Cops shoot and kill black man Alton Sterling at point blank range in Baton Rouge

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Everyone Is Talking About This Photo From the Protests in Baton Rouge
Rishi Iyengar @Iyengarish
5:39 AM ET
rtsh3xr.jpg

A demonstrator protesting the shooting death of Alton Sterling is detained by law enforcement near the headquarters of the Baton Rouge Police Department in Baton Rouge, La., on July 9, 2016
The image of a seemingly serene female protester making her stand has gone viral

Over the past 48 hours in Baton Rouge, La., where the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling by police officers last week has reignited a national conversation on race and policing, over 120 protesters have been arrested— including prominent Black Lives Matter activist DeRay McKesson.

But intense attention, however, has been focused on the image of the arrest of a lone woman in a flowing dress that has since gone viral. The woman stands, arms crossed, in front of a phalanx of officers, silent — even serene — but seemingly refusing to budge.

Although the woman’s identity is not yet confirmed, her actions were described in detail by the photographer who captured the image.

“A group of demonstrators had formed a blockade — blocked Airline Highway, which runs in front of Baton Rouge Police headquarters,” Jonathan Bachman, a New Orleans–based photographer who was on assignment for Reuters, told the Atlantic. Bachman said officers belonging to several divisions of Louisiana law enforcement, many clad in riot gear, descended on the highway to clear the protesters from its path.

“I saw this woman, and she was standing in the first lane in that road,” he said. “It happened quickly, but I could tell that she wasn’t going to move, and it seemed like she was making her stand. To me it seemed like: You’re going to have to come and get me.”

Bachman further stressed that in contrast to the violence and confrontation that has marked other protests across the country (some of which also broke out in Baton Rouge later), this interaction was completely peaceful.

“It wasn’t very violent. She didn’t say anything,” he added. “She didn’t resist, and the police didn’t drag her off.”

The image was shared widely on social media and by publicationsworldwide, with one commenter on the page of New York Daily Newsreporter Shaun King calling it a “legendary” picture that will someday be in “history and art books,” according to the BBC.

King himself later tweeted that he had spoken to one of the woman’s best friends, and added that she had a 5-year-old son. Although he did not reveal her identity, he subsequently tweeted that she had been released from prison on Sunday evening.

In another interview with BuzzFeed, Bachman, the photographer, said he was “humbled” by the response to his image.

“That was the first image I transferred [to Reuters] because I knew it was going to be an important photo,” he said. “You can take images of plenty of people getting arrested, but I think this one speaks more to the movement and what the demonstrators are trying to accomplish here in Baton Rouge.”

http://time.com/4400563/baton-rouge...arrest-photo-iconic-reuters-jonathan-bachman/

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
rtsh3xr.jpg

A demonstrator protesting the shooting death of Alton Sterling is detained by law enforcement near the headquarters of the Baton Rouge Police Department in Baton Rouge, La., on July 9, 2016
The image of a seemingly serene female protester making her stand has gone viral

Over the past 48 hours in Baton Rouge, La., where the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling by police officers last week has reignited a national conversation on race and policing, over 120 protesters have been arrested— including prominent Black Lives Matter activist DeRay McKesson.

But intense attention, however, has been focused on the image of the arrest of a lone woman in a flowing dress that has since gone viral. The woman stands, arms crossed, in front of a phalanx of officers, silent — even serene — but seemingly refusing to budge.

Although the woman’s identity is not yet confirmed, her actions were described in detail by the photographer who captured the image.

“A group of demonstrators had formed a blockade — blocked Airline Highway, which runs in front of Baton Rouge Police headquarters,” Jonathan Bachman, a New Orleans–based photographer who was on assignment for Reuters, told the Atlantic. Bachman said officers belonging to several divisions of Louisiana law enforcement, many clad in riot gear, descended on the highway to clear the protesters from its path.

“I saw this woman, and she was standing in the first lane in that road,” he said. “It happened quickly, but I could tell that she wasn’t going to move, and it seemed like she was making her stand. To me it seemed like: You’re going to have to come and get me.”

Bachman further stressed that in contrast to the violence and confrontation that has marked other protests across the country (some of which also broke out in Baton Rouge later), this interaction was completely peaceful.

“It wasn’t very violent. She didn’t say anything,” he added. “She didn’t resist, and the police didn’t drag her off.”

The image was shared widely on social media and by publicationsworldwide, with one commenter on the page of New York Daily Newsreporter Shaun King calling it a “legendary” picture that will someday be in “history and art books,” according to the BBC.

King himself later tweeted that he had spoken to one of the woman’s best friends, and added that she had a 5-year-old son. Although he did not reveal her identity, he subsequently tweeted that she had been released from prison on Sunday evening.

In another interview with BuzzFeed, Bachman, the photographer, said he was “humbled” by the response to his image.

“That was the first image I transferred [to Reuters] because I knew it was going to be an important photo,” he said. “You can take images of plenty of people getting arrested, but I think this one speaks more to the movement and what the demonstrators are trying to accomplish here in Baton Rouge.”

http://time.com/4400563/baton-rouge...arrest-photo-iconic-reuters-jonathan-bachman/

BBC had a really good write up about that photograph also. The photographer worked for reuters, so it is going international.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
rtsh3xr.jpg

Is all that gear necessary? They are dressed like they're going to fight bugs on Klendathu.

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
BBC had a really good write up about that photograph also. The photographer worked for reuters, so it is going international.

Yeah, I also saw a Sister on CNN on Sunday commenting on the international angle. Fux Snooze would never let you know how many others around the world are shocked and sympathetic towards our cause.

BTW....has anyone heard anything from "ISIS" lately?

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Cacs parading him around and he's the so. Called lead of BLM yet this nigga is all about photo ops.. And he's a faggit too..

That nigga ain't about no movement but getting paid..

I was asking because I know Deray personally. I'm obviously biased because he's a friend of mine. I've asked him to meet with 4-5 people at a time..no media and unknown people and he's spent hours of his time with him to discuss the movement, etc. Deray is ready to die for this shit, homie....and real talk..this dude's chances of being physically hurt or worse are high.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I was asking because I know Deray personally. I'm obviously biased because he's a friend of mine. I've asked him to meet with 4-5 people at a time..no media and unknown people and he's spent hours of his time with him to discuss the movement, etc. Deray is ready to die for this shit, homie....and real talk..this dude's chances of being physically hurt or worse are high.

So what os Deray's plan? He is talking about buliding an economic base?, does he actually think he can change the system from within(his new job is within the local government of Baltimore right?) , does he actually think anyone running for president can help us. What exactly is his plan to stop the us from getting murdered by race soldiers and getting away with it?

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

I don't know Bruh but you know him on a personal level so I'll take your word for it and I know you ain't about the wolf tickets

Dude's energy is off to me for some reason...

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
So what os Deray's plan? He is talking about buliding an economic base?, does he actually think he can change the system from within(his new job is within the local government of Baltimore right?) , does he actually think anyone running for president can help us. What exactly is his plan to stop the us from getting murdered by race soldiers and getting away with it?

They have a platform laid out. All it takes is a couple of searches to see what it is: Campaign Zero.

About this new job? People gotta eat man.

He's written on what he thinks about the current candidates so you can catch that with a search too.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I don't know Bruh but you know him on a personal level so I'll take your word for it and I know you ain't about the wolf tickets

Dude's energy is off to me for some reason...

No doubt. I used to have my questions to until we met up and discussed some things. I think the people mistake his understanding of how to build alliances to spread the message as him marketing for himself. I used to have my questions about that tactic as well. He's a good dude though man...definitely not perfect but he has good intentions. I do know that much.
Dude wasn't in it for financial reasons though man. he took that job because he had too for the much part as he was burning through savings. That dude wears the same shit and even his phones (he carries two) were all beat down and shit last time I met up with him.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
So a Breitbart reporter was arrested last night and detained with DeRay and other protestors. He said his arrest was unconstitutional. Responses have been from he shouldn't have been interfering with police, to DeRay and them have "got to him".

He got his ass tossed in that cell too now he's enlightened.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
He got his ass tossed in that cell too now he's enlightened.

I'm not convinced about that, but it's just funny to me how the protestors and liberals are always crying wolf until they personally get caught up. Wes Lowery was still messing with him after that over the write up they did when he got arrested in Ferguson. And you have sooooo many white people mad at the Breitbart reporter. They don't want to consume any info that challenges their worldview. (Or they know it to be true and don't want the truth to spread.)

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I'm not convinced about that, but it's just funny to me how the protestors and liberals are always crying wolf until they personally get caught up. Wes Lowery was still messing with him after that over the write up they did when he got arrested in Ferguson. And you have sooooo many white people mad at the Breitbart reporter. They don't want to consume any info that challenges their worldview. (Or they know it to be true and don't want the truth to spread.)

Oh. I'm stretching the "enlightenment" part, but shit is all sweet until it happens to you.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
No doubt. I used to have my questions to until we met up and discussed some things. I think the people mistake his understanding of how to build alliances to spread the message as him marketing for himself. I used to have my questions about that tactic as well. He's a good dude though man...definitely not perfect but he has good intentions. I do know that much.
Dude wasn't in it for financial reasons though man. he took that job because he had too for the much part as he was burning through savings. That dude wears the same shit and even his phones (he carries too) were all beat down and shit last time I met up with him.

No doubt I'm glad you can vouch for the brother and I'll def change my opinion on him..

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
You know we probably do need a separate thread specifically for the protest related info.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

This is why Black people never go anywhere collectively. always going fucking hard on those trying to help. DeRay is sweet as fuck, which complicates things, as far Black strength goes and the image of Black masculinity juxtaposed against white supremacy ..but his action for the last 3 years or more has been exemplary, consistently on task and always about giving voice to those that can't handle the camera, and are too in pain to tell their truth. that new job is in his lane (picking teachers), and while most would be at work getting checks off that 160k, he is still in the streets getting arrested in the worst state to be arrested in the USA in LA.

He is working man!!!, support those folks trying to do better.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
and while most would be at work getting checks off that 160k, he is still in the streets getting arrested in the worst state to be arrested in the USA in LA..

The work in B.R. convinced me. A lot of us who had just met up with him were wondering how taking the new job was going to change his activism.. were literally just talking about it the night before, and dude was back on the ground in B.R. on his birthday. He's committed.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

This. If anyone is out there working for us, I'm with them. I think we all have a tendency (myself included) to be cynical... justifiably so in most cases..but if anyone is out there on the front line (or even behind the scenes for that matter), they get props for me if they're obviously fighting the good fight....because they don't have to be doing it...and some of these people are literally risking their lives. Neta broke down when he got arrested because likely nothing would happen but all of them know first hand that sometimes you can get thrown in a truck (they had them in armored trucks) and not come out alive.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I've been around long enough to see many, many Black Unity movements get stalled and sidetracked by the same bullshit. They use it all the time. Remove the focus of the movement by attaching all types of negative shit to it. Even better is when you get a bunch of coons telling you how good the food taste at massa's house; ignore the fact that it's table scraps. THE SAME FUCKING SHIT. j edgar hoover perfected the technique though it's been in use for centuries.

My point? This country was built by the systematic suppression of people of color. Mainly the extermination of the First People and the enslavement and free labor of Afrikans. That is the ONLY issue. Until the racist system is dismantled we will continue to have both police brutality and public uprisings.

I really don't give a fuck who gets what because I'm tired and mad. I don't condone random violence but this shit is absolutely ridiculous.

I'll copy & paste this in both threads because I think the primary issue is the same.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is why Black people never go anywhere collectively. always going fucking hard on those trying to help. DeRay is sweet as fuck, which complicates things, as far Black strength goes and the image of Black masculinity juxtaposed against white supremacy ..but his action for the last 3 years or more has been exemplary, consistently on task and always about giving voice to those that can't handle the camera, and are too in pain to tell their truth. that new job is in his lane (picking teachers), and while most would be at work getting checks off that 160k, he is still in the streets getting arrested in the worst state to be arrested in the USA in LA.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it, I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But the fact that he is on CNN so much is a red flag. There is a reason Nelly Fuller, Claude Anderson, Professor James Smalls, Boyce Watkins, Dr.Joy Degruy, Michelle Alexander,LOUIS FARRAKHAN or George Fraser on CNN or any other media outlet. Sorry but I don't trust him.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I'm sorry I just don't buy it, I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But the fact that he is on CNN so much is a red flag. There is a reason Nelly Fuller, Claude Anderson, Professor James Smalls, Boyce Watkins, Dr.Joy Degruy, Michelle Alexander,LOUIS FARRAKHAN or George Fraser on CNN or any other media outlet. Sorry but I don't trust him.

What's the other common thing about everyone you've named? They're old. This new movement is being driven by millennials. That's why you don't see them as much on TV. Those older people aren't on the front line at these protests now. There were a bunch of black lives matter people on tv today (and not just Deray) and the common theme is that they're young. It's just a different cast of people now... who are influential in other ways.

I do agree with the other thing you've implying.. the real militant side of the movement is not getting airtime. That's to be expected, though. This BLM movement is akin to what MLK was doing. The more revolutionary voices aren't getting that exposure.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What's the other common thing about everyone you've named? They're old. This new movement is being driven by millennials. That's why you don't see them as much on TV. There were a bunch of black lives matter people on tv today (and not just Deray) and the common theme is that they're young.

So what? That makes them legit? They may be "old" but they have been down with our cause for a LONG time, they have skin in the game. And you said it yourself, they where on TV! The media will not let anyone who legitimately wants the best for our community speak that often. And you say they're old?, it's not like it's a football game these.elders have knowledge of what's.going on, this ain't nothing new they seen worse if anything they need to be talking to them.

You said DeRay is building a platform, please explain what that is? BTW the MLK way didn't work and even Martin was getting "militant" towards the end.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
So what? That makes them legit? They may be "old" but they have been down with our cause for a LONG time, they have skin in the game.

I'm telling you why you don't see them on TV. The Black Lives Matter movement is front and center and the youth are driving it. It's obvious why they're getting the air time.

And you said it yourself, they where on TV! The media will not let anyone who legitimately wants the best for our community speak that often.

I know a lot of these people personally that are getting on TV. They legitimately want what's best for the community so that statement above is a fail. You just would rather see different faces. That's ok, but you can't speak about their legitimacy.

And you say they're old?, it's not like it's a football game these.elders have knowledge of what's.going on, this ain't nothing new they seen worse if anything they need to be talking to them.

I'm telling you why they're not on TV. They're not on the front lines at these protests when things are going down. That's where the stories are happening. They're around and advising. Deray got bailed out by some elders. However, the youth are on the front lines right now. Thus, when the media wants to report on what's happening, they're going to the people who are there on the front lines.

And don't get it twisted. These people who are doing the interviews are doing real work when they're off camera.

And don't take my telling why it's happening for what "should" be happening. I'm just giving you a pretty significant reason why some of these faces are getting the air time. And some of them are on the more revolutionary side. One of the BLM organizers was on CNN yesterday say that the police, as on organization, needs to be completely disbanded as an institution...not reformed... dismantled completely.

You said DeRay is building a platform, please explain what that is? BTW the MLK way didn't work and even Martin was getting "militant" towards the end.

I gave you the name of one of the platforms in a previous post. Campaign Zero. Do a google search and read up. There are others.

MLK was always "militant", it was just in a more controlled fashion. I don't think he became more "militant" at the end, he just moved his argument from race to class which made him more threatening to the power structure.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Deray is a quick thinker. He's well spoken, can get points across concisely that make for good sound bites. He's rarely emotional to the point that he can be brought off message, and is good at checking people who try to derail the conversation. The media has tried to make him the leader and representative of all things BLM related, but he has resisted that labeling. Some people got jealous of the attention he received, but I have watched him and other BLM activists since Ferguson, they are the most visible because they are on the front lines, documenting everything. Media initially reached out to them regarding the content they were posting.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

I only became aware of Joy DeGruy in the past year. Her youtube videos should be required viewing for everyone, imo.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm telling you why you don't see them on TV. The Black Lives Matter movement is front and center and the youth are driving it. It's obvious why they're getting the air time.

According to who? I'm sorry but I CANNOT trust anyone the media chooses to cover. It is common sense for me as a black man at this point that anyone they regularly put on television supports their agenda, whether they know or not.

I know a lot of these people personally that are getting on TV. They legitimately want what's best for the community so that statement above is a fail. You just would rather see different faces. That's ok, but you can't speak about their legitimacy.

So I can't have my own opinion and speak on their legitimacy because you know them personally? Honestly I'm glad none of the people I mentioned appear on TV because the enemy would know have some idea of what kind of solutions to our problems we are going to attempt. That would be very bad for our cause.

I'm telling you why they're not on TV. They're not on the front lines at these protests when things are going down. That's where the stories are happening. They're around and advising. Deray got bailed out by some elders. However, the youth are on the front lines right now. Thus, when the media wants to report on what's happening, they're going to the people who are there on the front lines.

The protest and marching is pointless, I want to see them raise a some money to get lawyers help the brothers that were falsely accused in Texas or just put some $$ in their pocket, or help out the family of the brother who was murdered in Minnesota with some $$$.

And don't get it twisted. These people who are doing the interviews are doing real work when they're off camera.

And don't take my telling why it's happening for what "should" be happening. I'm just giving you a pretty significant reason why some of these faces are getting the air time. And some of them are on the more revolutionary side. One of the BLM organizers was on CNN yesterday say that the police, as on organization, needs to be completely disbanded as an institution...not reformed... dismantled completely.

Not buying it, trust me I hope I'm wrong but I was one of many that was completely fooled by Barack Obama and I don't trust anyone. And again, what is highlighted in bold is just talk. Micah Johnson was revolutionary, that dude who's name you can't even remember is just talking, it's too late in the day to be talking about what should be. It's time to take action.

I gave you the name of one of the platforms in a previous post. Campaign Zero. Do a google search and read up. There are others.

MLK was always "militant", it was just in a more controlled fashion. I don't think he became more "militant" at the end, he just moved his argument from race to class which made him more threatening to the power structure.

I'm not impressed, I'm not saying they should give up but I'm not impressed with that platform at all. From what I read their idea is to proposed policy solutions for a system that is rotten to the core? It's more of trying to change a system that is not designed for you. And to top it off Zimmerman and the church shooter were not cops and pretty much got away with it. Not impressed at all.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Deray is a quick thinker. He's well spoken, can get points across concisely that make for good sound bites. He's rarely emotional to the point that he can be brought off message, and is good at checking people who try to derail the conversation. The media has tried to make him the leader and representative of all things BLM related, but he has resisted that labeling. Some people got jealous of the attention he received, but I have watched him and other BLM activists since Ferguson, they are the most visible because they are on the front lines, documenting everything. Media initially reached out to them regarding the content they were posting.

Now THAT makes sense. Being well spoken and providing sound bites is cool but I like to see tangle results. You gotta get your hands dirty, and I don't mean "going to jail".

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I only became aware of Joy DeGruy in the past year. Her youtube videos should be required viewing for everyone, imo.

Check out Dambisa Moyo, She is an economist that Bill Gates came after. Now THAT's someone I would listen to. To have Bill Gates talk funny style about you? The sister is definitely on to something big.