley Snipes, while returning alums include Shari Headley, Paul Bates, John Amos, and James Earl Jones. Plus, Murphy and Hall will once again be taking on multiple roles, including the friendly neighborhood barbershop crew.
CREDIT: AMAZON STUDIOS
"It was probably one of the greatest experiences of my life, being able to watch them come back into these characters," Brewer recently told EW of working with Murphy and Hall. "[Co-writer] Kenya Barris is one of the most powerful men in entertainment, and we're sitting there on set and when Eddie and Arsenio walked into the barbershop as the old barbershop characters, we giggled like school children. [Laughs] We just dropped all sense of maturity and decorum. It was like, 'Can you believe that we are doing this? Can you believe we're at the barbershop? There's Clarence [Murphy] for God's sake!' And it was just infectious. The crew grew up on Coming to America so they're trying to be professional but they're just trying to bite their cheeks so they don't smile the whole time. And you've got to remember that Eddie and Arsenio haven't done this in more than 30 years, and now they're just cracking jokes and having a blast — and this is even after they've been in eight hours of makeup."

Coming 2 America arrives March 5, 2021 on Amazon Prime Video

This trailer gives me a little more hope.

I'm not expecting it to match the first one but I'm just hoping it isn't terrible.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall explain why a white actor was cast in ‘Coming to America’
Arsenio Hall, left, and Eddie Murphy star in “Coming 2 America.”
(Amazon Studios)
By CHRISTI CARRASSTAFF WRITER
MARCH 2, 2021 11:58 AM PT

While reminiscing about working on “Coming to America,” Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall divulged telling new details about the casting process for their 1988 comedy classic.

When TV host Jimmy Kimmel asked them Monday about comic Louie Anderson‘s involvement in the franchise, Murphy and Hall revealed that Anderson was tapped because Paramount Pictures insisted on including a white actor in the cast. In the film, Anderson plays Maurice, an employee at fast-food restaurant McDowell’s.

“I love Louie, but I think we were forced to put Louie in it,” Hall said on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” “We were forced to put a white person.”
"[T]he whole cast is Black — and this was back in the ‘80s — so [Paramount] was like, ‘We have to have a white person! There has to be a white person in the movie,’” Murphy added. “So it was, ‘Who’s the funniest white guy around?’ And Louie, we knew him. We was cool with him. So that’s how Louie got in the movie.”

According to Hall, Paramount presented them with a list of three white performers and said, “Who would you rather work with?” Asked by Kimmel if he remembered the other two options, Hall laughed and said, “Oh, yeah. But I can’t say.”
On Feb. 24, Anderson responded to a similar anecdote Murphy shared with NBC’s “Today” show.
“Wait what?” he tweeted, suggesting he was finding out the truth behind his casting for the first time — or cracking a dry joke about it.

Anderson appears again alongside the comedy duo in the highly anticipated sequel, “Coming 2 America,” for which Murphy and Hall reprised their beloved roles as Prince Akeem and Semmi, respectively.

New to the royal saga are comedians Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan, who was originally cast in the follow-up as Prince Akeem’s son before it was decided that Morgan, 52, was too old to play the onscreen child of Murphy, 59.

“We wrote two, three versions of the script, and then we started thinking ... ‘Will people believe that Tracy is me and Leslie’s child?” Murphy said. “He looks like he’s our age. And then we started thinking about it differently.”

“And Jimmy, I would drop hints because I never liked that idea,” Hall added. “I love Tracy. I wanted him in it. But I would say to Eddie, ‘Hey, maybe for the third one, Morgan Freeman can be your son.’”

Kimmel also teased Hall about his stint on “The Celebrity Apprentice,” asking him if he still kept in touch with his “celebrity mentor,” Donald Trump. (In 2012, Hall won the reality competition series’ fifth season.)

“We don’t talk a lot,” Hall joked, before recalling when Trump “got mad” because he allegedly failed to mention the former president in an interview.

“He took the interview and he wrote, in Sharpie, ‘No Trump,’ and he photographed it and emailed it back to me,” Hall said. “The strangest transmission I’ve ever had.”

“That’s what I wrote on my ballot in November, actually,” Kimmel quipped.

“Coming 2 America” debuts Friday on Amazon Prime Video.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall explain why a white actor was cast in ‘Coming to America’
Arsenio Hall, left, and Eddie Murphy star in “Coming 2 America.”
(Amazon Studios)
By CHRISTI CARRASSTAFF WRITER
MARCH 2, 2021 11:58 AM PT

While reminiscing about working on “Coming to America,” Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall divulged telling new details about the casting process for their 1988 comedy classic.

When TV host Jimmy Kimmel asked them Monday about comic Louie Anderson‘s involvement in the franchise, Murphy and Hall revealed that Anderson was tapped because Paramount Pictures insisted on including a white actor in the cast. In the film, Anderson plays Maurice, an employee at fast-food restaurant McDowell’s.

“I love Louie, but I think we were forced to put Louie in it,” Hall said on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” “We were forced to put a white person.”
"[T]he whole cast is Black — and this was back in the ‘80s — so [Paramount] was like, ‘We have to have a white person! There has to be a white person in the movie,’” Murphy added. “So it was, ‘Who’s the funniest white guy around?’ And Louie, we knew him. We was cool with him. So that’s how Louie got in the movie.”

According to Hall, Paramount presented them with a list of three white performers and said, “Who would you rather work with?” Asked by Kimmel if he remembered the other two options, Hall laughed and said, “Oh, yeah. But I can’t say.”
On Feb. 24, Anderson responded to a similar anecdote Murphy shared with NBC’s “Today” show.
“Wait what?” he tweeted, suggesting he was finding out the truth behind his casting for the first time — or cracking a dry joke about it.

Anderson appears again alongside the comedy duo in the highly anticipated sequel, “Coming 2 America,” for which Murphy and Hall reprised their beloved roles as Prince Akeem and Semmi, respectively.

New to the royal saga are comedians Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan, who was originally cast in the follow-up as Prince Akeem’s son before it was decided that Morgan, 52, was too old to play the onscreen child of Murphy, 59.

“We wrote two, three versions of the script, and then we started thinking ... ‘Will people believe that Tracy is me and Leslie’s child?” Murphy said. “He looks like he’s our age. And then we started thinking about it differently.”

“And Jimmy, I would drop hints because I never liked that idea,” Hall added. “I love Tracy. I wanted him in it. But I would say to Eddie, ‘Hey, maybe for the third one, Morgan Freeman can be your son.’”

Kimmel also teased Hall about his stint on “The Celebrity Apprentice,” asking him if he still kept in touch with his “celebrity mentor,” Donald Trump. (In 2012, Hall won the reality competition series’ fifth season.)

“We don’t talk a lot,” Hall joked, before recalling when Trump “got mad” because he allegedly failed to mention the former president in an interview.

“He took the interview and he wrote, in Sharpie, ‘No Trump,’ and he photographed it and emailed it back to me,” Hall said. “The strangest transmission I’ve ever had.”

“That’s what I wrote on my ballot in November, actually,” Kimmel quipped.

“Coming 2 America” debuts Friday on Amazon Prime Video.

Cant wait to see it. I’m not expecting anything. I just want to see it.

Paramount stay on that bullshit though

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
10 Thoughts I Had about Coming 2 America—The Sequel to the Best Black Movie of All Time

Panama Jackson
50 minutes ago

ur3sa7rwiksfcjssgaio.png
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...ng-2-america-the-sequel-to-1846447710#replies

It’s been almost a week since Coming 2 America dropped on Amazon Prime Video. The movie–highly anticipated by most of African America since it was announced—is the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster, Coming to America. I, a member of African America, highly anticipated it because the original movie is among my favorite movies of all time, if not my favorite. I’ve written about it several times, even calling it the Best Black Movie of All Time (which I still think is true). Needless to say, I was planning to watch it as soon as I was able. Thursday evening, I saw somebody mention on Facebook that Coming 2 America was available and off I went to hit “Watch now.” Instead of writing a review—social media has provided MORE than enough of those—I will offer up 10 thoughts I had about the sequel.

1. There was no way this movie was going to be as good as the first one. And if I’m being honest, I’m not even sure how “good” the first movie is. What I do know is that the amount of love I have for the first one renders me entirely incapable of being impartial about it. Because of that love there is literally no way this was going to live up to unless it literally became the greatest movie of all time of ever in the history of the galaxy. And that, it was not. With that being said, I found it to be highly entertaining once I got over any expectations I had, which it failed to meet but I probably shouldn’t have had in the first place. What I’m saying is this; if you were disappointed in this movie that was clearly only made for the fans of the original, then that’s a “you” problem, not a movie problem. Fight your moms, bro.

2. The first time I watched it, I literally turned it off after the first 20 minutes because of how ridiculous the premise of the movie was. I was actually sad that of all the potential stories they could have come up with—and I believe they could have come up with 100 better premises for this movie—the one that was greenlit was Akeem being date-raped, basically, by Leslie Jones’ character. For starters, I didn’t even believe that Akeem was a virgin (and lowkey still find that plotline hard to believe—he never once smashed a bather??) though I realize this was one of those “finally answered questions from the first movie” for many. Either way, I re-watched it of course and once I got over that the rest of the movie was fine in the same over-the-top enjoyable ways as the first.

3. I cannot tell you how enjoyable each of the nods to the first movie were to me. McDowell’s, and the fact that they’re still jacking McDonald’s ideas, made me smile. The fact that we found out that Akeem’s first non-wife is STILL jumping around and barking like a dog is just cruel, but way to pay it back. And I literally laughed and smiled from ear to ear at the return of Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate, one of the greatest bands in all of Black Music History. The last 5 minutes of the movie made everything before it entirely worth it for my heart.

4. Despite the fact that Nextdooria is literally the stupidest, laziest name for a country ever and the writers should be ashamed that they decided upon that—seriously—Wesley Snipes was a hoot, even if his role and presence seemed entirely contrived and WAY too easy to negotiate out of. Also, I know folk were like “why was Rotimi even there if he had no real lines?” Me though, I thought he nailed that part. Same with everybody who was in it with barely a speaking role but was just there to be there. Morgan Freeman, Dikembe Motumbo, Michael Blackson, Rick Ross, etc. Shit, I wish they would have called me; I would have been there in a minute.

5. Even though the premise was sus, I did find Jermaine Fowler, Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan to be highly entertaining. And that’s the first time I’ve ever really enjoyed a Leslie Jones performance. I thought she and Shari Headley played off one another well and frankly, she was doing her thing in every scene.

6. It was really good to see Eddie and Arsenio on screen together again even if both of them seemed a little bit too much like limp versions of the original characters.

7. I didn’t mention this before because they need their own segment: The barbers at My-T-Sharp need a television show. “I had a dog named King” took me OUT. I’d watch that show all day everyday. It was so nice to see that crew again and they’re still sharp (no pun intended) and funny and their time on screen was worth every single minute they got.

8. If I’m Prince Levelle Johnson, I’m running off with my barber too; she was bad bad. And Teyona Taylor was bad bad. But yeah, still.

9. Could we get a stat count on how many former princes were killed in the test of trying to procure the whisker of a lion? SOMEBODY had to die in that endeavor, right? I’m not Zamundan, but King Akeem should probably do an audit on odd and archaic traditions since he’s seeing the light on his daughter becoming Queen and ruler of Zamunda when he dies

10. James Earl Jones is a national treasure. I laughed so hard every time he told Akeem to kill Semmi.