Marvel Ant-Man & Wasp Official Movie Discussion Thread Update: Quantumania SPOILER REVIEWS!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Inside Out’ & ‘Ant-Man’ Reach New Global Box Office Milestones

Disney hit a couple of new benchmarks this weekend with films from Pixar and Marvel. Inside Out handily crossed $750M in global box office while Ant-Man legged it over $400M. Both pics have had a staggered rollout over the summer and into the fall and continue to do strong numbers as they reach new markets. And, China is on deck for both in October.

As Inside Out rolls towards its final international releases, the thoughtful performer struck an emotional chord in Italy this frame. Opening as the biggest Pixar debut ever in the country, it grossed an estimated $6M and is the clear No. 1.

Overall, the weekend was good for $10.76M worldwide — $9.8M from international with 87% of the offshore marketplace having opened. This takes the global cume to $761.7M with $352.9M domestic and $408.8M international to date. Now in its 14th week of release, it’s currently in 34 territories.

It also enjoyed a joyful return to No. 1 in its 4th Sweden and Finland frames. In the UK, its biggest offshore market, it is No. 5 in the 9th weekend with a cumulative $58.1M. The Pete Docter-helmed Inside Out will become the No. 3 all-time highest grossing Pixar title in the UK this week, behind Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 2; and the No. 2 original IP animated title ever, behind Frozen. Germany and China are on deck for next month (October 1 and 6, respectively). If they perform on par with Frozen, Inside Out could add another $100M from just those two alone.

Meanwhile, Ant-Man suited up in Japan and Greece in the film’s last international bows before going to China on October 16.

The Disney/Marvel pic, directed by Peyton Reed and starring Paul Rudd, snatched $4.14M for the frame, its 10th, with $3.2M from 11 overseas territories, pushing it past $400M global.
Japan was a solid start at No. 1 amongst Western movies with $1.7M. That outpaces both the openings of Captain America 2 and Thor 2. International box office is now $223.8M with $117.6M for a worldwide cume of $401.4M. The top markets are the UK ($25.3M), Korea ($18.9M) and Mexico ($15.1M).

mark115

Rising Star
Registered
Can someone post the second end credit scene? walked out after mid credit and can't find it on google or youtube.
I would rate this movie in the bottom 3 of MCU. I liked both Hulk's better. I give it a B-. 3D could've been
better. More 3D during Yellow Jacket battles.

This

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

It is FAR from the best...

but I think we grading on a curve because they were able to successfully do a super hero film in another GENRE...

which bodes well for all future films to come.

They all can't survive under the 500 million gross pressure.

This movie's success allows for smaller more unique and different superhero films like comedy horror suspense sci fi etc.

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace
Just got back from seeing it.

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. Though I had issues with Black and Latino characters being used as "Comic Criminal Relief". That shit's been done to death already. And The Falcon being used as comic relief also.

But loved all the easter eggs. Corey Stoll and Evangeline Lilly were awesome. The SFX and macro-photography were greatly done.

I would have had the same response as Lang seeing all those ants close up and shit for the first time. And I was waiting for a roach to crawl out of that bath tub when Lang shrank for the first time.

When Dude went "Sub-Atomic and into The Quantum Realm, I though he would discover Jan,
But I would have screamed in that theater if these guys appeared...

f054acabbaa820100ca9bfc439bdd4b7.jpg

And there's no way in HELL the rest of the family didn't know that Cassie's "dog" was under the dinner table getting scraps. My ASS would have been out of that house so fast...:eek::eek:

Or maybe they all just accepted it already. :smh::smh:

Still...

I did spent a few moments thinking what Edgar Wright's take would have been like had he stayed on to direct.
Screamed?
I wouldn't have been able to as I would have passed out with a tear streaming down my smiling face in complete shock & awe.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
1ad0ffff8c06811fb2db929c300136ec

This October, the smallest hero with the biggest heart is back! But is he still a hero? Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1 – the brand-new series from the red-hot creative team of Nick Spencer & Ramon Rosanas! Scott Lang was once a down-on-his-luck divorced ex-con – until he stole size altering technology from world renowned scientist Hank Pym in order to save his daughter’s life. It’s been a long road for Scott, turning over a new leaf and becoming a hero in his own right as Ant-Man. But when a curveball completely upends Scott’s entire life, will he continue to be a hero? Or is that the push he needs to return to his life of crime? Find out this October when Spencer & Rosanas bring you THE ASTONISHING ANT-MAN #1!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Watch: Michael Peña steals this exclusive 'Ant-Man' Blu-ray trailer

Michael Peña steals most of his scenes in the Marvel superhero movie Ant-Man, so of course he pulls a heist on this exclusive trailer for the flick's in-home release on digital platforms and the Disney Movies Anywhere app on Nov. 17 and Blu-ray/DVD Dec. 8.

An exclusive trailer for the in-home release of the superhero film "Ant-Man." Disney/Marvel

In character as his excitable chatterbox Luis, a part of the ex-con bunch that helps Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) nab some high tech stuff in order to save the world, Peña runs down the special features including gag reels (with lots of Rudd dancing in his Ant-Man suit), deleted scenes, a look at the shrinking scenes and making-of featurettes, including how director Peyton Reed put together Luis and the rest of his "super-fly, super-handsome crew of delightful gentlemen."

There's also an audio commentary with Reed and Rudd, but don't wait! You can hear the director talking about his superhero film — which is getting a sequel with Ant-Man and the Wasp, coming in summer 2018 — on this special episode of USA TODAY's The Mothership podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/the-mothership/interview-ant-man-director-peyton-reed

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/215144403&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<object id="flashObj" width="640" height="390" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isSlim=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=4560731852001&playerID=2207682275001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6Fnwgpz2JFHz_Jerf-MHxK_Ad&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isSlim=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=4560731852001&playerID=2207682275001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6Fnwgpz2JFHz_Jerf-MHxK_Ad&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="640" height="390" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Box Office: ‘Ant-Man’ Scores Massive China Opening, ‘Crimson Peak’ Sinks Overseas

Chinese audiences didn’t seem to mind waiting three months to see “Ant-Man.” The comic book movie about a hero with the powers of an insect belied its name to open to a huge $43.2 million in the People’s Republic this weekend.

That marks the second-largest opening for a Disney and Marvel release, trailing “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” which kicked off its run last summer with a massive $156 million five-day debut. “Ant-Man’s” mighty start easily secured the film the top slot on the foreign box office charts and pushed its global haul to $454.8 million.

The picture was not as rosy for “Crimson Peak.” The haunted house film flopped domestically, picking up $12.8 million, and it was only slightly more successful overseas. Its $13.4 million bow didn’t even crack the top five, and makes it unlikely that the picture, a passion project for director Guillermo del Toro, will be able to earn back its $55 million production cost. Legendary Entertainment financed and produced the film with Universal handling distribution.

Fox’s “The Martian” continued to attract big crowds around the world, snagging a second place finish with a $37 million global gross. The adventure film about a stranded astronaut (Matt Damon) is directed by Ridley Scott and has now made $319.2 million worldwide. At this pace, it should have no trouble crossing the $400 million mark, particularly given that it has yet to open in China, the world’s second-biggest market for film.

Third place went to Sony’s “Hotel Transylvania 2” with a $30.6 million haul. The animated sequel has now earned $267.5 million globally since opening last month. The studio is optimistic it will surpass the first film’s $358.4 million worldwide gross.

The top five was rounded out by the Chinese comedy “Goodbye Mr. Loser” with $22 million and the Warner Bros. fantasy flop “Pan” with $14.4 million, pushing their totals to $184 million and $72.8 million, respectively. Next week marks “Pan’s” opening in China and with it the best chance for the $150 million production to stop some of the bleeding.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Box Office: 'Ant-Man' Tops $500 Million Worldwide. Can Marvel Be Saved?

As of today, Ant-Man has officially crossed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office. The Marvel movie is on a terrific run in China, where it has grossed $86.4 million in its first 12 days, and it crossed the magical half-billion mark yesterday. It has earned $179m domestic thus far off a $57m debut, making it one of Marvel’s leggier films.

Ant-Man is Walt Disney DIS +0.87% fourth film to cross $500m worldwide in 2015, with at least two likely contenders (The Good Dinosaur and The Force Awakens) still to go for the year. With Ant-Man and the Wasp scheduled for 2018, and with Peyton Reed apparently returning for the sequel, the film can no longer remotely be discussed in terms of being a flop or a disappointment. Well, call it whatever you want, but you’d just sound silly.

The film is the ninth Marvel Cinematic Universe movie to top $500m and the seventh consecutive such picture to do so. For those keeping score, Iron Man ($585m) and Iron Man 2 ($625m) crossed accordingly with the in between movie, The Incredible Hulk, falling way short with just $263m back in June of 2008. Thor and Captain America earned $449m and $371m worldwide respectively in 2011, during which time, by the way ,Thor‘s worldwide take was the biggest for any comic book superhero adaptation not starring Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, Wolverine, or Peter Parker. Of course 2012 brought The Avengers and its $1.5 billion cume, and everything thus far has topped at least $600m worldwide over the last six films.

So yeah, Ant-Man is the first since Captain America not to top $600m worldwide. How will Marvel recover? In all seriousness, there is value to a small budget film snagging comparably smaller grosses. Ant-Man cost just $130 million to produce and so its $500m (and counting) total gives it nearly 4x its budget in theatrical alone. Considering the low-level nature of the character and the smaller-scale nature of the story, that it made as much as it did is a testament to the Marvel brand. Since I like to talk about Marvel being the live-action version of Pixar studios, we can think of Ant-Man as their Cars. It’s not quite a mega hit, but it’s a big hit and it only looks smaller because their studio has been on a hit streak of late.

Ant-Man was Marvel’s first solo origin story movie since The First Avenger, so it’s quite possible that we’re seeing what a Marvel movie that isn’t a sequel to a popular original or something wholly unique in the marketplace during a weak season (Guardians of the Galaxy was something of a “this is the one you’ve been waiting for” late summer rescue) is going to play like. While Phase Two was heavy on sequels, Phase Three has a bunch of “origin story first time at bat” movies. So point being, let’s not go nuts over the next few years if the likes of Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel end up earning less worldwide than, for example, Thor: The Dark World ($642m).

We really don’t know what the median expectations for Marvel origin story movies are in a post-Avengers world since Phase Two was mostly sequels and one outright fluke in Guardians of the Galaxy. And yeah, Spider-Man is the wildcard of Phase Three, but that’s a whole separate post. Maybe Ant-Man really is “rock bottom” for Marvel at this point in time, just as $521m was “rock bottom” for Pixar during their 2002-2009 run of original gems. Or maybe we really will see Marvel movies in Phase 3, the non-sequels of course, that do pull in numbers closer to Thor than Thor: The Dark World. But as of now, Ant-Man was something of a worst-case scenario for them in that it wasn’t heavily anticipated, battled bad buzz and the preordained judgment of what another director’s version could have been, a smaller-scale scenario, and landing in the middle of a summer already filled with mega hits.

And it still topped $500 million worldwide, on a comparably low $130m budget no less.

Here’s the rub: If Marvel is really going to be doing its thing for years on end, with Phase 4 and Phase 8 and Phase 28, we can’t expect every single Marvel release to reach top-tier box office success. This is especially true if we want them to experiment and dabble in different genres or play with really obscure characters or perhaps hire quirkier directors. Ant-Man is neither a giant flop nor a giant hit. It is a solid ground rule double, and Marvel needs to be allowed a few of those depending on the project and the budget. And if they make a relatively solid crowdpleaser like Ant-Man that brings said characters into the MCU and sets them up for a bigger/better/more successful sequel, then that’s how it will work.

:yes:
I have little doubt that Ant-Man and the Wasp, which will hopefully fully confront Marvel’s female problem instead of just dance around it as a metaphor, will make a bit more money than Ant-Man. And I have little doubt that, however Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther are received, that their inclusion in the various team-up events and stand-alone sequels (think Hulk teaming with Thor in Thor: Ragnarok) will make those films into bigger events than they otherwise would be if it were just the same handful of heroes yet again. And as a box office watcher, I will be fascinated to see how this new batch of solo films perform compared to each other and compared to the likes of Ant-Man and the first Thor.

If the pundit class at large wants to declare anything under $625m worldwide to be a flop going forward, well that just gives me the opportunity for more sarcastically negative headlines like the one above. But we’re in truly uncharted territory here, both in terms of franchise building itself and specifically the Marvel Universe as it stands. Grab the popcorn, because the next couple years are going to be fun.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Ant-Man - 180 mil Domestic ...517 Mil total

Captain America: The First Avenger _177 Mil Dometsic ...370 Mil total

Thor - 181 Mil Domestic ...450 Mil total

check the numbers...i dont know why people talking about this movie like it failed or didnt do numbers...

compared to the other for lack of a better term B lister hero`s ( captain america is really an A lister...) it did really well...:yes:

when the 2nd one drop.. Ant-Man and the Wasp 2018 ....it`s gonna do way better like the Cap & Thor did....:cool:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ant-Man And The Wasp Bringing A Key Figure Back For The Sequel

Ant-Man may be Marvel’s tiniest superhero, but last year he made a big debut on the silver screen. After earning mostly positive reviews and making a solid amount of money, Marvel announced Ant-Man and the Wasp for 2018. As the title suggests,Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lily will reprise their Scott Lang and Hope van Dyne roles, respectively, and Michael Douglas will likely be back as Hank Pym. Behind the scenes, Peyton Reed will direct again; Rudd, Gabriel Ferrari, and Andrew Barrer were confirmed to pen the sequel; and now we can count on Ant-Man script contributor Adam McKay to return as well.

Adam McKay, writer and director of comedies like Anchorman and Stepbrothers, informed Nerdist at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival he’ll be involved with Ant-Man and the Wasp. In his words: We’ve been talking to Marvel actually. We just talked to them the other day, and it looks like I will be involved. I don’t know if it’s gonna be right from page one. But it looks like I will definitely be involved. There you go. There’s a little headline for the fanboys!

After original director Edgar Wright departed Ant-Man in May 2014 due to creative differences, Adam McKay entered negotiations to replace him, but dropped out soon afterwards. Instead, he rewrote the screenplay with Paul Rudd, and their changes included adding different characters and new action beats, while also making sure it felt more connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Gabriel Ferrari and Andrew Barrer were later called in to make further revisions, and the result was what moviegoers saw in theaters last July.

McKay expressed interest in helping script Ant-Man and the Wasp on several occasions, and now fans can take comfort knowing he’ll be participating to some degree.

With Ant-Man and the Wasp still two years away, details are sparse on what to expect. However, Adam McKay’s return is further indication that Marvel is bringing back much of the creative talent from the first movie to give the sequel a familiar feel. By all accounts, McKay enjoyed working with Marvel the first time, so participating again should be enjoyable for him. It remains to be seen whether McKay will be one of the main group of writers or if he’ll be called in to rewrite it, but he’s already spoken with Paul Rudd about ideas for the movie, so clearly making Ant-Man and the Wasp a good story is important to him.

Ant-Man and the Wasp hits theaters on July 6, 2018, but Marvel fans can see Scott Lang participate in Captain America: Civil War this May. As for Adam McKay, his latest movie, The Big Short, is up for five Academy Awards, with him specifically being nominated for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Ant-Man and the Wasp': Director Peyton Reed Talks Iconic Comic-Book Images, Female Lead

Readers who have been following our coverage of all things Marvel will know that amongst my very favorite films that have been adapted from a Marvel property,Peyton Reed‘s Ant-Man ranks very high on the list, alongside weirdly insightful, tremendously entertaining works like Iron Man 3, Sam Raimi‘s Spider-Man, andGuardians of the Galaxy. The reaction to Reed’s film has been mixed for the most part, but the film, which stars Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, who becomes the titular resizable hero, made quite a lot of money. As such, a second movie was given the green light, and much of the same creative team seems to be back for the sequel,Ant-Man and the Wasp, which is currently slated for a 2018 release date, following the massive Avengers: Infinity Wars – Part 1.

Whatever the naysayers, Ant-Man was handed a Saturn Award this week for best comic adaptation, and it gave Reed a chance to drop a few tidbits about what we should expect from Ant-Man and the Wasp. First, he confirmed that the film will deal directly with the aftermath of Captain America: Civil War, which ended with him being released from super-jail by good ol’ Steve Rogers (Chris Evans). That, however, could be tricky if he makes an appearance in Infinity War – Part 1, but this is the kind of issue that the Marvel writers rooms live for, finding a way to convincingly thread all these characters into all these different storylines and adventures. Even if time travel must be utilized, it will somehow work out in the long run, I’m sure.

Speaking with Modern Myth Media, he went on to talk about how Evangeline Lilly‘s Wasp will figure into the new narrative. Here’s what he had to say:

“It’s something we’re excited about. For me as a comic nerd, I always thought of Ant-Man and Wasp as a team and that’s a lot of what the second movie is really about is how they work together, what their personal and professional relationships are like. To show her finally fully formed in this movie is really exciting. We really get to introduce this character into that universe. I mean we’ve introduced the character, but we haven’t seen her with her full power set and everything, so to me she’s not a supporting character in this movie. It’s every bit as much her movie as it is Scott Lang’s.”

He followed that up by discussing how he decided what parts of the comics, both in the original run, the characters’ appearances in the Avengers comics, and Nick Spencer‘s latest run of Ant-Man. Here’s what he had to say about that:

“I’m cutting a wide swath on that stuff. I go back to early, early Avengers stuff and all the way up to the Nick Spencer stuff now. I just sort of devour it all. And really in terms of maybe even more than story stuff, just looking at imagery and for me what were iconic images and how we can squeeze those into the movie.”

Beyond that, the director commented there was a “fighting chance” that the sequel will also bring back in Lang’s gang of thieves, most prominently represented by the rapper T.I. and character actor Michael Peña. It’s also interesting to think about a film focused on a one-on-one partnership between heroes and presumable lovers, which could bring out both the more comical and dramatically rich elements of Reed’s past work. We shall see, but everything I’m hearing makes me even more impatient to see this movie that is exactly two years away from being released.

Image via Marvel

Image via Marvel Studios

Image via Marvel Studios

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Following an impressive $519 million haul at the box office, Marvel didn’t hesitate to green-light an Ant-Man sequel. Unfortunately, fans will have to wait until the summer of 2018, which means we’re still months and months away from seeing what the character’s next adventure will be.

While it’ll be a long time until production gets underway, actor Paul Rudd did say that a treatment for the story has already been turned in.

Speaking with Entertainment Tonight, Rudd provided an update on the project’s status:

We’ve been coming up with the story, just turned in a treatment, but it’s so preliminary. We’ll see. We have an idea of what it might look like but it could change a lot from where we’re at now.

A treatment is typically the step before a screenplay, so plenty of writing still needs to be done. If Marvel doesn’t like the treatment that was turned in, then it’ll be back to thedrawing board for Rudd and writing partner Judd Apatow, who also contributed to the first movie.

Everything is still in the very early stages but chances are we’ll see Rudd’s Ant-Man show up in other Marvel movies before his next solo bow. Ant-Man and the Wasp is scheduled to hit theaters on July 6, 2018.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/11/paul-rudd-provides-tiny-ant-man-and-the-wasp-update/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
18-ant-man.w710.h473.jpg

Marvel Dropped Some Juicy Reveals About Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp

On a trip through the Marvel Studios offices Monday, journalists were shown scenes and goodies from several of the studio’s upcoming comic-book films, including Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, and Spider-Man: Homecoming. You’ll get to see all three of those movies in theaters within the next year, but Marvel even showed us concept art drafted for films beyond that, including Avengers: Infinity War (out May 4, 2018), Ant-Man and the Wasp (arriving July 6, 2018), and a brand-new origin story, Captain Marvel, which has set Brie Larson to play the titular superhero but isn’t due until March 8, 2019.

Our perusal of Ant-Man and the Wasp proved to be the most revealing, in more ways than one. Director Peyton Reed, who helmed the first Ant-Man, walked us through a wall of concept art for the soon-to-shoot sequel that hinted at the new film’s even bigger concept: Inventor Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), who bequeathed his incredible shrinking suit to Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), has now advanced his size-altering technology to the point that “it’s not just the suit that’s the vessel for shrinking and growing,” Reed told us.

Indeed, in the world of Ant-Man and the Wasp, it seems like anything is fair game for a seismic shift: We saw one keyframe where a van full of people had been shrunk down to the point where a dog was running around with it in its mouth like a toy car, and another shot where centipede-type creatures had been blown up to a massive, city-threatening length. Lang’s Ant-Man was still able to commandeer different insects in his tiniest form, but blown up to the same giant size he unleashed in Captain America: Civil War, he used his body in one piece of concept art to bridge a long and perilous chasm, letting cars drive over his arms and shoulders without falling into the abyss below.

Reed also showed us Ant-Man’s new suit, which doesn’t look dramatically different from his original or Civil War look but blends the best elements of both, as well as two iterations of the flying Wasp suit that will be worn by Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) in the sequel. There was also a conspicuous piece of concept art detailing the original Wasp suit worn by Hope’s lost mother, Janet Van Dyne, which we glimpsed briefly in flashback form during the first Ant-Man. In that film, we learned that Janet shrunk herself down to a level so tiny that she disappeared into a quantum realm, so it’s natural to expect that a future Ant-Man movie — likely this sequel — might involve a search for her.

I pointed to the glossy rendering of Janet’s suit. “We’ll see this one again, won’t we?” I asked Reed.

He couldn’t divulge that but instead laughed loudly, which felt like a hint. “Only time will tell,” Reed teased.

Good News: Marvel’s Commitment to Gratuitous Shirtless Scenes Is Alive and Well
Hanging on the wall right by Janet Van Dyne were several illustrations of Brie Larson as Captain Marvel, though Marvel executive and producer Jeremy Latcham cautioned that “by the time the Captain Marvel movie comes out, whether she’ll be wearing that exact costume … who knows?” He explained that Marvel Studios will often commission long-lead art to show to potential directors meeting with the studio, but it would be a surprise if the character’s final look changed that much, since the concept art effectively translated the blue jumpsuit with red accents that Carol Danvers, Larson’s iteration of Captain Marvel, historically wears in the comic books.

The most exciting piece of concept art generated for the film showed Captain Marvel fighting two giant robotic baddies, one fist about to clank against metal, the other held in reserve and readying a fiery energy blast. I asked Latcham if he’d sent Larson the concept art to get her hyped.

“Oh, dude,” he replied, giddy. “Not only have we sent it to her, but there’s a video of her seeing it. You guys probably won’t be seeing it anytime soon, but she was super-psyched.”

Expect the studio to announce a director soon. Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has been meeting with directors for the better part of a year, but according to a chatty Reed, they’ve finally settled on a helmer he wasn’t permitted to name.

And then, opposite a wall that featured all those heroes, we saw concept art of Thanos from Avengers: Infinity War. Josh Brolin’s purple baddie has been pulling the strings since the first Avengers movie, though aside from two brief scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy, he’s mostly been relegated to Marvel’s post-credit scenes. That will change during this next Avengers team-up, where Thanos finally leaves his comic throne to fight the Guardians, the Avengers, and all of the newer recruits like Doctor Strange and Black Panther.

In the keyframe we saw, Thanos wore a shit-eating smirk, a sleeveless mauve waistcoat, and some pretty practical pants and boots. Behind him, an out-of-focus spire jutted out at a Pisa-like angle: Had he leveled a metropolitan city on Earth, or simply decorated an outer-space area in an awfully dangerous way? It wasn’t easy to tell, but it felt fitting that the illustration was placed so that he was staring down concept art of Ant-Man, the Wasp, and Captain Marvel. If the Avengers want to take down the big purple guy, they’ll surely need all of that new trio’s special talents.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New Cast Announced For Marvel's ANT-MAN AND THE WASP, including a former Catwoman!
Published at: July 22, 2017, 8:22 p.m. CST by quint

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Lots of news is pouring out of the Marvel panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, so forgive the short but sweet nature of this quick post.

First big reveal was that a few notable names have been cast for Peyton Reed's sequel to Ant-Man, titled appropriately enough Ant-Man and The Wasp, including none other than former Catwoman herself, Ms. Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet Van Dyne!

michellepfeifferjanetvandyneannounce_big.jpg

Also in the cast is Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Bill Foster, also known as Black Goliath in the comics.

lawrencefishburneantmansddcannounce_large.jpg

Hannah John-Kamen was also announced as Ghost. I must admit I have no idea who that is, but I'm already onboard with this crazy cast...

hannahjohncamenantmanghostsdcc_large.jpg

Walton Goggins was also confirmed, playing Sonny Burch who is more typically found in the Iron Man books. He's the head of Cross Technologies.

waltongogginsantmansdccannounce_big.jpg

Walton Goggins in the MCU is among the best things I've heard all day. Stay tuned for more Marvel funstuffs!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rumored Ant-Man 2 Casting Call Teasing Connection to Civil War?

• Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp-Comic-Con-Poster-Cropped-2.jpeg

New intel regarding a casting call for Ant-Man and The Wasp could be another link to Captain America: Civil War. Following the launch of Paul Rudd as Scott Lang – the ex-convict with a heart of gold chosen by Michael Douglas’ Hank Pym to inherit the Ant-Man suit, the character quickly became a fan-favorite with his effective brand of humor and fascinating superpowers. He was tapped in to join he big ideological conflict between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark – siding with the former, which introduced him to the bevy of other main game players in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and subsequently also landed him back in jail cell, albeit a different, far more secure high-tech and secure one.

Based on the sequel’s official synopsis that was released several days ago, the events of Civil War will directly spill into Scott’s upcoming new standalone adventure. On top of dealing with the consequences of his choices, the shrinking hero will have to go out on a new mission that would uncover some unanswered mysteries, presumably the disappearance and the possible return of Janet van Dyne, who will be played by Michelle Pfeiffer.

In a new report by Omega Underground, a supposed new casting call for Ant-Man and The Wasp has been uncovered which has revealed that the production is looking to tap the services of some extras who will play prisoners and prison guards. The specifics of the announcement are as follows:

“*PRISONERS*

-Males (25-49)

-Tough, rough convict look.

-Tattoos are fine but need clearance.

-All Ethnicities

*PRISON GUARDS*

-Males (30-49)

-5’10-6’2

-Lean/Shaven

-All Ethnicities”

While it is easy to relate this piece of information to Civil War given that the last we see of Scott was imprisoned in the Raft, it does not seem likely that the casting call is for people who sound like they are actually from a normal prison house. Further, with the deep underwater government facility only used for high-profile and superpowered inmates, it is unlikely that they will crowd it with other bad guys especially with Team Cap’s members’ ability – which we presume they were able to do so via the short snippet of Steve coming in to break them out of penitentiary.

So what could be other possible scenarios that might involve prisoners and prison guards in Ant-Man and The Wasp 2 if this report turns out to be true? There’s a chance that after they were able to get out of the Raft and got dispersed, Scott comes back in San Francisco where he becomes a local vigilante causing him to be locked back up in a normal jail cell. It is also plausible that the prison sequence will be part of a flashback while he was serving time inside.

Production of the film has officially started just this month, but photos of Rudd filming for a Marvel film had leaked as early as last month. In the set photo, Rudd is seen filming a foot chase scene which could back-up the idea of Scott being on the run from authorities on his own although with several MCU films overlapping production like Avengers: Inifinity War, the untitled Avengers 4 and Ant-Man and The Wasp – all with which the actor is presumed to have appearance in, it is difficult to pinpoint what film will the scene be included in.