TV Discussion: New series by Donald Glover - Atlanta UPDATE: FINAL 4th Season Sept 2022!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cause everyone from the South doesn't always sound a like..... His character went to Princeton. Which explains alot. My accent changed after College.

Side note... The jail holding cell scene was pretty much perfect. That is exactly how shit plays out. Shit is like some weird Airport waiting area.

I think I just found my new favorite show...

This may be the first time in a long time

Where I saw myself in ever single damn scene.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Can't wait for this!

This shit had me rocking that Tame Impala song all summer.

That shit my ringtone :lol:

For those wondering what song you were talking about

Knew i heard this song before..why didnt they use it as the theme for the show :lol:

Side note... The jail holding cell scene was pretty much perfect. That is exactly how shit plays out. Shit is like some weird Airport waiting area.

That looked like something you'd see on Spike's show Jail (dude spitting the toilet water on the officer) :lol:

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Lol...... I was gone to mention that.

Or college kids too. I do not label the West End or the East Side or SWATS or below I-20 to be "inner city." Everything above I20 is just about gentrified out. Black people cannot afford to live in the "inner city"....esp black families.

Shit is like some weird Airport waiting area.

Man that reminds me of the Greyhound bus station across from Magic City. Plenty of characters inside and outside. I used to go there to pick up and drop off visitors every once in a while. One time that I was in there, I saw a lady let her baby crawl on that floor. It used to be a black and white square carpet floor. That was the dirtiest floor in amerika.

:yes: Dude had on a JR Crickets shirt. And they had Cynne Simpson as the fox affiliate news reporter. They are keeping it true.

Last edited:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why everything black gotta be about music industry, sex, or sports related?

what happen to black lawyers and doctors? cosby set us back 100 years

Tyler Perry has a few shows like that out there if that's what you want. I prefer great writing and acting and this show is that. Its a witty smart comedy and to be honest.....its nothing else out there like it. There's no show you can compare it to. MAYBE Survivor's Remorse but I wouldn't.
I think I just found my new favorite show...

This may be the first time in a long time

Where I saw myself in ever single damn scene.
Yeah this in my top 5 shows right now.....def. in the rotation.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
Donald sound like he from up north. He don't sound like he from Atlanta.

Atl is one of the most transplanted city, so its hard to find a true atlein, my next point everyone from atl doesn't have an accent period

Real Atlantans don't even know this dude, he's not considered a Atlanta rapper. To be honest I had no clue who he was until I seen him on this show.

Based upon your extensive years in atl ? According to you, you live in tdot, so how often you sample the atl life or vibe? And dont tell me that I travel there often bullshit, because if you not in a city day in and out you dont know a vibe,or can begin to vouche for the consensus as for wether or not atl claims him... So what research are you basing this on ? Got charts, a survey?

Lemon pepper wet?

Yes with the oil or the mix, not too wet, for my money its dugans by the clairmont lounge :yes:

Inner city Atlanta?

Nobody lives in "inner city atlanta" cept for gays, rich people, transplants, a couple of entertainers and corporate broads in condos.

The old techwood projects is no more.

Thank you, your money has to be strong to live in the inner city, most of the places that rappers claim are not technically in atl, east point ain't atl, colli park ain't atl decatur ain't atl

Come on man every show doesn't have to be the Cosby's, plus this is supposed to be an offshoot of his life, last I checked he ain't a lawyer, last it shows a dude struggling trying to come up, who doesn't like a perseverance story ?

The show was good, I literally can't wait until Tuesday

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
LOL i was like good everybody talking bout the show. click on and nobody talking about the show lol

NOW

Ern- dope. We'll see what happens with him trying to get his life right. Clearly he was smart, judging by his side by side mug shot on the news.
Paper boy is perfectly cast- a dude who's trying, he ain't too cocky but he's trying.
Darius is enjoyable- He's him 100 of the time and that's all that anybody can ask for. When he had a fucking butcher knife and a plate of cookies.. like you gonna get 1 or the other...

The conversations are top notch, they're not slow, keep up or else.
Also Ern being the guy a white guy can say nigga around and he wouldn't even dare say it around the janitor was a wake up call for Ern lol.

The entire jail scene was great on multiple levels...the guy who hadn't seen his friend.. the guy who discovered he wasn't with a girl... the red hoodie 19 being the realest cat alive.. the crazy dude getting locked up... and nobody trying to help him just let him get locked up every week.

Yup they got a winner if it progresses.
There's infinite material too.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
Or college kids too. I do not label the West End or the East Side or SWATS or below I-20 to be "inner city." Everything above I20 is just about gentrified out. Black people cannot afford to live in the "inner city"....esp black families.

Man that reminds me of the Greyhound bus station across from Magic City. Plenty of characters inside and outside. I used to go there to pick up and drop off visitors every once in a while. One time that I was in there, I saw a lady let her baby crawl on that floor. It used to be a black and white square carpet floor. That was the dirtiest floor in amerika.

:yes: Dude had on a JR Crickets shirt. And they had Cynne Simpson as the fox affiliate news reporter. They are keeping it true.

That greyhound station is pure comedy, too many characters

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Thank you, your money has to be strong to live in the inner city, most of the places that rappers claim are not technically in atl, east point ain't atl, colli park ain't atl decatur ain't atl

I used to wonder why most of the early Atlanta rappers like Kast never showed the city in their videos. It would be like the woods or the burbs.

You go in either direction out of the city for 15-20 mins and you are in pine trees, dirt roads and country.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Atl is one of the most transplanted city, so its hard to find a true atlein, my next point everyone from atl doesn't have an accent period

Based upon your extensive years in atl ? According to you, you live in tdot, so how often you sample the atl life or vibe? And dont tell me that I travel there often bullshit, because if you not in a city day in and out you dont know a vibe,or can begin to vouche for the consensus as for wether or not atl claims him... So what research are you basing this on ? Got charts, a survey?
I could have sworn I already mentioned in this thread that I also have properties in Atlanta. So I be in Atlanta a lot throughout the year checking on my assets and I've been in and out of the city since the early 90's when I acquired my properties there. So I know all about ATL.

Jay_from_dade

RawStrippers&Nut N Models
Certified Pussy Poster
Cause everyone from the South doesn't always sound a like..... His character went to Princeton. Which explains alot. My accent changed after College.

Bruh I got detained in Clayco and when I tell you I was there just like him for damn near 17 hours, I was beggin to be put in a cell so i could got to sleep.

You ever been to Atlanta JamesATL? :lol: You can throw a rock and hit a rapper, the show fits it perfect.

And if you was actually paying attention, the first two episodes had nothing to do with rap, "rap" is just the catalyst to propel the story forward.

LegalMoney

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And if you was actually paying attention, the first two episodes had nothing to do with rap, "rap" is just the catalyst to propel the story forward.

Thank you family! I was thinking cats must watch TV without the sound on, because the first two episodes, especially episode 2, only incorporated a few rap elements as a basis for the shows various motifs.

For a show about music there is very little background or ambient music and I think that's by design.

A very impressive debut but I pray Donald doesn't get too cute and delve off the deep end. The show as we saw it was great, don't get extra.

The Technician

Formerly Commandernchief
BGOL Investor
I planned on checking this out, but forgot about it. I'm not from Atlanta or from the south. I'm a fan of Donald Glover and I want to support this black TV. Can someone who knows absolutely nothing about Atlanta enjoy the show?

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
did 1 or 2 eps debut last nite? just asking cuz ep 2 links are up for those who may not know

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They had a simulated light come out of the box.

:lol:

WaMsmI.gif

there were so many subtle movie references...

I was gonna live tweet

but I kept rewinding so much it took me an hour and a half to watch it.

dirkthesuave

Rising Star
Registered
Shit was great in my opinion. They capture the comedy as well as the complexity of black culture quite well. I know folk from ATL with harder dialects but most folks outside the South wouldn't understand that shit or maybe even get turned off. I like what they doing. Great pilot.